ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin's Popularity Will Never Translate to the WNBA

trying to just keep it from happening, doesn't mean I think it's a widespread issue. Why wait until it's a bigger problem?
Here’s the thing. Remember Renee Richard’s on the women’s pro tennis tour? The first trans woman on the pro tour and everyone was outraged and she was going to take over the women’s game? That was the late 70’s or early 80’s. 40 years ago. Never materialized. Again, the % of trans athletes in Iowa is 1%. Which means there might be 1 trans athlete in the entire Metro conference in all sports. If even that. And then take into account that are they all (all 1%) going to actually be good? Do you really think people are transitioning from a man to a woman to dominate in sports?

Here’s the thing. Remember Renee Richard’s on the women’s pro tennis tour? The first trans woman on the pro tour and everyone was outraged and she was going to take over the women’s game? That was the late 70’s or early 80’s. 40 years ago. Never materialized. Again, the % of trans athletes in Iowa is 1%. Which means there might be 1 trans athlete in the entire Metro conference in all sports. If even that. And then take into account that are they all (all 1%) going to actually be good? Do you really think people are transitioning from a man to a woman to dominate in sports?
no, but what's with the pushback? Why do you think it is ok for it to happen even one time?

I'm very interested to see this "evidence" that we're on the verge of some mass displacement by trans people in women's sports
I didn't say mass displacement. If you don't think having a couple college basketball players who are trans would change the game, you are wrong. It would not be fair to the other players....it doesn't take a massive amount of players to effect a massive amount. 18 different teams would have all their athletes effected by just one participant.

I didn't say mass displacement. If you don't think having a couple college basketball players who are trans would change the game, you are wrong. It would not be fair to the other players....it doesn't take a massive amount of players to effect a massive amount. 18 different teams would have all their athletes effected by just one participant.
1. It's obvious that you have little-to-no interaction with actual trans people; many start hormone therapy long before they formally transition. It's not this fantastical scenario of bulky men putting on wigs like you seem to think.
2. You claimed to have evidence from "other countries" supporting your claims, I'm really just waiting to see an iota of credible data.

1. It's obvious that you have little-to-no interaction with actual trans people; many start hormone therapy long before they formally transition. It's not this fantastical scenario of bulky men putting on wigs like you seem to think.
2. You claimed to have evidence from "other countries" supporting your claims, I'm really just waiting to see an iota of credible data.
my ex sister in law became my ex brother in law, so...I have some community engagement. I know that hormone therapy begins before transitioning. Again, why do you think they should be allowed to participate with biological women. Look up femoral angles, advantage Biomen.

Reactions: HawkGem11
They would need available arenas. And now you have people spending money on the NBA that would need to buy a ticket for a WNBA game the next night? They can't and don't want to compete against the NBA.
Fair enough. I just think a summer leagues growth has a cap. Maybe overall it's the best fit for the WNBA though.

Fair enough. I just think a summer leagues growth has a cap. Maybe overall it's the best fit for the WNBA though.
By the way I kind of agree and it's such a short season (40 games or so) and goes by so fast that I think it of course hurts attendance and TV ratings. But if it's thrown on at the same time as the college game in both mens and womens and also NBA they'd get killed there as well. Eventually they'll either have to stand on their own 2 feet in the Summer and hope they can get enough attendance and ratings. We all only have so much time as you said.

no, but what's with the pushback? Why do you think it is ok for it to happen even one time?

I don't know . . . maybe so a kid doesn't put a bullet through her brain?

The statement provided by the Governor for the State of Utah summed it up about the best for me. Paraphrasing . . . "Personally, I don't understand the phenomenon. But, the number of trans athletes in this state are less than 5. And there is no evidence that they are impacting competition at all. There is however, loads of evidence of trans kids committing suicide when they are isolated and not accepted. So . . . if a trans kid wants to play a sport, achieve some acceptance, and it leads to far fewer incidents of kids wanting to kill themselves, I'm for inclusion, not exclusion."

I don't know . . . maybe so a kid doesn't put a bullet through her brain?

The statement provided by the Governor for the State of Utah summed it up about the best for me. Paraphrasing . . . "Personally, I don't understand the phenomenon. But, the number of trans athletes in this state are less than 5. And there is no evidence that they are impacting competition at all. There is however, loads of evidence of trans kids committing suicide when they are isolated and not accepted. So . . . if a trans kid wants to play a sport, achieve some acceptance, and it leads to far fewer incidents of kids wanting to kill themselves, I'm for inclusion, not exclusion."
Maybe mental health should be better funded. We know it should. Where do you stop then? High school, college,pro? Do you think opponents and even some teammates are accepting?

Maybe mental health should be better funded. We know it should. Where do you stop then? High school, college,pro? Do you think opponents and even some teammates are accepting?
Did you not see what @AuroraHawk posted? 5 Trans athletes in the entire state of Utah and you're asking where does it stop? Most Trans kids already have enough issues as it is. Of course there's always the anomaly of the 1 or 2 that are actually good and taking a spot. For the most part 99% of girls sports are still girls playing sports.

Did you not see what @AuroraHawk posted? 5 Trans athletes in the entire state of Utah and you're asking where does it stop? Most Trans kids already have enough issues as it is. Of course there's always the anomaly of the 1 or 2 that are actually good and taking a spot. For the most part 99% of girls sports are still girls playing sports.
I hear that, I also think it’s unfair to any females who have to compete against a biological male. So where do you draw the line on allowing them to compete?

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion

I'd rely on the entities that have looked into these issues and are charged with the responsibility of formulating the rules and regulations.

Reactions: Mohawkeye

Call me when those who are the loudest about the unfairness of trans athletes become the loudest about markedly increasing funding for mental health services.

As of right now, those who are the loudest about the unfairness of trans athletes are the ones banning books, calling teachers pedophiles, and advocating for public funds to be used for private schools with zero oversight as to how public funds are being used. Largely the same group that reveres potential life in the womb and then declares that supposedly revered life is "not their problem" upon drawing first breath.

Maybe just end women's sports. Only one Iowa basketball team Best 12 or 13 players play.
Women do want equality and want to be treated like men.

I am totally onboard with unisex sports. No mens....No womens.....No panties in a bunch over trans......if you are good enough you play.

Call me when those who are the loudest about the unfairness of trans athletes become the loudest about markedly increasing funding for mental health services.

As of right now, those who are the loudest about the unfairness of trans athletes are the ones banning books, calling teachers pedophiles, and advocating for public funds to be used for private schools with zero oversight as to how public funds are being used. Largely the same group that reveres potential life in the womb and then declares that supposedly revered life is "not their problem" upon drawing first breath.
you aren't talking to me on that though..I use logic and think we need more mental health care funding, more compromise on abortion(by both sides) and that no formerly male athlete should compete meaningfully against women.

Reactions: warriors dad
Take a Sunday drive through Waukee, Clive, Urbandale and Grimes. Astounding the number of new homes being built. Beautiful homes in the 500k-700k price range. Homes that would cost 5X that much on the East and West Coasts. Couple that with gas that costs twice as much, higher taxes, traffic congestion, dirty air, crime, etc. and it's a wonder anyone still lives there.
I bought my house for 48 grand in 2003. But i do live in a tiny town in north east Iowa

you aren't talking to me on that though..I use logic and think we need more mental health care funding, more compromise on abortion(by both sides) and that no formerly male athlete should compete meaningfully against women.
So Aurora gives you a reason. It seems sports are more important to you than people's lives. Clear evidence was explained to you and obviously doesn't resonate with you. Take your tired argument and put it somewhere. Lost in all the bullshit are actual real life people. Who take their lives because of people like you. There's no argument you can make that doesn't make me think you're not a piece of shit.

Reactions: littlez
So Aurora gives you a reason. It seems sports are more important to you than people's lives. Clear evidence was explained to you and obviously doesn't resonate with you. Take your tired argument and put it somewhere. Lost in all the bullshit are actual real life people. Who take their lives because of people like you. There's no argument you can make that doesn't make me think you're not a piece of shit.
Free country. I’m not anti people being happy, but if we are talking fair competition, that’s not it.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Competition vs people dying. I got it. It is a free country. But not for trans people. Self important piece of crap.
You think playing college basketball is important for suicide prevention? If they b want to play and compete, there are places to do it that don’t include the NCAA. I’m not wanting people to commit suicide, you’re reaching. Their are rules of competition and fairness. I’m not being hateful, you are.

You think playing college basketball is important for suicide prevention?
Do you think people matter? Don't know what leads people to be like ClarindaAss. It's a sport. In the grand scheme of life sports seems to be more important to you than people. **** off with your comment. What a strange redirection. Where did I say that basketball is important for suicide prevention? Come on man, do better. All your countryman deserve a chance at a good life.

Do you think people matter? Don't know what leads people to be like ClarindaAss. It's a sport. In the grand scheme of life sports seems to be more important to you than people. **** off with your comment. What a strange redirection. Where did I say that basketball is important for suicide prevention? Come on man, do better. All your countryman deserve a chance at a good life.
Your bitterness prevents you from having a discussion based on merit and logic. You are ok with screwing over biological females in competition that they have worked their asses off for. There is counseling, and as I stated earlier, should be more mental health counseling available, for Pierre who are depressed. I understand depression, Maybe we are talking past each other. I don’t think biological men should compete against women in college athletics. High school, leave up to states. Scholarships, roster spots, fairness at a higher level beyond high school should have some weight. There are rec leagues in a number of sports that most people wouldn’t care who played in. Being in athletics is a privilege, not a right. Do you think I am judging people who transition? No, I’m starting it’s unfair to women at higher levels ( really at all levels) to have to compete against bio males. Maybe if the puberty blockers were used, Q angles were feminine, bone density, lung capacity, etc were kept from ever being masculine.

Bc it’s really not a big deal. Sports are just games we assign meaning to bc they’re fun. That’s really all they are, especially when it’s kids playing them. It’s not that deep. Get over it.

Caring about this as though it’s anything deeper just results in the creepy right wing “solutions” we’re seeing all over the country like monthly period reporting and genital exams. That’s the end goal for anti-trans people who want to “protect sports” — they’re pedos and they’re taking you for a ride, as “conservative” policy makers usually do. They’re very good at convincing people to care about shit so they can get their kicks. Protect kids, let them play sports.

Nobody is "banning" books. Deciding what is age-appropriate for curriculum is not "banning books" any more than giving movies or videos games an age rating is "banning" them. Making judgements about what minors should or should not be exposed to at various ages has always been fundamental to parenting and education and should be a healthy discussion.

You were making some good points until you started rattling off all the predictable cliches.

Last edited:
Bc it’s really not a big deal. Sports are just games we assign meaning to bc they’re fun. That’s really all they are, especially when it’s kids playing them. It’s not that deep. Get over it.

Caring about this as though it’s anything deeper just results in the creepy right wing “solutions” we’re seeing all over the country like monthly period reporting and genital exams. That’s the end goal for anti-trans people who want to “protect sports” — they’re pedos and they’re taking you for a ride, as “conservative” policy makers usually do. They’re very good at convincing people to care about shit so they can get their kicks. Protect kids, let them play sports.
I’m not on board with the period tracking, etc. I’m talking about NCAA level competition being fair. We can agree to disagree, but your hatred doesn’t need to blind you and have it lump me with others.

Reactions: littlez
99% is a gross underestimation. I'd say it is likely 99.99% of participants in girls' sports have not gone through the process of transitioning.

Rules, processes, and regulations for participation of trans female athletes have existed for quite some time and largely flew under the radar screen because it wasn't a problem.

I've written it before and I'll write it again. Wake me up when you see scores and scores of male athletes who can't make varsity teams start undergoing the rigorous process of transitioning simply to play on a varsity sport.

Yet another "phantom problem" that our Governor insisted needed to be solved. Yawn.

Nobody is "banning" books. Deciding what is age-appropriate for curriculum is not "banning books" any more than giving movies or videos games an age rating is "banning" them. Making judgements about what minors should or should not be exposed to at various ages has always been fundamental to parenting and education and should be a healthy discussion.

You were making some good points until you started rattling off all the predictable cliches.

It's not cliche. The exact same political figures that are (1) passing laws about what books can be in schools, (2) calling teachers pedophiles, (3) advocating that public funds be used for private schools without oversight are the ones who felt it necessary to pass a law to ban trans females from participating in athletics in the state - including UNI, ISU and U of Iowa.

School librarians usually have a degree in Library Science. Full-time teachers must have a degree in Education. High school athletics have oversight bodies which create rules, processes, and regulations. All of their hands have been tied by Iowa's state government. The party of "limited government?" (Shrug my shoulders)

Please expand upon this. "Integrity?"
We banned Athletes for gambling on sports that weren't even the ones they play in. Yet, you are willing to have NCAA competition include biological males compete against women, in the name of making them feel included. Do you feel like we should just allow people to juice up, use other performance enhancers etc? I can go either way with this, but we aren't going to pick and choose...the feelings of the females who may lose rosters spots or games because of the feelings of a transwoman? That's not hate, it's a question of logic, taking the emotion out of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT