ADVERTISEMENT

California cops shoot double amputee

There's some solid posts from both points of view in this thread. The fact he had stabbed someone and wouldn't drop his weapon is certainly a big one. With that said, this post keeps coming to mind:
If you can’t subdue a legless man without shooting him you shouldn’t be a cop.
Which makes me wonder...what if it was a 12 year old kid that just stabbed someone with a butcher knife? Are we still okay with firing 10 rounds into him if he acts like he's going to throw the knife at the cops?
The more I think about it, the more I feel like the cops could have waited this one out a bit and not had to kill someone.

This is a tough one. The suspect doesn't really have a leg to stand on in this scenario.

I kid I kid. Seems unnecessary. As Ping mentioned, throwing a knife isn't easy. You also have to assume the police had a vest on, so let's say the lil guy was an expert knife chucker, he's still not getting one into the chest of an officer.

I did a Google search on your last comment.

Vests that are designed to protect against bullets will not be able to protect against edged and spiked weapons, such as knives, bottles or needles. Similarly, a vest that is resistant to edged blades may not be able to protect against spiked weapons.

Reactions: Gimmered
So many people criticizing the police for eliminating a guy who just got done stabbing someone then acted as though he was going to throw a knife at them.

What a world we live in….
I fear a world in which people are so easily triggered by being critical of police. Police already have enough power as it is. Seems people like you want their power unlimited and unchecked.

You act like people, by criticizing the police in this matter, are letting the now-dead stabbed off the hook? This isn’t some either-or bullshit paradigm, you dumb fùck.

I did a Google search on your last comment.

Vests that are designed to protect against bullets will not be able to protect against edged and spiked weapons, such as knives, bottles or needles. Similarly, a vest that is resistant to edged blades may not be able to protect against spiked weapons.

I'm sure the man w/ no legs would have a whole shit ton of force behind that throw.

I fear a world in which people are so easily triggered by being critical of police. Police already have enough power as it is. Seems people like you want their power unlimited and unchecked.

You act like people, by criticizing the police in this matter, are letting the now-dead stabbed off the hook? This isn’t some either-or bullshit paradigm, you dumb fùck.
It’s more my lack of caring about the dead individual. If he just stabbed some random person for no reason then I don’t care if he got shot by police or mauled to death by a pack of chihuahuas. Good riddance.

In this scenario, he had a knife, he’s already indicated his ability to use it, he didn’t put it down, so good riddance.

It’s more my lack of caring about the dead individual. If he just stabbed some random person for no reason then I don’t care if he got shot by police or mauled to death by a pack of chihuahuas. Good riddance.

In this scenario, he had a knife, he’s already indicated his ability to use it, he didn’t put it down, so good riddance.
Lol. JFC. Criticism of the police isn’t necessarily about caring one way or the other about some guy who stabbed someone. It’s about giving a shit about law and order and due process and police behaving in such a way that maybe their “brand” wouldn’t be ”victim” of such negative public perception.

I swear, the “back the blue” nimrods have it ass-backwards. Want to back the blue? Fight the things that render society less and less stable, fight the things that police do to make themselves look bad.

Defending police at every turn is not much different than enabling the spoiled little punk kid constantly let off the hook because, you know, daddy is rich or whatever.

No, I just know I've probably spent a ton of time arguing with you on one of your other 30 handles you've had, and I'm not going to make the same mistake with this one.

30 handles? Care to explain what you mean?

Is this how you normally handle interaction upon being called out for posting things that don't make sense?

Lol. JFC. Criticism of the police isn’t necessarily about caring one way or the other about some guy who stabbed someone. It’s about giving a shit about law and order and due process and police behaving in such a way that maybe their “brand” wouldn’t be ”victim” of such negative public perception.

I swear, the “back the blue” nimrods have it ass-backwards. Want to back the blue? Fight the things that render society less and less stable, fight the things that police do to make themselves look bad.

Defending police at every turn is not much different than enabling the spoiled little punk kid constantly let off the hook because, you know, daddy is rich or whatever.
I don’t see where the police should be criticized based on what we know or think we know.
  • Guy stabs someone
  • Guy allegedly threatened to throw knife at others/police
  • Guy didn’t put knife down
  • Cops shoot him
Where does the criticism fall? This is defending anyone in this position, not just police. Law and order served.

Tough call on this one. He was a potential physical threat to others, but perhaps not the LEOs themselves. Reading the HuffPost story, apparently the cops say he threatened to throw the knife at them, but the video says otherwise. This also brings into question the LEOs reliability and truthfulness. The story also states that at least during the video sequence neither of the officers told him to drop the weapon. I would have thought that would have been the only command given in that encounter.

This country desperately needs better police officers regardless.

Part of our problem is that we're used to living in a world with lots of guns. We're used to being afraid of them and solving problems with them. If guns just weren't widely circulating I have to imagine we'd see so much less unnecessary violence from cops.

Imagine what the US cops posted by OP have to worry about and see on a regular basis vs what the UK cops you cited deal with on the regular.

• Haha
Reactions: Gimmered
Also, what did the cops need?

il_570xN.1866140787_3dab.jpg

• Love
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Part of our problem is that we're used to living in a world with lots of guns. We're used to being afraid of them and solving problems with them. If guns just weren't widely circulating I have to imagine we'd see so much less unnecessary violence from cops.

Imagine what the US cops posted by OP have to worry about and see on a regular basis vs what the UK cops you cited deal with on the regular.
This is something I always try to keep in mind too. Cops brains/memories don't clear every night. They don't come into work everyday without any memories of things they've witnessed/dealt with before. So clearly prior experiences, can determine how they react to a certain event/situation (like everyone else in the world).

Now we're using stabbings to call for gun control. You can't make this shit up.

Tough call on this one. He was a potential physical threat to others, but perhaps not the LEOs themselves. Reading the HuffPost story, apparently the cops say he threatened to throw the knife at them, but the video says otherwise. This also brings into question the LEOs reliability and truthfulness. The story also states that at least during the video sequence neither of the officers told him to drop the weapon. I would have thought that would have been the only command given in that encounter.

This country desperately needs better police officers regardless.
Cops are screwed if they didn't tell him to drop it. Law says all options must be exhausted before deadly force can be used.

I don’t see where the police should be criticized based on what we know or think we know.
  • Guy stabs someone
  • Guy allegedly threatened to throw knife at others/police
  • Guy didn’t put knife down
  • Cops shoot him
Where does the criticism fall? This is defending anyone in this position, not just police. Law and order served.

Law and order not served there was no trial. There was no court date. Just a couple of cops who acted as judge jury and executioner because the man allegedly stabbed someone. Cops were not there when it happened. That is why we have trials.

I am not suggesting he is really innocent or anything but suggesting that law and order requires a trial. Not frontier justice from cops.

He was running away and posed no threat to them. He should be apprehended with the least amount of violence possible, that wasn't the case here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT