ADVERTISEMENT

California middle schooler wears eyeblack to game. Gets suspended for wearing blackface.

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
Of course he did. Uhhhh...he missed his entire head and mouth region.
NYPICHPDPICT000072269559-1-728x949.webp

GettyImages-159795347.jpg

A Muirlands Middle School student was suspended recently for wearing black face paint on his cheeks, chin and under his eyes at a high school football game in what Muirlands claims was a mimicking of blackface, or painting one’s face in dark, exaggerated makeup to mock or ridicule Black people.

Though the suspension notice cites “offensive comment [or] intent to harm,” the student’s family argues he painted his face after seeing his friends do it when he arrived at the game and that he had no racial motivations.

It isn’t yet known why the other students painted their faces or whether they also were subject to discipline. It’s common for football players to wear dark face paint to fight glare from lights, and for fans to do it in a show of support.

Neither the student nor his family members are being identified because he is a minor.

Muirlands Middle School Principal Jeff Luna said he could not comment about student disciplinary actions.

To try to clear his academic record, the student’s family hired the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression, or FIRE, a Philadelphia-based free-speech advocacy organization, to defend him with the school.

FIRE said in a statement Oct. 13 that the student “attended a local high school football game [and] many game attendees wore face or body paint.”

“One of [the student’s] classmates painted [his] face while at the game” and the student wore the paint without complaints from other people at the game, according to the statement.

“My understanding is a lot of people were wearing face paint and he wanted to join in on the fun,” FIRE’s director of public advocacy, Aaron Terr, told the La Jolla Light.

Terr said the student’s father told him “the friend had an idea based on something he saw online of people wearing something similar.”

The family did not respond to the Light’s request for comment.

About a week after the game, FIRE said, the student and his parents were summoned to a meeting with the principal, where the student was told he would be suspended for two days for wearing blackface at the game and would be prohibited from attending school athletic events.

FIRE told the school in a letter that the student “followed a popular warpaint-inspired trend of athletes applying large amounts of eye black under their eyes, which has no racial connotations whatsoever.”

The family appealed the suspension to the San Diego Unified School District to try to keep it off the student’s academic record as he progresses through high school and college. However, the appeal was denied, according to FIRE.

Terr said this week that the decision to deny the appeal was delivered the same day FIRE sent a letter outlining its legal opinion that the student was exercising free speech protected by the First Amendment and that his face paint had no racial undertones.

“We’re hoping ... the district will reconsider the request for the suspension appeal,” Terr said.

The district’s policy also is not to comment about student disciplinary actions.

If the request is denied or the district doesn’t respond by Wednesday, Nov. 22, the family will consider legal action, Terr said.

“The First Amendment protects public school students’ right to free speech,” Terr said. “Public schools do not have absolute authority over students. They can punish students over free-speech issues if they can show there was a major disruption to the education of the other students, [but] there is no evidence of disruption here. It was a harmless display of school spirit at a football game.” ◆

He should be suspended for doing a ridiculous amount of eye black that looks like complete shit, not for doing blackface.
Now THAT would have been awesome. If Terry Crews Office LB was the principal and put out a statement: "If little nerdy ass white boys are gonna try to nut up, they need to learn how to do it right. Therefore I am left with no choice other than to toss this little bitch ass cracker for two days." I think we could all get behind something lie that.

Of course he did. Uhhhh...he missed his entire head and mouth region.
NYPICHPDPICT000072269559-1-728x949.webp

GettyImages-159795347.jpg

A Muirlands Middle School student was suspended recently for wearing black face paint on his cheeks, chin and under his eyes at a high school football game in what Muirlands claims was a mimicking of blackface, or painting one’s face in dark, exaggerated makeup to mock or ridicule Black people.

Though the suspension notice cites “offensive comment [or] intent to harm,” the student’s family argues he painted his face after seeing his friends do it when he arrived at the game and that he had no racial motivations.

It isn’t yet known why the other students painted their faces or whether they also were subject to discipline. It’s common for football players to wear dark face paint to fight glare from lights, and for fans to do it in a show of support.

Neither the student nor his family members are being identified because he is a minor.

Muirlands Middle School Principal Jeff Luna said he could not comment about student disciplinary actions.

To try to clear his academic record, the student’s family hired the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression, or FIRE, a Philadelphia-based free-speech advocacy organization, to defend him with the school.

FIRE said in a statement Oct. 13 that the student “attended a local high school football game [and] many game attendees wore face or body paint.”

“One of [the student’s] classmates painted [his] face while at the game” and the student wore the paint without complaints from other people at the game, according to the statement.

“My understanding is a lot of people were wearing face paint and he wanted to join in on the fun,” FIRE’s director of public advocacy, Aaron Terr, told the La Jolla Light.

Terr said the student’s father told him “the friend had an idea based on something he saw online of people wearing something similar.”

The family did not respond to the Light’s request for comment.

About a week after the game, FIRE said, the student and his parents were summoned to a meeting with the principal, where the student was told he would be suspended for two days for wearing blackface at the game and would be prohibited from attending school athletic events.

FIRE told the school in a letter that the student “followed a popular warpaint-inspired trend of athletes applying large amounts of eye black under their eyes, which has no racial connotations whatsoever.”

The family appealed the suspension to the San Diego Unified School District to try to keep it off the student’s academic record as he progresses through high school and college. However, the appeal was denied, according to FIRE.

Terr said this week that the decision to deny the appeal was delivered the same day FIRE sent a letter outlining its legal opinion that the student was exercising free speech protected by the First Amendment and that his face paint had no racial undertones.

“We’re hoping ... the district will reconsider the request for the suspension appeal,” Terr said.

The district’s policy also is not to comment about student disciplinary actions.

If the request is denied or the district doesn’t respond by Wednesday, Nov. 22, the family will consider legal action, Terr said.

“The First Amendment protects public school students’ right to free speech,” Terr said. “Public schools do not have absolute authority over students. They can punish students over free-speech issues if they can show there was a major disruption to the education of the other students, [but] there is no evidence of disruption here. It was a harmless display of school spirit at a football game.” ◆
I would hope the kid was not copying the face paint of a murdering thug.

Another principal that should resign. Same for the people that upheld the suspension. Sue them personally as well as the school district. Challenge their immunity in being sued personally and force them to defend themselves.

It is interesting to see people slam Iowas decision for vouchers. This story is a wonderful example of why they are needed.

But why is it on his chin?! That's not how eyeblack works!!
Because he's a kid and likely has no clue what the heck he's doing. Kids are silly that way. My son put his underwear on his head. That's not how underwear works either.

Now, if it turns out this kid's parents are racist twats (and it's provable), then I'll retract my opinion. Until then, look like a kid being a kid.

Because he's a kid and likely has no clue what the heck he's doing. Kids are silly that way. My son put his underwear on his head. That's not how underwear works either.

Now, if it turns out this kid's parents are racist twats (and it's provable), then I'll retract my opinion. Until then, look like a kid being a kid.
So your son is mimicking wearing a hood? Racist.

• Haha
Reactions: DFSNOLE
Unless there is in fact more to the story, the principal and the district are waaaaay too far out over their skis on this one.

It’s a typical example of being offended and taking action before all the facts are sorted out. Remember the border agents that were “whipping” migrants? And the uproar it caused? The smug, racist kid “mocking” the Native American? Etc, etc, etc.

Why would that change your mind? He would still be a kid wearing an excessive amount of eyeblack during a football game who happens to have racist parents.

This is what happens when we let people who see everything thru the lens of race/gender/sexual preference be in charge of anything... Eventually ridiculous things like this become the norm bc they're looking for every possible reason to be offended and assert their power.
Quit letting these types of people be in charge of anything, and quit giving them power and this crap will quit happening.

This is what happens when we let people who see everything thru the lens of race/gender/sexual preference be in charge of anything... Eventually ridiculous things like this become the norm bc they're looking for every possible reason to be offended and assert their power.
Quit letting these types of people be in charge of anything, and quit giving them power and this crap will quit happening.
Honestly, it's a problem that's not limited to the race/gender/sexual preference lens. As a general proposition, you never want an expert, with interests and capabilities an inch wide and a mile deep, making decisions on multifaceted problems that a liberal arts graduate, with interests and capabilities a mile wide and an inch deep, making.

This is what happens when you put liberals in charge!! I hope you Biden voters are happy!!!

OMG LOL. Mine was parody.

LMFAO

LMFAO
FIRE isn't anything to shake a stick at. While not a law firm, they have plenty of overlapping contacts into the 'modern' first amendment bar. As to the academic record thing, i'm fairly confident that many "admissions professionals" at higher education institutions would view a vague 8th grade disciplinary black mark as to 'hurtful speech' to be a flat-out disqualifier.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
FIRE isn't anything to shake a stick at. While not a law firm, they have plenty of overlapping contacts into the 'modern' first amendment bar. As to the academic record thing, i'm fairly confident that many "admissions professionals" at higher education institutions would view a vague 8th grade disciplinary black mark as to 'hurtful speech' to be a flat-out disqualifier.
Joke or stupid?

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT