ADVERTISEMENT

California middle schooler wears eyeblack to game. Gets suspended for wearing blackface.

Because he's a kid and likely has no clue what the heck he's doing. Kids are silly that way. My son put his underwear on his head. That's not how underwear works either.

Now, if it turns out this kid's parents are racist twats (and it's provable), then I'll retract my opinion. Until then, look like a kid being a kid.
I'm in the camp that doesn't think the kid was being racist - I just wish the parents would've been there to help the kid understand that he looks like a goofball. Just like I'd hope you didn't let your kid wear underwear on his head to play in a football game. :)

Reactions: goldmom
20071105__071105randle.jpg
As a Vikings fan…

Would he be ok today?

I'm in the camp that doesn't think the kid was being racist.
same
I just wish the parents would've been there to help the kid understand that he looks like a goofball. Just like I'd hope you didn't let your kid wear underwear on his head to play in a football game. :)
meh

He's a kid. I'm curious what the other kids looked like. If, I'm a coach, I'm going, "JOHNNY! come here, pal. You look ridiculous. Lemme get some of that off [while I try to contain as much laughter as possible]

I really feel badly for the parents. We can't expect kids to have the same level of understanding as adults. My son told me this over the weekend [paraphrased], "Dad, kids at Cole say all kinds of weird stuff. Words I think they're just making up half the time. Either I'm the only normal person or I'm really naive [can't remember the exact word he used]."

same

meh

He's a kid. I'm curious what the other kids looked like. If, I'm a coach, I'm going, "JOHNNY! come here, pal. You look ridiculous. Lemme get some of that off [while I try to contain as much laughter as possible]

I really feel badly for the parents. We can't expect kids to have the same level of understanding as adults. My son told me this over the weekend [paraphrased], "Dad, kids at Cole say all kinds of weird stuff. Words I think they're just making up half the time. Either I'm the only normal person or I'm really naive [can't remember the exact word he used]."
Here's the thing, we have no idea what happened other than what his parents and the group representing him (Koch backed). They know the school won't discuss the incident as that would violate policy so they can say anything they want to the press without pushback.

Here's the thing, we have no idea what happened other than what his parents and the group representing him (Koch backed). They know the school won't discuss the incident as that would violate policy so they can say anything they want to the press without pushback.
and that is really the bottom line. All we're doing is speculating. There are three camps:

Camp 1: Must have racist parents
Camp 2: Most likely innocent, kids being kids (my camp)
Camp 3: No comment w/o more info.

I should be in Camp 3, BUT I really want to give humanity the benefit of the doubt despite getting proven wrong time and time again.

Im pretty far left and i think this is ridiculous.

1) the parents should have told the kid he looks ridiculous before he went out in public looking like that.

2) as ridiculous as the kids face looks, calling it “blackface” and suspending the kid is more ridiculous

J.A.-eye-black.jpg

IMO, that's a pretty hefty claim against a kid who's between 11-13.

A week later, Muirland Principal Jeff Luna called J.A. into the office and suspended him for two days. The offense was “painted his face black at a football game.” The principal said the incident was “offensive comment, intent to harm.” The principal believed it was a case of “blackface,” or mimicking the skin color of black people.

Reactions: Uniformed_ReRe
J.A.-eye-black.jpg

A week later, Muirland Principal Jeff Luna called J.A. into the office and suspended him for two days. The offense was “painted his face black at a football game.” The principal said the incident was “offensive comment, intent to harm.” The principal believed it was a case of “blackface,” or mimicking the skin color of black people.
What was the comment? Seems like that part has been left out. But lots of cool photoshopping, so that's something.

Put me in the bucket of DGAF about black face. Whether he was trying to or not doesn’t matter. If he went as Lebron James for Halloween and didn’t paint his face and body black then I’d call him a slacker.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
FIRE isn't anything to shake a stick at. While not a law firm, they have plenty of overlapping contacts into the 'modern' first amendment bar. As to the academic record thing, i'm fairly confident that many "admissions professionals" at higher education institutions would view a vague 8th grade disciplinary black mark as to 'hurtful speech' to be a flat-out disqualifier.
Why would an 8th grade suspension get in way of college admissions?

If he wanted to remain anonymous and let it blow over, he (I mean his parents) sure f’d that up.

What was the comment? Seems like that part has been left out. But lots of cool photoshopping, so that's something.
The black face itself was the comment. Apparently that is the district policy the infraction fell under, “offensive comment, intent to harm.” At least that's how I'm understanding it from the articles I've read.

The photoshopping was from one of the articles. I think it's fair to establish precedence and this shows athletic face paint isn't always just the single lines under the eyes.

Lattimer went all out with his. ;)

theprogram.jpg

Why would an 8th grade suspension get in way of college admissions?

If he wanted to remain anonymous and let it blow over, he (I mean his parents) sure f’d that up.
interestingly, significant disciplinary incidents do indeed remain on hs transcripts in many jurisdictions. the CA does ask about them, and if you're a reviewer at, say, UC-SD who has to help work through 130,000+ (!) first year applications, the process of elimination can be a cruel mistress

I'm really glad I grew up before social media and cell phones and everyone being all uptight over everything. I wonder how much of the anxiety and kids on meds could have been avoided if we kept things simpler. In my day, you acted up in school or at a school activity you were likely to get your ear twisted so hard it would stand you up or hit with a wooden paddle in the head, back, arm, or backside depending on where you were, or pushed up against the wall and you found out quick how it was going to be. Might get hit in the head with an eraser or a piece of chalk if not paying attention. And if you made the mistake of doing something that resulted in a call home, it was far worse at home no questions asked. No need for lawsuits. No computer records of discipline in middle school to thwart your college dreams.

The black face itself was the comment. Apparently that is the district policy the infraction fell under, “offensive comment, intent to harm.” At least that's how I'm understanding it from the articles I've read.

The photoshopping was from one of the articles. I think it's fair to establish precedence and this shows athletic face paint isn't always just the single lines under the eyes.

Lattimer went all out with his. ;)

theprogram.jpg
That's based on the parents and the advocacy groups comments. We have no idea if that is true.
I know you want to side with the kid but there are lots of unanswered questions. Why only him?

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
I think the suspension was dumb, but also think the overreaction here is pretty silly. People saying they should sue everyone, this is why we need private schools, etc etc.
Wrong again, don't you ever get tired of that? This principal should be fired, and the kid's parents need to sue the school for hundreds of millions of dollars to make sure the school board gets the point, be careful what kind idiots you hire. And that is why we need a lot of publicly funded PRIVATE schools.

I think the suspension was dumb, but also think the overreaction here is pretty silly. People saying they should sue everyone, this is why we need private schools, etc etc.
Wouldn’t need any over reaction if the ultra sensitive school would have let a kid wear fuking eye paint.

Wrong again, don't you ever get tired of that? This principal should be fired, and the kid's parents need to sue the school for hundreds of millions of dollars to make sure the school board gets the point, be careful what kind idiots you hire. And that is why we need a lot of publicly funded PRIVATE schools.
It’s funny how much of a hack you are on every single subject. You’re a bigger tool than the principal, and that’s saying something.

We do know what happened. He got suspended as an over reaction

Lots of people get suspended. Most of those people don't think they deserved it. Most of them did.
Do you have any inside information about what actually happened in order to determine if this kid deserved it? Other than his parents saying that he didn't?

My son did that for baseball last summer. I didn’t like it because he catches and I thought it would smear all over his face mask, and also because it was in the 90s and he was sweating so much that I was afraid he’d wipe it into his l eyes. Not once did I think about black face and whether someone might be offended.

Grow a pair, people!

Reactions: hawkeye54545
OMG LOL. Mine was parody.
Parody away... the fact is a race obsessed principal, led by a likely race obsessed school board, suspended a 12 year old for smearing eye black on his face at a football game. Would this have happened if the principal wasn't a race obsessed idiot? Of course not. The country is soooo tired of this shit and hopefully more are waking up to how ridiculous its become.

J.A.-eye-black.jpg

Not sure what you take exception to.

If its my first point, would it help if i said that i think everybody in your collage looks ridiculous as well?

If its the second point, i said it was ridiculous to call it blackface.

Parody away... the fact is a race obsessed principal, led by a likely race obsessed school board, suspended a 12 year old for smearing eye black on his face at a football game. Would this have happened if the principal wasn't a race obsessed idiot? Of course not. The country is soooo tired of this shit and hopefully more are waking up to how ridiculous its become.
link?

Abby, I am perfectly happy being on the opposite side as you on any issue.

Hundreds of millions of dollars? Lol.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
Wouldn’t need any over reaction if the ultra sensitive school would have let a kid wear fuking eye paint.
Sure. Is that why we should do away with public education? Should the school and principal be sued for “hundreds of millions” of dollars?

Lots of people get suspended. Most of those people don't think they deserved it. Most of them did.
Do you have any inside information about what actually happened in order to determine if this kid deserved it? Other than his parents saying that he didn't?

“Most of them did” so already blaming the kid here I see without the evidence you’re looking for. Makes sense

If Fetterman puts on a suit, the senate will be fixed. If we say the right words to the right deities at the beginning of the school day, education will be fixed. Nancy Pelosi ushered his budget through congress, but thank god she had the courage to tear up his SOTU speech the same week. Give this little klansman a couple days to wash his face and think about what he did and we are finally able to live in a post-racist America.

We are obsessed with empty window dressing.

• Love
Reactions: seminoleed
Not sure what you take exception to.

If its my first point, would it help if i said that i think everybody in your collage looks ridiculous as well?

If its the second point, i said it was ridiculous to call it blackface.
No exception at all. I should have worded it, "I agree it's ridiculous to call it black face, it's a pretty hefty claim against a kid who's between 11-13."

Reactions: auntie_fah
Idiotic, for sure. It's obviously not blackface.

That said, I wonder if someone in school bitched about it -- because they, can basically -- and that forced the admin to take drastic action because the last thing they'd want to be viewed as is insensitive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT