ADVERTISEMENT

California middle schooler wears eyeblack to game. Gets suspended for wearing blackface.

I'd say it's exactly how kids who don't have jerseys attend games to feel part of it. I see kids in student section wearing, eye black, body paint, face paint etc. at just about every one of the hundreds of games I've coached in and attended. I guarantee you that the 10 or 11 you attended this year there were kids there wearing it. You just weren't looking for it.

Like the picture below. There's a bunch of kids wearing it but unl;ess you were looking for it, you would have never noticed.

The use of paint, eyeblack, or glitter was not what caused you to quote my post, it seemingly was that I said the kid was a follower for getting to the game and then applying eyeblack. Now that you have displayed your vast knowledge of the eyeblack situation, I can see this kid is likely a leader of his group and guides the group and probably ran out of his eyeblack and borrowed some upon arrival.

In your opinion.

Some would say these people are also stupid:

424fd7ce-35a3-4d9d-89c5-22daba8c2ceb.jpg

c79c38cfc2e59bda476a4aa74f1bf99d.jpg

ap932446101009jpg.jpg

8e3b02cdf82a53a104a6a74d923db6c5.jpg
That is stupid

In your opinion.

Some would say these people are also stupid:
Per the parents, the kid (aka: child) wanted to be like his friends and put a bunch of paint on his face. A kid trying to fit in. Weird.

Thanks, Capt Obvious, never proclaimed an opinion about slathering one's face with eyeblack was fact-based, JFC.

I would agree with the people who call those people stupid, the decision by an adult to dress up in that fashion is cringe-worthy , in my opinion, but whatever floats their boat

What “inside information” is necessary when the photo clearly shows that this is not blackface?
Well, he seems to know about the racial feelings of every administrator. I didn't see that in the story.
Aside from that we don't know what the kid was suspended for, only what his parents said.
It's funny how the 'wait and see' crowd suddenly can't wait and see.

Well, he seems to know about the racial feelings of every administrator. I didn't see that in the story.
Aside from that we don't know what the kid was suspended for, only what his parents said.
It's funny how the 'wait and see' crowd suddenly can't wait and see.
the suspension notice cites “offensive comment [or] intent to harm,

Thanks, Capt Obvious, never proclaimed an opinion about slathering one's face with eyeblack was fact-based, JFC.

I would agree with the people who call those people stupid, the decision by an adult to dress up in that fashion is cringe-worthy , in my opinion, but whatever floats their boat
439e106e9d653bb3fd0a664fa9044581.gif

• Haha
Reactions: NoleinATL
Of course he did. Uhhhh...he missed his entire head and mouth region.
NYPICHPDPICT000072269559-1-728x949.webp

GettyImages-159795347.jpg

A Muirlands Middle School student was suspended recently for wearing black face paint on his cheeks, chin and under his eyes at a high school football game in what Muirlands claims was a mimicking of blackface, or painting one’s face in dark, exaggerated makeup to mock or ridicule Black people.

Though the suspension notice cites “offensive comment [or] intent to harm,” the student’s family argues he painted his face after seeing his friends do it when he arrived at the game and that he had no racial motivations.

It isn’t yet known why the other students painted their faces or whether they also were subject to discipline. It’s common for football players to wear dark face paint to fight glare from lights, and for fans to do it in a show of support.

Neither the student nor his family members are being identified because he is a minor.

Muirlands Middle School Principal Jeff Luna said he could not comment about student disciplinary actions.

To try to clear his academic record, the student’s family hired the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression, or FIRE, a Philadelphia-based free-speech advocacy organization, to defend him with the school.

FIRE said in a statement Oct. 13 that the student “attended a local high school football game [and] many game attendees wore face or body paint.”

“One of [the student’s] classmates painted [his] face while at the game” and the student wore the paint without complaints from other people at the game, according to the statement.

“My understanding is a lot of people were wearing face paint and he wanted to join in on the fun,” FIRE’s director of public advocacy, Aaron Terr, told the La Jolla Light.

Terr said the student’s father told him “the friend had an idea based on something he saw online of people wearing something similar.”

The family did not respond to the Light’s request for comment.

About a week after the game, FIRE said, the student and his parents were summoned to a meeting with the principal, where the student was told he would be suspended for two days for wearing blackface at the game and would be prohibited from attending school athletic events.

FIRE told the school in a letter that the student “followed a popular warpaint-inspired trend of athletes applying large amounts of eye black under their eyes, which has no racial connotations whatsoever.”

The family appealed the suspension to the San Diego Unified School District to try to keep it off the student’s academic record as he progresses through high school and college. However, the appeal was denied, according to FIRE.

Terr said this week that the decision to deny the appeal was delivered the same day FIRE sent a letter outlining its legal opinion that the student was exercising free speech protected by the First Amendment and that his face paint had no racial undertones.

“We’re hoping ... the district will reconsider the request for the suspension appeal,” Terr said.

The district’s policy also is not to comment about student disciplinary actions.

If the request is denied or the district doesn’t respond by Wednesday, Nov. 22, the family will consider legal action, Terr said.

“The First Amendment protects public school students’ right to free speech,” Terr said. “Public schools do not have absolute authority over students. They can punish students over free-speech issues if they can show there was a major disruption to the education of the other students, [but] there is no evidence of disruption here. It was a harmless display of school spirit at a football game.” ◆
This is ridiculous.

A) Clearly not going for blackface.
B) I’ve coached enough 8-14 yo baseball to see what these kids do with eye black. There are no limits, but there is certainly no blackface intent.

Ok, so you know what that means in this instance? Do you teach dodgeball at this school?
No. But I can read and research further where other articles include…”A disciplinary notice said J.A. “painted his face black at a football game” and characterized the incident as an “offensive comment, intent to harm.”

What is it you think else there is to know here? You think it’s possible the kid ran out of paint and was really hoping to finish the rest of his face so he could do his Amos and Andy routine for the crowd?

Reactions: HawksR1
No. But I can read and research further where other articles include…”A disciplinary notice said J.A. “painted his face black at a football game” and characterized the incident as an “offensive comment, intent to harm.”

What is it you think else there is to know here? You think it’s possible the kid ran out of paint and was really hoping to finish the rest of his face so he could do his Amos and Andy routine for the crowd?
Ah, so zero inside info just like everyone else. Just repeating the parents claims. Thanks for nothing, as usual.

Ah, so zero inside info just like everyone else. Just repeating the parents claims. Thanks for nothing, as usual.
Yeah. You’re lost. We get it. You have evidence of the kid’s face. You know what the form said he was suspended for. And you choose to walk around blindfolded because seeing the truth right in front of you hurts you…for some reason. Well we know the reason, but still.

Yeah. You’re lost. We get it. You have evidence of the kid’s face. You know what the form said he was suspended for. And you choose to walk around blindfolded because seeing the truth right in front of you hurts you…for some reason. Well we know the reason, but still.
You repeat the parents claims like that’s some sort of proof. Go coach more dodgeball.

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
How much more stupid do you plan on looking here? Also have no idea what dodgeball has to do with anything.

But here you go dummy. Now go ahead an pretend the parents fabricated their own discipline slip. You’ve gone this far. Why not!?
Muirlands%20Middle%20School%20suspension%20notice%20to%20student%20JA%2C%20October%2020%2C%202023.jpg

Right, that information has been available for days. It doesn’t tell us what happened at the game or why they decided suspension was appropriate. No one here was at the game or at the meeting with the parents. The school can’t comment. But feel free to be outraged, it’s what you live for.

Right, that information has been available for days. It doesn’t tell us what happened at the game or why they decided suspension was appropriate. No one here was at the game or at the meeting with the parents. The school can’t comment. But feel free to be outraged, it’s what you live for.
So where it says DESCRIPTION OF INCIDENT: Painted face black at football game. And “Offensive comment/ intent to harm” are checked under “Hate incident”, you’re unable to gather what he got suspended for? Way to go Columbo!

You’re saying they wrote down the wrong thing that he is suspended for? Brilliant! Choosing ignorance is a gutsy play, but it fits you so well.

You repeat the parents claims like that’s some sort of proof. Go coach more dodgeball.
I don’t care about the parents claims. I’ve coached hundreds of kids in baseball where eyeblack is really common. Kids do all kinds of stuff on their face - covering cheeks, adding a beard, stripes, drawing a picture, etc. The pic I saw was basically the covering his cheeks variety (nothing on forehead, nose, around mouth. I know nothing about that kid, so maybe he’s a seething racist, but I’ve seen plenty of kids do really similar things because they’re 8-14 and have an eyeblack stick. They’re not thinking about mocking black kids.

Some of you people are just idiots.

Blackface is a problem when people do it purposely to make fun of black people.

Having a certain amount of black face paint on your face as a fan or for whatever mode of costume means nothing. Nobody is actually offended by that. Including black people. Black people aren't stupid.

This is a paranoid over reaction and too many of you idiots get taken by it.

What the kid did offends noone in a natural sense - any sort of offense claimed is manufactured and owed to the paranoia described above.

And the natural response to having a face painted black isn't offense - most people, including black people - are smart enough to understand intent. That's the natural reaction - a measured response. An if clause...

The outcry we see over anything halfway resembling blackface isn't actual offense by anyone - it's chirping over rule violation.

And way too many are too dull to understand this. You're non thinking

I'm looking at you, balem.

I don’t care about the parents claims. I’ve coached hundreds of kids in baseball where eyeblack is really common. Kids do all kinds of stuff on their face - covering cheeks, adding a beard, stripes, drawing a picture, etc. The pic I saw was basically the covering his cheeks variety (nothing on forehead, nose, around mouth. I know nothing about that kid, so maybe he’s a seething racist, but I’ve seen plenty of kids do really similar things because they’re 8-14 and have an eyeblack stick. They’re not thinking about mocking black kids.
Right, and none of those kids youve seen or any of his friends doing the same thing got suspended.
So, why him? Just picked him out of the group by luck of the draw?
Or was there something else?

Right, and none of those kids youve seen or any of his friends doing the same thing got suspended.
So, why him? Just picked him out of the group by luck of the draw?
Or was there something else?
I need to see more, but given the way kids this age act and given the fact that the kid is in California (home of the libs) and given the fact that there was zero attempt to put anything approaching an even coat of realistic darkness across his face and given the fact that there was clearly no attempt to cover his entire face……the bar to show that this is racist/mockingly racist in intent would be pretty high for me.

What is he hurting? Let the kids live their lives, if he wants to be called Sally and show up for games in a sundress and high heels and lipstick, let him live his best life. Why are you in favor of inhibiting his personal expression when it isn't hurting anybody? Live and let live, I say.

I didnt put anything on the kid other than I think it is stupid to slather eyeblack on his face after showing up to ta game.
You would have to be an idiot to think that in some way defends the principal decision to suspend the kid.
Great, you think it's stupid. I think it's stupid my 16 year old dressed like a hick for one of their themed student section games. Neither has anything to do with a principal trying to create a racial issue where one doesn't exist. I'll say it again, people like this principal need to be vilified and removed from leadership positions in this country en mass.

• Haha
Reactions: SocraticIshmael
I need to see more, but given the way kids this age act and given the fact that the kid is in California (home of the libs) and given the fact that there was zero attempt to put anything approaching an even coat of realistic darkness across his face and given the fact that there was clearly no attempt to cover his entire face……the bar to show that this is racist/mockingly racist in intent would be pretty high for me.
”home of the libs”
This is exactly why so many of you accept what the parents are saying on its face. Everyone in CA is a nutty lib. Sure, we had more votes for Trump than FL, but everyone is a crazy lib!!!!

This is ridiculous.

A) Clearly not going for blackface.
B) I’ve coached enough 8-14 yo baseball to see what these kids do with eye black. There are no limits, but there is certainly no blackface intent.

Yep. Pretty damn simple. Yet, here we are, still arguing about it.

”home of the libs”
This is exactly why so many of you accept what the parents are saying on its face. Everyone in CA is a nutty lib. Sure, we had more votes for Trump than FL, but everyone is a crazy lib!!!!
So you think the kid was going for blackface?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT