ADVERTISEMENT

Campbell to Nebraska?

I hate the Huskers but that's a good job. They have history, support, money, facilities, and a huge fan base. Yeah, pressure cooker, but if a coach is afraid of that I wouldn't want him anyway.
With all due respect, I don't think you fully understand how demented & twisted that fan base really is. Pelini nailed it when he left those losers, he was spot on when he got into it with their media & fans.

Because what if Frost beats Oklahoma? It was possible. Lot of changes at OU in the past year and the Huskers played them tough last year. Harder to fire a coach after a big win over a rival, though Nebraska did do that to Bo, so who knows?
Possible, but not probable. Their defense looks worse this year. I think I’d roll the dice on Frost maybe beating Oklahoma and saving $7.5 mil. At best it would have maybe bought him more time, but I think as a whole his body of work wouldn’t have been enough to warrant keeping his job and their rabid fan base seems to agree.

Why not?

Higher ceiling.
More resources.
Better tradition.
Already peaked at ISU.
Bleak future for the Big 12.
Coach in a true power conference.
Chance to be the one who brings Nebraska back to relevance.

Other than loyalty, why would you stay at Iowa State over Nebraska, if offered?
A once or twice a decade AQ bid to the playoff would be one reason to stay

Why leave ISU?

In a few years they have an easier path to playoff than Iowa will.

No they won’t, cause any team from any shit conference is basically going to have to go 12-0 to get in while having played a decent OOC schedule - which they won’t have. Good luck for a school that’s never even won ten games in school history.

No they won’t, cause any team from any shit conference is basically going to have to go 12-0 to get in while having played a decent OOC schedule - which they won’t have. Good luck for a school that’s never even won ten games in school history.
The Big 12 will have an automatic bid into the playoffs, the recent updates on playoff expansion pretty much guaranteed that.

In what was described as "an historic day for college football," the board's 11 presidents and chancellors approved the original 12-team model, which was first made public last summer and includes the six highest-ranked conference champions and six at-large teams, the board announced.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClarindaA's
What I see here is lil Matty letting his name get floated for the HC at Nebby... followed by a contract revision/extension with a bump in $$$.

He's got a dream job at ISU where the fans are thrilled with 7/8 win seasons.

But the meltdown in Clonesville would be funny.

And if he was, indeed, interested ...it would only give credence to the idea that Big12 HCs are looking to leave after the Big2 dominate with the expansion.

Last edited:
He has shown that he can beat Iowa with less regarded recruits. That ought to count for something.
Once...in a very tight game that could have gone either way...vs a banged up Iowa team with likely the worst starting QB in their program’s history. Those stars prolly won’t re-align for little Matty.

Stoops has a great thing going at Kentucky, there is zero reason for him to go to the dumpster fire at Nebraska.

Any coach would be wise to move up to the Power-2. Campbell will strongly consider the Nebraska job and would likely take it. He is probably the best coach Nebraska could land.

Firing Frost this weekend was dumb. Even if a miracle occurs and they beat Oklahoma, they still have a million reasons to fire him on October 2nd. Their fanbase isn't going to forget losses to GA Southern, Troy, and a host of others.

I guess Trev wanted to get his name in the headlines today, he couldn't wait any longer to get the spotlight on himself.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
What I see here is lil Matty letting his name get floated for the HC at Nebby... followed by a contract revision/extension with a bump in $$$.

He's got a dream job at ISU where the fans are thrilled with 7/8 win seasons.

But the meltdown in Clonesville would be funny.

And if he was, indeed, interested ...it would only give credence to the idea that Big12 HCs are looking to leave after the Big2 dominate with the expansion.
The Kirk Ferentz model.

And that’s not piling on Kirk after a loss. These Athletic Departments make bank, get yours.

Reactions: MitchLL
Because if you don’t produce within two years, everyone is calling for your head. Depends on ambition though. Nebraska has still been getting enough talent to make a good team. I don’t think Matt Campbell is the one to take them back to national title relevancy though.

I don't think anybody takes them back to national title relevancy, which is why it's not a great job.

I wouldn't be shocked by anything. He's been at ISU for 7 years, which is honestly a pretty long time in this coaching era. I'll have to see it to believe it though.

I don't care how much money you have, $7.5 million is a lot to pay to accomplish nothing. The team isn't going to suddenly improve now that he's gone.

They probably said, "You're done on October 1st. You can hang around and be a punching bag for 3 weeks, or you can take this extra $2 million and go now".

Or at least, that's what i would have done.

As far as Matt Campbell goes, I can see a lot of reasons why that would make sense for both of them, I mean at least compared to a lot of names being thrown around.

Stoops has a great thing going at Kentucky, there is zero reason for him to go to the dumpster fire at Nebraska.

Any coach would be wise to move up to the Power-2. Campbell will strongly consider the Nebraska job and would likely take it. He is probably the best coach Nebraska could land.

Firing Frost this weekend was dumb. Even if a miracle occurs and they beat Oklahoma, they still have a million reasons to fire him on October 2nd. Their fanbase isn't going to forget losses to GA Southern, Troy, and a host of others.

I guess Trev wanted to get his name in the headlines today, he couldn't wait any longer to get the spotlight on himself.
I feel Trev had a pickle situation. He's good friends with Frost. He had to fire Frost for poor performance so giving Frost a 7 million bonus is his way of staying friends while satisfying the fans/standards of the university.

I feel Trev had a pickle situation. He's good friends with Frost. He had to fire Frost for poor performance so giving Frost a 7 million bonus is his way of staying friends while satisfying the fans/standards of the university.

They're not friends. Trev cannot stand Frost and would have fired him last year if he had permission to do so but there were boosters that wanted him to stay another year. That completely flipped after Saturday and a group of boosters kicked in for the extra buyout money. He really didn't have a choice. By keeping him around just to save money you make a clear point to everyone that the money is more important to you than trying to salvage a year and get momentum turned going into next year. They would have lost more money than the extra buyout money in the long run by keeping him around when fans stop showing up.

I think Matt would be dumb if he didn't strongly consider an offer from either an SEC or B1G team with good facilities and fan support. Having said that, he still hasn't won 10 games in a season in either of his coaching stops. He shows potential but there are likely better coaches that I would be talking to first and he'd be a secondary option to me if I was in charge.

As for Frost, he was fired 20 days before October 1st. Must be nice to be given a $7,500,000 buyout, plus an additional $375,000 for each day not worked before October 1st. His tax accountant must be loving this.

I hate the Huskers but that's a good job. They have history, support, money, facilities, and a huge fan base. Yeah, pressure cooker, but if a coach is afraid of that I wouldn't want him anyway.
It is an overrated job. They expect national championships that aren't going to happen anymore. They have the same ceiling as a program now as Iowa, Wisconsin etc but they think they are like OSU or Bama.

They're not friends. Trev cannot stand Frost and would have fired him last year if he had permission to do so but there were boosters that wanted him to stay another year. That completely flipped after Saturday and a group of boosters kicked in for the extra buyout money. He really didn't have a choice. By keeping him around just to save money you make a clear point to everyone that the money is more important to you than trying to salvage a year and get momentum turned going into next year. They would have lost more money than the extra buyout money in the long run by keeping him around when fans stop showing up.
I must have misread it somewhere then when Trev took over as AD.
I don't see them getting any better with the interim coach either.

Last edited:
Oh, how I would love it if Campbell left ISU for Nebraska. The insult to the clown base would be epic.

I know that many see Nebraska as a mess, but they have the money, boosters, fan loyalty and conference $ to support a winner. Now that they've been taken down a few pegs and had their egos crushed... I think a new coach can expect a bit more realistic expectations. A guy could go 8-4 there in 2-3 years (basically .500 in the B1G) and be a savior now.

The uncertainty of the "big" 12 may be just enough to entice donkey teeth to Lincoln. Let's be honest...Lincoln and Ames are equally bland college towns...he wouldn't even know he moved.
Not everywhere is Iowa City, but there’s no need for hyperbole. Talk to anyone without a Hawkeye bias, and they’ll say both are great, if different, college towns.

Why not?

Higher ceiling.
More resources.
Better tradition.
Already peaked at ISU.
Bleak future for the Big 12.
Coach in a true power conference.
Chance to be the one who brings Nebraska back to relevance.

Other than loyalty, why would you stay at Iowa State over Nebraska, if offered?
No chance. It's a lateral move into a much, much tougher conference. And they fire you if you are not winning quickly.

He has a life time guarantee at Iowa State, and guaranteed raises. He told Pollard he would only leave for the Notre Dame job (which could happen in a few years). I believe Campbell.

He also just checked another box with the big win at Kinnick.

Reactions: doughuddl2
Because if you don’t produce within two years, everyone is calling for your head. Depends on ambition though. Nebraska has still been getting enough talent to make a good team. I don’t think Matt Campbell is the one to take them back to national title relevancy though.
I don't think that coach exists.

Reactions: MilleGinja
I have just never been that impressed with Campbell. He is 1-5 against Iowa nd the 1 was not impressive at all. Not sure why he gets so much hype.
In the last 26 years, ISU has 10 winning seasons. Matt Campbell has 5 of them. They have won 5 bowl games in their history, 2 with Campbell. He’s second all time in wins in ISU, behind McCarney who coached 12 seasons.

ISU football history is BAD. They were real bad when he took over, and they are a decent team now. Winning rivalry games is absolutely an important measuring stick. Those games mean a lot to fans, but it’s not the only way to measure success.

I like to talk s*** about ISU as much as the next guy, but to ignore what Campbell has been able to do is disingenuous.

Reactions: ClarindaA's

If he did that, he is the worst AD in the history of ADs. You don't give your "friend" $7.5M because you feel bad for firing them. You do what is best for the athletic department and the university.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT