ADVERTISEMENT

Campbell to Nebraska?

In the last 26 years, ISU has 10 winning seasons. Matt Campbell has 5 of them. They have won 5 bowl games in their history, 2 with Campbell. He’s second all time in wins in ISU, behind McCarney who coached 12 seasons.

ISU football history is BAD. They were real bad when he took over, and they are a decent team now. Winning rivalry games is absolutely an important measuring stick. Those games mean a lot to fans, but it’s not the only way to measure success.

I like to talk s*** about ISU as much as the next guy, but to ignore what Campbell has been able to do is disingenuous.
What's really crazy is that if ISU does beat Iowa, they tend to blow their wad and do next to nothing for the rest of the season. KF has been known to lose to clearly inferior ISU teams (I know the Hawks have had a couple 7-8 win seasons in the past but failed to beat 2-3 win ISU teams, which is ridiculous).

I wouldn't put it past ISU to rest on their laurels and finish 4-8, but MC is the best coach they've had since the Johnny Majors/Earle Bruce days. They won't be anything special, but probably good enough to finish middle of the pack in the B12.

Meanwhile, Iowa's offense will continue to ride on the short bus until further notice. It's frustrating that Kirk and Brian acknowledge that we have quite a situation on our hands, but continue to fail to make any meaningful changes. If Iowa's going to crash and burn, so be it, but I'd rather Iowa go 4-8 with some new faces on offense than go 4-8 with the exact same personnel game-in, game-out. This has got to be taking its toll on the rest of the team.

If he did that, he is the worst AD in the history of ADs. You don't give your "friend" $7.5M because you feel bad for firing them. You do what is best for the athletic department and the university.
I think they did it because they were going to anyway and Frost was always a Nebraska guy.

Reactions: Hammer93
No chance. It's a lateral move into a much, much tougher conference. And they fire you if you are not winning quickly.

He has a life time guarantee at Iowa State, and guaranteed raises. He told Pollard he would only leave for the Notre Dame job (which could happen in a few years). I believe Campbell.

He also just checked another box with the big win at Kinnick.
The money ain't lateral.

What's really crazy is that if ISU does beat Iowa, they tend to blow their wad and do next to nothing for the rest of the season. KF has been known to lose to clearly inferior ISU teams (I know the Hawks have had a couple 7-8 win seasons in the past but failed to beat 2-3 win ISU teams, which is ridiculous).

I wouldn't put it past ISU to rest on their laurels and finish 4-8, but MC is the best coach they've had since the Johnny Majors/Earle Bruce days. They won't be anything special, but probably good enough to finish middle of the pack in the B12.

Meanwhile, Iowa's offense will continue to ride on the short bus until further notice. It's frustrating that Kirk and Brian acknowledge that we have quite a situation on our hands, but continue to fail to make any meaningful changes. If Iowa's going to crash and burn, so be it, but I'd rather Iowa go 4-8 with some new faces on offense than go 4-8 with the exact same personnel game-in, game-out. This has got to be taking its toll on the rest of the team.
Different head coach now. Past post-Iowa game performances are irrelevant It's Matt's 1st win so nobody knows what the response will be.

• Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
Different head coach now. Past post-Iowa game performances are irrelevant It's Matt's 1st win so nobody knows what the response will be.
To his credit, he's had them consistently bowl-eligible for the past several seasons so a collapse is unlikely. Unlike his predecessors, he's actually beaten Oklahoma (and has given them trouble even in defeat) and has had even more success against Texas (though to be fair, so has the rest of the conference - even Kansas). MC has done enough to lift ISU from the list of "least desirable" P5 programs so they can realistically expect a competent replacement when the time comes. It's still in the bottom half, but for sure it's no longer bottom five.

That is of course assuming the B12 retains a Power Five status amidst realignment.

I don't care how much money you have, $7.5 million is a lot to pay to accomplish nothing. The team isn't going to suddenly improve now that he's gone.

They probably said, "You're done on October 1st. You can hang around and be a punching bag for 3 weeks, or you can take this extra $2 million and go now".

Or at least, that's what i would have done.

As far as Matt Campbell goes, I can see a lot of reasons why that would make sense for both of them, I mean at least compared to a lot of names being thrown around.
The fact that they fired him now shows the impact big boosters and big money has.

The fact that they fired him now shows the impact big boosters and big money has.
Worked out pretty well for Frosty, getting paid $15 mil *not* to coach.

Just watch though, next year around this time he'll be in Tuscaloosa AL being rehabbed by Nick Saban.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hammer93
I think they'll have their pick of coaches with the amount of money I expect them to offer.
Nebraska is not a dream job for most people anymore. If you want money, fine. But in almost every other way, that job has big time problems. Most likely the next coach will get fired in 4-5 years.

Worked out pretty well for Frosty, getting paid $15 mil *not* to coach.

Just watch though, next year around this time he'll be in Tuscaloosa AL being rehabbed by Nick Saban.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in 4.25 years, Frost earned $39M

$20M = first 4 yrs x $5M/year
$19 M = this year ($4M salary + $15M buyout)
$39M Total

Frosts’s grandkid’s grandkids will not give a damn where the multi-generational wealth came from.

sort of like the Kennedy’s and bootlegging.

Yeah I mean frost definitely had to go after that loss, but why not wait 19 more days and save $7.5 mil!? Next weekend whatever coach is there takes the L to Oklahoma, then it’s a bye, and then the interim coach could have taken over on the 1st. Just eating all $15 mil is a poor business decision.
I think that they wanted to be very kind to a loyal alum.

Not everywhere is Iowa City, but there’s no need for hyperbole. Talk to anyone without a Hawkeye bias, and they’ll say both are great, if different, college towns.

great? no.

It's not about Iowa City bias, I've been to every campus in the B1G and a number of P5 schools outside the conference.

Last edited:
No chance. It's a lateral move into a much, much tougher conference. And they fire you if you are not winning quickly.

He has a life time guarantee at Iowa State, and guaranteed raises. He told Pollard he would only leave for the Notre Dame job (which could happen in a few years). I believe Campbell.

The way ND is going he might get his chance

With all due respect, I don't think you fully understand how demented & twisted that fan base really is. Pelini nailed it when he left those losers, he was spot on when he got into it with their media & fans.
Oh, I know all too well. I live on the Nebraska border.

Reactions: kwik44

If ISU plays the way it did Saturday, 4-8 is definitely a possibility. There doesn't seem to be a lot of gimmes in the Big XII this year. Both Oklahoma schools are in the top ten, Baylor is just outside, Kansas State has looked very good, as has Texas...although the Horns have serious QB problems the next few weeks. TCU and Tech both have impressive wins. The three weakest teams look to be ISU, KU and WVU, and KU is showing signs of life. Finished strong last year and are 2-0 this year, including a win at Morgantown.

Hell, we're kinda banged up; it wouldn't shock me if we struggle next Saturday against Ohio.

• Haha
Reactions: Goldencard
Yeah - I doubt they had to twist Trev's arm. He's probably pretty steamed that he gave Frost some leash and nothing good happened as a result,

Vamos Make It Happen GIF by Burbu

Frosts’s grandkid’s grandkids will not give a damn where the multi-generational wealth came from.

sort of like the Kennedy’s and bootlegging.
$40MM pre-tax is not multi-generational wealth(in the sense of not having to actually have a job) today unless the person holding it is smart with it. He has three kids, and those kids will likely have multiple kids. Definitely not Kennedy level in terms of building a financial empire.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Possibly. It's clear by the fact that they terminated Frosty when they did that they are going to pony up big bucks. They weren't even worried about $8M of chump change they had to dole out.
8 million? It's closer to 16 million. If the Husker waited till Oct 1st it would have been 8 million. Wish I could find a job willing to pay me 16 million to walk out the door!

$40MM pre-tax is not multi-generational wealth(in the sense of not having to actually have a job) today unless the person holding it is smart with it. He has three kids, and those kids will likely have multiple kids. Definitely not Kennedy level in terms of building a financial empire.
Well toss in student loans being forgiven and you are there.

It is an overrated job. They expect national championships that aren't going to happen anymore. They have the same ceiling as a program now as Iowa, Wisconsin etc but they think they are like OSU or Bama.
Nailed it. For a board that hates Nebraska football, there sure is a lot of respect being paid to it. Too many old guys on here who remember NE's best days. They lost blue blood status awhile ago. Sure they are in the Big 10 with Big 10 money. But they are a low population state without any natural recruiting advantage and there is nothing special about Lincoln compared to 90% of college towns. They have a lot of work to do just to get to their new readjusted ceiling, which would be to be competitive with Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. All three of those have natural recruiting advantages over Nebraska as all three are higher population states with better college towns to recruit to, and all located closer to, or even containing, some of the the bigger population centers within Big 10 territory.

I'm just not processing how so many Hawkeye fans seem to think that Nebraska, after two decades of futility, remains some sort of elite job. If Ferentz leaves Iowa at the end of this season, I feel confident that Iowa at this point would be viewed as a much better job than Nebraska by most coaches looking to move up.

He could be fired from Nebraska just in time to apply for the ND job. 😆 🤣 😂

And have a monster bank account!

8 million? It's closer to 16 million. If the Husker waited till Oct 1st it would have been 8 million. Wish I could find a job willing to pay me 16 million to walk out the door!
That was the point I was making. They spent an extra 7.5 mil instead of waiting a few weeks. Money isn't an issue.

Reactions: wkato
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT