ADVERTISEMENT

Can Ben K make 197 lbs next year?

In football, they had Ben listed at LB correct? Maybe Running back also? As a LB, at his height, he will need to put on 20-30 pounds. Question is. Does he have the speed? Now they could move him to say D-end, but now he would need to as at least 50 pounds. I do not see him as a RB at a higher level.

As for Wrestling, I think it is safe to say he could be a multiple national Champion. As some have already said, I believe how his grid iron days go, determines how much wrestling we get out of him. It is one thing to be a HS star, and another to be a college star, which is pretty much what you have to be to play in the NFL.

Certainly not saying he can not be a star, just not seeing exactly where he will play? The questions would be. 1) If he does not become a starter in first couple of years. Does he go all in wrestling? 2) How would that play out as far as Scholly $$$$ especially if you bring in another high end guy? 3) If he is a starter in football, but not projecting as an NFL draft pick type, but is having great success on the mat. Then what does he do?

Wish we could just have everything more simple. No recruits going to become Seals. No recruits playing 2 sports. No recruits deciding on which school to pick etc.....
LOLOLOL, it's called free will and people do what they want. wrestling is tough with weight management and people might chose different things.

LOLOLOL, it's called free will and people do what they want. wrestling is tough with weight management and people might chose different things.
Seriously? You have to poke the bear EVERY chance you get? This is, by far, the most reasonable, level minded post I can remember from Ironbird. Yet, you still have to triple lol response? For an ACTUAL Iowa fan, everything he posted is a legitimate concern.

Go after him for everything he says that is PSU related. In most cases, he deserves it. But, this is one of the very few times where I would actually agree that a PSU fan should......BUTT OUT!

That is in NO WAY what was said above. This is another subject completely.
Sorry, but your response was to someone saying he can't just drop right in and "hang" with guys like Kerkvliet, Davison and Schultz, coming in with no practice after a full football season. Mind you, all of whom I listed wrestled pretty damn well against Gable Steveson. So, yeah, I think my response to you has at least some level of relevancy.

But, to avoid arguing with someone who may actually be several levels more stubborn than me, If you say that isn't what you meant by your response, I digress...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: el dub and moug
Seriously? You have to poke the bear EVERY chance you get? This is, by far, the most reasonable, level minded post I can remember from Ironbird. Yet, you still have to triple lol response? For an ACTUAL Iowa fan, everything he posted is a legitimate concern.

Go after him for everything he says that is PSU related. In most cases, he deserves it. But, this is one of the very few times where I would actually agree that a PSU fan should......BUTT OUT!
Really, over that post? People chose different things and wrestling is tough. Every team loses people due to injuries or they just do different things. we as fans don't own the players and if they decide to move on we look towards the next man up. You might have some phenom decide he's done and goes all in on academics. for example, it happens.

I do not even know how this is a response to what I wrote?

Thanks again, I THINK : )
Really, over that post? People chose different things and wrestling is tough. Every team loses people due to injuries or they just do different things. we as fans don't own the players and if they decide to move on we look towards the next man up. You might have some phenom decide he's done and goes all in on academics. for example, it happens.
Again, at least we know you name fits well as you must be drinking a lot of Bourbon too often!

Reactions: McIlraveysMullet
Yeah I know right because I mean it’s never been done and totally unprecedented in college sports. Why would someone be so insistent about it not happening when the guy is clearly committed to it and it’s been done before. So freaking weird.

JFC. Dorks going to dork.
You get your nails done this weekend, bruh?

How many football games does Brody Brecht have left. I think he's probably done with that. Maybe we will get lucky with Ben the same way. Kind of doubt it because of the end game money. IMO our best bet is to get Ben in a room with an old football player and an old wrestler at the same time and see what kind of future Ben wants for himself. Wrestling is hard on your body but honestly I don't think it's football hard on your body or brain.

Sorry, but your response was to someone saying he can't just drop right in and "hang" with guys like Kerkvliet, Davison and Schultz, coming in with no practice after a full football season. Mind you, all of whom I listed wrestled pretty damn well against Gable Steveson. So, yeah, I think my response to you has at least some level of relevancy.

But, to avoid arguing with someone who may actually be several levels more stubborn than me, If you say that isn't what you meant by your response, I digress...

He also said "...any number of other guys."

If Josh Freaking Hokit can finish 5th in a bracket with Nickal, Moore, Brucki, Warner, etc. then don't tell me Ben can't possibly be on the stand. Ridiculousness.

Lol. Ben K is a great athlete and he’s going to do great things on the football field, but that dude ain’t wrestling at Iowa. Football doesn’t even get done playing and back home until New Years, he isn’t just gonna hop on the wrestling bus and start competing in the B1G schedule raw.

Anyone who thinks he’s going to be playing two sports at Iowa is tweaking hard.

Unless you make the playoffs, the bowl game is a meaningless exhibition game. The only meaningful thing is the extra practices… but with that said, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets into the room at least part-time after thanksgiving.

He also said "...any number of other guys."

If Josh Freaking Hokit can finish 5th in a bracket with Nickal, Moore, Brucki, Warner, etc. then don't tell me Ben can't possibly be on the stand. Ridiculousness.
I guess I am a bit harsh because Josh Hokit type results would be a disappointment from someone as good as Kueter. Mind you, I don’t say that very often. To me AAing is a success no matter who the wrestler is. However, I truly believe Kueter to be a Snyder, Steveson type talent if he gives wrestling his undivided attention.

So, with that in mind, I find it hard to see him splitting time in 2 sports and not truly reaching that potential. Because, I don’t care what you say, Steveson and Snyder would not have dominated like they did after their first seasons if they didn’t go 100% all in to transform every single thing about their wrestling. Without Kueter doing the same, are we, really would he be, content AAing a couple times wrestling mid January through March?

I guess I am a bit harsh because Josh Hokit type results would be a disappointment from someone as good as Kueter. Mind you, I don’t say that very often. To me AAing is a success no matter who the wrestler is. However, I truly believe Kueter to be a Snyder, Steveson type talent if he gives wrestling his undivided attention.

So, with that in mind, I find it hard to see him splitting time in 2 sports and not truly reaching that potential. Because, I don’t care what you say, Steveson and Snyder would not have dominated like they did after their first seasons if they didn’t go 100% all in to transform every single thing about their wrestling. Without Kueter doing the same, are we, really would he be, content AAing a couple times wrestling mid January through March?

Yeah I mean if you want to move the goalposts from “Anyone who thinks he’s going to be playing two sports at Iowa is tweaking hard” to here you definitely have a better point. Because…logic.

I'd take Sherwyn Thorson-like results from BK.

I do not even know how this is a response to what I wrote?

Thanks again, I THINK : )

Again, at least we know you name fits well as you must be drinking a lot of Bourbon too often!
No, people can chose what they do with their time an efforts and maybe certain folk want to move on and do other things.
Someone wants to chose say military service over a college sport, that’s their life. They don’t owe you anything.

Yeah I mean if you want to move the goalposts from “Anyone who thinks he’s going to be playing two sports at Iowa is tweaking hard” to here you definitely have a better point. Because…logic.
I am pretty sure my goalposts have been rather well defined. One thing I am not is ambiguous. To me, yours seemed to be a bit transient based on the post I quoted you responding to.

Now, to be clear, it isn't that he can't do both sports. It isn't even that he can't be good in both. It's simply that he can't truly be great at both and I don't think he has the temperment to accept that. At some point one is going to call to him more than the other and he will almost certainly make a decision to focus on just one. Mind you, 4-5 years doing both at a very high level would be ridiculously taxing both mentally and physically.

I simply hope the one with the possible 7+ figure paycheck isn't the one he decides to give all his attention to, unless he proves to truly be good enough to be a top half rounds draft pick...

Reactions: el dub
He’s a smart kid and has a good support system. Presumably he and his family are factoring in the risk of CTE.

Much is made of the earning potential of a NFL player. The brevity of the average NFL career is often forgotten, however, potentially disabling brain injury aside. Also often under appreciated is the substantial earning potential (beginning in college via NIL) of a truly elite wrestler. He would stand to earn a very comfortable living as a world-class heavyweight and would almost certainly stand out more in wrestling than in football, potentially resulting in better corporate sponsorship opportunities even after his competing days are done.

No, people can chose what they do with their time an efforts and maybe certain folk want to move on and do other things.
Someone wants to chose say military service over a college sport, that’s their life. They don’t owe you anything.
Dude, are you drinking bourbon or smoking crack? Honest question because either that is the case, or you are not reading and/or responding to the correct post?

I said nothing about what he can do, what he can choose to do etc.... I was making conversation about his situation and asking how people would think it might play out under different scenarios?

Once more I never said he or any other IOWA wrestler owes me anything, and never even came close to posting that they did? You keep posting replies to my posts that have nothing whatsoever to do with what I wrote!?!?!

He’s a smart kid and has a good support system. Presumably he and his family are factoring in the risk of CTE.

Much is made of the earning potential of a NFL player. The brevity of the average NFL career is often forgotten, however, potentially disabling brain injury aside. Also often under appreciated is the substantial earning potential (beginning in college via NIL) of a truly elite wrestler. He would stand to earn a very comfortable living as a world-class heavyweight and would almost certainly stand out more in wrestling than in football, potentially resulting in better corporate sponsorship opportunities even after his competing days are done.
You make some good points there if he's a certain level, however I do think there still is risk with wrestling and head injuries. without checking I'd say it's a bit lower though to noticeably.
Years ago my mom hated football due to the injuries but loved to watch girl's gymnastics which had a higher injury rate when I checked. And 40 years ago it wasn't easy to find this stuff. But with what we have learned about brain injuries I will guess he'd be better off wrestling brain wise. And he won't have to manage his weight as much. Mainly eating well for performance.
My son went out for wrestling in his sophomore year and was made to cut app 20 lbs from 140. This kid was strong at the time prior to cutting but it wiped him put. He was around 5'7" btw and when he gave up wrestling after two poor years ( he'd gas and have nothing after 1 quarter) he did a little powerlifting. He was immediately pulling just under 3x his bw, benching near 1.5 times, and squatting over 2x in the raw category.
Being in the top class just allows a guy to grow if need be and to maximize his strength as best as possible.

Dude, are you drinking bourbon or smoking crack? Honest question because either that is the case, or you are not reading and/or responding to the correct post?

I said nothing about what he can do, what he can choose to do etc.... I was making conversation about his situation and asking how people would think it might play out under different scenarios?

Once more I never said he or any other IOWA wrestler owes me anything, and never even came close to posting that they did? You keep posting replies to my posts that have nothing whatsoever to do with what I wrote!?!?!
"Wish we could just have everything more simple. No recruits going to become Seals. No recruits playing 2 sports. No recruits deciding on which school to pick etc....."

I'm not saying you said that, I'm pointing the obvious out. People do what they want. I'm a pragmatist and realist I don't wish things that I can't change were different.

"Wish we could just have everything more simple. No recruits going to become Seals. No recruits playing 2 sports. No recruits deciding on which school to pick etc....."

I'm not saying you said that, I'm pointing the obvious out. People do what they want. I'm a pragmatist and realist I don't wish things that I can't change were different.
GUY, it is too early to be drunk!!! You honestly take what I wrote and you quoted as serious!?!?!? WOW- you have to find something to do with your life man!!!

Yea I was not being sarcastic when I said the above. OH, forgot to add. ALL top recruits MUST go to IOWA!!!

Money certainly is a factor that will go into the decision but I don't think it is the largest factory as some have alluded. Kueter is not coming from a situation where his family has had to scratch and claw to put food on the table. When guys grow up in a stable financial situation, they do not feel the pressure to "make it big" as a lottery ticket to take care of their family.

I have heard for years now that wrestling develops great football players. Some of you on here now are telling us that that is a lie. Ben doesn't need to focus year round on football. Wrestling serves as off season training and is very good off season training. Not hard to notice that many of the good players are former wrestlers.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabula and 12tdsaw
I have heard for tears now that wrestling develops great football players. Some of you on here now are telling us that that is a lie. Ben doesn't need to focus year round on football. Wrestling serves as off season training and is very good off season training. Not hard to notice that many of the good players are former wrestlers.
This is a misnomer. For every Stephen Neal, there are a ton of Konrads, Moccos and Coons. If you aren't fully focused on football the odds are VERY LONG you make a practice squad let alone the actual roster of an NFL team...

Reactions: IRONBIRD and el dub
IMO, the biggest downside of wrestling is the extra wear and tear on his body. Football is brutal enough.

Reactions: blhawk
GUY, it is too early to be drunk!!! You honestly take what I wrote and you quoted as serious!?!?!? WOW- you have to find something to do with your life man!!!

Yea I was not being sarcastic when I said the above. OH, forgot to add. ALL top recruits MUST go to IOWA!!!
I just took it as written, if you're just spit balling, no biggie, I get it. At my age I wish stuff was different too. I see a lot of fans that can't grasp these guys have lives outside the sport, but I would say you get it. I didn't want to offend anyone so I apologize if I seemed to be digging at you, I wasn't.
This is what I dealt with in regards to weight cutting, I added a little to my previous post:

My son went out for wrestling in his sophomore year and was made to cut app 20 lbs from 140. This kid was strong at the time prior to cutting but it wiped him put. He was around 5'7" btw and when he gave up wrestling after two poor years ( he'd gas and have nothing after 1 quarter) he did a little powerlifting. He was immediately pulling just under 3x his bw, benching near 1.5 times, and squatting over 2x in the raw category. My kid was actually handling guys because he had strength and quickness, he just couldn't finish due to the cut and inexperience. Thing that sucked was he was getting pinned a lot. He could have not starved and still did the same.
Being in the top class just allows a guy to grow if need be and to maximize his strength as best as possible.

Reactions: el dub
I just took it as written, if you're just spit balling, no biggie, I get it. At my age I wish stuff was different too. I see a lot of fans that can't grasp these guys have lives outside the sport, but I would say you get it. I didn't want to offend anyone so I apologize if I seemed to be digging at you, I wasn't.
This is what I dealt with in regards to weight cutting, I added a little to my previous post:

My son went out for wrestling in his sophomore year and was made to cut app 20 lbs from 140. This kid was strong at the time prior to cutting but it wiped him put. He was around 5'7" btw and when he gave up wrestling after two poor years ( he'd gas and have nothing after 1 quarter) he did a little powerlifting. He was immediately pulling just under 3x his bw, benching near 1.5 times, and squatting over 2x in the raw category. My kid was actually handling guys because he had strength and quickness, he just couldn't finish due to the cut and inexperience. Thing that sucked was he was getting pinned a lot. He could have not starved and still did the same.
I just joined this. No he can't make 197 next year and we won't need him to.

Is there anything else I can say that would help this thread?

That’s a tough one.

I spent a jv season cutting to 105 every week. I starved the entire season. But the 112 er almost never made weight. And I was forced to wrestle up the entire season at 112 while weighing in at 105 on the morning of duals.

Most of my opponents were longer than me and heavier. It was a tough year. I gutted it out and took some revenge the next season.

Anyone suggesting he might start for the Iowa football team by the tail end of next season might actually want to watch him play football once first. 0.0% chance.
Curious as to why you say this. I have not seen him play but he is a four star recruit and is Iowa's top ranked recruit on Rivals. What have you seen that makes you believe there is a 0.0% chance that he starts by the end of the season.

Kueter has the the competitiveness of a Matt Roth and a Tyler Linderbaum ... that translates to football really well.

What position is Kueter best suited for in college?

While football S&C can complement SOME of the required wrestling S&C training ... can it be done in a way that Kueter maintains the required conditioning for wrestling? Wrestling requires higher-stamina. Football benefits from great explosiveness ... but it only requires it in shorter bursts (given how short the average football play lasts).

As others have alluded ... how about the wear and tear on the body? There are different kinds of wear and tear for LBs versus D-linemen. Also, different bodies are ... well ... different. I think that it is possible for Kueter to be successful ... and potentially even elite in both. However, the bigger concern is burnout ... because the toll of being a student and athlete in one sport can already be a drain ... tack on another sport ... and you're then spreading yourself out that much more thinly.

I frankly don't know what to expect as it relates to Kueter. Also, those who bring up comparisons with Brecht ... I don't know if that is a terribly applicable example. There issue there being that baseballers still have substantially higher earning potential than wrestlers.

Curious as to why you say this. I have not seen him play but he is a four star recruit and is Iowa's top ranked recruit on Rivals. What have you seen that makes you believe there is a 0.0% chance that he starts by the end of the season.
I'd say there's also a very slim chance that he starts at linebacker. One thing we've got Higgins coming back and he is a stud. The next thing is we have the VA transfer coming in and he'll be a stud. The third spot is going to be probably manned by one of the guys that have been in the program for a few years and are probably well ahead of BK in being able to play. Sullivan and Harrell come to mind. I don't think he doesn't have the talent, I just think it's not an ideal situation for someone brand new to come in and start.

I have heard for tears now that wrestling develops great football players. Some of you on here now are telling us that that is a lie. Ben doesn't need to focus year round on football. Wrestling serves as off season training and is very good off season training. Not hard to notice that many of the good players are former wrestlers.
Umm, What you are referring to is HS. YES, wrestling helps make great Football players. College though, is much longer season and much more demanding. Some have pointed out how a few have done both and have had some success. What others are trying to say is. 1) they are usually the exception to the rule and far and few between. 2)The success we are talking about is, NCAA championships, NFL career.

This is based on how dominate he has been so far, at least in wrestling. No one is saying he absolutely can not do both or at least try both. The thing is, to reach the goals us fans want for him here on this board. His freakish domination will have to grow to a whole new level never seen before!

I'd say there's also a very slim chance that he starts at linebacker. One thing we've got Higgins coming back and he is a stud. The next thing is we have the VA transfer coming in and he'll be a stud. The third spot is going to be probably manned by one of the guys that have been in the program for a few years and are probably well ahead of BK in being able to play. Sullivan and Harrell come to mind. I don't think he doesn't have the talent, I just think it's not an ideal situation for someone brand new to come in and start.
I'd add that it is a rarity at Iowa for a TR FR to start at LB. Jack Campbell didn't start as a TR FR ... and he was a freakin' Butkus award winner! Some of the few TR FR who have starter at LB were ... James Morris is one of the very few that come to mind ... and that only occurred due to extreme circumstances (due to all the injuries in 2010 at LB).

However, starting might be less of an issue ... then just managing to contribute. Bo Bower slipped some in 2014 ... and Ben Niemann seized the opportunity and saw some quality snaps at OLB (as a TR FR - if memory serves).

The ILB spots look most likely to be manned by Higgins and Jackson. So the question will be ... who plays the OLB spot? Will it be Sharar, Harrell, ... or maybe Kueter? Maybe a stretch ... but not an impossibility.

I will be interested to see if Kueter cuts his teeth early on special teams.

OH, OK, Yes I too am a Powerlifter. started after my college wrestling career ended as did many wrestlers back in the day. Have had goo success at local drug free meets over the years.

Was taught be my father to LIFT and GET STRONGER instead of cutting weight! He was dead on when it came to this. Over the years I would try and explain this. The easiest way is to ask why kids cut weight? The main reason is STRENGTH or lack of. While there could be other factors such as making Varsity, or avoiding a Spencer Lee for example. The main reason to do it is because you feel you will be better off down lower and that is not because lighter guys skills aren't as good!

So it seems that your son was making a mistake and I have seen it so many times. When he did the Powerlifting, what was his age, weight class and best lifts? I like to compare numbers whenever I can to kids I train. My son, who just finished up his HS Soph wrestling season at 172. He does not power lift yet but hit these numbers as a freshman at about 180. 275 Bench, 475 Deadlift. We did not take a heavy single in the Squat but was doing Reps of 5s in the mid 300s.

Mostly just that true freshmen NEVER start at LB for us - we aren't exactly a work-in-progress defense lately. And then add in the fact that he didn't dominate mid-level Iowa HS 4A/5A competition as a Senior and I think it is a fair statement. Comparable to TJ Bollers, in my opinion - most athletic dude on the field who could eat up overmatched guys that weren't going to be good enough to play D3 in 12 months, but often wasn't a factor for long stretches of the game. Bollers ended up with two tackles in his redshirt freshman season at Wisconsin. They are both good players with ample upside, but the list of freshman LB starters for Top 20 Power 5 defenses is pretty short.

Reactions: IRONBIRD and blhawk
Due to the new-this-year rule that true freshmen can wrestle 5 dates, my opinion is that contrary to the dominant opinion--including from some national wrestling minds (@smalls103)--we actually have our best shot at seeing BK wrestle in an Iowa singlet in the 2023-24 wrestling season. I think that chance is about a 20% likelihood of happening. Unfortunately, my theory is that we might only see BK twice or three times for his entire career and that the matches will all happen next wrestling season. I'm predicting the matches would happen after the football team's bowl game and before March 2024. Perhaps BK will take a Friday match against a bad Big10 team with a weak 285#, if the Sunday dual is against a good team or a team with a more competitive heavyweight for Cass.

I think it all depends how much BK plays in football next fall. If he is not a starter by the final four games of next year's football season, then I think we might see BK Mid-January to late-February, 2024. His body wouldn't be that beaten up and one could make the wrestling case for him that he is not yet that important to the football team. Stir in that BK loves to compete and wouldn't have done much of that in a scenario assuming he was not starting most or any of the season, that he probably would love to run out in Carver at least once in a singlet, and that both Brands would like to give him a wrestling amuse bouche if they can make the case to Kirk. Brian Ferentz is on the wrong side of the ball to care, but seems to have already opened the window a crack from the public side of the football camp in a recent interview.
Fantastic use of " amuse bouche"

BK can play two sports, AND he can do them successfully. The hardest thing to do in sports is hit a baseball, and we all know the small list of pros that played baseball as their SECOND sport. Yes, the list is small. He most likely will focus on football, eventually. He absolutely has the talent to be a star in two sports for the Black and Gold. I hope to goodness he tries.

OH, OK, Yes I too am a Powerlifter. started after my college wrestling career ended as did many wrestlers back in the day. Have had goo success at local drug free meets over the years.

Was taught be my father to LIFT and GET STRONGER instead of cutting weight! He was dead on when it came to this. Over the years I would try and explain this. The easiest way is to ask why kids cut weight? The main reason is STRENGTH or lack of. While there could be other factors such as making Varsity, or avoiding a Spencer Lee for example. The main reason to do it is because you feel you will be better off down lower and that is not because lighter guys skills aren't as good!

So it seems that your son was making a mistake and I have seen it so many times. When he did the Powerlifting, what was his age, weight class and best lifts? I like to compare numbers whenever I can to kids I train. My son, who just finished up his HS Soph wrestling season at 172. He does not power lift yet but hit these numbers as a freshman at about 180. 275 Bench, 475 Deadlift. We did not take a heavy single in the Squat but was doing Reps of 5s in the mid 300s.
My kid had no choice and I wasn’t going to force him to quit. When he was done with wrestling he went into a powerlifting meet. His weight was near 140 and he went down to 132. This was a 24 hour weigh in federation so the cut was easy. As soon as he weighed in we ate and hydrated.
That was easy. After his junior year he just quit and concentrated on academics. He was on the varsity rowing team at Lehigh one year but again decided after that season to just workout and study. He’s an aerospace engineer now and doing well.

Last edited:
Reactions: IRONBIRD and el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT