ADVERTISEMENT

Can Biden perform and can Trump be boring? Key questions ahead of high-stakes presidential debate

According to whom?

Do the journalists work for us or the politicians? Have you seen debates before?

This might be more bizarre than the claim that if Biden makes a salient point he’s “on drugs.”
It's a debate. It's up to the opposing debater to refute what the other person said.

It's not up to the moderator to inject themselves into the debate.

The post debate analysis is the time for that for the media IMO.

The moderators job is to hold the debaters to the rules of the debate and ask questions...not to fact check.

How you guys feel about one of the candidates needing a week of prep for a 90 minute event?

If we are being honest, the guy who has failed at every leadership opportunity needing to study for a week, as Russia escalates, is perfectly on brand for him.

• Haha
Reactions: TC Nole OX
That's what the post debate review is for,.. During the debate itself, corrections to comments made should come from the opposing candidate...
Yes…hold him accountable when nobody’s watching.
How you guys feel about one of the candidates needing a week of prep for a 90 minute event?

If we are being honest, the guy who has failed at every leadership opportunity needing to study for a week, as Russia escalates, is perfectly on brand for him.
I know you’re smart enough that virtually every debate in politics is predated by several days worth of debate prep by the candidates involved.

Trump has famously always hated prep cuz he hates homework.

Yes…hold him accountable when nobody’s watching.

I know you’re smart enough that virtually every debate in politics is predated by several days worth of debate prep by the candidates involved.

Trump has famously always hated prep cuz he hates homework.
Debate prep and locking yourself in camp David as war with Russia heats up are not next to each other on the scale.

And then there’s this cockamamie horseshit.

Which is entirely accurate.........

Show of hands - who besides whiskey thinks that Joe Biden is so locked away in debate prep that if this hot war were apparently fighting against the Russians becomes nuclear or whatever, the joint chiefs and Biden’s cabinet will all just be beside themselves totally paralyzed until grandpa emerges from Camp David?

Does this sound like a thing that happens in the real world?

Show of hands - who besides whiskey thinks that Joe Biden is so locked away in debate prep that if this hot war were apparently fighting against the Russians becomes nuclear or whatever, the joint chiefs and Biden’s cabinet will all just be beside themselves totally paralyzed until grandpa emerges from Camp David?

Apparently you think Joe is incapable of refuting Trumps lies and needs moderator assistance.

No Whis has lost his mind…

And you think journalists are there to be Trump’s PR people, fact-checking him in secret long after viewers have gone to bed.
Post debate analysis is long after viewers have gone to bed?

In addition, if Joe refutes Trumps bullshit effectively that's a moot point. That's the point of a "debate".

I know you're a youngster but moderators doing real time "fact checks" is a rather new development.

2012 with Crowley is the first I remember.

Reactions: Rifler
It’s laughable that some of you believe the moderators should sit silently by while Trump sucks the air out of the room with an unending litany of lies. Biden would be playing whack a mole all night just addressing all of them, and that’s less time for him to point out the glaring differences in policy positions and priorities for their next term.

Surely someone has an example where a debate moderator called out a candidate for lying and they were then shown to be wrong on that correction.

Sounds like folks think we should dust off the old "alternate facts concept" as a way to NOT hold trump accountable for being full of shit.

It's a pretty well established fact that trump employs the Gish Gallop methodology during debates and speaking. The implication is that he lies so much the other person will spend so much time going back and trying to expose all the lies, they will not have time to actually participate in the debate. And frankly, very few people can keep up with trump and his BS full time in real time.

While the moderators will have to call out and press trump on his more blatant lies, they cannot spend the entire time doing nor can/will Biden.

In addition, if Joe refutes Trumps bullshit effectively that's a moot point. That's the point of a "debate".

I know you're a youngster but moderators doing real time "fact checks" is a rather new development.

No, the point of the debate is for 2 people to offer realistic and valid solutions to a set of questions. To compare and contrast themselves as they would be president. It is NOT to give trump unfettered ability to spew lies and half truths and see how many he can sneak by his opponent. If that is the goal, he has already won, because he is trump and thats all he has. That and selling what he doesn't own.

No, the point of the debate is for 2 people to offer realistic and valid solutions to a set of questions. To compare and contrast themselves as they would be president. It is NOT to give trump unfettered ability to spew lies and half truths and see how many he can sneak by his opponent. If that is the goal, he has already won, because he is trump and thats all he has. That and selling what he doesn't own.
The point of a debate is for the two people to debate.

It's up to them to make their points and refute the other's...not the moderator.

The moderator role is to keep them both to the laid out rules of the debate and ask questions.

Reactions: Rifler
Debate prep and locking yourself in camp David as war with Russia heats up are not next to each other on the scale.
Yes…camp David…where POTUS is famously locked away and out of contact with the outside world the entire time he’s there.

Do you really think POTUS is EVER more than 5 min away from being able to get a situation report/briefing any time of any day, no matter where he is? By your logic, POTUS should never leave the White House because something could happen.

We’ve also never had someone like Trump who lies and makes incorrect statements more easily than breathing.

If all things were equal, I’d actually agree with you and rifler on this. This is simply another situation where Trump is 1 of 1 and normal debate rules simply do not apply here.

Reactions: funksouljon
Yes…camp David…where POTUS is famously locked away and out of contact with the outside world the entire time he’s there.

Do you really think POTUS is EVER more than 5 min away from being able to get a situation report/briefing any time of any day, no matter where he is? By your logic, POTUS should never leave the White House because something could happen.

We’ve also never had someone like Trump who lies and makes incorrect statements more easily than breathing.

If all things were equal, I’d actually agree with you and rifler on this. This is simply another situation where Trump is 1 of 1 and normal debate rules simply do not apply here.
disagree

Joe has been known to tell a tall tail from time to time. It'll be interesting to see if they're "fact checked".

In regards to this debate I wouldn't be surprised if Joe says inflation was 9% when he took office as he's said it repeatedly.

That aside...it isn't the moderators job to do that...it'd be Trumps job during the debate.

Last edited:
Reactions: ButtersHawk
We know the moderators are biased scum so at least we don't have to worry about the question of their integrity.

You guys remember degrading the shit out of Hitler for needing to do a bunch of drugs before his speeches?

I can understand why Hitler was Gassed, Joe, well, he's just tired.

The point of a debate is for the two people to debate.

It's up to them to make their points and refute the other's...not the moderator.

The moderator role is to keep them both to the laid out rules of the debate and ask questions.
If it were done in good faith sure. In the past candidates may have lied on a few things here and there to better make a point and then I'd agree that it would be the other candidate's job to refute that. But with Trump it's a while different thing... he's flooding the zone with lies and he isn't arguing his positions in good faith. If we just relied on Biden to refute the lies he would just spend the whole debate doing that. That's not the point of this. The point is to display why your policies and positions are the best for our country. All trump has is muddying the waters. It's quite clear no one disputes Trump can't win if we hold him accountable and make him actually defend his positions because we all know he doesn't have any.

Your comment on Trump is somewhat true, if it stopped with Trump, but it didn't, because then we got Biden. It's easy to take shots at Trump, but why doesn't Biden get held to the same standard. We can discuss all the lies about growing up in the Jewish, Puerto Rican, Polish communities, or attending synagogues or black churches, or being a truck driver, or getting arrested for civil rights protests, or Uncle Bosie getting eatne by cannibals, or graduating in the top of his class, or being a star football player, or getting an appointment to the Naval Academy, and on and on. Those are all about Biden himself.

If we want to get into political lies, there are too many to count, just on guns and gun control. They are all called out in the media, yet he keeps repeating them. Um, Joe, yes I could own a cannon during the colonial days, and guess what, I can own a cannon today.

Trump has, fairly, been labeled a liar. He's set a really low bar to be better than.

I don't fault the Biden handlers for doing extensive debate prep. That's what should be happening. We want our POTUS and our POTUS candidates to be knowledgeable about current issues, and have proposals to solve those issues. Trump is such a narcissist that he thinks he already has all the answers.

The truth is, neither are fit to be POTUS. This debate isn't about who's fit, it's about who's the better of two really sorry choices. Biden needs to show he's physically and mentally fit enough to be able to do the job for 4 years. Trump needs to show he has solutions to problems without being a complete asshole.

The MAGAs and BUT Trump people already have their minds made up. It's the roughly 10% in the middle, in the swing states, that matter most.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
You guys remember degrading the shit out of Hitler for needing to do a bunch of drugs before his speeches?

I can understand why Hitler was Gassed, Joe, well, he's just tired.
Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: FlickShagwell
If it were done in good faith sure. In the past candidates may have lied on a few things here and there to better make a point and then I'd agree that it would be the other candidate's job to refute that. But with Trump it's a while different thing... he's flooding the zone with lies and he isn't arguing his positions in good faith. If we just relied on Biden to refute the lies he would just spend the whole debate doing that. That's not the point of this. The point is to display why your policies and positions are the best for our country. All trump has is muddying the waters. It's quite clear no one disputes Trump can't win if we hold him accountable and make him actually defend his positions because we all know he doesn't have any.
During the debate it's up to the 2 people on stage...or at least it should be IMO.

Afterwards the media and pundits can inject their "fact checking" or whatever else they want to...

The problem I have is the moderator becomes an active participant with the "fact checking" and it can be biased and selective.

Part of evaluating the debate is seeing how each person can think on their feet and react to what the other person says.

During the debate it's up to the 2 people on stage...or at least it should be.

Afterwards the media and pundits can inject their "fact checking" or whatever else they want to...

The problem I have is the moderator becomes an active participant with the "fact checking" and it can be biased and selective.
In an ideal would yes that's what would happen I agree. But the moderators job is to also make sure things are fair for both and while you don't think it's fair they provide fact checking I don't think it's fair to turn the debate into a shit show. It's the moderators job to maintain equality as much as possible and with Trump part of that involves calling out his lies. I'll say this they should stick to just calling out the blatant lies and anything subtle should be on Biden to point out.

In an ideal would yes that's what would happen I agree. But the moderators job is to also make sure things are fair for both and while you don't think it's fair they provide fact checking I don't think it's fair to turn the debate into a shit show. It's the moderators job to maintain equality as much as possible and with Trump part of that involves calling out his lies. I'll say this they should stick to just calling out the blatant lies and anything subtle should be on Biden to point out.
Fair enough.

I just feel the moderators tend to be a little subjective on this front.

disagree

Joe has been known to tell a tall tail from time to time. It'll be interesting to see if they're "fact checked".

In regards to this debate I wouldn't be surprised if Joe says inflation was 9% when he took office as he's said it repeatedly.

That aside...it isn't the moderators job to do that...it'd be Trumps job during the debate.
Again tho - Biden telling tall tales, stretching the truth, etc., isn’t uncommon for the average politician…and he absolutely should get called out whenever he does it - and he mostly does.

Trump is simply on another level altogether.

Interesting thread.. CNN desperate for full narrative control of the debate apparently. Not gonna stop anyone from fact checking them in real time.

Again tho - Biden telling tall tales, stretching the truth, etc., isn’t uncommon for the average politician…and he absolutely should get called out whenever he does it - and he mostly does.

Shame about his uncle being eaten by savages in papa new guinea. Just embellishment though, right?

Once again. That isn't the moderators job...or shouldn't be.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

Reactions: sober_teacher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT