ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain why childless, single working women is a bad thing?

What are the exclusions?

For 99% of the population, you can give more than the annual gift exclusion and nobody pays a dime of tax.

The only thing the donor needs to do is file a gift tax return which is very easy and doesn’t cost much. At least I don’t charge much.

Tom Cruise What GIF
Their whole argument is missing logic. There's a bunch of perceived slights toward families with children that have no basis in reality just hypotheticals.

Reactions: McLovin32
It is totally accurate but we will agree to disagree. And yes, you are incredibly confused. SS benefits ARE also currently taxed at certain income levels. Another stupid proposal that is floating around is to eliminate taxes on them.

Wrong again.
SS is not taxed in many states. Some states have no income tax at all.

The point remains that not all income is taxed. It wouldn't be some extreme outlier to eliminate tax on tips.

For 99% of the population, you can give more than the annual gift exclusion and nobody pays a dime of tax.

The only thing the donor needs to do is file a gift tax return which is very easy and doesn’t cost much. At least I don’t charge much.
Yes, but it comes out of the federal estate exemption at a later date.

From ChatGPT:

Progressive Tax Rates: Any gift amounts exceeding the annual exclusion and lifetime exemption are subject to gift tax at rates that range from 18% to 40%, depending on the size of the gift and cumulative gifts over the lifetime.

To each their own, who cares? The part that raises eyebrows is that nearly 70% of the people you describe vote Democrat and over half of those women are clinically diagnosed with a mental health issue. THAT is a MAJOR problem and points to something not being healthy or good about the lifestyle in general.

Wow, this thread went off the rails. My partner and I decided that neither of us want to have kids, so we're not having them. If that bothers you, then you can GFY. See Tim Walz' golden rule: "Mind your own damn business". We both have good paying jobs, but still have to watch our spending. I can't imagine trying to support a family with a household income under 100k (In 2024, the median annual household income is estimated to be $78,171).

@Hoosierhawkeye what's worse for society, someone that chooses not to have kids or someone that shits out 8 kids they can't afford and lives off the government teet?

Wow, this thread went off the rails. My partner and I decided that neither of us want to have kids, so we're not having them. If that bothers you, then you can GFY. See Tim Walz' golden rule: "Mind your own damn business". We both have good paying jobs, but still have to watch our spending. I can't imagine trying to support a family with a household income under 100k (In 2024, the median annual household income is estimated to be $78,171).

@Hoosierhawkeye what's worse for society, someone that chooses not to have kids or someone that shits out 8 kids they can't afford and lives off the government teet?
All I see here is you saying you're selfish. How dare you and your partner decide what's best for you and do exactly that?! You're supposed to think of whats best for AMERICA and then do that instead.

SS is not taxed in many states. Some states have no income tax at all.

The point remains that not all income is taxed. It wouldn't be some extreme outlier to eliminate tax on tips.
We are talking about Federal taxes silly, but you knew that already and yes, it would be an outlier.

No reason in the world why the guy making $20/hr pays more in taxes than the guy getting paid a wage of $15/hr and getting another $15/hr in tips for a total of $30/hr. Dumb, Dumb. Dumb.

It's both and. . . I have said many times we need to pass things like paid family leave, child tax credit increases and daycare assistance increases. Those are the first and most obvious steps.

You say it’s obvious.

We have a vice presidential candidate calling women who don’t have kids sociopaths.

We are talking about Federal taxes silly, but you knew that already and yes, it would be an outlier.

No reason in the world why the guy making $20/hr pays more in taxes than the guy getting paid a wage of $15/hr and getting another $15/hr in tips for a total of $30/hr. Dumb, Dumb. Dumb.
I've been talking about the regulation of taxes and the ability to exclude some income. You've been trying to say that all income is taxed and that's simply incorrect. I've given you many examples. Whether tips should continue to be taxed or be tax free for some workers is still in question, in my mind. But the rationale that they have to be taxed because all income is taxed is nonsense.

As for the differentiation in earnings, those are generally different jobs and often expects the cash tips will be non-taxed. Your own logic suggests the tip earner at $30/hr total is paying less in taxes as it stands now.

There will never be a time that half of the US population just decides to stop paying taxes. Making up an impossible fictional scenario doesn't help you prove any sort of point whatsoever.

I don't think people need to have kids, because what if a gigantic asteroid hits the earth and destroys it? Then nothing matters. So therefore, people don't need to have kids.

See how silly that is?
Well almost half of us don’t pay taxes right now.

Reactions: McLovin32
I've been talking about the regulation of taxes and the ability to exclude some income. You've been trying to say that all income is taxed and that's simply incorrect. I've given you many examples. Whether tips should continue to be taxed or be tax free for some workers is still in question, in my mind. But the rationale that they have to be taxed because all income is taxed is nonsense.
Ok.

Oh I understand it very well. Gains that are made under the original owner are never recognized from a tax perspective because of the step up in basis to the person who inherits it. Those assets are a transfer of property or wealth from one generation to the next. It is not considered income.
Which. Is. Why. We. Have. The. Inheritance. Tax.

Absent the step up in basis - which is how it worked for the first few years - the estate would owe taxes on the entire appreciation from the time of purchase. The heir could then be assessed a capital gains tax upon sale ALSO based on the full appreciation of the asset - it was treated as income.

It was the wealthy who called for the stepped-up basis because the record-keeping on their assets to track appreciation was odious. A flat tax at transfer was simpler. But it exists to capture the taxes an heir WOULD pay if they sold an inherited asset...or you could say it's to collect the taxes on the asset the deceased would have paid if they sold it...so still a tax on "income".

The irony of a bunch of men telling women they should have more babies to protect our “culture” should not be lost here.
I think there have also been some mothers telling childless women that having/raising kids can be a rewarding experience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT