ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain why childless, single working women is a bad thing?

The 50's and 60's had some lessons we can learn from for both things we should try to do and things we shouldn't try to do.

The racism and sexism from that time should be things we learn to not repeat.

However at that time most children were being raised with fathers in the home, they had access to either good job opportunities out of high school or affordable college education. They would also have access to affordable housing. We were building our population and expanding our standard of living both economically and technologically. We also had a good sense of community both locally and nation-wide. Our politics at the time was mostly tame save for people like Joseph McCarthy trying to destroy people's lives for political points. (Something we should not repeat by not making the dumber douchier version of McCarthy named Donald Trump president)
In 1960 the poverty rate was above 20%. In 2020 it's around 11%. Home ownership in 1960 was 62%, it's 66% now. Technology across almost all industires has improved exponentially. The notion that the US was a better place in the 50s and 60s is complete garbage.

Sounds like a boomer move. Screw everything up for some temporary gain for yourself and consider the fallout to be someone else's problem.

Our country has become too individualistic to where people don't feel they have any obligations to the country or the world outside of what the law forces them to do. They don't even feel obligated to replace themselves and raise the next generation.

All of are going to get old one day and we're all gonna want the productive people to care for us in our unproductive years. Now we can claim we deserve that because we did it for the previous generation. . . But the part they are missing from that equation is that you not only need to do it for the previous generations but you also need to create and raise the next generation.

If the case to be made for why women should breed is for king and country you’re going to have a very hard time convincing people of it.

People would have more kids if it were more affordable. That’s been shown over and over. We won’t do it, and we won’t pass immigration reform, so we’ll have less people. That’s the choice being made and scolding people about what they should do like an old school marm definitely isn’t going to help.

That's just not the case. You are making false assumptions and foolish claims.
No he’s not, his info is correct. There are fewer working people (Americans who pay into SS) now supporting more and more SS beneficiaries due to America’s aging population. So, projections show that by 2035/36 (unless changes are made to the SS system) recipients will only receive 75% of their SS benefits.

In what way does American culture disincentivize having children?

Individualism. Our culture is all about what you can get and how you can get ahead. The right for all their moaning about this has encouraged this themselves. As much as they may want to pretend you can you can not separate economic individualism from cultural individualism. It's all cut from the same cloth. People are told to make their lives all about them and don't worry about how what they are doing impacts others.

The idea of sacrifice for others is foreign to many Americans. No matter if it's a wealthy person voting themselves their next tax cut, or the person who leaves their marriage because they don't feel like they are getting enough out of it and f****** someone else might be more fun.

If the case to be made for why women should breed is for king and country you’re going to have a very hard time convincing people of it.

People would have more kids if it were more affordable. That’s been shown over and over. We won’t do it, and we won’t pass immigration reform, so we’ll have less people. That’s the choice being made and scolding people about what they should do like an old school marm definitely isn’t going to help.

It's both and. . . I have said many times we need to pass things like paid family leave, child tax credit increases and daycare assistance increases. Those are the first and most obvious steps.

No he’s not, his info is correct. There are fewer working people (Americans who pay into SS) now supporting more and more SS beneficiaries due to America’s aging population. So, projections show that by 2035/36 (unless changes are made to the SS system) recipients will only receive 75% of their SS benefits.
He's not. SS is not a Ponzi scheme it is an insurance plan.

I don't think it helps or does any good to attack people for being childless. However our birthrate is below replacement rate right now. Things are not going to be good for the elderly if there is no one there to support them. It's not going to be good for our economy if we don't have enough workers to fill jobs.

However I would argue the better way to encourage people to have children is instead of calling them names provide more generous subsidies towards the raising of children. A bigger child tax credit would be a good start. I would also name daycare assistance being more available.
Having a thriving middle class fixes this. People are putting off kids because they can't afford it.

It's both and. . . I have said many times we need to pass things like paid family leave, child tax credit increases and daycare assistance increases. Those are the first and most obvious steps.
What is after that? Because those proposals are already on the table.

Th
I don’t know…do illegal immigrants get social security cards? Don’t you need to become an American citizen first, before getting a SS card?
They use fake numbers in many cases. They pay into a system they have no hope of ever accessing.

Having a thriving middle class fixes this. People are putting off kids because they can't afford it.
It might help but the middle class of the 50’s and 60’s that led to the baby boom doesn’t exist anymore. It never will again. 1) the pay to expenses ratio is waaaay out of whack and 2) most importantly, women today have options. They are educated. They can control their reproductive choices. They are not going back. Period.

Reactions: gohawks50
Individualism. Our culture is all about what you can get and how you can get ahead. The right for all their moaning about this has encouraged this themselves. As much as they may want to pretend you can you can not separate economic individualism from cultural individualism. It's all cut from the same cloth. People are told to make their lives all about them and don't worry about how what they are doing impacts others.

The idea of sacrifice for others is foreign to many Americans. No matter if it's a wealthy person voting themselves their next tax cut, or the person who leaves their marriage because they don't feel like they are getting enough out of it and f****** someone else might be more fun.
I don't see how individualism is discouraging childbearing. Can you give me an example in real life because from my point of view having children is more celebrated now than anytime in history. Heck we now have elaborate gender reveal parties along with the customary baby showers. Everyone posts their staged child's first day of school pictures on Facebook along with the "mandatory" black or white board with the kid's age, grade, favorites, and what they want to be when they grow up.

I am asking a question. Do you understand that immigrants are paying taxes and SS etc?
I think he was pointing out a difference between legal immigrants…those that pay into SS & taxes vs illegal immigrants who don’t.

And the no taxes on tips proposals coming out of both sides is really shitty policy.
Without strong guardrails for abuse, I agree. I can see it being effective but I'm not confident that there won't be giant loopholes to benefit those who it's not intended to benefit.

No I want more people to make the choice to have more children. I want both a government that encourages that and a culture that encourages that.

I'm 100% a no go for anyone being forced to have children. As forcing people to have children has bigger ethical problems to it than the ethical problems facing us if we have a population collapse.

However people don't make their decisions in a vacuum. They make them based on economics and culture. Right now people are both economically and culturally discouraged from having children.

Economically because it is too expensive and culturally because our culture has become extremely individualized.
Even though you're getting beat up on this thread for some of your takes, and I do the same to you on occasion, this is a good post and is spot on.

Without strong guardrails for abuse, I agree. I can see it being effective but I'm not confident that there won't be giant loopholes to benefit those who it's not intended to benefit.
Loopholes aside, it shouldn't benefit anyone. Why would the nature of the income (tip vs wage) dictate whether it's taxable?

Ridiculous as the proposals are, cash tips are rarely reported so a tax "benefit" already exists for the fact that only those tips that are included with electronic payments get recorded as income in the first place.

It's a stupid pandering political move that needs to go away.

People should have as many or as few kids as they want. There’s no higher duty or moral obligation to replace the population. Wtf
Sure, but the argument is taking place at the level of why people choose what they choose.

The conservative argument is going to be that the old norms are falling away -- most people just planned to have kids because that's what everyone did -- and the new norms (as in part made popular by the childless cat lady sorts) are pushing too many towards being childless.

So the argument becomes about what exactly should be pushed as a norm. (what do most people find satisfying in life?)

The political right today is saying that the left is winning the norm battle.

The very liberal (as in concerned with personal liberty, no political party) idea that you load up people with absolute freedom of choice and they then best choose how to live is being called into question.

Do young people really know how best to unfold their lives? What should the norms be? Should we have any?

I think there are much bigger questions lurking beneath your point there.

Even more broadly... you could argue that the liberal west has given people great freedom, great technology and prosperity, and with that they're choosing to live more miserable lives by a number of measures. (the biggest one being social isolation -- family, friends, community, you name it)

I think it was Harvard that had the long term study going where the monitored dozens of people over their life time. They're in their 60s now or whatnot. More than anything they're finding that social connectedness is what seems to be most associated with happiness.

Perhaps, ultimately, maximal freedom ends up eroding some really important norms that lead to a happy and healthy populous.

Reactions: Hans81
I'm sure someone provided an explanation. I'm also sure no one provided a good explanation

Loopholes aside, it shouldn't benefit anyone. Why would the nature of the income (tip vs wage) dictate whether it's taxable?

Ridiculous as the proposals are, cash tips are rarely reported so a tax "benefit" already exists for the fact that only those tips that are included with electronic payments get recorded as income in the first place.

It's a stupid pandering political move that needs to go away.
I'm not sure it should but there are many types of "income" that aren't taxed, this would just be another one. As for your second point, to me that is a reason for not taxing certain types of tips. There's no good way to regulate it so spending money trying to do so is a waste. The only way I can think of to get rid of it is to abolish cash which is never going to happen in our liftimes.

Again, I'm not sold on it but I haven't dismissed it completely yet.

Holy crap. Can people here agree that every individual has the right to make choices for themselves, but at the same time those choices, as a collective, can have negative effects on our society? Nothing wrong with staying single and childless. But if too many women make the same decision we as society have a problem. Individually, not to blame. As a society, it becomes selfish behavior not to procreate and provide for the next generation. It's "I got mine, who cares about the next generation" mentality. So, as a society our government should be incentivizing families to have kids, not making it harder on them, because it is good for the future of this country.
Makes sense. Do you think our government is incentivizing it? I sure as hell don't. Dems give it a minimal amount of attention to throw some scraps and Rs are just trying to guilt people into suffering through and giving them nothing. Yeah we aren't stupid. Start incentivizing it and I guarantee it no longer is a topic being discussed.

I don't see how individualism is discouraging childbearing. Can you give me an example in real life because from my point of view having children is more celebrated now than anytime in history. Heck we now have elaborate gender reveal parties along with the customary baby showers. Everyone posts their staged child's first day of school pictures on Facebook along with the "mandatory" black or white board with the kid's age, grade, favorites, and what they want to be when they grow up.
Yeah, socialy media.

Overall, no, I don't think children and family aren't nearly as much of a centerpiece for society as they once were. (partially because there is so much of... everything, granted)

And in the media, especially on the left, news source wise, it's almost always bitching about family. From the perspective of how tough it is (to the individual with kids) or then all the pieces about not having kids. (bit of self validation going on there)

If you read Wa Po, NYT, Atlantic, etc etc... it's mostly talking about the problems with family in one way or another. Granted, news, opinion, and analysis skews negative anymore, but I see this overwhelmingly when it comes to kids/family.

That didn't used to exist. You could argue all that negativity is feeding back into society and affecting decision making.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Sure, but the argument is taking place at the level of why people choose what they choose.

The conservative argument is going to be that the old norms are falling away -- most people just planned to have kids because that's what everyone did -- and the new norms (as in part made popular by the childless cat lady sorts) are pushing too many towards being childless.

So the argument becomes about what exactly should be pushed as a norm. (what do most people find satisfying in life?)

The political right today is saying that the left is winning the norm battle.

The very liberal (as in concerned with personal liberty, no political party) idea that you load up people with absolute freedom of choice and they then best choose how to live is being called into question.

Do young people really know how best to unfold their lives? What should the norms be? Should we have any?

I think there are much bigger questions lurking beneath your point there.

Even more broadly... you could argue that the liberal west has given people great freedom, great technology and prosperity, and with that they're choosing to live more miserable lives by a number of measures. (the biggest one being social isolation -- family, friends, community, you name it)

I think it was Harvard that had the long term study going where the monitored dozens of people over their life time. They're in their 60s now or whatnot. More than anything they're finding that social connectedness is what seems to be most associated with happiness.

Perhaps, ultimately, maximal freedom ends up eroding some really important norms that lead to a happy and healthy populous.
Why does there have to be one "norm"? And who is choosing that for society?

Yeah, socialy media.

Overall, no, I don't think children and family aren't nearly as much of a centerpiece for society as they once were. (partially because there is so much of... everything, granted)

And in the media, especially on the left, news source wise, it's almost always bitching about family. From the perspective of how tough it is (to the individual with kids) or then all the pieces about not having kids. (bit of self validation going on there)

If you read Wa Po, NYT, Atlantic, etc etc... it's mostly talking about the problems with family in one way or another. Granted, news, opinion, and analysis skews negative anymore, but I see this overwhelmingly when it comes to kids/family.

That didn't used to exist. You could argue all that negativity is feeding back into society and affecting decision making.
can you give me an example of media that's "bitching about family"?

i'm not saying you're wrong...but i just don't know what you mean by that. maybe i'm taking it too literally

Reactions: gohawks50

My wife and I didn't have any kids. Did one round of IVF that failed and then asked ourselves what we were doing. We already believed there were too many people on the planet and too many kids without homes already. We decided to adopt a boy and a girl. We didn't do it out of a sense of civic duty. We did it because we wanted a family. Not everyone wants kids and I totally understand that. My wife wants a golden retriever puppy but we'll be getting a rescue, just like we always have.

Why can't people like you just accept and respect the fact that a lot of people don't want children for various reasons and don't see bringing more people into the world as a positive thing but still desire to have a positive impact on the world and those around them? Why are those things mutually exclusive and if they are not, why cast them as bad people?

My wife and I didn't have any kids. Did one round of IVF that failed and then asked ourselves what we were doing. We already believed there were too many people on the planet and too many kids without homes already. We decided to adopt a boy and a girl. We didn't do it out of a sense of civic duty. We did it because we wanted a family. Not everyone wants kids and I totally understand that. My wife wants a golden retriever puppy but we'll be getting a rescue, just like we always have.

Why can't people like you just accept and respect the fact that a lot of people don't want children for various reasons and don't see bringing more people into the world as a positive thing but still desire to have a positive impact on the world and those around them? Why are those things mutually exclusive and if they are not, why cast them as bad people?
GREAT post.

I'm not sure it should but there are many types of "income" that aren't taxed, this would just be another one. As for your second point, to me that is a reason for not taxing certain types of tips. There's no good way to regulate it so spending money trying to do so is a waste. The only way I can think of to get rid of it is to abolish cash which is never going to happen in our liftimes.

Again, I'm not sold on it but I haven't dismissed it completely yet.
Regulate what? Tips are taxable today to the extent that they are reported on an employee's W-2.

Tell me what types of income are not taxable today with the exception of things like executive stock options?

Regulate what? Tips are taxable today to the extent that they are reported on an employee's W-2.

Tell me what types of income are not taxable today with the exception of things like executive stock options?

Most tips don't get taxed because of one reason.

They don't get REPORTED.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Why does there have to be one "norm"?
Wouldn't a norm be what most people do? (can't have multiple mosts)

Who is choosing? Nobody. It organically develops within a society.

Hence one of the criticisms of liberalism: eroding norms in the name of freedom. (so people don't feel unduly burdened to be this way or that -- most on here would agree that we were too strong with certain norms in the 50s, for example)

The flip side is that in unburdening some people others will choose wrong and live lives that are less than what they could have been. That's the argument right now.

I suppose you want your norms to match what brings most people happiness.

Obviously I think we can all agree that what's optimal is people landing on life choices that best suit them. That's hard for a person to know when they're young.

Most tips don't get taxed because of one reason.

They don't get REPORTED.
Right. There is already a huge tax "benefit" associated with Tips for that reason, although it's shrinking along with the use of cash. I can only assume that's one of the driving factors behind these stupid proposals.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Holy crap. Can people here agree that every individual has the right to make choices for themselves, but at the same time those choices, as a collective, can have negative effects on our society? Nothing wrong with staying single and childless. But if too many women make the same decision we as society have a problem. Individually, not to blame. As a society, it becomes selfish behavior not to procreate and provide for the next generation. It's "I got mine, who cares about the next generation" mentality. So, as a society our government should be incentivizing families to have kids, not making it harder on them, because it is good for the future of this country.
Incentivization doesn't seem to work from everything I've read. (not so far Europe or in the East Asian countries)

Regulate the reporting of cash tips.

Gifts below $17K. Inheritance (there is estate tax for very large inheritances). Death benefits. For starters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT