ADVERTISEMENT

Carton top 3

KF missed on Oliver Martin right in his backyard and look how many more years he's been here.
Apples and oranges.

It’s borderline comedic at this point how Fran struggles to get a PG. Not that I expected DJ to come here, but the pattern is baffling. What might be even funnier is the number of opposing fans running their mouths to Iowa basketball.

I am guessing that Fran has known for a while now. Hence the offers/interest from other PGs recently.

Fran & Patrick know DJ well. They could have brought that up at some point. DJ, if you are going to drop us from your list, hold off for a little while. I would wager that has been the case since before DJ went to his final 6 teams.

sorry this is wrong...I saw a text sent by Fran on friday...saw a text sent by Francis same day...there is no way Fran knew until this afternoon...now he may have had a 6th sense but he did not 'know for a while now'. They never asked DJ to hold off doing anything...they recruited him as hard as anyone else....Iowa had some advantages but it wasnt enough.

I appreciate that DJ didnt 'string Iowa out' ..and unless you end up #1 ...#2 & #3 are meaningless. At least Fran knows sooner than later...so he can move on.

Reactions: unclesammy
He had one 4 star WR in his same town at a position Iowa struggled with. I see these as similar scenarios.
You're entitled to your opinion.

Also, see post above regarding the success of the FB program with Kirk vs the success of the BB program with Fran. Kirk loses one recruit and it's not nearly as devastating as for Fran.

Agree that KF has had way more success as you noted, which makes the miss on Martin even more puzzling. I think it is safe to say that some recruits are going to leave their home state regardless of recruiting efforts.
I completely agree with your last sentence. I guess the big difference to me is KF has pulled highly rated in state kids, at a better clip than Fran has. Maybe it’s a myopic view, but it seems to be the “difference” in my eyes.

Reactions: JohnO-2
At the end of the day you just cant make a kid go somewhere they dont want to go! All you can do is give it your best shot and see where the chips fall. Then we as fans have to put on our big boy pants and move on! Stop making totally stupid comments ....and I've seen a bunch of them and look for the kid that wants to be here!!

The only thing that surprises me is Iowa didn't make the Top 3 (just because he's an in-state kid). This kid was never coming to Iowa, that was plain as day a loooong time ago. Foster isn't either, so better get your mind right for that right now.

Now all we can do is hope we're able to kick his ass a time or two wherever he lands.

Reactions: iahawks10
I completely agree with your last sentence. I guess the big difference to me is KF has pulled highly rated in state kids, at a better clip than Fran has. Maybe it’s a myopic view, but it seems to be the “difference” in my eyes.

I'm having a hard time thinking of, elite in-state skill players that came to Iowa. Carton is a once/twice in a decade type recruit.

Martin
Darboh
Lazard
Arrington
Was there another guy that went to Michigan?

Keenan Davis was a good get

I'm having a hard time thinking of, elite in-state skill players that came to Iowa. Carton is a once/twice in a decade type recruit.

Martin
Darboh
Lazard
Arrington

Would you come to Iowa if you were a 4 Star Wide Receiver with Kirk Ferentz as the Head Coach? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Kirk's been around for 20 years, and helped put plenty of players into the NFL, but QB's and WR's have been pretty much non-existent. There is a reason for that.

I see lots of people posting that he and Patrick were friends. I have heard the opposite. Not saying my hearsay is any better than anyone else's but did anyone have a link or report that said they liked playing together?

Reactions: RocknRollface
sorry this is wrong...I saw a text sent by Fran on friday...saw a text sent by Francis same day...there is no way Fran knew until this afternoon...now he may have had a 6th sense but he did not 'know for a while now'. They never asked DJ to hold off doing anything...they recruited him as hard as anyone else....Iowa had some advantages but it wasnt enough.

I appreciate that DJ didnt 'string Iowa out' ..and unless you end up #1 ...#2 & #3 are meaningless. At least Fran knows sooner than later...so he can move on.

Oh, you saw did you. Great. Care to share?

Martin
Darboh
Lazard
Arrington

Not necessarily limiting to skill kids but off the top of my head KF has brought in:

Keenan Davis
Jordan Bernstein
Blake Larsen
Brandon Wegher
Chris Felder
Alex Kanellis
AJ Derby
Austin Blythe
Tristen Wirfs

Not to mention a lengthy list of top out of state kids. Not getting a high profile instate kid isn’t necessarily a negative, because KF can get high profile out of state kids. If Fran was able to do the latter, it wouldn’t be as much of an issue, IMO.

It is concerning.

Fans will come up with some ways to rationalize why it’s no big deal but man...this is not a good look for the program.:(
The last 3 or 4 articles I read over the last 3 or 4 months were not promising. Some of the things I picked up on as i read them were that he felt no allegiance to Iowa since he didn't grow up here. Several comments indicated he was waiting on the blue bloods to come calling. That didn't happen so lets face it, Michigan and Ohio State are having more success than Iowa and the kid said in an article he wants to play for a team that wins.

Reactions: TailgateTom
The last 3 or 4 articles I read over the last 3 or 4 months were not promising. Some of the things I picked up on as i read them were that he felt no allegiance to Iowa since he didn't grow up here. Several comments indicated he was waiting on the blue bloods to come calling. That didn't happen so lets face it, Michigan and Ohio State are having more success than Iowa and the kid said in an article he wants to play for a team that wins.
I got the same feelings. Typically when you can sense something is off with someone, your usually right.

Not too surprising. Fran has always struggled recruiting. But in reality, what matters most in the short term is that the team wins and gets back to the tournament this year. If they do, it will at least help with recruiting going forward. If they don't, Fran will be fired. You can't miss the tournament three straight years and keep your job.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Fran has brought in some really good players here. However, he hasn't recruited well enough to put together a really good team. There always seems to be a few pieces missing whether it be a good point guard, enough shooters to properly space the floor, a team full of poor defenders, nobody to initiate the half court offense, etc. We've just had too many recruiting misses, uneven classes, and last year a totally unbalanced roster.

Would you come to Iowa if you were a 4 Star Wide Receiver with Kirk Ferentz as the Head Coach? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Kirk's been around for 20 years, and helped put plenty of players into the NFL, but QB's and WR's have been pretty much non-existent. There is a reason for that.

No. Which is kind of the point. Recruiting skilled kids to stay in state isn't easy. Some of the others in this thread had annoited KF an instate recruiting genius and Fran not. That's hogwash. They are both lackluster at recruiting.

Not too surprising. Fran has always struggled recruiting. But in reality, what matters most in the short term is that the team wins and gets back to the tournament this year. If they do, it will at least help with recruiting going forward. If they don't, Fran will be fired. You can't miss the tournament three straight years and keep your job.
It is highly unlikely that Fran would get the axe if they don't make the tourney next year, short of a complete implosion and fewer B1G wins than last season.
The current occupant of the AD office hasn't demonstrated that his approach is based on holding the high profile coaching positions to account for wins and losses. Actually he has demonstrated little in the way of competence in the position outside of fund raising, which must be what his job description lists as the top priority.
I expect the most likely outcome is Iowa men's b-ball is better than the awful showing last year, but miss the NCAA tournament.
As for missing on Carton, that was completely unsurprising given Fran and his staff's record on the PG front.

Reactions: Burbank84
Fran has brought in some really good players here. However, he hasn't recruited well enough to put together a really good team. There always seems to be a few pieces missing whether it be a good point guard, enough shooters to properly space the floor, a team full of poor defenders, nobody to initiate the half court offense, etc. We've just had too many recruiting misses, uneven classes, and last year a totally unbalanced roster.

Yep. Bringing in two more bigs last year rather than two guards was crazy.

Forcing them into the lineup of an already bad defense resulted in one of the worst defensive teams in the country.

I'm at loss to understand allot of his wishful thinking.

Yep. Bringing in two more bigs last year rather than two guards was crazy.

Forcing them into the lineup of an already bad defense resulted in one of the worst defensive teams in the country.

I'm at loss to understand allot of his wishful thinking.

Agree that there's no reason to expect a miracle turnaround this coming season.
Seeing what you want to see is a common human trait, though, so it's not really surprising.

I think I may have heard this before but "prepare for the worst, hope for the best". Of course I don't know what I would consider "the best" to be with this winter's squad.

This just makes me respect Weiskamp even more. Iowa kids who could go just about anywhere but stick with the Hawkeyes are tops in my book. Let's focus on those kids and not worry about the kids who make other choices.

I suspect this year's team will finish around 18 wins and be in the NIT. They'll be a bit more consistent on both ends of the floor, but not enough to really turn things around enough to matter.

I'm already on record as worrying that Tyler Cook thinks this is going to be all about his offensive production and that's going to cause serious chemistry issues as well.

I suspect this year's team will finish around 18 wins and be in the NIT. They'll be a bit more consistent on both ends of the floor, but not enough to really turn things around enough to matter.

I'm already on record as worrying that Tyler Cook thinks this is going to be all about his offensive production and that's going to cause serious chemistry issues as well.

I think we’ll be much improved on both sides of the floor. 7-10 seed. Back on track...

Another year of no tourney with this group is not acceptable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT