ADVERTISEMENT

Cassar Gets 2 med years

Not sure what all the outrage is about. This was on the radar for quite a while and discussed a lot. And it remains to be seen whether Cassar opts to take 2, 1, or 0 of the granted years we all knew were coming.
No need to introduce facts into the discussion. This thread is all about fueling the board agenda; facts and truth are irrelevant.

Cassar did not Greyshirt.
In his first year (after high school), Cassar wrestled 0 official bouts (entered 3 opens).
In his second year, Cassar had shoulder surgery and did not enroll in school for the entire school year. He was not on the PSU roster (obviously).
In his third year, Cassar didn’t wrestle a single match or open due to a second shoulder surgery.

Not sure where the confusion is? The kid deserves an extra year without question. Nobody is making up the information. The precedent was set by Leeth.

Cassar did not Greyshirt.
In his first year (after high school), Cassar wrestled 0 official bouts (entered 3 opens).
In his second year, Cassar had shoulder surgery and did not enroll in school for the entire school year. He was not on the PSU roster (obviously).
In his third year, Cassar didn’t wrestle a single match or open due to a second shoulder surgery.

Not sure where the confusion is? The kid deserves an extra year without question. Nobody is making up the information. The precedent was set by Leeth.

This is very interesting. according to this poster and at least one other. Caesar "did not enroll at F*** st" in his second year? Honestly I would be as unlikely as anyone to know if this is true, but I certainly never heard that Cassar left F*** st. at any point in time?

I would have thought it would have been at least worthy of a small post somewhere. Maybe I missed it? My question to this poster and others would be. Where was he? What was he doing? Where was he living? Why didn't I hear about any other coaches contacting him about coming to their program?

I will go out on a limb and say he was still involved with the F*** st. program. That being said, what keeps any athlete from just "not enrolling" in school at any point? Maybe the great Kael has come up yet again with another ingenious way of making a career out of college wrestling!

I am not enrolled, I am gray shirting, I am injured, Red shirt, withdrew, .......... According to the F*** st. people. The NCAA granted him a year for missing a year when he was not even enrolled? So all those Wrestlers mentioned as jokes to get another year. Well why not apply?

Last edited:
This is very interesting. according to this poster and at least one other. Caesar "did not enroll at F*** st" in his second year? Honestly I would be as unlikely as anyone to know if this is true, but I certainly never heard that Cassar left F*** st. at any point in time?

I would have thought it would have been at least worthy of a small post somewhere. Maybe I missed it? My question to this poster and others would be. Where was he? What was he doing? Where was he living? Why didn't I hear about any other coaches contacting him about coming to their program?

I will go out on a limb and say he was still involved with the F*** st. program. That being said, what keeps any athlete from just "not enrolling" in school at any point? Maybe the great Kael has come up yet again with another ingenious way of making a career out of college wrestling!

I am not enrolled, I am gray shirting, I am injured, Red shirt, withdrew, .......... According to the F*** st. people. The NCAA granted him a year for missing a year when he was not even enrolled? So all those Wrestlers mentioned as jokes to get another year. Well why not apply?

An article I read said Cassar was not getting much money and the decision to withdraw while recovering from his injury was a financial one that was unrelated to his clock, which wasn’t affected by the decision one way or another as his clock already started the previous year.

It was very well document at the time and to this day that he took the year off school to recover from his injury/surgery. This is not news that is coming out just now. You definitely somehow missed the many posts about it when it happened.

Last edited:

Eligibility is a clock that starts when a student enrolls full time and attends class for the first time. Not enrolling at some point doesn't pause eligibility. The clock continues to tick. Obviously, this is unless the NCAA grants additional eligibility. But not enrolling isn't some sort of advantage or influence.

Correct. I wasn’t implying that. I was implying that because he was injured/recovering from surgery, he decided not to enroll at all. Honestly, I wonder if him not enrolling at all might actually work against him in gaining 2 years instead of 1.

Correct. I wasn’t implying that. I was implying that because he was injured/recovering from surgery, he decided not to enroll at all. Honestly, I wonder if him not enrolling at all might actually work against him in gaining 2 years instead of 1.

I read somewhere that the year he did not enroll was due to financial reasons. Who knows and it really does not matter. There are types of financial hardships which are treated no different than medical hardships in the NCAA rules. IE Mom and Dad have to file bankruptcy etc..

https://gopsusports

Yes, you missed it...https://247sports.com/college/penn-...hampion-Anthony-Cassar-talks-title-130445503/
"

Q. For those who don't understand, why did you sit out that year? I'm not from Penn State. Why did you sit out that year?

ANTHONY CASSAR: I got a shoulder surgery. I was sidelined for months, and along with financial difficulties. So my plan was to Olympic redshirt, once I medaled in Junior Worlds. That didn't work out. I was forced to take the year off, but I was able to get healthy. That's why I made drastic changes to my life and train hard that entire year. But, yeah, took that year off for personal, financial and injury reasons."

Reactions: slushhead

You seem like more of spleen-venter than an information gatherer, so here goes nothing: Cassar not being enrolled at PSU after the first shoulder surgery was widely known, reported, and discussed at the time. Here’s one example:

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5046503-potential-huge-blow-to-psus-title-run

And here’s Cael talking about Cassar in the fall of 2016 after his second shoulder surgery: "It was just a weird deal last year because he wasn't on our roster, he wasn't on our team and we couldn't really direct or take care of him, so he had a better surgery and he's confident and his doctor's confident he'll be back,'' Sanderson said.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2016/08/penn_state_wrestling_cael_sand_1.html

The reasons why he decided not to attend school don’t matter. He was on the team the year before, officially starting his eligibility clock; therefore the year he sat out should’ve counted as a year. He even says himself in the interview that it was a financial reason and that he was healthy enough to train that year, so is the NCAA giving “down on your luck redshirts” now?

Reactions: IRONBIRD
You seem like more of spleen-venter than an information gatherer, so here goes nothing: Cassar not being enrolled at PSU after the first shoulder surgery was widely known, reported, and discussed at the time. Here’s one example:

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5046503-potential-huge-blow-to-psus-title-run

And here’s Cael talking about Cassar in the fall of 2016 after his second shoulder surgery: "It was just a weird deal last year because he wasn't on our roster, he wasn't on our team and we couldn't really direct or take care of him, so he had a better surgery and he's confident and his doctor's confident he'll be back,'' Sanderson said.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2016/08/penn_state_wrestling_cael_sand_1.html

First off, once again, asking honest questions about what in hell is going on at F*** st. ALWAYS seems to bring out the butt monkeys in force. It also, if we are being HONEST, brings up more questions then answers!

Just like the Teasdale situation(sorry to bring it up, I am glad he is now in the right place!) How is the NCAA turning a blind eye to this?

Like Tiltman just posted. If someone decides to leave school for whatever reason(s). Now they can get an extra year????

It also brings into question. What exactly was he doing in this year off? If he was working a job to gain money, then my hat is off to him!!!

I am willing to bet that this is not the case. Also, how is it now that he will be able to swing TWO more years of college? To me, the are playing games on ever front and gaming the system that is suppose to keep college sports fair.

IF, the F*** st fans want to keep calling it cheating, then so be it. What I keep saying is. If they can continue to play these games. Then everyone else must also be willing to play by the "new" rules.

Can you image that maybe 1/2 their line up could be 6th year guys!!!

In other news. It does talk about Manville and someone else, "deferring enrollment" for a year. This too raises questions as to how this young kids can afford to do this. NOTE: I have heard about Manvilles ROTC and am still uncertain how that works? He is apparently on a 6 year plan and I would think that the Military would never allow this.

First off, once again, asking honest questions about what in hell is going on at F*** st. ALWAYS seems to bring out the butt monkeys in force. It also, if we are being HONEST, brings up more questions then answers!

Just like the Teasdale situation(sorry to bring it up, I am glad he is now in the right place!) How is the NCAA turning a blind eye to this?

Like Tiltman just posted. If someone decides to leave school for whatever reason(s). Now they can get an extra year????

It also brings into question. What exactly was he doing in this year off? If he was working a job to gain money, then my hat is off to him!!!

I am willing to bet that this is not the case. Also, how is it now that he will be able to swing TWO more years of college? To me, the are playing games on ever front and gaming the system that is suppose to keep college sports fair.

IF, the F*** st fans want to keep calling it cheating, then so be it. What I keep saying is. If they can continue to play these games. Then everyone else must also be willing to play by the "new" rules.

In other news. It does talk about Manville and someone else, "deferring enrollment" for a year. This too raises questions as to how this young kids can afford to do this. NOTE: I have heard about Manvilles ROTC and am still uncertain how that works? He is apparently on a 6 year plan and I would think that the Military would never allow this.

The Army has something called the World Class Athlete Program. Plus, it is not uncommon for Army ROTC students to take 4.5 to 5 years to graduate. Plus, a lot of Army ROTC graduates pay back their scholarships by serving in the Reserves. So, is it really all that difficult for you to envision a scenario in which Manville takes 5 years to graduate, and then starts serving in the Reserves, while working on another degree and using his last year of eligibility? All of this, particularly if the Army has him in mind for WCAP. And, if you think Cael is somehow in cahoots with the Army, then you truly are beyond delusional.

In this day and age you have 30 year old college graduates living at home. Is it any surprise then that parents who have spent money and time for years supporting their kid’s wrestling career would support them one more year as an 18-19 year old if it was best for their career? You have hit the nail on the head though. Your coaches are getting their a$$es beat and either adapt or continue settle for close but no cigar. They have the 3” binder. Implementing it isn’t that easy.

First off, this whole issue is still in the rumor phase. At this point we have nothing more than a Facebook post from non-reputable page citing another non-reputable page, I believe.

Next, the rumor says medical. It doesn't say anything about other hardships. Not enrolling is a "matter of fact" and at this point not offered as a factor in granting another year.

Also, how would one financial afford to not be in school? Get a job. Pretty simple, isn't it? Maybe live with Mom and Dad to make it even easier.

Finally, I don't understand why you're losing your mind over this. Would you not want an Iowa kid in the same boat to get the same treatment? By all indications, Iowa will be applying to get Kemerer's a 6th year. Assuming he has the desire and his academic house is in order, he figures to get it. It isn't all that long ago that the NCAA wasn't allowing them in his situation.

First off, this whole issue is still in the rumor phase. At this point we have nothing more than a Facebook post from non-reputable page citing another non-reputable page, I believe.

Next, the rumor says medical. It doesn't say anything about other hardships. Not enrolling is a "matter of fact" and at this point not offered as a factor in granting another year.

Also, how would one financial afford to not be in school? Get a job. Pretty simple, isn't it? Maybe live with Mom and Dad to make it even easier.

Finally, I don't understand why you're losing your mind over this. Would you not want an Iowa kid in the same boat to get the same treatment? By all indications, Iowa will be applying to get Kemerer's a 6th year. Assuming he has the desire and his academic house is in order, he figures to get it. It isn't all that long ago that the NCAA wasn't allowing them in his situation.

I will gladly tell you why. I do not want to see THE LAST of the true sports f-ed up!!!

Let me explain. The Homerun record is one of the greatest records in all of sports. Now the young folk on here will be like, "say what???" it is really nothing to them now a days. WHY?

Well the record was forever tainted. Roger Maris's 61 is STILL the real record. that is to say, on a LEVEL playing field. Those that broke it McGuire, Sosa, Bonds were ALL on PEDs!!! It would take a "freakish phenom" to ever come close to breaking 73.

After college Wrestling I went into Powerlifting. Loved lifting, loved competing, as did many other wrestlers at the time who also went into PL. I could tell you the champion in every weight class, and what they lifted etc...back in the day.

(Hell I would be willing to bet no one on here could tell me who holds the bench press record? Would you believe that the equipped record is OVER 1,000 pounds!!!!)

Then the sport went into various crazy directions. Many different Federations, with "loose" rules, new and improved lifting gear etc. All of a sudden, things started changing. The governing body of the sport had no direction, vision, and ultimately future.

You ever hear of Olympic Powerlifting? There are many lifters from all over the world, but can't get in because no good rules and leadership! Wrestling was almost ELIMINATED from the olympics!!!! WRESTLING!!!!!!

You would think that someone benching over 1K would be well known right? Well it is just about irrelevant outside the Hardcore PLers circle. How about Boxing? Are there even any good fighters around these days? Who is even the Heavy weight champion???

Again, a sport where just about everyone knew the names is now all but gone! The NFL, MBA, MLB, are all one big joke. I would rather watch Pro Wrestling, at least most know that it is BS.

So once again. IF college wrestling continues on this course. It is very predictable that it too will head south. Right now it is one of the only sports I follow religiously. I feel these F*** st. A-holes are going to screw it up!

Bruh. Bad analogy. The playing field hasn’t changed, nor will it change. You can still only compete for 4 YEARS!
It’s not performance enhancing! It’s performance opportunity.
They’re eliminating LUCK. Certainly you see that? Every single kid in every single school in the NCAA can benefit from this. Every kid now has his 4 legitimate shots at their dream. That’s as even of a playing field as you can get, Bruh.

I will gladly tell you why. I do not want to see THE LAST of the true sports f-ed up!!!

Let me explain. The Homerun record is one of the greatest records in all of sports. Now the young folk on here will be like, "say what???" it is really nothing to them now a days. WHY?

Well the record was forever tainted. Roger Maris's 61 is STILL the real record. that is to say, on a LEVEL playing field. Those that broke it McGuire, Sosa, Bonds were ALL on PEDs!!! It would take a "freakish phenom" to ever come close to breaking 73.

After college Wrestling I went into Powerlifting. Loved lifting, loved competing, as did many other wrestlers at the time who also went into PL. I could tell you the champion in every weight class, and what they lifted etc...back in the day.

(Hell I would be willing to bet no one on here could tell me who holds the bench press record? Would you believe that the equipped record is OVER 1,000 pounds!!!!)

Then the sport went into various crazy directions. Many different Federations, with "loose" rules, new and improved lifting gear etc. All of a sudden, things started changing. The governing body of the sport had no direction, vision, and ultimately future.

You ever hear of Olympic Powerlifting? There are many lifters from all over the world, but can't get in because no good rules and leadership! Wrestling was almost ELIMINATED from the olympics!!!! WRESTLING!!!!!!

You would think that someone benching over 1K would be well known right? Well it is just about irrelevant outside the Hardcore PLers circle. How about Boxing? Are there even any good fighters around these days? Who is even the Heavy weight champion???

Again, a sport where just about everyone knew the names is now all but gone! The NFL, MBA, MLB, are all one big joke. I would rather watch Pro Wrestling, at least most know that it is BS.

So once again. IF college wrestling continues on this course. It is very predictable that it too will head south. Right now it is one of the only sports I follow religiously. I feel these F*** st. A-holes are going to screw it up!
So you disregard a MLB record cause of PED's but love PL and know all the records. Let me ask what's the real bench press record, you know the one without someone on PED's. Irony.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

Ok. When Kem gets his 6th we will wait for your rant. Not sure how that's the same as PEDs but ok.

You might look into decaff.

What do you mean by Pro Wrestling being b.s.?

The Army has something called the World Class Athlete Program. Plus, it is not uncommon for Army ROTC students to take 4.5 to 5 years to graduate. Plus, a lot of Army ROTC graduates pay back their scholarships by serving in the Reserves. So, is it really all that difficult for you to envision a scenario in which Manville takes 5 years to graduate, and then starts serving in the Reserves, while working on another degree and using his last year of eligibility? All of this, particularly if the Army has him in mind for WCAP. And, if you think Cael is somehow in cahoots with the Army, then you truly are beyond delusional.
The army is cheating!!

So you disregard a MLB record cause of PED's but love PL and know all the records. Let me ask what's the real bench press record, you know the one without someone on PED's. Irony.

I will give you a quick history lesson. It seems to me that 1) Wrestlers have lost their way when it comes to strength training! One only needs to look back into the 90's to see the difference. Their can be several "reason" for this.

My honest opinion is lack of work ethic and commitment. One could argue that kids are spending much more time wrestling at clubs, open mats etc. so they just don't have as much time. The trend for longer leaner wrestlers in College also seems to be something, which may be due to the current rules and style(scrambles, funk).

This is NOT the case internationally and all you have to do is look at Taylor, burroughs, Synder, etc.... and what they look like now vs college.

What may be interesting is one of the first to be recognized as a record holder in the "bench" was a wrestler! LONG before there was the Russian Tank, there was The Russian Bear, aka Georg Hackenschmidt. He did in the mid 300's I believe on the floor. He also did OVER 300 in a Neck Bridge which is STILL a record. They use to pull the weights over them back then.

Many historians consider The Bear to be the Greatest Wrestler of all-time. EVERYONE who is a wrestler or wants to be a wrestler should know about him and this era of Wrestling!!! Especially since the ONLY man to beat him is another legend from IOWA!!!!

Other names that are very familiar to those who study the IRON Game also come to mind. Doug Hepbum was one of the strongest men ever to walk the earth! I want to say his hey days where the 40's and 50's but i may be off a little. He was the first to crack 400 and 500 to I believe. (Remember this is BEFORE drugs)!!!!

Another "wrestler" some may have heard of Bruno Sammartino was a BIG Bencher. This was still early 50's too. He did in the 500 range.

Pat Casey is yet another legend and he broke 600 right around 1960 or so!!!! This is still before any known PEDs. There was also a guy named JIM WILLIAM who "maybe" the biggest none drug user Bench presser of all time. He hit some where around 625-650 in the 60's and an unofficial 700 in 72 I believe.

The point of ALL this is I am very strongly against those who cheat in sports! They take away from those who have busted there asses! Please see Olympic sports today and do some research. I think the ENTIRE Russian wrestling team was band. They recently announced that ALL the medalist in one girls weight class(olympic lifting) were stripped of their medals.

IF, people, Wrestlers, Wrestlers parents etc are interested. I would surely help in guiding you toward what I consider a great opportunity to get a clear advantage over your competition on the mats today!

NO ONE should be surprised or upset by Cassar being able to wrestle next season. He DESERVED a medical as much as anyone could. Now, 2 years, that gets much grayer. I get that there is some precedent with Leeth, but granting a year based on a guy not even enrolling for a year is questionable at best for me.

With that said, this should NOT be a PSU argument unless we don't see consistency over the next few seasons. If anyone who missed 2 full seasons gets 2 back, then there is nothing to argue about.

To me, this is still much more acceptable than Rasheed's situation. I just don't see Rasheed deserving 1, but can clearly see a solid argument for Cassar getting 2, even if I don't fully agree with it.

NO ONE should be surprised or upset by Cassar being able to wrestle next season. He DESERVED a medical as much as anyone could. Now, 2 years, that gets much grayer. I get that there is some precedent with Leeth, but granting a year based on a guy not even enrolling for a year is questionable at best for me.

With that said, this should NOT be a PSU argument unless we don't see consistency over the next few seasons. If anyone who missed 2 full seasons gets 2 back, then there is nothing to argue about.

To me, this is still much more acceptable than Rasheed's situation. I just don't see Rasheed deserving 1, but can clearly see a solid argument for Cassar getting 2, even if I don't fully agree with it.

What, in your opinion, should be the standard for acceptable?

Can we please get Warner on this training program?

Maybe another summer trip to Russia is in the cards?
It makes me laugh that you have so much hatred for PSU wrestling. Honestly, it's pathetic that you are willing to slander a team USA wrestlers and try to diminish what he has accomplished because the team you cheer for can't beat the team he graduated from.

What, in your opinion, should be the standard for acceptable?

To get 1 year back: Missing an entire season or most of 2 seasons, not including an obvious redshirt true freshman season.

To get 2 back: never redshirting and missing 2 entire seasons or most of 3.

To get 1 year back: Missing an entire season or most of 2 seasons, not including an obvious redshirt true freshman season.

To get 2 back: never redshirting and missing 2 entire seasons or most of 3.

What about a case like Jordan Burroughs? Injured 7 matches into a season and got an extra year. Acceptable or not?

What about, more recently, Christian Pagdilao? Got an extra year despite wrestling in 6 competitions (4 in 2017, 2 in 2018) across his 2 injury years. Acceptable or not?

I don't have the encyclopedic knowledge of the history of NCAA wrestling that others do. But even I can think of a couple of cases that seem to violate your standard of "acceptability" (and are pretty similar to Rasheed's case, which is clearly the origin of this surge in concern over extra years of eligibility in some corners).

Let’s all remember Lance Armstrong was clean and did nothing wrong. Also remember when Alex Rodriquez got injected with vitamin cocktails by his cousin...he had NO clue there could be anything else in it!

AROD

What about a case like Jordan Burroughs? Injured 7 matches into a season and got an extra year. Acceptable or not?

What about, more recently, Christian Pagdilao? Got an extra year despite wrestling in 6 competitions (4 in 2017, 2 in 2018) across his 2 injury years. Acceptable or not?

I don't have the encyclopedic knowledge of the history of NCAA wrestling that others do. But even I can think of a couple of cases that seem to violate your standard of "acceptability" (and are pretty similar to Rasheed's case, which is clearly the origin of this surge in concern over extra years of eligibility in some corners).
Take a look at Clarion wrestling. They have two kids that were granted a 6th year in situations that would have never been granted in the past. Zacheral (they’re best wrestler) had never been injured prior to this year and is a 3x qualifier. He wrestled in 4 duals this season (his 5th season) and the CK in November before being injured. He was granted a 6th year. That wouldn’t have gotten you even a consideration in years previous.

It makes me laugh that you have so much hatred for PSU wrestling. Honestly, it's pathetic that you are willing to slander a team USA wrestlers and try to diminish what he has accomplished because the team you cheer for can't beat the team he graduated from.
It makes me laugh that a rodent troll has such a shitty team that sticking up for cockroaches is the highlight of your life.

To be clear the Rasheed situation is much more high profile so that I noticed it. I honesty don’t keep up on who gets Medicals, but I would have the same outlook for anyone in a similar circumstance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT