ADVERTISEMENT

CDC says to expect coronavirus to spread across US

Is this true? I've read 80,000 cases and 2,600 deaths. That doesn't seem as lethal as Spanish Flu.

The death rate is for finished cases not active cases. In other words we don’t know how many of those 80,000 will recover. Governments and the media are purposefully “misinterpreting it” to say “Hey only 2k out of 80k dead!” Yes, but how many recovered versus how many died?

Right now it’s 12,000 roughly have been deemed “recovered” and healthy and 2,711 have died. So of the finished cases about 18% have died and only 82% survived.

The death rate is for finished cases not active cases. In other words we don’t know how many of those 80,000 will recover. Governments and the media are purposefully “misinterpreting it” to say “Hey only 2k out of 80k dead!” Yes, but how many recovered versus how many died?

Right now it’s 12,000 roughly have been deemed “recovered” and healthy and 2,711 have died. So of the finished cases about 18% have died and only 82% survived.

It's about 27k recovered, 2.7k dead.

10%

No doubt that will drop as diagnosis is faster, treatment options improved.

Remain-Calm-Be-calm-Calm-Panic-GIF.gif

US has already submitted a vaccine for testing.
Trump's asked for $2B to fight the virus. Nancy will probably sit on it for 6 months and say it's not an issue.
Any more BS you want to throw out there to get updated on?
Stop watching CNN.
He also asked to divert $500M+funds from ongoing battle against ebola. What could possibly go wrong?

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Only 27,000 have recovered. I.e. >50,000 people may still be at-risk of dying.

I didn’t see 27k recovered, I only saw 12k as an official number. But either way, you’re right. The number of dead to recovered is HIGH whether it’s currently 18% or 7%.

It's not going to kill us all, but since it has a incubation period of 2-3 weeks without symptoms and is highly contagious, it is highly likely that the majority of the country/world will catch the virus. The mortality rate is anywhere from 2-10%. Some say 2-3% but I've read other reports that say there is a 10% mortality rate if you only count those that got well after the illness.

Saw this morning that data is showing that the infection rate of children seems to be significantly lower than for adults, or that children seem to have milder symptoms. Both of these seem like good news.

Saw this morning that data is showing that the infection rate of children seems to be significantly lower than for adults, or that children seem to have milder symptoms. Both of these seem like good news.
It takes at least a month just to know if you're sick. And we still don't have a vaccine. That means this thing will still be going at least into April. This is nothing to mess around with.

US has already submitted a vaccine for testing.

No. A private company has submitted a vaccine for testing, funded by the CDC.

Testing will require 12-18 months for safety and efficacy.

If we want to ENSURE a viable vaccine within 2 years, we should be setting up 10 vaccine candidates and testing ALL of them. That is how you guarantee success: parallel pathways, so that if one is ineffective or unsafe, you have 9 more to run with.

Announcing to companies that the US will pay for the testing for the first 10 companies to produce candidate vaccines would be called "leadership". Have you seen that happen yet?

It takes at least a month just to know if you're sick. And we still don't have a vaccine. That means this thing will still be going at least into April. This is nothing to mess around with.

Oh believe me, I'm taking it seriously. This thing will be an issue for at least the next year and a half, probably longer. As I care about kids more than any other group, I just found it to be good news that kids don't seem to be as at risk from it as adults.

Reactions: UNIHAWK88
I honestly think it is out of the bag and they have been delaying telling folks to avoid panic. I mean, you have a hotel in the Canary Islands on shut down, yet they want us to believe not one tourist has infected someone in NYC or Orlando? IMHO, due to the long incubation period, its already spread fairly far and wide as it has been brewing for a month now and there was really no way to contain it. Folks may need to prepare for some work from the house.

Oh believe me, I'm taking it seriously. This thing will be an issue for at least the next year and a half, probably longer. As I care about kids more than any other group, I just found it to be good news that kids don't seem to be as at risk from it as adults.
April is the absolute most optimistic date I could come up with the get a handle on this thing. This is snowballing fast.

I'm worried that my folks won't live thru this. They're older and have health issues. My wife also tends to do poorly with upper respiratory bugs. Almost always becomes bronchitis or worse.

Reactions: Joes Place
Because:

1. It is going to spread everywhere
  2. It is going to become seasonal, like the flu
  3. It is at least 20x more lethal than the flu (2% vs. 0.1%)
If everyone in the US ends up infected, at a 2% mortality rate, that is the combined populations of Iowa and Kansas, gone.

Now imagine you have a healthcare system that denies care/coverage to many infected, and how they'll just run around re-infecting others. Every "flu & COVID19" season.

That 2% mortality rate is inside of Wuhan. Outside of Wuhan the mortality rate, to this point is less than 1%.

Yeah-after reading some more this is just some prep.

Federal health authorities saying they now expect a wider spread of the new coronavirus in the U.S. translates to "Yeah, there are waaaaay more cases in way more spots then we are letting you now about.

I feel you. My parents are getting up in years too.
Yep. Mine are getting up there too. It has very high rates for the old, especially males. Glad I quit smoking last year.

On the flip side, having three kids, glad to see those rates are very very low.

Reactions: MplsHawk
That 2% mortality rate is inside of Wuhan. Outside of Wuhan the mortality rate, to this point is less than 1%.

Again, no.

In Italy, it is currently >3%.

10 deaths, 1 recovery, 322 afflicted (312 still alive)

My kid is doing a semester abroad in Europe, we're supposed to visit in April....this could really **** that up

Because it’s an airborne virus that’s already spread to tens of thousands of people, you can have it for up to a 28 days without showing symptoms spreading it along the way and its kill rate is worse than the 1918 Spanish Flu that killed millions. Also we’re at least 12 months and likely more like 18 months from a vaccine so it will likely be useless by that point.

Everything else you mentioned had easy to identify carriers and didn’t spread as easily. With SARS there were only 8,000 cases and Ebola about 28,000. Meanwhile with coronavirus, there’s about 82,000 cases that we know of and with the length it sits dormant it could be substantially higher. H1N1 in 2009-2010 did spread to about 60 million people in the US but it was relatively mild compared to the coronavirus so “only” 12,469 people died of it. If 60 million people in the US get coronavirus we’d expect at least 1.3 million to die from it assuming China ISNT lying about the death rate and there’s ample evidence they are hiding far worse stats.

But we don't need to worry because it'll be warm in April.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT