ADVERTISEMENT

CDC says to expect coronavirus to spread across US

Would love to see the stats on who is dying. Not where they are from but their ages and if they had know immune system issues.

It doesn't matter, it's all already his fault. The playbook is out. Libs praying for expanded virus outbreak so they can blame trump.

The blame for lacking preparedness and gutting the response team is already earned.

The only thing he can do to f*** it up worse now, is to not prepare for local US outbreaks moving forward. There should be top-down guidance being prepared as we type.

The lost time from gutting the agencies/organizations tasked with responding cannot be made up; what can be done is reinstate those entities and get them staffed with qualified, capable professionals. Of course, that means NOT vetting any of them for "Trump Loyalty Oaths". And I suspect we'll just get cameo roles filled with useless sycophants.

The blame for lacking preparedness and gutting the response team is already earned.

The only thing he can do to f*** it up worse now, is to not prepare for local US outbreaks moving forward. There should be top-down guidance being prepared as we type.

The lost time from gutting the agencies/organizations tasked with responding cannot be made up; what can be done is reinstate those entities and get them staffed with qualified, capable professionals. Of course, that means NOT vetting any of them for "Trump Loyalty Oaths". And I suspect we'll just get cameo roles filled with useless sycophants.

It must have slipped your mind on how uncooperative China was when this first started.

you think that since Trump is President that hospitals are now unprepared?

you think that since Trump is President that hospitals are now unprepared?

No. I think that because as President, he eliminated the Response Organization put together under Obama to combat SARS and Ebola outbreaks, then gutted funding for CDC and WHO. Those are some of the DUMBEST things you can do if you want to be prepared for this kind of stuff.

Hospital preparedness is nonsense. The LAST thing you want to do is put patients with this illness in facilities where it will likely spread. You want to do what the Chinese did: set up separate facilities to quarantine and treat people where you reduce the chance of infecting other healthy people.

No. I think that because as President, he eliminated the Response Organization put together under Obama to combat SARS and Ebola outbreaks, then gutted funding for CDC and WHO. Those are some of the DUMBEST things you can do if you want to be prepared for this kind of stuff.

Hospital preparedness is nonsense. The LAST thing you want to do is put patients with this illness in facilities where it will likely spread. You want to do what the Chinese did: set up separate facilities to quarantine and treat people where you reduce the chance of infecting other healthy people.

China wouldn’t allow teams in at first, how is that on Trump? He was instrumental in stopping flights out of the region and as of today all of the United States cases are either recovered or isolated. I still don’t get why this is Trumps fault and nobody can give me a straight answer. Listen everybody needs to take a couple of deep breaths right now and see how this plays out

I still don’t get why this is Trumps fault and nobody can give me a straight answer.

I gave you a clear answer. You ignored it.

Cases in the US are NOT controlled, as our numbers have been rising like everyone else's. Nor can we expect them to be controlled.

Meanwhile, literally nothing is being done for preparedness.

I gave you a clear answer. You ignored it.

Cases in the US are NOT controlled, as our numbers have been rising like everyone else's. Nor can we expect them to be controlled.

Meanwhile, literally nothing is being done for preparedness.

link to support your claims? What sort of preparedness should we be doing right now?

China wouldn’t allow teams in at first, how is that on Trump? He was instrumental in stopping flights out of the region and as of today all of the United States cases are either recovered or isolated. I still don’t get why this is Trumps fault and nobody can give me a straight answer. Listen everybody needs to take a couple of deep breaths right now and see how this plays out

It is his fault because EVERYTHING is political. EVERYTHING.

Yep. Wall money would be readily available...

That isn't how we spend money we don't have. We incur debt at the drop of a hat. It isn't like there was money in a cookie jar that we spent on the wall and now we can't find any more. We had deficit spending on the wall, and with a snap of some fingers we can deficit spend to fight this.

Reactions: seminole97
Good God, Murse. This ain't rocket salad. You should be capable of coming up with at least 5 major steps off the top of your head. If you cannot (as a health professional), I'd have to state, with confidence, that you are entirely incompetent in your job.

how do you know that things aren’t already being done?

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
No. I've listed, in detail, my quite valid complaints. Your inability to understand them is a 'you' problem.

Oh, I understand perfectly, but it doesn't matter. We have all noticed that there is not a single topic that you can't find a way to blame Trump for an issue, or in the converse find a way to deny him any credit. This doesn't need to be political.

Reactions: haw-key
What sort of preparedness should we be doing right now?

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/two-things-to-combat-wuhan-pneumonia.305494/#post-7435172

Nope. The two biggest steps we can be taking right now are:

• Prepping/planning for outbreaks in the US, with Rapid Response teams at the ready to advise and assist localities with setting up quarantine facilities and treatments
  • Getting samples of the virus into our BSL-4 labs to begin testing transmissability and evaluating existing compounds/drugs against the spread and for alleviating symptoms. Existing drug options are our best round of defense against this, and the faster you can evaluate candidates to try out, the less serious the outbreak becomes. The sooner you have a 'cocktail' that reduces the mortality rate of this, the less scary it becomes, which solves a LOT of problems.
So far as I'm aware, this admin is doing neither. Nor is there anyone at the helm to direct it.

EDIT: Third thing we should be doing is ramping up the ability for rapid screening/detection kits, with local facilities able to process them within minutes or hours. Goes hand-in-hand with my #2.

Now, are you aware of anyone in this administration, running the show, who is coordinating all of those things? Because THAT is the role that Trump eliminated barely over a year ago. That entire government function no longer exists, because of his spiteful nature to disband ANYTHING Obama did. And Obama created that function in direct response to SARS and Ebola (following along Bush II directions and recommendations).

That is called good governance, building on things your predecessor did that were prudent and forward thinking. We've been doing the opposite of this ever since Trump took office, which should greatly disturb you. Unless you're a colossal idiot who cannot think for himself, or use his professional knowledge to recognize things don't add up with Trump's admin here.

So the corona virus is currently out of control here in the United States because that is what you are claiming

No; I am claiming it has very high potential to get out of control in the United States. In the very near future. Because this virus is out in the wild, and containment is rapidly no longer a reality.

Oh, I understand perfectly, but it doesn't matter. We have all noticed that there is not a single topic that you can't find a way to blame Trump for an issue, or in the converse find a way to deny him any credit. This doesn't need to be political.

So, you think dissolving the US's rapid response mechanisms for this EXACT kind of crisis are "no big deal" and Trump shouldn't be blamed for it. Because that's exactly what he did.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/two-things-to-combat-wuhan-pneumonia.305494/#post-7435172

Nope. The two biggest steps we can be taking right now are:

• Prepping/planning for outbreaks in the US, with Rapid Response teams at the ready to advise and assist localities with setting up quarantine facilities and treatments
  • Getting samples of the virus into our BSL-4 labs to begin testing transmissability and evaluating existing compounds/drugs against the spread and for alleviating symptoms. Existing drug options are our best round of defense against this, and the faster you can evaluate candidates to try out, the less serious the outbreak becomes. The sooner you have a 'cocktail' that reduces the mortality rate of this, the less scary it becomes, which solves a LOT of problems.
So far as I'm aware, this admin is doing neither. Nor is there anyone at the helm to direct it.

EDIT: Third thing we should be doing is ramping up the ability for rapid screening/detection kits, with local facilities able to process them within minutes or hours. Goes hand-in-hand with my #2.

Now, are you aware of anyone in this administration, running the show, who is coordinating all of those things? Because THAT is the role that Trump eliminated barely over a year ago. That entire government function no longer exists, because of his spiteful nature to disband ANYTHING Obama did. And Obama created that function in direct response to SARS and Ebola (following along Bush II directions and recommendations).

That is called good governance, building on things your predecessor did that were prudent and forward thinking. We've been doing the opposite of this ever since Trump took office, which should greatly disturb you. Unless you're a colossal idiot who cannot think for himself, or use his professional knowledge to recognize things don't add up with Trump's admin here.

lol look up national response teams. This stuff has been in place for years,and you call me ignorant. You honestly think the CDC doesn’t have a sample of the virus right now. You can’t be this naive.

Reactions: hif in fairfax
how do you know that things aren’t already being done?

There's no organization to coordinate it. None.

CDC's budget's been cut. WHO funding was cut by us. Trump's CDC budget for this year was going to be cut >10%

Do you need a 'splainer to understand what "emerging and zoonotic diseases" are? That should be something an undergrad bio student would know.

http://thenationshealth.aphapublications.org/content/49/3/1.2
May: 2019

Trump released his fiscal year 2020 federal budget proposal in March, recommending huge cuts across the federal government, including a 12 percent cut to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and a 10 percent cut for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Among its proposals for CDC, the White House budget calls for a more than $236 million cut to chronic disease prevention and health promotion, a $146 million cut for the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, a more than $102 million cut to emerging and zoonotic diseases, and about a $52 million cut to CDC’s environmental health activities, including funding for asthma and childhood lead poisoning.

That isn't how we spend money we don't have. We incur debt at the drop of a hat. It isn't like there was money in a cookie jar that we spent on the wall
There is unspent money allocated for 'the wall' that can easily be diverted. Immediately.

First, it signals to US citizens and hospitals that they have nothing to worry about ("very much under control").

Given what's happening in Italy and South Korea, POTUS should be socializing the idea that it may spread here; instead this does the opposite.
This directly contradicts what CDC has said (albeit too tepidly) about the potential for community spread and the need for consider enhanced precautions.
If you're a hospital administrator weighing whether to trigger burdensome prep protocols, or a governor weighing whether to trigger additional public health measures, this sends a clear message: stand down. It reduces readiness.
Unroll available on Thread Reader

Jeremy Konyndyk@JeremyKonyndyk

https://twitter.com/JeremyKonyndyk/status/1226962875375288320

Had a very concerning chat with a hospital exec recently about preparedness for nCoV.

US hospitals nowhere near ready for conditions like we're seeing in China. Neither are those in the developing world.

If anything, this NYT report may be too rosy.https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/health/hospitals-coronavirus.html …

Inundated With Flu Patients, U.S. Hospitals Brace for Coronavirus
Resources are already stretched during flu season. With so much medical equipment and drugs made in China, public health experts are anxiously watching the global supply chain.

nytimes.com

1:15 PM - Feb 10, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

268 people are talking about this

Second, it makes it harder for CDC & HHS professionals to be honest about risk. As with Puerto Rico/Maria, POTUS has issued the party line: we are succeeding, countervailing info be damned.
And as we've seen with Sharpie-gate, there will be intense pressure within the bureaucracy to bring their assessments in line with Trump's public remarks, rather than vice-versa. The rhetoric will override the science.

Commerce Chief Threatened Firings at NOAA After Trump’s Dorian Tweets, Sources SayWilbur L. Ross Jr. made the threat after the agency’s Alabama office contradicted the president’s claim that Hurricane Dorian might hit the state.https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/09/climate/hurricane-dorian-trump-tweet.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

For a career professional, honesty about deteriorating conditions now means contradicting POTUS. Who wants to be the one to tell him when containment fails, as it likely will?
Third, it signals what Trump's main focus is: not how his government is protecting Americans' health, but avoiding a stock market hit that will politically damage him ("good to *me*").

That also sends a clear message to his team about how they should prioritize on this.
All of this weakens the kind of rigorous, disciplined, well-informed response operation required in order to keep Americans safe.

(See also )
Unroll available on Thread Reader

Acting Deputy Secretary Ken Cuccinelli

✔@HomelandKen

https://twitter.com/HomelandKen/status/1232026318801338368

Has the Johns Hopkins map of the coronavirus stopped working for other people, or just me? https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6 …

12:35 PM - Feb 24, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

5,861 people are talking about this

A final thought - irresponsible leadership practice aside, this is also political malpractice. Given that Italy suddenly found the disease had been spreading undetected, that must be considered a real prospect here as well (especially given limited US testing).
If we suddenly find an Italy-type scenario of undetected transmission, the president's tweet will not age very well.

/end

Amazingly, my 3 'action items' are ON this expert's list.

And there's no indication the federal government is pushing to coordinate ANY of it - just a Tweet claiming "all is well" and worrying about the stock markets.

So, it'd appear I understand what I'm talking about here. Do you, RN?

https://www.nrt.org/ It is not disbanded

clearly Joe you are so worked up about this that you aren’t thinking straight, grab a beer relax and get some sleep hopefully you will feel better in the morning. Have a good night

That is NOT the team that was set up; it was SPECIFIC for pandemic outbreaks, coordinating multiple government agencies thru one Exec Branch lead.

Per YOUR link:
The U.S. National Response Team (NRT) provides technical assistance, resources and coordination on preparedness, planning, response and recovery activities for emergencies involving hazardous substances, pollutants and contaminants, oil, and weapons of mass destruction in natural and technological disasters and other environmental incidents of national significance.

NOT BIOLOGIC PANDEMICS.

Good Lord, do you even READ what you post????

When Ebola broke out in West Africa in 2014, President Barack Obama recognized that responding to the outbreak overseas, while also protecting Americans at home, involved multiple U.S. government departments and agencies, none of which were speaking to one another. Basically, the U.S. pandemic infrastructure was an enormous orchestra full of talented, egotistical players, each jockeying for solos and fame, refusing to rehearse, and demanding higher salaries—all without a conductor. To bring order and harmony to the chaos, rein in the agency egos, and create a coherent multiagency response overseas and on the homefront, Obama anointed a former vice presidential staffer, Ronald Klain, as a sort of “epidemic czar” inside the White House, clearly stipulated the roles and budgets of various agencies, and placed incident commanders in charge in each Ebola-hit country and inside the United States. The orchestra may have still had its off-key instruments, but it played the same tune.

Building on the Ebola experience, the Obama administration set up a permanent epidemic monitoring and command group inside the White House National Security Council (NSC) and another in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)—both of which followed the scientific and public health leads of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the diplomatic advice of the State Department.

On the domestic front, the real business of assuring public health and safety is a local matter, executed by state, county, and city departments that operate under a mosaic of laws and regulations that vary jurisdiction by jurisdiction. Some massive cities, such as New York City or Boston, have large budgets, clear regulations, and epidemic experiences that have left deep benches of medical and public health talent. But much of the United States is less fortunate on the local level, struggling with underfunded agencies, understaffing, and no genuine epidemic experience. Large and small, America’s localities rely in times of public health crisis on the federal government.

Bureaucracy matters. Without it, there’s nothing to coherently manage an alphabet soup of agencies housed in departments ranging from Defense to Commerce, Homeland Security to Health and Human Services (HHS).

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/3...ited-states-public-health-emergency-response/

Once again, you have no clue what you're talking about.

clearly Joe you are so worked up about this that you aren’t thinking straight, grab a beer relax and get some sleep hopefully you will feel better in the morning. Have a good night

Almost comical that you think NRT is the "lead agency", when you go to their website, and there's not a word about this outbreak on it.

Nothing for local hospitals/cities to go to for ramping up PPE, no guidance links to the Hopkins tracker. Nada.

Clearly, you are just popping up irrelevant Google links to random agencies you THINK MIGHT help, but really aren't charged with the task AT ALL.

It'd be cute and dumb, if it weren't so damned dangerous to have this level of disinformation floating around....

This has been Joe's m.o. on literally every topic forever on this board. He isn't worth conversing with and it's why nothing he spouts can be trusted.

So this team which states it handles weapons of mass destruction which includes biological warfare won’t be used in this instance? This outbreak doesn’t fall under environmental instances of a national significance?

simple yes or no answer Joe, because if you answer yes you have contradicted yourself less than 5 minutes later, if you answer no then you are not critically thinking, which goes back to my original post about you panicking.

Reactions: royhobbs2
This has been Joe's m.o. on literally every topic forever on this board. He isn't worth conversing with and it's why nothing he spouts can be trusted.

Did u visit his link, and learn that entity has NOTHING to do with this type of national risk?

Check out their front page: nothing
Check out the guidance page: oil spills

Again, if you are a local entity wanting to figure out how you might prepare in the case of a local outbreak, the NRT page is utterly useless for you.

Of course, you actually have to READ the links. Maybe that's beyond your capability.

Good God, Murse. This ain't rocket salad. You should be capable of coming up with at least 5 major steps off the top of your head. If you cannot (as a health professional), I'd have to state, with confidence, that you are entirely incompetent in your job.
Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT