ADVERTISEMENT

CEO pay?

What is reasonable ceo pay?

• Total voters
50 years ago ceos made 10 times the average worker pay.
10 years ago the ceo of chipotle made 778x the average worker. Now me makes 1354x.
i bet the ceo of chipotle actually added far greater return for shareholders than the average worker did.

This metric is hardly ever useful when discussing inequality. Tough to expect CEOs to be anywhere near in line with unskilled grunt work, and for many big companies, that is their average laborer.

i bet the ceo of chipotle actually added far greater return for shareholders than the average worker did.

This metric is hardly ever useful when discussing inequality. Tough to expect CEOs to be anywhere near in line with unskilled grunt work, and for many big companies, that is their average laborer.
I don’t see your vote.

That’s different, contracted labor, and literally, a monkey could be a CEO where as people pay a shit ton to watch athletes
LOFL, stop dude. You are out of your league here. Now, I’m not saying the wage gap isn’t atrocious, but a competent CEO is worth his/her/they/them weight in gold. You have no idea how difficult it is to run a business at the highest level.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
CEO pay is up 1460% since 1978

Thanks for that meaningless statistic.

Look, the compensation for a CEO is determined the same way it is for any other job. Supply and demand.

There are lots of people qualified to be bottle washers, so the compensation for bottle washers is very low.

On the other hand, there are very few people qualified to be the CEO of an actual profitable company, and therefore, they command a very high compensation package.

What's your take on college football coach pay, Belem?

I don’t see your vote.
That’s because there is no correct answer and that the circumstances dictate that. CEO pay is often tied heavily to the performance of the company on Wall Street, at least in public companies while average labor is focused on a small function of the company. Average labor can vary widely by industry and scale of the operation

LOFL, stop dude. You are out of your league here. Now, I’m not saying the wage gap isn’t atrocious, but a competent CEO is worth his/her/they/them weight in gold. You have no idea how difficult it is to run a business at the highest level.
I was using hyperbole, but the pay is atrocious

I agree with this. Unregulated Capitalism is just as dangerous. Look at the current state of affairs in this county. It’s not sustainable. This county will fail on its current path imo.

I just find it really, REALLY, hard to believe one person is worth more than all of his employees. It does not seem American to me.

That’s because there is no correct answer and that the circumstances dictate that. CEO pay is often tied heavily to the performance of the company on Wall Street, at least in public companies while average labor is focused on a small function of the company. Average labor can vary widely by industry and scale of the operation
That's not the case at all. They can do much better if the company does well but they are contracted with enormous pay and benefit packages regardless of the results. They also get huge buyouts if they fail. If they were tied completely to performance there might be some justification but that's not the case. And it's not just CEOs who get tremendous compensation packages.

Reactions: Torg
A quick google search tells me Chipotle’s CEO earned $24 million in 2023. With 120,000 employees, he could work for $0 and give the rest of his employees roughly $185 per year if divided equally. That’d be a $.14/hr raise for somebody who works an average of 25 hours per week.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Look, the compensation for a CEO is determined the same way it is for any other job. Supply and demand.
Bullshit. Bar CEO's from sitting on the boards of other companies. See how far you get with that.
CEO pay is often tied heavily to the performance of the company on Wall Street, at least in public companies while average labor is focused on a small function of the company. Average labor can vary widely by industry and scale of the operation
So companies today are doing 1000% better than in 1984? And if they are, why hasn't employee compensation risen by any number remotely approaching that? There was a time when a rise in worker productivity lifted all boats...was that wrong?

Reactions: Torg and BelemNole
Bullshit. Bar CEO's from sitting on the boards of other companies. See how far you get with that.

So companies today are doing 1000% better than in 1984? And if they are, why hasn't employee compensation risen by any number remotely approaching that? There was a time when a rise in worker productivity lifted all boats...was that wrong?
I’m not saying CEO compensation or employee wages is where it needs to be. I’m saying there isn’t a 1 size fits all comp multiplier and comparing average labor to a CEO is not productive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT