ADVERTISEMENT

Changes to NIT tournament

EagleHawk

HR All-American
Jan 16, 2002
NCAA continues to prove that they are incompetent boobs. Top 2 teams from P6 conferences that don’t make the dance are in and get to host games. Mid-major winners not automatically in, Feels like one step closer to 96 team tournament.

The NIT Board of Managers has announced changes for the 2024 National Invitation Tournament that impact how teams qualify.

For the 2024 NIT, conference regular-season champions that do not win their conference tournament or are not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship will not receive an automatic bid to the NIT.

Instead, the NIT will guarantee two teams (based on the NET rankings) from each of six conferences (Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern). The top two teams in the NET rankings not qualifying for the NCAA men's basketball tournament from each conference, regardless of win-loss record, will be selected. Additionally, the 12 teams automatically selected will be guaranteed the opportunity to host a game in the first round of the NIT.

Once the 12 automatic qualifying schools have been selected, the NIT Committee will select the 20 best teams available to complete the tournament's 32-team field. Based on the NIT Committee's evaluation, the best four teams of the 20 at-large teams selected will complete the 16 first-round hosts, with deference given to the "first four teams out" of the Division I Men's Basketball Championship, as determined by the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Committee. Additional teams from the six conferences with automatic qualifications are eligible to be selected as at-large teams and can be selected as hosts.

The NIT for P5 programs is like a bowl game. You either are disappointed to be there, or you embrace it as a stepping stone to something better.

The NIT to mid-majors is ONLY opportunity.

And the NCAA, once again, in their greedy, money-driven wisdom, decides to take away those opportunities.............

Reactions: EagleHawk
the NIT should only be for small/mid major conferences, most fans of schools in big conferences would rather NOT see their team in the NIT because it means they had a garbage season

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT