ADVERTISEMENT

Chat with Fran

Suterman

HR Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Had a chance to talk to Fran McCaffery for a half hour Wednesday on KCJJ with Pat Harty from All Hawkeyes. Here are some of the nuggets from Wednesday.
1) They are still seriously considering redshirting Patrick so he can get bigger and stronger.
2) CJ Fredrick is all that. He is a pretty complete ball player. We're gonna love him.
3) Jack Nunge is about 255, shooting lights out, and is a completely different player than what we last saw.
4) Joe Toussaint is what we have been missing. A lightning quick, slashing point guard.
5) Has one more interview this week with a potential assistant. Very likely will have the hire wrapped up next week.
6) Is afraid that we may be heading towards free agency in college basketball and is not supportive.
7) Thinks the AAU system is still overall a good one even though there are some bad apples. He will not watch any AAU teams that he knows are paying players.
8) Asked if having his kids on the team affected recruiting. He said probably, in that he knows of several coaches that use that and say he's going to play his own kids more than he should. Fran says it's up to him to allot the minutes fairly and give all of the players the minutes they have earned.

Thanks for the summary Suter.

I searched on the KCJJ website but couldn’t find the interview. I’d be interested in listening to the interview if the podcast exists and you don’t mind sharing a link.

Reactions: Y2KG21
Thanks for the summary Suter.

I searched on the KCJJ website but couldn’t find the interview. I’d be interested in listening to the interview if the podcast exists and you don’t mind sharing a link.

Pat Harty posted it on Twitter. Go to Pat Harty on Twitter and you can find it there.

Reactions: skydog0784
Thanks for sharing Suter! I got to listen to part of the podcast, but stuff got in the way. You know, the work thing. Work is just so darn distracting!!!

Did you get a chance to talk off the air? I was curious about the target weight for Patrick. That is a good idea. I am sure they know where he should be, at a minimum. And like coach said, he will get pushed around if he does not get his poundage up.... Did Fran mention a target weight?

CJ and Nunge will be completely different players. Both in experience, refined game, muscle, confidence and cohesiveness in playing with the rest of the roster in practice. An extra year was a good move for both. Extremely excited to see these two. I think they will create some very good spacing when on the floor.

Pemsl we already got a glimpse of during the game against the Cyclowns. He will be a player with a style of game that no one on the team had last year. He will mix things up, for certain. Love that guy.

Joe T has the opportunity to add something to this team we did not have last year. Nor had for several years. Especially excited to see him, as well as the others hit the court!

I am very much looking forward to seeing all the new, and redefined, players. Did coach happen to mention us getting to see the guys play before November? A shirt / skins game in early September maybe?? Coach Francis called me last year and said they like the fans enthusiasm. However, they did not get a chance to showcase the Hawks before the season....

PTL was what it was. Same with the shirts vs skins games. But man did it give us diehards a basketball fix!! More please....

Thanks for sharing Suter! I got to listen to part of the podcast, but stuff got in the way. You know, the work thing. Work is just so darn distracting!!!

Did you get a chance to talk off the air? I was curious about the target weight for Patrick. That is a good idea. I am sure they know where he should be, at a minimum. And like coach said, he will get pushed around if he does not get his poundage up.... Did Fran mention a target weight?

CJ and Nunge will be completely different players. Both in experience, refined game, muscle, confidence and cohesiveness in playing with the rest of the roster in practice. An extra year was a good move for both. Extremely excited to see these two. I think they will create some very good spacing when on the floor.

Pemsl we already got a glimpse of during the game against the Cyclowns. He will be a player with a style of game that no one on the team had last year. He will mix things up, for certain. Love that guy.

Joe T has the opportunity to add something to this team we did not have last year. Nor had for several years. Especially excited to see him, as well as the others hit the court!

I am very much looking forward to seeing all the new, and redefined, players. Did coach happen to mention us getting to see the guys play before November? A shirt / skins game in early September maybe?? Coach Francis called me last year and said they like the fans enthusiasm. However, they did not get a chance to showcase the Hawks before the season....

PTL was what it was. Same with the shirts vs skins games. But man did it give us diehards a basketball fix!! More please....

He didn't mention a target weight per se, just that Pat needed to get bigger and stronger. It's pretty clear from the cancer that Patrick will always have more trouble gaining weight than you or I. In a perfect world I believe Fran would like to redshirt Patrick but the reality is there will be minutes available at the 3 and Patrick is the most logical choice for Joe W. back up. It will be interesting to see what they do.

Fran did not say anything about a public showcase for the team prior to the season. I too would love to see them. I am actually more interested in the basketball season than I am about football. I imagine that will change as we get closer to football season.

Had a chance to talk to Fran McCaffery for a half hour Wednesday on KCJJ with Pat Harty from All Hawkeyes. Here are some of the nuggets from Wednesday.
1) They are still seriously considering redshirting Patrick so he can get bigger and stronger.
2) CJ Fredrick is all that. He is a pretty complete ball player. We're gonna love him.
3) Jack Nunge is about 255, shooting lights out, and is a completely different player than what we last saw.
4) Joe Toussaint is what we have been missing. A lightning quick, slashing point guard.
5) Has one more interview this week with a potential assistant. Very likely will have the hire wrapped up next week.
6) Is afraid that we may be heading towards free agency in college basketball and is not supportive.
7) Thinks the AAU system is still overall a good one even though there are some bad apples. He will not watch any AAU teams that he knows are paying players.
8) Asked if having his kids on the team affected recruiting. He said probably, in that he knows of several coaches that use that and say he's going to play his own kids more than he should. Fran says it's up to him to allot the minutes fairly and give all of the players the minutes they have earned.

Thanks Suterman - really very happy with all those points. :)

I like redshirting PM. Makes sense, even if the Hawks could use him for some minutes. Let the young man get prepared to make an impact.

Nunge at 255? That's awesome - no more playing the 3 on defense, I hope. If he can shoot AND bang inside - that's a big, big win. Hoping for a big step forward from Jack.

CJ is going to be a player - YES! Now, I'm not expecting him to be all B1G freshman team (if he's even eligible) like Joe, but if he could contribute close to Joe next year - another big win! Yes, I know Oglesby was supposed to be great too. Fran likes to get enthusiastic about his guys.

This is all very good news!

So it appears that Wieskamp could be a 40 minute player, assume!

They're hoping Patrick can get to 195lbs. by this fall. That's been the target weight they want him at to play or he may redshirt

So it appears that Wieskamp could be a 40 minute player, assume!

That would work for me!! He is probably the most conditioned player on the team. Have our newest scholarship player 6'7" SF Riley Till give him a breather for a few minutes a game.

Why not Connor McCaffery at the 3 spot?

He has the size. He likes to take it to the basket. He obviously has decent handles... If the guy could ever get his outside shot to fall, which I think is just a matter of time, then he would be much more effective....no matter what position he played.
Joe T can get more minutes backing up JBo too. I kinda like those two thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: L. Wade Childress
All good news. I have been waiting for updates on Nunge and CJF. I just wish there was independent confirmation, since Fran isn't going to say anything negative at this point. As big as we are at 4 and 5, if those players can seal the defensive boards, we can play 3 guard lineups against most teams. Downside of PMac redshirting might be that it could add to a potentially big number of players in the same year, unless we get some transfers.

Fran has huge Balancing in front Act of him huh? We shall see.... Hawk Players waay tough.Fans luv wins!

They're hoping Patrick can get to 195lbs. by this fall. That's been the target weight they want him at to play or he may redshirt
I don't see the point in redshirting Patrick. I don't see him as a guy who needs weight to be effective. I don't think he is going to mix it up down low.

If he can shoot, handle the ball, and drive then he doesn't need weight for these. If a guy like bol bol can have a chance at the nba, then Pat will be fine

Just don’t disagree with him unless you want to be blown up on.
Ha ... This made me chuckle ... and unfortunately, there is truth behind your comment. I enjoy Pat and his work and his podcast ... but I hope some day he learns to not take things so personal - especially when it comes to Tweets and social media ... He lets it get under his skin way more than he should ...

Reactions: Suterman
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but has he decided to go with the guys he has with no additions from JC or the transfer exchange?

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but has he decided to go with the guys he has with no additions from JC or the transfer exchange?

Sounds like he's still looking at players but would be satisfied with the guys he has. Fran is picky about transfers, so I think it's highly likely we don't add anyone else for next season.

I will be surprised if Fran adds anybody else for this upcoming season. You don't want to bring someone in if they aren't better than what you already have. Fran has 10 solid pieces which should be plenty barring significant injuries. The transfers can see what Iowa has coming back and coming in and probably don't see a lot of playing time available.

The transfers can see what Iowa has coming back and coming in and probably don't see a lot of playing time available.

Yup, I am sure that is the reason we arent seeing a lot of interest from transfers.

How about a grad transfer 3 player that can back up Joe and get some time at the 2? Let Patrick redshirt, makes perfect sense. Love the update however, really good stuff about CF and JN. I think we surprise again this season.

How about a grad transfer 3 player that can back up Joe and get some time at the 2? Let Patrick redshirt, makes perfect sense. Love the update however, really good stuff about CF and JN. I think we surprise again this season.
Maybe. But if you are a grad transfer would you rather play behind Joe Wieskamp and play 10-15 minutes a game, or start and play 30-35 minutes at any number of power 6 teams? I don't think Iowa is very attractive this year for a grad transfer. A sit out a year transfer may be a different deal.

I don't like red-shirting. Too many players transfer, quit, declare or become free agents anyway. Red/shirting and we lose a year.

I don't like red-shirting. Too many players transfer, quit, declare or become free agents anyway. Red/shirting and we lose a year.

You think that's a risk with PMac?

Regardless, those outcomes you listed happen independent of redshirting. After all, there was a time when all freshmen were ineligible.

No, I'm afraid the era of college basketball free agency coincides with the pervasiveness of college coaches selling their souls for recruits and wins.

Worked well for Baer. I think it will work for CJ and Pemsl. I don't think it mattered for either Moss or Ellingson, they wouldn't have played much as freshmen and Moss had school issues. I think you have a valid point, but when you have a roster of over 10 players not everyone can play and it is a waste of a year if someone can develop down the line. The value of a 5th year senior is underappreciated.

Worked well for Baer. I think it will work for CJ and Pemsl. I don't think it mattered for either Moss or Ellingson, they wouldn't have played much as freshmen and Moss had school issues. I think you have a valid point, but when you have a roster of over 10 players not everyone can play and it is a waste of a year if someone can develop down the line. The value of a 5th year senior is underappreciated.

Don't forget Nunge!! I think he is going to be a badass. Just my humble opinion... Connor too, potentially, if he ever regains his shot.

Ellingson had a great senior Season. Shot like 42% from the 3. He probably would helped us last year, especially since he wouldn't be playing PG. Moss is TBD.

4th year juniors and 5th year seniors are definitely under appreciated. Although not by Fran.

EDIT: Brady shot 47% from 3pt land out of 175 shots this past season. That is pretty darn good.

Last edited:
Wieskamp should be on the floor every minute possible. He is the most complete player they've got, and second place isn't close.
I agree on his importance, but it is a long season and giving a player a few minutes each half to get their breath and maybe have a discussion with the coaches can be very beneficial. You don't want hm to sit too long, or he can lose the flow of the game, but being fresh at winning time is very important. I think 32-35 min would be great, and maybe a little less when the team is doing fine without him.

I agree on his importance, but it is a long season and giving a player a few minutes each half to get their breath and maybe have a discussion with the coaches can be very beneficial. You don't want hm to sit too long, or he can lose the flow of the game, but being fresh at winning time is very important. I think 32-35 min would be great, and maybe a little less when the team is doing fine without him.
You bring up important qualifiers.

He should be on the floor as much as possible when the game outcome is in question.
Absolutely he needs to rest when the game is out of hand.
If he stays healthy I expect his minutes per game average will be 35 or so.

Reactions: perryhawk

Fran's offseason hyperbole in full effect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT