ADVERTISEMENT

China Warns US of "Forceful Measures" if Nancy Pelosi Visits Taiwan

Making it a long term goal isn't a bad thing....won't happen for a long time regardless.

At the very least lessoning our reliance on China should be a goal everybody agrees with.
That wasn't my point - it's that doing so will result in inflation far beyond what we are seeing now. Not to mention the impact on profits, the practicality of doing so and all the other issues.

Looks like Riley wants to keep the slave factories open and ship job over seas.
WTF? I'm simply saying that doing this will result in big inflation. It's a very simplistic thought that most don't think through. Apparently you're one of those.

WTF? I'm simply saying that doing this will result in big inflation. It's a very simplistic thought that most don't think through. Apparently you're one of those.
No I definitely have thought about it and the costs associated lol. I have been on record saying we should bring a lot of those jobs back to the Western Hemisphere. Work with below the border if we want cheaper labor. As bins said, it should be a long term goal which is why Biden and company got the CHIPS act passed.

Hey Riley, what happens if China decides to stop shipping medicines to the US? You post your thoughts but have very little futuristic considerations in them. The US needs to start getting production of medicines, chips, materials, etc.... back to the US. At least enough to survive should China decide to retaliate at some period of time. It's been pretty obvious for the last 4 presidents. Someone needs the balls to start this process so that we are not reliant on those lying bastards.

So a long term goal of reducing reliance on Chinese products will result in inflation? I don't thinks so if done smartly.

Not advocating everything being made in America because it's impractical and would be inflationary.

Create incentives for businesses to source elsewhere.

Making it a long term goal isn't a bad thing....won't happen for a long time regardless.

At the very least lessoning our reliance on China should be a goal everybody agrees with.
No kidding. Also, in my previous post I stated as much production back to the USA as possible with an understanding manufacturing would still be imported, just to be doing that business with friendly countries with aligned goals. It's going to be a very long process but one that needs to be started now.

No kidding. Also, in my previous post I stated as much production back to the USA as possible with an understanding manufacturing would still be imported, just to be doing that business with friendly countries with aligned goals. It's going to be a very long process but one that needs to be started now.
Every populist (GOP) on this board was against the TPP. Seems like a pretty smart plan now.

No I definitely have thought about it and the costs associated lol. I have been on record saying we should bring a lot of those jobs back to the Western Hemisphere. Work with below the border if we want cheaper labor. As bins said, it should be a long term goal which is why Biden and company got the CHIPS act passed.

Started a new job a couple months ago and we are in the middle of moving tooling from China to Juarez, Mexico. We have had good luck with production in Juarez in the past. Our production costs will be less as will transportation costs and lead times. The situation in China is simply getting too unstable. We supply medical products so any disruption in service with clients would be back breakers.

Started a new job a couple months ago and we are in the middle of moving tooling from China to Juarez, Mexico. We have had good luck with production in Juarez in the past. Our production costs will be less as will transportation costs and lead times. The situation in China is simply getting too unstable. We supply medical products so any disruption in service with clients would be back breakers.
This exactly. Not to mention how this could help relations with Mexican and immigration.

Strategically.....

While the U.S. has maintained a degree of self-reliance on semiconductors for use in military technologies, many U.S. defense systems, including advanced fighter jets, radars, and missile-defense systems still rely on commercial chips sourced from Taiwan. Disruptions in Taiwanese manufacturing facilities during conflict with China could cause catastrophic bottlenecks in U.S. military-industrial capacity, severely weakening its national security and the combat effectiveness of its armed forces.

The consequences for the global civilian economy would dwarf military-technological considerations. There is a TSMC-made chip in every new Apple iPhone. In every modern automobile, there are anywhere from 1,000-3,500 semiconductors, many of which are produced in Taiwan. Similarly, the rollout of 5G and Internet of Things (IoT) infrastructure is heavily reliant on the availability of cutting-edge microprocessors which only a handful of firms, including TSMC, have the capacity to manufacture. These are just a few of many essential technologies and industries which would be dramatically impacted by disruptions to Taiwanese chip manufacturing.

Beyond the humanitarian and geopolitical upheaval that would follow a Chinese invasion of Taiwan, the economic devastation it would unleash is impossible to quantify. As U.S. and allied policy makers look for ways to shelter their economies from the fallout of this potential conflict, there is a need to cooperate on issues of strategic resiliency in supply chains in an increasingly uncertain international security environment.

I think allying and supporting Democracies worldwide has strategic importance....curbing China's power and influence has strategic importance. We abandon Taiwan and China takes it.... it sends a very bad signal to other democracies in the Region and they may look to appease the Chinese and distance themselves from the US.

None of which would be good good for the US strategically long term.

China isn't our friend....their our main adversary in the world and we should act accordingly.
Hopefully this sounds less screwed up than it really is. Like being dependent on Germany to supply components to manufacture the Norden bombsight. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: goldmom
Truthfully most Americans of ALL stripes were (blissfully?) unaware that the US had become so reliant on China for so many vital products, from antibiotics to chips to hundreds/thousands of things we buy everyday.
Look at the “Made In” sticker on the next non-food item you buy.
It’s become scary IMO. Then google pics of shuttered manufacturing facilities here in the USA.
There is a huge time of reckoning and I believe it’s now upon us. Our workers want good paying jobs - not unreasonable and wholly understandable - but they also want to buy goods at low prices which China has done since they have billions of folks who need to work at maybe a third of the cost.
Either we consume less stuff or we work with other developing nations not named China to establish manufacturing in those countries.
Interesting topic as to how our own culture may/should evolve over the next years to adapt.

I feel very encouraged by the pelosi visit particularly by the fact that it wasn't a hush hush affair and took place in full view and under the full gaze of the chinese. to me (i could certainly be very wrong) this is a signal that the uncoupling with china (that so many would like to see happen) has been underway for a lot longer than is widely recognized. at some point in the near future i think once it is apparent that we can afford to rip off the last few bandaids we will do so -- declare them a hostile entity and take along rest of the world.

Truthfully most Americans of ALL stripes were (blissfully?) unaware that the US had become so reliant on China for so many vital products, from antibiotics to chips to hundreds/thousands of things we buy everyday.
Look at the “Made In” sticker on the next non-food item you buy.
It’s become scary IMO. Then google pics of shuttered manufacturing facilities here in the USA.
There is a huge time of reckoning and I believe it’s now upon us. Our workers want good paying jobs - not unreasonable and wholly understandable - but they also want to buy goods at low prices which China has done since they have billions of folks who need to work at maybe a third of the cost.
Either we consume less stuff or we work with other developing nations not named China to establish manufacturing in those countries.
Interesting topic as to how our own culture may/should evolve over the next years to adapt.
BINGO. It is a time of reconning is exactly the reality right now. We are so far behind on addressing this. It's scary.

This exactly. Not to mention how this could help relations with Mexican and immigration.
Not sure if we have any Juarez, MX experts on HORT, but I have to admit the idea of going down there to validate tooling scares me a bit, given cartel activity. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I never had an issue in China, Hong Kong or Taiwan. I would like to come back with my head.

Reactions: Hammer93
Every populist (GOP) on this board was against the TPP. Seems like a pretty smart plan now.
I don't think it was just GOP...

Anyway, it does look good now.

Reactions: goldmom
Not sure if we have any Juarez, MX experts on HORT, but I have to admit the idea of going down there to validate tooling scares me a bit, given cartel activity. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I never had an issue in China, Hong Kong or Taiwan. I would like to come back with my head.
I would think that more jobs in certain areas of Mexico or and Latin American country would help against the cartel. There is a reason poor people join gangs or cartels and a lot of it has to do with poor economic conditions. Why not build up Mexico, Central American, and Southern American countries compare to shipping jobs over seas? A lot of that investment will go a long ways imo

Reactions: B1GDeal and goldmom
Props to the Biden admin for not caving. Wish they'd shown more strength much earlier to where China would have never been tempted to posture, but glad they went ahead with the trip.

As good a week as we could hope for for the Admin. Kill a terrorist, don't bow to China.

Reactions: littlez

I agree. We especially need to lessen our reliance on critical things like medications. Let China continue to make all the cheap crap that we can live without if needed (of course, some people like my wife would disagree that we can live without it).

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
So a long term goal of reducing reliance on Chinese products will result in inflation? I don't thinks so if done smartly.

Not advocating everything being made in America because it's impractical and would be inflationary.

This is one of the reason we're stepping up support of Taiwan so much. Many of our microchips are made there, and we want it to remain out of China's control.

Props to the Biden admin for not caving. Wish they'd shown more strength much earlier to where China would have never been tempted to posture, but glad they went ahead with the trip.

As good a week as we could hope for for the Admin. Kill a terrorist, don't bow to China.
LOL

Officially, the Biden administration has been careful to avoid directly answering questions about whether it agrees with Pelosi’s decision to make the trip

But unofficially, the White House and the Pentagon have made little secret of their opposition to such a visit, which comes at a time when U.S.-China relations are the poorest they’ve been in decades.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/02/whi...ns-china-policy-from-pelosis-taiwan-trip.html

I always chuckle at those posters pushing for getting all manufacturing out of China and back into the US as they are the same posters who complain about inflation now.
I say it all the time when politicians want manufacturing to come back to the USA: Americans love cheap sh!t…

Very long term and expensive. There are many who will shit their pants because things will cost a lot more. That's the point.

Hey Riley, what happens if China decides to stop shipping medicines to the US? You post your thoughts but have very little futuristic considerations in them. The US needs to start getting production of medicines, chips, materials, etc.... back to the US. At least enough to survive should China decide to retaliate at some period of time. It's been pretty obvious for the last 4 presidents. Someone needs the balls to start this process so that we are not reliant on those lying bastards.
There are alternatives that cost more. What are you not understanding?

Trump was so tough on China why didn't he start bringing things back? Oh that's right, he's a big pile of shit. As @RileyHawk said, you don't start just opening up manufacturing plants in the states. We've done this to ourselves. Hell, it started in the 80's and the Wal Mart mentality. Bring in cheap shit from China and they took over small town America. Does anyone realize the start up costs to actually manufacture a product here? Most of the companies I represent assemble here in the state but very few actually do true manufacturing.

If that were the case they would be moving now. I'm not saying it's not a worthy goal, just that it will be costly and many will lose their minds over that.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I am talking in the USA. Immigration will need to be reformed and I don’t see that happening anytime soon.
Key phrase, “anytime soon”. As mentioned in a couple of posts that this will be a long process. We can use this to help reform our immigration issues imo.

Reactions: Hammer93
Key phrase, “anytime soon”. As mentioned in a couple of posts that this will be a long process. We can use this to help reform our immigration issues imo.
I would think so but I am not as positive about it actually getting done.

I would think so but I am not as positive about it actually getting done.
I mean there is a populist movement going on since at least trump to bring business back to America. Covid showed why we need to do this as well and kept that populist movement chugging along. The administration just passed the CHIPs bill for this very reason. It’s slow moving but there is process being made

Reactions: globalhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT