ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Doyle dropped from Racial Discrimination Lawsuit

Ok, I'll bite...... When I went through Navy boot camp 30 percent of my company was black. Some of them are good friends of mine still today. At some point, we all had to jump in a pool and swim or at least for some, doggie paddle. Out of the 30 or so black sailors, 3 could swim. 3. To this day, we all, the black guys included, say that black men can't swim. Take it for what it's worth........

I get it, but the connotation, especially in a position of authority towards a young man your charged with mentoring is not good!

i’ve heard many people say Kirk blackballed him.
Its also been said many time that w Kirk/Iowas history, NFL knows Iowa players are better than equivalent from other places.

If “ you don’t have anything nice, don’t say a thing” - let’s say Kirk does NOT go out of his way to voucher for a player, but only uses influence for his hardest workers.
Is that blackballing to not Lie on a former players behalf? (A number of former players statements have already been retracted due to questionable validity.)

Its also been said many time that w Kirk/Iowas history, NFL knows Iowa players are better than equivalent from other places.

If “ you don’t have anything nice, don’t say a thing” - let’s say Kirk does NOT go out of his way to voucher for a player, but only uses influence for his hardest workers.
Is that blackballing to not Lie on a former players behalf? (A number of former players statements have already been retracted due to questionable validity.)
Good distinction and valid point.

I see a lot of posters are “celebrating” this development. It seems far from absolution IMO. If anything, it just delays the process. Realistically, this thing is going to settle, and those that had their mind made up that Kirk and staff are a bunch of scumbags will feel vindicated. The only one that seems to have got a reprieve is Wallace. He’s probably no longer untouchable.

I get it, but the connotation, especially in a position of authority towards a young man your charged with mentoring is not good!
Sorry. They are not charged with mentoring anyone. They are charged with turning them into better football players and winning games. Mentoring is something that may or may not happen depending on who their coach is.

The standard for being at fault in a civil case is far lower than the standard for guilt in a criminal one though.
You can buy yourself out of guilt in a civil trial. Likely whats going on here. The whole "lets bring so-and-so back" stuff is crazy. Can still be guilty as sin.

I see a lot of posters are “celebrating” this development. It seems far from absolution IMO. If anything, it just delays the process. Realistically, this thing is going to settle, and those that had their mind made up that Kirk and staff are a bunch of scumbags will feel vindicated. The only one that seems to have got a reprieve is Wallace. He’s probably no longer untouchable.
There was a settlement related to rhabdo incident and they got basically nothing in the end.

You can buy yourself out of guilt in a civil trial. Likely whats going on here. The whole "lets bring so-and-so back" stuff is crazy. Can still be guilty as sin.
Or, many of the allegations by the plaintiffs never had merit in the first place considering how many of them were altered or even outright recanted once they were deposed.

And I didn't say Doyle should come back, but it's clear that this lawsuit has been a grift from the beginning.

Sorry. They are not charged with mentoring anyone. They are charged with turning them into better football players and winning games. Mentoring is something that may or may not happen depending on who their coach is.

Hmmmm, most coaches mention mentoring these players into men as part of their responsibilities!

It does not matter, but it would absolutely confound a defamation lawsuit should he bring one.

When it comes to Chris:

* What's his next move? A lawsuit? Suing who? I don't think he can sue the UI because I think he took the money with many conditions, including not suing the UI

* Will anyone hire him again, now that the charges have been dropped? Or is he forever canceled?

i don't believe it's a crime OR discrimination to speak honestly

But now adays? Who knows....

Reactions: NI hawk
Or, many of the allegations by the plaintiffs never had merit in the first place considering how many of them were altered or even outright recanted once they were deposed.

And I didn't say Doyle should come back, but it's clear that this lawsuit has been a grift from the beginning.
Absolutely possible. We dont know. That's the point. From this, we cant conclude that it was all BS or that there will be settlements made/legal mavuvering to get more from the university.

When it comes to Chris:

* What's his next move? A lawsuit? Suing who? I don't think he can sue the UI because I think he took the money with many conditions, including not suing the UI

* Will anyone hire him again, now that the charges have been dropped? Or is he forever canceled?
Better question, why are we still talking about this, and who the hell cares.

Reactions: chuck285
Interesting assumption to make. But I have eyes and ears to witness it, or hear stories from friends, family and co-workers.
I doubt it's as bad as you would like us to believe.

Otherwise, our borders wouldn't be flooding with minority immigrants looking to improve their lives.

If anything, the majority of this nation, in particular it's largest cities, corporations and universities, have gone out of their way to atone for the sins of slavery by providing the minority population with unprecedented opportunity to flourish. Many times at the expense of more qualified individuals. Only those who don't want to put in the effort or who choose to believe the race hustlers (including those elected officials who use it to stay in office) continue to blame their circumstances on racism.

Not saying there aren't a few among us who practice overt racism, but you'll never completely eradicate it...just like you'll never completely eradicate evil in the greater sense.

I think people are mistaken by correlating these guys being dropped from the lawsuit and being innocent. This is civil case.
True.

It's also true the burden of proof is usually tougher in a criminal case. Look at the OJ case...not-guilty in criminal court but no problem getting a $33M civil finding against him.

So while "innocent" may not be the right term, if they couldn't move it forward in civil court, it was clearly the trumped up, pile of B.S. many of us thought it was...designed to leverage the political landscape of the time into $$$ for a bunch of ingrates who couldn't find success on their own.

Reactions: chuck285
Bit the bullet? How? Clearly the lawsuit was absolute bullshit. Obviously they were just hoping for some kind of settlement. When it became clear that no settlement was coming they dropped it. It won't happen but there should be countersuits galore.
He was the fall guy for KF - IMHO KF hoped that parting ways with Doyle would suffice and quiet the "victims", thus saving his son and any other coaches. Now all charges are dropped, I truly would like to see those that were impacted by this (Doyle mainly) offered a position, Doyle did more for KF's teams than BF ever has.

True.

It's also true the burden of proof is usually tougher in a criminal case. Look at the OJ case...not-guilty in criminal court but no problem getting a $33M civil finding against him.

So while "innocent" may not be the right term, if they couldn't move it forward in civil court, it was clearly the trumped up, pile of B.S. many of us thought it was...designed to leverage the political landscape of the time into $$$ for a bunch of ingrates who couldn't find success on their own.
Quite possible. Two other reasons could be was a settlement was reached and/or it would be more effective to go after the UI and BoR without other individuals attached. The fact that one coach was released with prejudice and the other without might be a clue.

Otherwise, our borders wouldn't be flooding with minority immigrants looking to improve their lives.

If anything, the majority of this nation, in particular it's largest cities, corporations and universities, have gone out of their way to atone for the sins of slavery by providing the minority population with unprecedented opportunity to flourish. Many times at the expense of more qualified individuals. Only those who don't want to put in the effort or who choose to believe the race hustlers (including those elected officials who use it to stay in office) continue to blame their circumstances on racism.

Not saying there aren't a few among us who practice overt racism, but you'll never completely eradicate it...just like you'll never completely eradicate evil in the greater sense.
There it is. The “pull yourself up by your bootstraps” argument.

Quite possible. Two other reasons could be was a settlement was reached and/or it would be more effective to go after the UI and BoR without other individuals attached. The fact that one coach was released with prejudice and the other without might be a clue.
I'm sure the lawyers are tired of working for free and not seeing a payoff. They'll probably go for the deepest pockets (and most likely to fold) in the University for some $$ settlement.

Spot on.

There is more equality of opportunity now for AAs then at any point in history. There are zero reputable employers, schools, churches, clubs, organizations that would not let an AA in based solely on skin color. In fact, these same employers and organizations are actively seeking AA individuals to enhance their “diversity “ and are promoting them at a rapid pace to achieve it.

We have achieved as close to Equality of opportunity as we will see. Even those from improverished backgrounds have chances they have never had before due to the programs put in place .

Equality of outcome, that is a different story. That is when you get to the “content of character“ that MLK Jr. was talking about. That is individual by individual. The real racists are the ones demanding equality of outcome at the expense of individuals who are of high character.

you obviously don't know what's going on here
None of us know exactly. But it sure isnt dismissal of guilt. There were 2 investigations both internally and externally that showed there was racial bias. IFB changed the way they handled things for obvious reasons. Most are saying that BF and KF wanted to fight in the lawsuit and the UofI wanted to settle. They have face to save and the money to do so. My guess is the U of I will settle now that the coaches are off the suit and no individual personalities are involved. But like you and me, we dont know whats going on here.

Reactions: blhawk
I agree, but a civil suit can also be filed and carry on for some time with zero/little supporting evidence of wrongdoing.
It goes both ways.

Seeing a lot of conflation between the lawsuit and the Husch Blackwell investigation. Sorry to rain on the parade but I have to reiterate: they are two separate things.

The investigation found enough evidence of misconduct to merit the actions the University of Iowa took, which included Doyle getting $1.1 million on his way out the door. None of that is in dispute.

The lawsuit was filed after the completion of the investigation, and is a question of whether the plaintiffs are owed damages from the Iowa BOR, University of Iowa, and Barta, Doyle, etc.

All that has happened with the individuals being dropped is that the plaintiffs aren't seeking damages from those guys personally at this time. It isn't a settlement of the suit and it's certainly not a referendum on the findings of the investigation — especially since the UI's arguments include statute of limitations, which is a perfectly legal and valid argument but has nothing to do with the truth of the underlying accusations.

TLDR: the lawsuit isn't the 2020 investigation.

Reactions: blhawk
At some point the economics dictate what you do. I see this all the time with phony workers compensation claims and settlements. Drives me crazy as it just encourages such claims in the future.
Most companies are insured for HR litigation and settlements can be the easier course. It depends if the plaintiff's lawyer has managed expectations. In the end the lawyer is going to probably get 40%.

Reactions: pistachio1999
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT