ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Doyle dropped from Racial Discrimination Lawsuit

Most companies are insured for HR litigation and settlements can be the easier course. It depends if the plaintiff's lawyer has managed expectations. In the end the lawyer is going to probably get 40%.
Easier and ultimately cheaper. Heck, each body part has a price on it. Comes down to basic math what you should do. You know what you are dealing with in the state you are in.

Seeing a lot of conflation between the lawsuit and the Husch Blackwell investigation. Sorry to rain on the parade but I have to reiterate: they are two separate things.

The investigation found enough evidence of misconduct to merit the actions the University of Iowa took, which included Doyle getting $1.1 million on his way out the door. None of that is in dispute.

The lawsuit was filed after the completion of the investigation, and is a question of whether the plaintiffs are owed damages from the Iowa BOR, University of Iowa, and Barta, Doyle, etc.

All that has happened with the individuals being dropped is that the plaintiffs aren't seeking damages from those guys personally at this time. It isn't a settlement of the suit and it's certainly not a referendum on the findings of the investigation — especially since the UI's arguments include statute of limitations, which is a perfectly legal and valid argument but has nothing to do with the truth of the underlying accusations.

TLDR: the lawsuit isn't the 2020 investigation.
Seems to me that its dealing with the same matter. Didnt the Ferentz family want to fight it and the U of I want to settle? Wouldn't that lead one to believe that the plaintiff sees the path of least resistance to drop the coaches and then let the U of I settle?

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Seems to me that its dealing with the same matter. Didnt the Ferentz family want to fight it and the U of I want to settle? Wouldn't that lead one to believe that the plaintiff sees the path of least resistance to drop the coaches and then let the U of I settle?
Same matter for sure, but the outcome of the lawsuit — whatever it ends up being — doesn't change the fact that the investigation was settled and agreed to by all involved parties, including the university, in 2020. That's all.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
With that said, I don’t believe there is ever a reasonable reason at this point in time in our society to suggest that “Black people don’t swim” is ever appropriate in any setting in the public’s eye…. Which purportedly Doyle did.

I think Brian Ferentz’ greatest crime is the fact that he is an unaware dickhead!

As he likely would be, with the upbringing he has had!
Is is the same standard for a coach joking that white people can’t jump or aren’t as fast?

Reactions: mtown66
i’ve heard many people say Kirk blackballed him.
Its also been said many time that w Kirk/Iowas history, NFL knows Iowa players are better than equivalent from other places.

If “ you don’t have anything nice, don’t say a thing” - let’s say Kirk does NOT go out of his way to voucher for a player, but only uses influence for his hardest workers.
Is that blackballing to not Lie on a former players behalf? (A number of former players statements have already been retracted due to questionable validity.)
Believe 90% of what you see personally, 50% of what you read and 5% of what you hear.

Reactions: cmhawks99
What?

Doyle is rightfully gone but there was nothing he was even alleged to have done that was straight up illegal.
It could be considered harassment, but to me its like crap that went on back in the 1970s and early 80s with high school coaching also. You all know what I mean if you are of that age. Shit went on.

this is further proof doyle was fired without cause , or dismissed, or whatever. paying these clowns off , settling, for them to go away, is further proof there was no racism and it's worth it to pay them to go away and quit saying things that are not true.

• Haha
Reactions: blhawk
The Rhabdomyolysis deal? That was AT LEAST severe coaching malpractice. Overtraining the hell out of players.
I would be curious to see what actual statute/law you would apply to this situation. I am not aware of any actual laws that reference "severe coaching malpractice". Are you?

I would be curious to see what actual statute/law you would apply to this situation. I am not aware of any actual laws that reference "severe coaching malpractice". Are you?
I would need to be a lawyer to answer that.
What I DO know is that situation was serious, avoidable, and not something you should see in any training program. He needed to be sent away then.

• Haha
Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT