ADVERTISEMENT

City High / Fairfield Basketball Game Drama

Can someone differentiate between a “racist word” and a “racially charged comment” for me? I would assume if the n-word was said the principal would have stated thus.
its pretty much the same thing but news sources are too soft to say racist

Also, since the game was called, is City taking the L in stride or are they seeking a no contest?
I may be wrong but both sides would have to agree for it to be a no contest. No way is the team that was attacked by a player thus ending the game going to agree to that. Pretty obvious City is just going to take the L, or at least they should. If they want to finish, they'd have to travel to Fairfield and have like 2 minutes to make up 17 points.

Reactions: Theyset.theStage
This is a fun thread, we have people throwing out the N word with 100's in attendance ignoring it apparently, coaches and fans getting kicked out some saying it had to be something said to them. Couldn't have been their fault though.
And finally a kid starting a fight that also had to be provoked. Pretty good stuff. Looking forward to pages 5 through ten. Continue on please.

speculate-parks.gif
I think a lot of people have a healthy amount of skepticism. Which is fair. At some point you actually have to produce evidence.

The Duke BYU volleyball game produced no evidence.
The same with the other local Iowa HS game in which there was a ref accused of dropping the N bomb or the like.
The Rockies game where people were convinced someone shouted out the N word. (ended up being something else)
Bunch of questionable allegations pertaining to IA football.

I'm sure I could drudge up more stuff.

No coincidence this all started as race and identity topics went haywire -- along with almost any social & political topic -- on social media. You had the "racial reckoning" and a more than a few people went a bit nuts. Gives a nice opening for bad actors to exploit these situations, too. A good time to keep your critical thinking cap on.

I may be wrong but both sides would have to agree for it to be a no contest. No way is the team that was attacked by a player thus ending the game going to agree to that. Pretty obvious City is just going to take the L, or at least they should. If they want to finish, they'd have to travel to Fairfield and have like 2 minutes to make up 17 points.
I think I read City forfeited. It was not mutual

Dunno, would hope not, but it seems the more rural and small district you get the more likely you'd be to hear stuff like that. On top of that... the level of assholery in America at the moment seems rather high.

Why does it "seem" that way to you? Have you personally heard or witnessed this...anywhere...even once? Or are you being led by others that are always trying to foment division and/or get you to click on their site so as to get ad bucks in their pocket?

Over my lifetime I have been to hundreds of grade school, middle school and HS level sporting events all over eastern Iowa and I have never heard such a thing once in my life. If such a thing was said publicly I am confident that multiple people within earshot would react to it and shut it down/report it, etc. Where are those people? How come no one else actually hears these things when they are "reported"?

If something like this really did occur, then absolutely bust the perpetrator(s). But these "journalism stories" that allege an unspecified offense and then rely on people's emotions and biases to drive "clicks" are utter garbage. Don't be a rube fall for them.

Why does it "seem" that way to you? Have you personally heard or witnessed this...anywhere...even once? Or are you being led by others that are always trying to foment division and/or get you to click on their site so as to get ad bucks in their pocket?

Over my lifetime I have been to hundreds of grade school, middle school and HS level sporting events all over eastern Iowa and I have never heard such a thing once in my life. If such a thing was said publicly I am confident that multiple people within earshot would react to it and shut it down/report it, etc. Where are those people? How come no one else actually hears these things when they are "reported"?

If something like this really did occur, then absolutely bust the perpetrator(s). But these "journalism stories" that allege an unspecified offense and then rely on people's emotions and biases to drive "clicks" are utter garbage. Don't be a rube fall for them.
Because rural/small town folk generally aren't as exposed to other cultures as people living in a larger city. They're also more likely to be less interested and or curious about differences in culture and person. That in and of itself doesn't make them "bad" people, they're just more prone to developing racist positions, I'd think.

All that said, even if they aren't as likely to be culturally aware, that doesn't mean they haven't progressed quite a bit, just like everyone else, since the 60s. I'm not saying they're all a bunch of racist rednecks.

It may very well be that it's very rare for anyone in these communities to actually shout something racist at a HS sporting event.

I was just stating that between the rumors of a ref saying something, or player or crowd member from Fairfield saying something, the latter seemed more plausible.

Because rural/small town folk generally aren't as exposed to other cultures as people living in a larger city. They're also more likely to be less interested and or curious about differences in culture and person. That in and of itself doesn't make them "bad" people, they're just more prone to developing racist positions, I'd think.

Are you more prone to stereotyping?

Oh Torbee... Don't you have a job to hop along to?
Have had a full-time job and side writing gigs every day of my life since 1993.

Can you try to come up with some clever or accurate personal insults? That one isn't sticking.

I'm kind of fat, try that avenue. I can also be a little self-centered, so try that maybe. It's no fun when your insults are impotent, the way you are when trying and failing to service your poor downtrodden wife.

Last edited:
Are you more prone to stereotyping?

Simply speaking to how I think people are.

I contrasted two sets of people. People in large urban centers and people in small towns, basically. For a variety of reasons -- I focused on psychological considerations mainly -- and said that the smaller town people would be more likely to hold racist views.

You could also add education and age to that consideration. (smaller towns skewing older and less educated)

Reactions: ThorneStockton

I used to think the same thing, then my nephew was called the n word last year at this very same school that is being talked about in this thread at a wrestling meet. It was said in passing and was the first time my nephew had ever been called that. When my soft-spoken nephew reported it to his coach after the fact, the coach’s response was very similar to everyone on here, asking about witnesses and saying nothing can be done about it because nobody else heard it.

• Sad
Reactions: beanerhawk and Ree4
Oh bullsh**. There are plenty of other teams in the state that have diverse populations and teams and to say this is "pretty regular" when IC teams venture outside the city is pure garbage. I've spent 20 years attending games across all sports in Eastern Iowa and these things are beyond rare. I will also say in 20+ years of coaching multiple sports at the youth level and attending games as mentioned, the biggest pain in the ass parent and coach groups were almost always the IC teams. There were exceptions but in general this has been the case. I have a lot of friends and there are a lot of good kids in the IC district, but there are more than a fair share of entitled Aholes as well. West Des Moines and Waukee tie for a close 2nd.
Don't shoot the messenger, just repeating what was said by a parent who was in attendance. Were you?

Reactions: SIXERS24
I used to think the same thing, then my nephew was called the n word last year at this very same school that is being talked about in this thread at a wrestling meet. It was said in passing and was the first time my nephew had ever been called that. When my soft-spoken nephew reported it to his coach after the fact, the coach’s response was very similar to everyone on here, asking about witnesses and saying nothing can be done about it because nobody else heard it.
Even if a tiny fraction of America is racist the way the person you referenced was, that's still 100,000s if not millions of persons. They're quite out-numbered and their views aren't socially acceptable, they know that, and that's why you get mutterings like the one you referenced and not people shouting at a sporting event. Per capita I'd expect more of them in small towns.

Reactions: Theyset.theStage
I think a lot of people have a healthy amount of skepticism. Which is fair. At some point you actually have to produce evidence.

The Duke BYU volleyball game produced no evidence.
The same with the other local Iowa HS game in which there was a ref accused of dropping the N bomb or the like.
The Rockies game where people were convinced someone shouted out the N word. (ended up being something else)
Bunch of questionable allegations pertaining to IA football.

I'm sure I could drudge up more stuff.

No coincidence this all started as race and identity topics went haywire -- along with almost any social & political topic -- on social media. You had the "racial reckoning" and a more than a few people went a bit nuts. Gives a nice opening for bad actors to exploit these situations, too. A good time to keep your critical thinking cap on.
"DIGGER!" was from the Rockies game......

Of course IC administrators jump all over it and proclaim their 'zero tolerance' stance on racial injustices because it looks good. It's all race baiting. So glad we got out of IC.....

All that said, even if they aren't as likely to be culturally aware, that doesn't mean they haven't progressed quite a bit, just like everyone else, since the 60s. I'm not saying they're all a bunch of racist rednecks.

It may very well be that it's very rare for anyone in these communities to actually shout something racist at a HS sporting event.

I was just stating that between the rumors of a ref saying something, or player or crowd member from Fairfield saying something, the latter seemed more plausible.
Good answer, thank you. I do tend to take exception when people appear to assume that all country folks are backwards hicks, racists, etc. I see that is not where you going now, I appreciate it. I will say again that if there was virtually any openly racist things being shouted in sports events, etc, then others are very likely to hear that too and I don't think there would be much tolerance of that.

If you are going to claim that someone is a racist, and effectively City High has done so towards one or more of those unnamed refs, then you need to back it up, follow it up and get the offender dealt with through proper channels...not make a wild claim publicly and then go "radio silent" when questioned about it. This is a bad look on City High at this time IMO. Their kid shoves the Fairfield kid and then appears to be ready to strike him while on the ground before being restrained, then CHS forfeits and leaves...but then puts out a public "it wasn't us" memo. Yeah...not cool.

If I was one of those refs and I hadn't said or done anything racist...I would be quite hot about the public brouhaha, even without my name being shared publicly in print, etc.

By a ref?

Otherwise, shame on the coach for not following up on it. I am certainly not saying that there are no racists anywhere in this state, there surely are. BUT...do I think a uniformed, adult referee is one of them...dumb enough to say something offensive to a coach during a game??? That's a quite a big leap IMO.

Coach was ejected and went to locker room, play resumed, first foul called, mayhem ensued.
I am confused. Bacon said the reason for calling the game was something the officials said to the coach or implied that was the reason. When did the coach get ejected? Was he on the bench when the City High kid went ballistic and started the fight with 2 minutes to go? Did both of these happen at the same time, ejection of the coach and thefight?

I am coming around to Bins' belief that Iowa City officials either need to come out with EXACTLY what they maintain happened and was said or to retract its statement.

I 100% agree you should not distribute a media release with a very serious allegation of misconduct and then refuse to provide ANY details.

I am coming around to Bins' belief that Iowa City officials either need to come out with EXACTLY what they maintain happened and was said or to retract its statement.

I 100% agree you should not distribute a media release with a very serious allegation of misconduct and then refuse to provide ANY details.

Great post Torbee!

Statement from Fairfield schools. A little more detailed than IC High.

Now this is going to get interesting.

The IC district is notorious for lack of transparency, but they have been called out to back up their statements or admit they were false by another school district.

Gonna pop my popcorn!

And I don't get why Fairfield is getting dumped on for this. Yeah, everyone wants to point to MAGA or whatever because it's SE Iowa but from what I gather, it was a referee who allegedly made the comment. The referees were assigned by an IC organization so it's not like they were Fairfield residents. I'm sure the kid that got shoved said something based on knowing him and seeing the video but that's no different than regular trash talking that happens in every game.

They should teach City how to write up a public announcement. That was done much better.
Eh, the Fairfield one was too wordy and the copy/pasted drivel on "inclusion, safety and respect" felt clunky and insincere, but it was marginally better than the load of nothing but a vague accusation ICSD put out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT