ADVERTISEMENT

City High / Fairfield Basketball Game Drama

Lampe is a driven kid. He and #14 rolled around on the floor for a loose ball, and the belief from the City parents is #14 struck Lampe in the face on purpose during this play. Seems like two hard nosed, effort kids. Lampe's 5th foul was committed on #14, and he immediately said something to the effect of, "I got you (So, acknowledged he fouled him), nice game". The Fairfield player said, "F you, mother effer, you effing pussy". At which point the shove happened. Honestly I can live with that, and the one game suspension he would have gotten.
06f3b8df-ec15-4b70-ab41-b911cceb4b69_text.gif

Exactly!

How does he know the "guys" pronouns????!!!!!

He may prefer girl!

Or they!

Or queer!

Hopefully you'll humor me with this question: in non-message board life, day to day, do you know if people regard you as a funny person? I'm not saying like a professional comedian, but you know how some people are witty, have one liners, can make people laugh, are you ever described that way?

It's fairly frequent and apparent that you make attempts at humor on the board, but struggle with it. I can't help but be curious if this is just an unfunny person who is trying, or is this person generally regarded as a funny person, but it just doesn't land in this medium.

Thanks.

Hopefully you'll humor me with this question: in non-message board life, day to day, do you know if people regard you as a funny person? I'm not saying like a professional comedian, but you know how some people are witty, have one liners, can make people laugh, are you ever described that way?

It's fairly frequent and apparent that you make attempts at humor on the board, but struggle with it. I can't help but be curious if this is just an unfunny person who is trying, or is this person generally regarded as a funny person, but it just doesn't land in this medium.

Thanks.

Not trying to brag, but you asked a question. I'll be 100% honest.

I've been told my whole life that I'm the funniest person they've ever met.

5th grade religion teacher? Said the above.
Stranger in Chicago on a business trip? Said the above.
Misc people? Said the above.
College speech professor? Said I was the most charming person they've ever met.

I make people laugh at my office every day. Yet they still have high respect for me. Idk, I enjoy making people laugh I guess.

This off topic board is full of the most stuffy R's and D's I've ever "seen". Get angry over the most little things and talk about HATE HATE HATE. It's why I hardly come here anymore and stick to football and wrestling.

I'm not here to make friends. If you get a chuckle out of something I post, great. If you don't or get offended, whatever. Move on.

I make people laugh at my office every day. Yet they still have high respect for me. Idk, I enjoy making people laugh I guess.

This off topic board is full of the most stuffy R's and D's I've ever "seen". Get angry over the most little things and talk about HATE HATE HATE. It's why I hardly come here anymore and stick to football and wrestling.

I'm not here to make friends. If you get a chuckle out of something I post, great. If you don't or get offended, whatever. Move on.
I would love to meet you in person then, because your written satire is lame.

Thanks for answering. Must just be better in person than in writing. If you had to choose one or the other, live and in person would be the obvious choice in my opinion.

I would love to meet you in person then, because your written satire is lame.

LMAO, I don't give a ****.

I try to stay out of politics because it just leads to arguing on this board.

You are just like the others that get their panties in a wad.

Lighten up François.

Thanks for the writeup Lucas. Much as I predicted yesterday, it sounds like language used that could be construed as racist if not outright.

But beyond that, this is the thing that bothers me the most:

I was told the AD repeatedly apologized to the mom outside of the gym, and said she shouldn't have been ejected, but he had no choice.

What kind of mealy-mouthed, pussified AD lets contract refs tell him who or who not to kick out of HIS school's gym? Eff that Ess. Those refs need to be removed. That is ludicrous.
This is what happens regarding ejection of fans. Ref talks to AD and AD takes action.

Saw something similar last year regarding CCA student section at an away game. Refs heard something they didn't like and had 20 kids removed.

This is what happens regarding ejection of fans. Ref talks to AD and AD takes action.

Saw something similar last year regarding CCA student section at an away game. Refs heard something they didn't like and had 20 kids removed.
I am all for removing disruptive and abusive fans. I am also all for the refs being the ones to point them out and make the request. My sole point is they should not have full discretionary power on that issue or be able to overrule the actual administrators of the facility in which the contest is being played. I really don't think that is an unreasonable position.

I am all for removing disruptive and abusive fans. I am also all for the refs being the ones to point them out and make the request. My sole point is they should not have full discretionary power on that issue or be able to overrule the actual administrators of the facility in which the contest is being played. I really don't think that is an unreasonable position.
Especially when they're ignoring their own responsibilities to keep the game on the court in control - allegedly, I guess.

It's not so much unreasonable as it is unrealistic? If you look around the internet you'll see tons of vids of refs being attacked by fans. Refs having control of not only the game but also the crowds seems to be pretty proactive. JMO.

Reactions: hawkaholic
It's not so much unreasonable as it is unrealistic? If you look around the internet you'll see tons of vids of refs being attacked by fans. Refs having control of not only the game but also the crowds seems to be pretty proactive. JMO.
I officiated high school and college soccer matches for 20 years. Only once did I have to have the site administrator remove a fan. It's a tool you didn't want to use much but it was there. And needed to be to keep things in order and from escalating.

And I have no issues with refs heading up crowd control. In cooperation with school officials.

I officiated high school and college soccer matches for 20 years. Only once did I have to have the site administrator remove a fan. It's a tool you didn't want to use much but it was there. And needed to be to keep things in order and from escalating.
I saw it happen three different times with opposing fans at the JV level basketball. In jv football game the ref had to stop the game and warn a whole opposing crowd. I won’t mention the school, but nobody would be surprised. A letter was sent out and posted on parent groups the next day about sportsmanship by the school admin. Our AD attends every event he can and is present to help immediately with home and opposing fans.

I've probably only witnessed 5 or 6 fan elections in my 35 years being around high school events. Every single ejection was initiated by the refs.

Now in USSSA or AAU games, I have seen tourney directors do it.

I had a similar situation at a soccer match at City High. We are playing at a junior high field at the time. All the fans were standing near the sideline. I was standing next to a very verbal fan from our team who are the visitors. At halftime, The City High AD walks over toward us, and I’m thinking the parent next to me is going to get a good butt chewing. Little did I know, he was coming over to threaten to kick me out of the game. I said I was not the one dressing down the referee, and the comment made by the AD was well well if you do it again, you’re going to have to leave. I told him I hadn’t been doing anything and his statement to me was, well then you don’t have to worry about it do you. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I've played a lot of sports. I've helped coach a lot of sports. I've watched a lot of sports.

This sounds so stupid I find it hard to believe.

I would believe "suck on deez nuts" before "yeah boy!!".

LOL
Might need to get out a little more, if you don’t hear that in a lot of sports in today’s day and age.

So, once again, there may or may not have been an actual racist comment said

But we can clearly see from the video that the city high kid lost his mind and shoved and punched a player
QC thanks for having some common sense in this thread. For some of the morons posting here. Just to clear things up City High alleges an official made a racist remark to the coach. The officials were not from Fairfield, in fact they belong to the Iowa City Officials Association. They have denied making any racist statement and have been backed up by their officials association. Knowing two of those officials I can tell you it would be very out of character for them to do that. BTW if you watched the video it was a white kid from City High that knocked down a white kid from Fairfield. Race was not a factor in the cause of the skirmish. Also, the City High coach was not there at the time of the scuffle as he was ejected in the 3rd quarter and the fight occurred with a couple of minutes left in the game.

Reactions: Theyset.theStage
I also find it odd that the statement says they pulled the players off the floor for safety but the local paper states that the officials called the game off.
The officials didn't call off the game. After the skirmish the administrators decided the two teams should go to their locker rooms for 5 minutes to cool off. During this time the City High coaches decided it was best they forfeit the game. They were behind by 14 or so points with a couple of minutes left in the game so am assuming they thought it best not to continue.

QC thanks for having some common sense in this thread. For some of the morons posting here. Just to clear things up City High alleges an official made a racist remark to the coach. The officials were not from Fairfield, in fact they belong to the Iowa City Officials Association. They have denied making any racist statement and have been backed up by their officials association. Knowing two of those officials I can tell you it would be very out of character for them to do that. BTW if you watched the video it was a white kid from City High that knocked down a white kid from Fairfield. Race was not a factor in the cause of the skirmish. Also, the City High coach was not there at the time of the scuffle as he was ejected in the 3rd quarter and the fight occurred with a couple of minutes left in the game.
Everything that has come out about this indicates that the City High version proffered in their initial letter to the parents was quite faulty. This is a very bad look for CHS, made even worse that they have not cleared it up with any additional comment or explanation.

The one article does say that both the Iowa City High coach and an Iowa City High fan were ejected prior to the incident in the video.
The coach was ejected in the 3rd quarter. The fight was at the end of the game.

The c
I am confused. Bacon said the reason for calling the game was something the officials said to the coach or implied that was the reason. When did the coach get ejected? Was he on the bench when the City High kid went ballistic and started the fight with 2 minutes to go? Did both of these happen at the same time, ejection of the coach and thefight?
The coach was ejected in the 3rd quarter. They did not happen at the same time.

With the high definition recording of the games by both teams and by some parents it should be easy to determine in players were taunting the coach.
Where is the video for anything other than the ruckus?

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
And I have no issues with refs heading up crowd control. In cooperation with school officials.
So they going to pause the game for 15-20 minutes while the ref and school officials go have a meeting and decide if they should throw a person out of the gym/school? I don’t think so. The way it’s set up is fine.

Thanks for the writeup Lucas. Much as I predicted yesterday, it sounds like language used that could be construed as racist if not outright.

But beyond that, this is the thing that bothers me the most:

I was told the AD repeatedly apologized to the mom outside of the gym, and said she shouldn't have been ejected, but he had no choice.

What kind of mealy-mouthed, pussified AD lets contract refs tell him who or who not to kick out of HIS school's gym? Eff that Ess. Those refs need to be removed. That is ludicrous.
First of all you don't know if
Whether you like it or not that is the rule. One simple solution is for a school to not hire back an official they think abused this rule. Actually another solution would be for fans not to get to the point that an official would think about having them removed. You and many others posting here evidently are not aware of the critical shortage of officials. Why do you think there is a shortage? Talk to any HS AD and he will fill you in. As far as ejections I have officiated HS sports since '76 and have been a fan at many other games and have only witnessed two fans being ejected. It's not like this is happening at an alarming rate.

As far as ejections I have officiated HS sports since '76 and have been a fan at many other games and have only witnessed two fans being ejected. It's not like this is happening at an alarming rate.
Which is why it should be enforced by the school administration, IMO. Let the refs concentrate on the game and let the admins enforce crowd control. I think the notion of an AD siding with an unruly parent - which a couple posters have brought up - is a huge stretch. These are professional educators, not mouthy fans.

Which is why it should be enforced by the school administration, IMO. Let the refs concentrate on the game and let the admins enforce crowd control. I think the notion of an AD siding with an unruly parent - which a couple posters have brought up - is a huge stretch. These are professional educators, not mouthy fans.

Go back and read the letter written by the principal to the families in post #1.

Then proceed to post #194 and read the response from Fairfield.

"Professional educators" are seeing some of these things differently.

Your logic on who should control the gym is flawed.

You’re wrong in this case torbs. School admin would not be able to be impartial enough to kick out an unruly home fan from the stands. They too want their school to win so they’d allow a lot more than the refs would. It’s best to be handled by a nonpartisan referee to make those decisions.

You’re wrong in this case torbs. School admin would not be able to be impartial enough to kick out an unruly home fan from the stands. They too want their school to win so they’d allow a lot more than the refs would. It’s best to be handled by a nonpartisan referee to make those decisions.
I disagree. You are presuming a lot here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT