ADVERTISEMENT

CJF

Rothstein says Moss is visiting Arkansas this week. Also interested is Louisville, Minnesota, Iowa State, Illinois, Cincy.

I guess he is not planning on going to a midmajor to be the man as some predicted.

Let’s see where he actually ends up.

Its funny, if I told you we were looking at a guy who was a senior to be, 6-5, 210lbs from Chicago, non Caucasian, shoots 43% from 3, 82% from line and averaged about 10pts per game in B1G and was in the transfer portal, many would be supportive of that. Now of course, there is more to the story but....

Reactions: Auger
Maybe these high level power five coaches are stupid and all our brilliant armchair experts are better evaluators of talent than these professionals.
Or maybe they are more objective and believe that Moss can be a valuable contributor for their programs next season. Evidently we have a star frosh ready to replace him in CJ. No problem.
They see in Moss what alot of see but sometimes forget. That is, if you can somehow make this kid more consistent, then you will have yourself a pretty decent player. Even if he does end up at ISU or another big ten school (gag me) I hope he does well.

Reactions: iowa surfer
So no one has heard reports about how CJ has looked in practice? Ditto Nunge? I guess we will see in 5-6 months.

So no one has heard reports about how CJ has looked in practice? Ditto Nunge? I guess we will see in 5-6 months.

Just what was mentioned in a few articles a while back: Nunge has bulked up to 250 and both guys have looked impressive in practice. Nothing more specific than that.

Leistikow mentioned in the Hawk Central podcast that he's heard good things, but really at this point no one will know with any matter of certainty until he actually plays. General observation, I haven't heard Fran ever say about any player that they haven't played well in practice. He talked glowingly about everyone from Olaseni to Oglesby to Baer to Gatens to Gesell and everyone in between. Obviously, some of those guys have been really good in games, others not as good. I do have a hard time believing that Frederick, coming from smaller-class Kentucky basketball, will be ready to play at Moss' level after 1 redshirt year. But what do I know?

Leistikow mentioned in the Hawk Central podcast that he's heard good things, but really at this point no one will know with any matter of certainty until he actually plays. General observation, I haven't heard Fran ever say about any player that they haven't played well in practice. He talked glowingly about everyone from Olaseni to Oglesby to Baer to Gatens to Gesell and everyone in between. Obviously, some of those guys have been really good in games, others not as good. I do have a hard time believing that Frederick, coming from smaller-class Kentucky basketball, will be ready to play at Moss' level after 1 redshirt year. But what do I know?

You could be right but I would like to think Fran would have tried a lot harder to keep Moss around if he thought Frederick couldn’t give at least what Moss could.

You could be right but I would like to think Fran would have tried a lot harder to keep Moss around if he thought Frederick couldn't give at least what Moss could.

Not to be a pain in the arse but do you know how hard Fran tried to keep Moss? From what he has said publicly, my guess is he wanted very much to have Moss stay.

Reactions: perryhawk
Looking good in practice is about as meaningful as a daily horoscope. We've all heard numerous times as to the great practice performers in the Fran era at Iowa.
Meaningful game time competition is the only way to really know who is, and who is not, a significant contributor.

Reactions: jellyfish10

Obviously, you know nothing about Fredrick, like others that presume that he's just another body that Fran picked up to fill a scholarship.
If you had actually looked into his bio you'd have found out the Kentucky has only one class in high school basketball, that means every school in Kentucky has the ability to win the one state championship that Kentucky has, no matter what size of school.
C.J. led his team, from the point guard position and the 2 guard position, in points and assists all season long and throughout the run to the state title.
I don't believe there's a player that Fran has recruited in his time at Iowa that comes with that resume, not Aaron White, not Peter Jok, not Jarrod Uthoff, not Tyler Cook, not Joe Wieskamp.
Make your own assumption about C.J. Fredrick but he just might surprise everyone this coming season and make all of us to forget a player that was as inconsistent as Moss.
Baer, Cook, and Moss have moved on, it's about time us fans do the same and look forward to seeing the likes of Nunge, Pemsl, Fredrick, Patrick McCaffery, and Joe Toussaint show us what they've got.

Did anyone watch him play in high school? I did. I went to the KY State Championship and watched him play three games as I was visiting my wife’s family in Lexington. CJ is a complete stud. He played on a super high level team and dominated the games I watched. Google CJ Fredrick Kentucky State Highlights. The talk at Rupp Arena was he might of had the finest performance in the history of the State Tourney. I also was in Cincinnati on business and went to watch CJ play Moeller High School. Moeller USA Today Nationally ranked with Texas Jaxson Hayes. The Game was the most intense high school game I have witnessed and CJ dominated. These environments were nothing like we are used to in Iowa.

Not to be a pain in the arse but do you know how hard Fran tried to keep Moss? From what he has said publicly, my guess is he wanted very much to have Moss stay.

No I don't know but I look at it this way ... he must have really wanted Cook back last year to allow him to go into the season working on his NBA game and acting as a point forward and it sounds like he wasn't willing to guarantee that Moss was going to get more minutes (or not lose even more minutes).

In my opinion, if you really are worried about losing that player, you make it very clear that you are going to give that player lots of opportunities to get those minutes and increased playing time and responsibility.

So I am speculating of course but I feel like if Fran was really truly worried about his loss, he would have figured out a way to keep him.

Who knows though.

Did anyone watch him play in high school? I did. I went to the KY State Championship and watched him play three games as I was visiting my wife’s family in Lexington. CJ is a complete stud. He played on a super high level team and dominated the games I watched. Google CJ Fredrick Kentucky State Highlights. The talk at Rupp Arena was he might of had the finest performance in the history of the State Tourney. I also was in Cincinnati on business and went to watch CJ play Moeller High School. Moeller USA Today Nationally ranked with Texas Jaxson Hayes. The Game was the most intense high school game I have witnessed and CJ dominated. These environments were nothing like we are used to in Iowa.

Gotta love that stroke!

Can flat out play. After watching the games at Rupp Arena I followed his team mates where they are going to college. The forward on CJ team will be the starting QB at Miami of Ohio and the other forward is the number one rated tight end in America going to ND. The center went to Xavier for ball. Hope the QB struggles against the Hawks this September!

Reactions: keosauquahawk
55 points in that clip. Reminds me of Joe W., except the part where he is constantly looking for his shot.

I believe we will be talking to Fran tomorrow and Nunge and Fredrick will be right at the top of the questions we ask.

Hey Suter, I missed the show. That darn work thing always getting in the way...

Can you provide us with the highlights???

Reactions: skydog0784
Watching as much film as I can find....slow off season.

The quality that seems to jump out is a very quick release, either off the dribble or catch and shoot. Seems like CJF also scores a lot more off the dribble than either Ogles or Brady.

Really skinny but much quicker and more agile than some are giving him credit. Then again, if you don't look good on highlights ….

Excited to see the two freshmen guards in live fire. We need both to be pretty much ready to play heavy minutes, especially CJF cuz there is really no one with his skill set to take Isaiah's minutes.

Between Fran's buildup and Ikes departure there will be tremendous pressure on CJ as a frosh to step in and perform immediately.
Same for Joey T. JoeW was a top 40 recruit and he was up to the challenge. ..these guys are not top 150...should remember that when we start building hype.

Between Fran's buildup and Ikes departure there will be tremendous pressure on CJ as a frosh to step in and perform immediately.
Same for Joey T. JoeW was a top 40 recruit and he was up to the challenge. ..these guys are not top 150...should remember that when we start building hype.
He redshirted a year. I expect he will be ready enough.

Joey T doesn't have to be ready to play immediately-two point guards ahead of him on the roster. No one between CJ and the 2 guard spot, unless Joey W swings down and they go bigger with P McC starting. Of course, if C McC starts Joey T's minutes will increase.

One thing we never want to see are three of the following four players on the floor simultaneously: Luka, Ryan, Cordell and Jack.

There’s a reason Moss left. Have wanted a major scoring role this upcoming year. Fran wasn’t going to guarantee him anything. I’ve heard reports from very reliable sources that CJ was having his way with Moss in practice. Our biggest loss will be Baer. Nunge, joe T, Pemsl and CJ are going to be very solid players for us.

There’s a reason Moss left. Have wanted a major scoring role this upcoming year. Fran wasn’t going to guarantee him anything. I’ve heard reports from very reliable sources that CJ was having his way with Moss in practice. Our biggest loss will be Baer. Nunge, joe T, Pemsl and CJ are going to be very solid players for us.

Moss should have done more research. Arkansas has more guards and swing players than Iowa does, who contributed a lot to the team, and are underclassmen who will improve. But of his top 4 teams that were listed, Arkansas was probably his best bet. Still, He could have made a better choice, if he is wanting more PT...

Hope your sources are right about CJ!! That would be kicka$$.

I left out Patrick in my last post because I’m guessing he will redshirt. Patrick will be a very good player for us. A year to get stronger is good for him and the rotation. Keeps it at 9 or 10

ADVERTISEMENT