A

anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba

2017:
1 - Lost to Penn State 21-19 on the last play of the game
2 - Lost to Michigan State 17-10
3 - Lost to Northwestern 17-10 in OT

2018:
1 - Lost to Wisconsin 28-17 after leading 17-14 with a minute to play
2 - Lost to Penn State 30-24 after having 1st and goal at the three with 3 minutes to play
3 - Lost to Purdue 38-36 on a FG with 8 seconds to play

That's a sad, frustrating pattern. As many outstanding players as Iowa has put on the field the last two years, it seems there has been one glaring issue: The Hawkeyes lack that ONE guy on both sides of the ball who will step up in a key situation and make a play. On defense, that may be partially due to the scheme. On offense, that usually should be the QB.

But if ONE guy had made ONE key play in the final moments of those six games, what a difference that would have made. Win at least two of those three each season, and all is well in Iowa City.

2017:

2018:
2 - Lost to Penn State 30-24 after having 1st and goal at the three with 3 minutes to play

That's a sad, frustrating pattern. As many outstanding players as Iowa has put on the field the last two years, it seems there has been one glaring issue: The Hawkeyes lack that ONE guy on both sides of the ball who will step up in a key situation and make a play. On defense, that may be partially due to the scheme. On offense, that usually should be the QB.

But if ONE guy had made ONE key play in the final moments of those six games, what a difference that would have made. Win at least two of those three each season, and all is well in Iowa City.

The one glaring issue in every single close game is luck. We seemed to use up all our luck in 2015. We just seemed to have the bounces go against us. Also our LOE seems to be higher the past two years. Just dumb mistakes made by some good players.

I think Iowa has the WR that want to make plays, but our QB struggles to get them the ball in key situations. It’s either over/under thrown.

But in each game it’s either the offense 1 week and then the defense the next. Very frustrating, because this team could be good if both sides of the ball put a complete game together.

It all starts with the head coach. His philosophy of playing not to lose filters down to the players. That is why QB’s who are aggressive and have “swagger” their first year as a starter lose them in subsequent seasons. That is why Iowa loses so many games in the final minute, or fail to win games in the final minute. They don’t have the killer instinct. The play calling on offense doesn’t help.

2017:

2018:

Yeah, all could have been W's, and you would think this team could've gotten 1/2 of the them, or at least 2.

It seems that Iowa either wins comfortably or loses a close one. It's tough to watch.

2017:

2018:

Absolutely spot on. I've been saying this for several years that we just don't have enough playmakers on either side of the ball. We have good, solid players, but not that one guy who can change a game.

Absolutely spot on. I've been saying this for several years that we just don't have enough playmakers on either side of the ball. We have good, solid players, but not that one guy who can change a game.

I put these on our offense. Last year we aren’t going to win in this era of college football scoring less than 20 pts in the games against PSU, MSU, NW. This year is better pts wise but the offense hasn’t scored or maintained drives at critical times. 1st drive against WI can’t score from the 5 yard line, PSU miss wide open TE for 6 & throw a pick at the 3 on 1st down, PU defense finally gets a stop and the o goes backward on penalties and gives it back to PU at midfield for the game winning TD. If our offense was better this team would be like the 2002 team which is where I agree with the posters statement about lacking playmakers. I think we have some just not at the most important position which is qb. Stanley is no CJ, Tate, or Banks. Hope this Petras kid is the real deal because in Mansel’s limited snaps he looks like turnover machine.

I put these on our offense. Last year we aren’t going to win in this era of college football scoring less than 20 pts in the games against PSU, MSU, NW. This year is better pts wise but the offense hasn’t scored or maintained drives at critical times. 1st drive against WI can’t score from the 5 yard line, PSU miss wide open TE for 6 & throw a pick at the 3 on 1st down, PU defense finally gets a stop and the o goes backward on penalties and gives it back to PU at midfield for the game winning TD. If our offense was better this team would be like the 2002 team which is where I agree with the posters statement about lacking playmakers. I think we have some just not at the most important position which is qb. Stanley is no CJ, Tate, or Banks. Hope this Petras kid is the real deal because in Mansel’s limited snaps he looks like turnover machine.

Absent great protection, or great receivers, you need a QB that can extend plays with his feet. Stanley doesn't have that ability to extend plays---a guy like Mansel does. We got beat yesterday because Purdue QB made a 4th and 2 with his feet. We got beat by PSU because McSorely ran 55 yards past our defense.

Last edited:
Even the announcers yesterday said that Purdue knew Iowa is willing to just punt in some third and long situations from their scouting reports.

Iowa will never be Elite , always be respectable under the current staff . This season is toast , I want to see what Mansell can do with extended playing time. Stanley has had His chance and He cant be trusted in big games and cant win against good teams on the road .

Reactions: kcgolfer
What if Mansell plays like Drew Tate, same skill package and He has to have more fire than Stanley, Stanley makes Calvin Coolidge look gregarious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT