ADVERTISEMENT

*****Conference Tournament games thread*****

The NCAA Tournament isn't a grind - it's a winner-take-all scenario. Thus the tournaments are better at determining who can withstand a series of these games than the regular season. The better regular season teams are recognized by the seeding in the tournaments.
I didn't say the NCAAs were a grind - the conference season is. A team like UNI proved it was the best team in the MVC over the course of 18 games. I think that merits a NCAA berth over a team that happens to get hot over a weekend.

It's great if you are that hot team. It sucks if you are a team like UNI. Of course this really only applies to mid-major type conferences. If a team like Iowa or Iowa State win their tournament, they will improve their NCAA seeding, but they won't take a spot from Illinois or Texas Tech. It's too bad a team like Drake HAS to win their tournament. They are more deserving of a berth than a team like Indiana or K State.

Anyway, love these small conference tourneys!

It will never happen, but I wish they would make regular season conference champs get the automatic. The grind of a 18-20 game schedule > getting hot over a weekend.

Having conference tournament champs earn automatic bids adds an element of excitement that won't be eliminated. The reality is there is too much $$$ involved, and there would be no incentive for teams to play.

Back in the days of the Big 8, I would wager any amount of $$$ that Missouri (lead by Norm Stewart) "didn't give their best effort" in quarterfinals. He was always outspoken about how worthless conference tourneys were for the top teams. Losing that 1st round game gave his players 1-2 days of rest. I remember Bob Knight hated it when Big 10 added a conference tourney, saying it was a money grab. Both Stewart + Knight were both right...
The problem is that they didn't want two sets of standards for mid-majors and major conferences.

I would be fine with having both count as AQs, at least for the major conferences. That way you still keep the incentive for the CTs.

The smaller conferences have a good thing going with the excitement of their conference tournament, even though it's at the expense of their regular season champ on many occasions.

Gotta love that defense by Delaware with from about 1 minute to 20 seconds. No help/collapsing, and left no opportunity for open shots on the help. Wish Iowa was better at that. Another great game.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
I wondered what happened, damn..
Home court advantage for Bryant in what looks like a HS gym. With a 30 point lead there was a lot of taunting by the home team on the few fans of the visitors, who had objects thrown at them. One Wagner player got into the crowd but was restrained by his own. Maybe Wagner should not be allotted any NCAA tickets...

I didn't say the NCAAs were a grind - the conference season is. A team like UNI proved it was the best team in the MVC over the course of 18 games. I think that merits a NCAA berth over a team that happens to get hot over a weekend.

It's great if you are that hot team. It sucks if you are a team like UNI. Of course this really only applies to mid-major type conferences. If a team like Iowa or Iowa State win their tournament, they will improve their NCAA seeding, but they won't take a spot from Illinois or Texas Tech. It's too bad a team like Drake HAS to win their tournament. They are more deserving of a berth than a team like Indiana or K State.

Anyway, love these small conference tourneys!
Read my post. You missed my point completely.

NDSU got the stop they needed around the 2 minute mark, but they wasted it on an iso 1 on 1 call that ended up as a turnover. I don't give a f*** how good that player was, it was a lame call and worse execution by said player, regardless of the turnover.

That was the ball game at that point because all NDSU could do after that was trade baskets and FTs.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT