ADVERTISEMENT

*****Conference Tournament games thread*****

Those automatic qualifiers are strong so far (except for Georgia State). It would not be surprising to see a few Tournament wins just from that group.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
That three pointer to make the Dance in the clip above will flash in those kids brains for the rest of their lives.
Indeed it will. For Chattanooga it will be the thrill of victory, but let's not overlook the fact that, for Furman, it will be the sheer agony of defeat.

Furman was a tick away from the tourney, only to have that desperation shot go down. Sometimes, we need to step back and remember that for every great win like that there is an even more agonizing defeat. Any of us who've lost games like that can empathize with those Furman kids.

Indeed it will. For Chattanooga it will be the thrill of victory, but let's not overlook the fact that, for Furman, it will be the sheer agony of defeat.

Furman was a tick away from the tourney, only to have that desperation shot go down. Sometimes, we need to step back and remember that for every great win like that there is an even more agonizing defeat. Any of us who've lost games like that can empathize with those Furman kids.
No doubt about it, I actually felt for those Furman kids more than anything else.

And Furman had made plays to get the game to OT ...

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
I enjoy watching these smaller conference tournaments more than the P6 ones. Some really good players you've never heard of, and both teams know they have to win to get in.

Agree with earlier post - I feel bad for Furnam. It's one thing to lose on a last second shot, but to lose on a desperation shot has to be agonizing.

It stinks for Drake that they couldn't win the MVC tourney because they are just as deserving as Loyola of a bid, and if Loyola gets any higher than a 10 seed, then they absolutely should be in over some other teams (cough Indiana/Mich/MSU cough).

But UNI winning the MVC regular season title actually hurts Drake. UNI also has to be kicking themselves for their bad start to the season.

The MVC is gonna be well-represented in the NIT this year.

Furman didn’t miss a shot in OT and still lost. Both SOCON teams were top 75 in kenpom.

Furman’s coach has finished top 3 all five of his full seasons, but just can’t seem to get over the hump.

I enjoy watching these smaller conference tournaments more than the P6 ones. Some really good players you've never heard of, and both teams know they have to win to get in.

Agree with earlier post - I feel bad for Furnam. It's one thing to lose on a last second shot, but to lose on a desperation shot has to be agonizing.
I agree on the "Some really good players you've never heard of..." Love to see them play well and get some recognition for what they do. Additionally, and just for fun, who knew about Sister Jean before she led Loyola to the Final Four in 2018? :D

When Iowa had that scare vs Bryant a few years ago, their coach really impressed me. Plenty of good coaches in the lower levels, but he showed a real eye for detail in his game plan against us that game. It was almost like playing a conference opponent with how well we were scouted.

Bracketmatrix has them as a 16 seed, but IDK.

It will never happen, but I wish they would make regular season conference champs get the automatic. The grind of a 18-20 game schedule > getting hot over a weekend.

Having conference tournament champs earn automatic bids adds an element of excitement that won't be eliminated. The reality is there is too much $$$ involved, and there would be no incentive for teams to play.

Back in the days of the Big 8, I would wager any amount of $$$ that Missouri (lead by Norm Stewart) "didn't give their best effort" in quarterfinals. He was always outspoken about how worthless conference tourneys were for the top teams. Losing that 1st round game gave his players 1-2 days of rest. I remember Bob Knight hated it when Big 10 added a conference tourney, saying it was a money grab. Both Stewart + Knight were both right...

When Iowa had that scare vs Bryant a few years ago, their coach really impressed me. Plenty of good coaches in the lower levels, but he showed a real eye for detail in his game plan against us that game. It was almost like playing a conference opponent with how well we were scouted.

Bracketmatrix has them as a 16 seed, but IDK.
Wouldn't want to play them if I was a 1 seed, yikes!

I really hope Iowa avoids Murray State.

Looking forward to the Summit Championship tonight.

It will never happen, but I wish they would make regular season conference champs get the automatic. The grind of a 18-20 game schedule > getting hot over a weekend.

Having conference tournament champs earn automatic bids adds an element of excitement that won't be eliminated. The reality is there is too much $$$ involved, and there would be no incentive for teams to play.

Back in the days of the Big 8, I would wager any amount of $$$ that Missouri (lead by Norm Stewart) "didn't give their best effort" in quarterfinals. He was always outspoken about how worthless conference tourneys were for the top teams. Losing that 1st round game gave his players 1-2 days of rest. I remember Bob Knight hated it when Big 10 added a conference tourney, saying it was a money grab. Both Stewart + Knight were both right...
The NCAA Tournament isn't a grind - it's a winner-take-all scenario. Thus the tournaments are better at determining who can withstand a series of these games than the regular season. The better regular season teams are recognized by the seeding in the tournaments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT