ADVERTISEMENT

Congressional pay raise

theiacowtipper

HR Legend
Feb 17, 2004
I saw that Congress hasn’t received a pay raise in 15 years. It’s time. They make 170k ish but I’m not sure that’s enough to attract quality people. It’s also significantly decreased having to maintain two residences.

Either give them a pay raise or pay them a stipend to live in DC and maintain a second residence.

I saw that Congress hasn’t received a pay raise in 15 years. It’s time. They make 170k ish but I’m not sure that’s enough to attract quality people. It’s also significantly decreased having to maintain two residences.

Either give them a pay raise or pay them a stipend to live in DC and maintain a second residence.

Don't political contributions take almost all day to day expenses and then some?

Build a dormitory.
I've said this many, many times. House them all in the same building. Force them to interact with each other. It can be a nice apartment complex with a gym, green spaces, an upscale cafeteria, and larger units for members with kids, but put them all under one roof. Make it like work, and less of a lifetime appointment.

I used to feel this way but screw them.

They have time to fly around the country doing anything but working then they can deal with the pay. I also notice most of them will do almost anything to stay in office.
That’s counter productive. Pay them a wage commensurate with responsibilities. Ban stock trading. Hold them accountable.

Build a dormitory.
The D's would be running a train on MTG and Boebert every night...
You’d have to triple the pay to increase the quality of candidates.
Make them all take a standardized civics, law and governmental procedures test. The highest grading 3rd make 300k, middle third 200K and bottom feeders 100k. Retake the test every 2 years. Make the test scores public...

The D's would be running a train on MTG and Boebert every night...

Make them all take a standardized civics, law and governmental procedures test. The highest grading 3rd make 300k, middle third 200K and bottom feeders 100k. Retake the test every 2 years. Make the test scores public...
There would be opportunities for tutors.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Should pay them on the amount of actual work they do. The house has only passed 4 bills last year. And 3 of those were for govt funding.

Reactions: Moral
I’d agree to pay raises, but they would come with term limits, prohibiting stock trading while in office, ban from lobbying jobs for 5 years after leaving office and same insurance that other government employees have.

Should pay them on the amount of actual work they do. The house has only passed 4 bills last year. And 3 of those were for govt funding.
I also like the idea of bonuses for performance, but not how sure to measure that. They’d just pass meaningless bills to get paid.

I’d agree to pay raises, but they would come with term limits, prohibiting stock trading while in office, ban from lobbying jobs for 5 years after leaving office and same insurance that other government employees have.

I wish, but it will not happen.

Term limits would require a constitutional amendment.

200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Restrict them to indexed mutual funds, which would incentivize them to build a board economy vs. graft and corruption...

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Pay them the median wage of the people they represent.

Your consituents do better, you do better

Reactions: ericram
They need an automatic retirement age for all government employees, including congress, president, and Supreme Court. Say 66.

If we eliminated honest graft I’d agree with you.

Since we seem to be ok with it and politicians do just fine financially because of it…**** no.

I watch a lot of CSPAN. A lot of Congress members act like buffoons at work. Yelling, heckling each other, rolling out stupid props, or blowing off work all together. If I did this I would be fired. If anything they're overpaid.

How about 300k and an absolute ban on outside an income that wasn’t generated by a blind trust. Any other income must be donated to charity.
That would be ideal but there are always ways for them to get extra paydays that the average middle income person could only dream of while doing their job. Also who decides the “charity?”

I watch a lot of CSPAN. A lot of Congress members act like buffoons at work. Yelling, heckling each other, rolling out stupid props, or blowing off work all together. If I did this I would be fired. If anything they're overpaid.
Well said

Reactions: Huey Grey
Well said
If I screamed at my coworkers, gave speeches in gas masks, showed dick pix during meetings, and played around on my phone most of the day I would expect to get canned instantly. Somehow Congress thinks this is ok.

If I screamed at my coworkers, gave speeches in gas masks, showed dick pix during meetings, and played around on my phone most of the day I would expect to get canned instantly. Somehow Congress thinks this is ok.
I work in a plastic factory in small town Iowa. People get away with all of that minus the dick pics. I’m sure some of that has gone on too I just don’t hear about it.
Hell a former Plant Manager walked around in a plague mask to mock a company wide mask requirement during Covid.
None of us are in a position of nationwide authority though.
I expect better from congress than I do a bunch of rag tag factory workers.
Edit to add that a guy that used to work there did kind of display dik pics. At break one time he was showing off a VR headset he had that you snap your phone into. One of the things he was showing people was pron.
If someone is offended enough they will go to HR and HR does usually act fair and appropriate but it doesn’t happen much.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT