LuteHawk

HR Legend
Nov 30, 2011
Point Guard........Conner McCaffery
Shooting Guard...Jordan Bohannon
Small Forward....Joe WiesKamp
Power Forward....Tyler Cook
Center..................Luka Garza

This would make a good starting lineup for Iowa.
Hopefully it happens before the Big Ten Season
starts. Conner is a good passer and has high
basketball IQ. Bohannon needs to play at position
where he can take more shots. Moss should start
the game on the bench.

Total individual points for first two games:

Cook...........29 points
Wieskamp.. 25 points
Bohannon....25 points
Garza...........25 points
McCaffery....18 points

Baer.............15 points
Kreiner.........14 points
Dailey...........13 points
Moss............ 6 points.

the game on the bench.

Good call, Lute! Fran has stuck with Moss long enough. Hopefully riding some pine will light a fire under his ass.

I would be worried about our ability to defend opposing teams with really quick guards but agree that starting both CM and JBo is the best play. The offensive flow is so much better with Connor at the point. Moss is bringing nothing to the table. He should only be seeing spot minutes at best.

If Fran does indeed shorten the rotation, it really should be only the Top 8 getting almost all of the meaningful minutes w/ Pemsl & Moss as the 9th & 10th guys with spot minutes only (unless certain situations such as foul trouble forces them into more playing time).

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
I think Iowa was +14 with Connor in the game.

He was good to have when Moss was worthless.

He's smooth and smart. Takes some of the ball handling pressure off Jordan and allows him to run a little more freely. I like having them in at the same time with Dailey coming in as a reserve.

Reactions: hawkhorn
I hope we move to this, when the game was still tight with 10 to go Fran primarily played this lineup with Baer subbing here and there to close it out.

I think you test Moss early in games off the bench, if he's hot give him minutes, if he is timid sit him and don't play him the rest of the game.

The nice thing with Conner in the game is he was getting everyone where they needed to be, primarily Cook. Cook needs to be on the block period, finally have someone that can get him the ball. Just sit down there and eat.

I feel success this season depends on if Cook will be unselfish, if he is trying to pad is NBA versatility reel all year we are going to be in trouble.

Conner’s style fits well with the other players. He keeps the ball moving and doesn’t hunt shots. I felt the same last year when he was in the game for his brief tenure. I agree with the OP about the lineup. Nothing against Moss, it is just about chemistry. Maybe Moss will be better off the bench. I like his game, he has to play out of his slow start.

I would be worried about our ability to defend opposing teams with really quick guards but agree that starting both CM and JBo is the best play. The offensive flow is so much better with Connor at the point. Moss is bringing nothing to the table. He should only be seeing spot minutes at best.

If Fran does indeed shorten the rotation, it really should be only the Top 8 getting almost all of the meaningful minutes w/ Pemsl & Moss as the 9th & 10th guys with spot minutes only (unless certain situations such as foul trouble forces them into more playing time).

Connor is unfortunately a better defender than Moss. So you're really just subing a poor defender for a decent one.

the game on the bench.
Agree and 4 of the five have a high basketball IQ, Cook is big and athletic. If you don’t have elite athletes you need players with high Bball IQ who are fundamentally sound. Your lineup fits the bill and Baer and Kriener should be the first 2 off the bench.

Agree and 4 of the five have a high basketball IQ, Cook is big and athletic. If you don’t have elite athletes you need players with high Bball IQ who are fundamentally sound. Your lineup fits the bill and Baer and Kriener should be the first 2 off the bench.

I’m sensing a trend here.

Reactions: Ballhawk1221
I hope we move to this, when the game was still tight with 10 to go Fran primarily played this lineup with Baer subbing here and there to close it out.

I think you test Moss early in games off the bench, if he's hot give him minutes, if he is timid sit him and don't play him the rest of the game.

The nice thing with Conner in the game is he was getting everyone where they needed to be, primarily Cook. Cook needs to be on the block period, finally have someone that can get him the ball. Just sit down there and eat.

I feel success this season depends on if Cook will be unselfish, if he is trying to pad is NBA versatility reel all year we are going to be in trouble.

I feel like Cook doesn't care about scoring easy baskets on the block because the nba doesn't run through the post.

Worked well with Gesell & Clemmons. Might have to make it 3 PGs next year, and add Joe T.

Moss has not came off the bench in about 2 years. And only a handful in his career. Maybe he would be better off the bench?? Seems to be that way with Baer(although he was injured to start the year, last season). Light a fire under his arse, and have him come off the bench.

I will say I would not mind Dailey starting. He has the best defense of our guards. Probably the whole team. And he has the skillset to play PG. Especially with JBo in the lineup... That and we would not have to hear people bitch...err complain about the "coaches kid starting". That would be a distraction that would not be good for the entire team... I would be fine with Dailey. Connor & Baer first off the bench. Moss 3rd off the bench.

I agree Conner and Jordan should be the starting guards. There is nothing wrong with having 2 "PG's" in at the same time.

the game on the bench.
Completely agree.

I don’t mind starting Moss and removing him early if “bad” Moss shows up. You pretty much know which one you’re getting within a couple shot attempts anyways.

Plus, if you start both Bohannon and McCaffery, then there may be concern as far as subbing goes and keeping fresh legs at the PG spot. If you stagger them a little, then JB starts, slides over to the two when CM comes in, gets a breather, CM gets a breather, then they close out the half together. Next year with Toussaint (assuming he’s good enough to help in spells) you can start both without worry.

Reactions: clayborn_94
Worked well with Gesell & Clemmons. Might have to make it 3 PGs next year, and add Joe T.

Moss has not came off the bench in about 2 years. And only a handful in his career. Maybe he would be better off the bench?? Seems to be that way with Baer(although he was injured to start the year, last season). Light a fire under his arse, and have him come off the bench.

I will say I would not mind Dailey starting. He has the best defense of our guards. Probably the whole team. And he has the skillset to play PG. Especially with JBo in the lineup... That and we would not have to hear people bitch...err complain about the "coaches kid starting". That would be a distraction that would not be good for the entire team... I would be fine with Dailey. Connor & Baer first off the bench. Moss 3rd off the bench.

Agree on Dailey. I flipped him for Moss in the starting lineup, but moved him to PG on another thread. But I am intrigued by Conner. Honestly, I just have not seen very much of him to have a strong opinion. That would equate to six guys for five spots....

Connor
Dailey
JoBo
Weiskamp
Cook
Garza

Obviously, this really comes down to minutes more than anything. The above six should garner the most minutes, with Moss, Baer, and Kreiner next in line.
Against certain teams with less size, could see lineup of Connor, Dailey, JoBo, Weiskamp and Cook.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
I don’t mind starting Moss and removing him early if “bad” Moss shows up. You pretty much know which one you’re getting within a couple shot attempts anyways.

Plus, if you start both Bohannon and McCaffery, then there may be concern as far as subbing goes and keeping fresh legs at the PG spot. If you stagger them a little, then JB starts, slides over to the two when CM comes in, gets a breather, CM gets a breather, then they close out the half together. Next year with Toussaint (assuming he’s good enough to help in spells) you can start both without worry.

Obviously Fran will have to manage the minutes, but we already know Jordan can play 35 minutes and Conner 25.

Reactions: unoHawkeye

the game on the bench.
This sure seems to be where the team is heading. Perhaps Moss could be sold on the idea of watching the game like Baer on the bench to see where he’s needed. It might actually help him. But an 8 man rotation of:
LG TC JW JB CM
RK. NB. MD
Seems best at this point. Moss will have the occasional breakout game. Pemsl still at his best has been at good mid-major post player. Don’t see that changing.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
The NBA isnt stupid. Youre not going to fool them with lots of points and highlight plays. The want to see iq, skill, athletism, and effort. Cook shouldnt even have the NBA on his mind; hes really far away.
Watch out for dragonhawk, he said he’s a first round pick.

the game on the bench.

Not sure who Conner is, but I'd start that Connor kid. Amazing what can happen when you play a game healthy for the first time in 1 1/2 years.

Reactions: perryhawk
I agree Conner and Jordan should be the starting guards. There is nothing wrong with having 2 "PG's" in at the same time.

Prior to the season I would have said your statement was nuts, but after last game, It's a definite possibility. As other have mentioned, Connor feeding the post is huge. Last year guys just weren't passing it inside when other were open.

Prior to the season I would have said your statement was nuts, but after last game, It's a definite possibility. As other have mentioned, Connor feeding the post is huge. Last year guys just weren't passing it inside when other were open.

I echo your comments. I have to eat some crow as L Childress called it correctly on Connor. Even though I could see that he knows how to play and is fundamentally sound, I did not think he had the athleticism to be a creator and his shot is unknown at this level. I still want to see how he does against a team like Oregon but if Connor plays well that’s encouraging.

Connor played better defense than I thought he could too. Best five of the night was the all white package- cm in lg nb jw . Who would have guessed that

Moss just isn’t that good. Streaky shooter but that’s about it. Agree with the lineup above.

I don't think it's fair to say that Moss isn't GOOD. I believe he has talent but there is certainly a disconnect between that talent and the mental side of things. There are times when he looks like an NBA guy when he is letting the game flow and basically playing street ball out there. But he is so timid that he ends up doing nothing out there. As someone said, maybe sitting on the bench will help him value the minutes he gets and make more of them.

Reactions: CanadaHawk
I have a thought about this. I wonder if Fran is too worried about the appearance of nepotism in starting his son as a RS Freshman over Moss as a RS Junior.

Looking at recruiting rankings, 247 had Connor as a .9075 and 152 in the nation. They had Moss as a .8550 and 248 in the nation.

Rivals had Connor as a 4 star and Moss as a 3

ESPN had Conner as an 83 and 92nd in the nation. Moss as an 80 and outside the top 100.

So, all of the "experts" expected Connor would be the better player. Hopefully someone will convince Fran that it is ok to start him until Moss decides that he wants to play and score some points.

I have a thought about this. I wonder if Fran is too worried about the appearance of nepotism in starting his son as a RS Freshman over Moss as a RS Junior.

Looking at recruiting rankings, 247 had Connor as a .9075 and 152 in the nation. They had Moss as a .8550 and 248 in the nation.

Rivals had Connor as a 4 star and Moss as a 3

ESPN had Conner as an 83 and 92nd in the nation. Moss as an 80 and outside the top 100.

So, all of the "experts" expected Connor would be the better player. Hopefully someone will convince Fran that it is ok to start him until Moss decides that he wants to play and score some points.
As long as Connor is getting more minutes and is in when it matters (at least if Moss is playing like he has the first couple of games) then it doesn’t really matter who starts.

Although maybe it would be a nice wake-up call for Isaiah to have him come off the bench for a couple games. I tend to believe that he’s putting too much pressure on himself to perform and it’s negatively impacting his overall game. My guess is that he’s focusing too heavily on whatever feedback he got from the draft process instead of just going out and playing

Reactions: LuteHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT