ADVERTISEMENT

Connor officially back

That is kind of a strange post considering we won 26 games, (most in school history), and we got hot when JBO went pack to the point guard. Not saying you can put all that success on him, BUT you sure as hell can't claim him playing cost us a bunch of losses either, because thats obviously not true. I would agree though that his playing again and CMAC's return could in fact be detrimental to younger players growth. Certainly it was a factor in Joe T moving on. Whether that is a net loss, we'll see next season....
my post wasn’t worded the best..... I didn’t mean to really pin losses directly on him.... it’s a team sport and I understand him being on the floor stretches the defense so even if he’s not scoring he’s influencing the game..... I can understand why you read it that way..... my biggest frustration with Jordan was games where he simply couldn’t guard his guys and they were blowing by him to rim

I try not to disparage any of our student athletes very much...... appreciate you and Wades insights though.....like I said I’m far from an expert in the game of Basketball

I’m a rarity on HR...... a non-expert 😂

I would agree that both players were relatively ineffective last year. I could be wrong but I'm guessing that people are thinking that the player entering his 6th year with 5 years of meaningful minutes might have less upside than the guy entering his 3rd year with 1 year of meaningful minutes.
I agree. And, the stats are pretty close except one major difference - turnovers.

Ulis had 2.6 TO's to CMac's 1. JBo had 1.3 TO's to JoeT's 3.1.

When you have a guy like Keegan on the team, a turnover is usually pretty costly. It eliminates a shot opportunity. And of they are "live ball" turnovers the result is often points to the other guys.

JBo and CMac played more because of turnovers, so Keegan could do his thing.

When your game is offense, you need to get shot opportunities.

my post wasn’t worded the best..... I didn’t mean to really pin losses directly on him.... it’s a team sport and I understand him being on the floor stretches the defense so even if he’s not scoring he’s influencing the game..... I can understand why you read it that way..... my biggest frustration with Jordan was games where he simply couldn’t guard his guys and they were blowing by him to rim

I try not to disparage any of our student athletes very much...... appreciate you and Wades insights though.....like I said I’m far from an expert in the game of Basketball

I’m a rarity on HR...... a non-expert 😂
Very few "Experts" here........ ;)

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman
There is a strong rumor in Iowa City, that after this
next basketball season, Connor McCaffery will be
named an assistant coach for the team. He will be
replacing Billy Taylor who just left after 3 yrs.

There is a strong rumor in Iowa City, that after this
next basketball season, Connor McCaffery will be
named an assistant coach for the team. He will be
replacing Billy Taylor who just left after 3 yrs.
If that was the case he wouldn't of come back to play this year. He would of replaced Taylor now.

Reactions: iahawks10
That is kind of a strange post considering we won 26 games, (most in school history), and we got hot when JBO went pack to the point guard. Not saying you can put all that success on him, BUT you sure as hell can't claim him playing cost us a bunch of losses either, because thats obviously not true. I would agree though that his playing again and CMAC's return could in fact be detrimental to younger players growth. Certainly it was a factor in Joe T moving on. Whether that is a net loss, we'll see next season....
Didn't we win 30 games in Tom Davis's first year ?

Didn't we win 30 games in Tom Davis's first year ?
You are correct. I saw that on a website earlier and thought it was correct. Iowa was 30-5 in 1986-87 and lost in the regional semis. The 26 wins is the 2nd most in school history, (A couple of 25 win seasons), and it took us 35 years to get there so pretty solid season.

Reactions: herkhatescy
Sounds like Fran needs to do his job and hit the portal ;)

Reactions: topherchris20
Ulis needs to discover a jump shot at the collegiate level, 5 or 10 more minutes per game last year wouldn't have done that, his role in the offense wouldn't have changed. Hopefully 20,000 shots this summer does.
Based on what? Stats showed the opposite.

I agree. And, the stats are pretty close except one major difference - turnovers.

Ulis had 2.6 TO's to CMac's 1. JBo had 1.3 TO's to JoeT's 3.1.

When you have a guy like Keegan on the team, a turnover is usually pretty costly. It eliminates a shot opportunity. And of they are "live ball" turnovers the result is often points to the other guys.

JBo and CMac played more because of turnovers, so Keegan could do his thing.

When your game is offense, you need to get shot opportunities.
Joet had a better steal to TO ratio than jbo AND better rebounder. Steals and rebounds create extra possessions so I don't buy that....

When Ulis played 20 or more minutes/game, he had a better offensive output.
12 of 37 from the field when he played 20 or more min
Not better than his avg

He might have made more ft in those games, but has nothing to do with his jumper

Not better than his avg

He might have made more ft in those games, but has nothing to do with his jumper

Not better than his avg

I posted this in a different thread about Ulis.

Ahron took 3 3-pt shots his freshman year and missed all 3. Definitely deer-in-the-headlights stats. The past season he took 12 3-pt shots shots and made 4 (33%), respectable, but not great. In the 6 games where he played 20 or more minutes, he was 4-7 from the 3, shot 22/26 for FTs (85%), ands had 23 assists (~4 apg) to 5 turnovers (<1/game) for a gaudy a/to ratio of 4.6. He also had 8 steals.

His overall shooting % was down because he had some drives where he just got in too deep. But he was also coming off wrist surgery the summer of 2021 and probably didn't get as many shots up. But what I said, that he shot better especially from the 3, was true.

I don't understand why some are irritated at his return. If he doesn't return there are 4 open scholarships for next year. With him returning there are still 3. Three to fill the summer before, the next basketball season. That is a tall order.

I don't understand why some are irritated at his return. If he doesn't return there are 4 open scholarships for next year. With him returning there are still 3. Three to fill the summer before, the next basketball season. That is a tall order.
Have you ever heard of the transfer portal? Fran is dogshit at it but it does exist and there are plenty of well rounded players in it, unlike CM. Bringing firstborn back instead of getting a better player is a way for dad to cover his portal ineptitude, just like Ash's wasted scholly. But im a crazy guy who wants the team to get better and hates blatant nepotism. He will be stealing mins from a player who might have a real future. Again

• Haha
Reactions: PIEPI
B0bnr1yCYAA0Mtn.jpg

You never played competitive team sports did you?

Joet had a better steal to TO ratio than jbo AND better rebounder. Steals and rebounds create extra possessions so I don't buy that....
Well, let's take a look then.

JoeT first, then JBO - stats per 40 minutes

Stl/TO ratio 1.06, .85
Rebs 3.9, 2.0
Fouls 3.5, 2.0
Pts 9.9, 16.3

Who would you play based on these stats?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT