ADVERTISEMENT

Connor officially back

Final stats show the 3 PT shooting % as follows:
Kris Murray. 40%
Keegan Murray 38%
J. Bo. 38%
C Mac 37.7%
P Sandifort 35%
Two of those guys are gone so I think we can use all the shooting we can find.

Reactions: perryhawk
Well, let's take a look then.

JoeT first, then JBO - stats per 40 minutes

Stl/TO ratio 1.06, .85
Rebs 3.9, 2.0
Fouls 3.5, 2.0
Pts 9.9, 16.3

Who would you play based on these stats?
Obviously jbo scored more. No clue why you'd include fouls... unless you prefer a guy that slacks on defense vs a guy that give his all and then some

Either way jbo doesn't give more shot attempts

Obviously jbo scored more. No clue why you'd include fouls... unless you prefer a guy that slacks on defense vs a guy that give his all and then some

Either way jbo doesn't give more shot attempts
Included fouls because that can also change possession or provide a scoring opportunity for the other team. But, you can ignore it if you want.

It really doesn't matter to me who should have played more since they are both gone. Just showing some stats.

Included fouls because that can also change possession or provide a scoring opportunity for the other team. But, you can ignore it if you want.

It really doesn't matter to me who should have played more since they are both gone. Just showing some stats.
Bad defense provides way more scoring opportunities for the opponent ;).

Bad defense provides way more scoring opportunities for the opponent ;).
Absolutely. I'm sure JBo gave up a lot more points than JoeT.

I think JBo played more because I think Fran liked the way he ran the team.

I'm really disappointed that Fran couldn't find an appropriate "harness" that would work for Joe T so that they could co-exist. Good player and fun to watch.

Reactions: nbanflfactory
Absolutely. I'm sure JBo gave up a lot more points than JoeT.

I think JBo played more because I think Fran liked the way he ran the team.

I'm really disappointed that Fran couldn't find an appropriate "harness" that would work for Joe T so that they could co-exist. Good player and fun to watch.
Joe was unharnessed, he just wasn't consistent. I don't ever recall him slowing down on the court.

That's the problem with Americans today, being stupid is a point of pride. We used to lead the world in education, now we're an embarrassment.
No, the problem is that the stupid people don't think they're the stupid ones. But yes, in America today, education is not a commodity governments place high on the priority list. Corporate welfare and military spending are.

Reactions: topherchris20
No, the problem is that the stupid people don't think they're the stupid ones. But yes, in America today, education is not a commodity governments place high on the priority list. Corporate welfare and military spending are.
Bet you're a blast at parties

CMac's leadership will be critical. If he can keep shooting the 3 ball at 35%+ - he could play 12-15 minutes per game but see him being more situational at either point guard or power forward. He has limitations of course, but can be valuable in B1G road games especially.
I seem him more in the role he was in this year where he played forward spots mostly. I doubt he'll be the pg but he will sometimes bring thd ball up if pressure dictates that. He rarely turns the ball over.

Trying to sound smarter than someone while simultaneously arguing in favor of connor getting p5 minutes. Effing hilarious
Are you talking about yourself? You apparently think you sound smarter than the D1 coach who has won hundreds of games, just won the second most games in Iowa basketball history, just won the B10 tournament championship, who’s been piling up 20 win seasons….that might be the most arrogant and ignorant post I’ve seen….wow

Final stats show the 3 PT shooting % as follows:
Kris Murray. 40%
Keegan Murray 38%
J. Bo. 38%
C Mac 37.7%
P Sandifort 35%
Two of those guys are gone so I think we can use all the shooting we can find.
Connor's stats are misleading. Take away 2 games and he shot 26%. So you really want him shooting threes?

Are you talking about yourself? You apparently think you sound smarter than the D1 coach who has won hundreds of games, just won the second most games in Iowa basketball history, just won the B10 tournament championship, who’s been piling up 20 win seasons….that might be the most arrogant and ignorant post I’ve seen….wow

Also, but for the tournament cancellation Iowa would have four consecutive NCAA qualifications since Lute.

Connor's stats are misleading. Take away 2 games and he shot 26%. So you really want him shooting threes?
You can slice the stats many ways. In the Hawks 14-2 hot streak at the end of the year Connor had a high 3 PT %.
He is not a volume shooter, but if he can make 38% next with a healthy off season,finally, he can make them guard him out on the perimeter.
We need at least 3-4 high (38%) type shooters to spread the floor.

You can slice the stats many ways. In the Hawks 14-2 hot streak at the end of the year Connor had a high 3 PT %.
He is not a volume shooter, but if he can make 38% next with a healthy off season,finally, he can make them guard him out on the perimeter.

In the last 7 games of the season Connor was 2-14 from 3.

• Haha
Reactions: BrunoMars420
Lmao. What is it with older people and the love of a coaches son. Just like my 85 y/o parents. We are the only P5 team in the country he would get minutes on. Some of you are so blind its embarrassing.

Fran has done a great job and i love him but his misuse of minutes last season has been the only thing ive complained about of him since he's been here. It was an egregious error and if the fran fluffers dont see that, no use to keep arguing

Have a great Sunday!

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Lmao. What is it with older people and the love of a coaches son. Just like my 85 y/o parents. We are the only P5 team in the country he would get minutes on. Some of you are so blind its embarrassing.

Fran has done a great job and i love him but his misuse of minutes last season has been the only thing ive complained about of him since he's been here. It was an egregious error and if the fran fluffers dont see that, no use to keep arguing

Have a great Sunday!
It was an egregious error and if the fran fluffers dont see that, no use to keep arguing…….

Since it was so egregious and and so hard for some to see, please point out the specific games and the specific instances you’re talking about.

Have a great Sunday!
You do know what that term means, right? It makes little sense here but then again most of what you say does.

Reactions: PIEPI and perryhawk
And so for a 2 game stretch he shot 3/3 and 5or6/9. So he helps us a lot for 2 games and is a detriment for 31 other games. Sure, makes sense to me.....

And so for a 2 game stretch he shot 3/3 and 5or6/9. So he helps us a lot for 2 games and is a detriment for 31 other games. Sure, makes sense to me.....
You win. CMac sucks cuz the shots he made do not really count because they only helped win two games. His 37.8% from three for the season does not count like the rest of the team cuz he is CMac.

You win. CMac sucks cuz the shots he made do not really count because they only helped win two games. His 37.8% from three for the season does not count like the rest of the team cuz he is CMac.
He sucks cuz he shoots a career 34.6%Fg, 31% 3pt, and 73.6 FT. That’s an 134 game sample size.

I seem him more in the role he was in this year where he played forward spots mostly. I doubt he'll be the pg but he will sometimes bring thd ball up if pressure dictates that. He rarely turns the ball over.
Right, I stated PF + PG in no particular hierarchy, but with no JoBo and no Joe T, he will get some minutes at the point. Likely more time at the PF spot though. He really is a unique player in many rights, hard to put him in a traditional position "box." Especially if he can hit 3's at a decent clip.

Right, I stated PF + PG in no particular hierarchy, but with no JoBo and no Joe T, he will get some minutes at the point. Likely more time at the PF spot though. He really is a unique player in many rights, hard to put him in a traditional position "box." Especially if he can hit 3's at a decent clip.
I don't understand why people think he's a better fit at PF than the point. I would actually rather see Connor at the point than anywhere else. The strength of this team is at the forward position. Assuming Kris comes back you have him, Sandfort, Pmac and Rebraca filling 3 forward spots. If Fran gets his man off the portal that would be 5 quality players at those spots. Connor is not a strong rebounder and is undersized defensively at that position. He only scored three 2 point buckets all year so he's not going to contribute inside relative to the others at that spot.

Connor is not a 2. That's a shooter/ scoring position and I think Perkins showed last year that he is capable of performing at a high level at that spot. Hopefully Perkins makes a similar jump in his level of play like he did this year. That leaves the team's biggest unknown today which is point guard. Connor's greatest strengths are decision making, passing, and ball security. Those attributes can be leveraged more effectively at the pg position than anywhere else on the court. He's not going to create opportunities by breaking down a defense, but he also won't turn it over. He just needs to knock down a few 3's to keep the defense honest.

I don't understand why people think he's a better fit at PF than the point. I would actually rather see Connor at the point than anywhere else. The strength of this team is at the forward position. Assuming Kris comes back you have him, Sandfort, Pmac and Rebraca filling 3 forward spots. If Fran gets his man off the portal that would be 5 quality players at those spots. Connor is not a strong rebounder and is undersized defensively at that position. He only scored three 2 point buckets all year so he's not going to contribute inside relative to the others at that spot.

Connor is not a 2. That's a shooter/ scoring position and I think Perkins showed last year that he is capable of performing at a high level at that spot. Hopefully Perkins makes a similar jump in his level of play like he did this year. That leaves the team's biggest unknown today which is point guard. Connor's greatest strengths are decision making, passing, and ball security. Those attributes can be leveraged more effectively at the pg position than anywhere else on the court. He's not going to create opportunities by breaking down a defense, but he also won't turn it over. He just needs to knock down a few 3's to keep the defense honest.
He isn't a first choice nor a starter by any means at forward, but he can defend it. If PMac or Kris get in foul trouble, he's a viable option there. Not necessarily the best option offensively, of course, but defensively. If Payton comes along defensively like I hope he can, he'd be a better option if offense is needed. But with the guards Iowa has coming back and in new next year (Ahron, Tony, Dasonte and Josh), I'd rather see them on the court than CMac as guards.

He isn't a first choice nor a starter by any means at forward, but he can defend it. If PMac or Kris get in foul trouble, he's a viable option there. Not necessarily the best option offensively, of course, but defensively. If Payton comes along defensively like I hope he can, he'd be a better option if offense is needed. But with the guards Iowa has coming back and in new next year (Ahron, Tony, Dasonte and Josh), I'd rather see them on the court than CMac as guards.
As of today I'd prefer that Sandfort get extended minutes at the forward spots if available. Better rebounder and scorer.

we better keep spending on military with all the money we create for china!

we could prolly give a little less corporate welfare, but they have all that fuel to buy for their yachts...those poor bastards!

As of today I'd prefer that Sandfort get extended minutes at the forward spots if available. Better rebounder and scorer.
He's still learning but he sure showed a lot more than I expected last season. I hope he takes a big step forward next year!

if he's shooting 38% people aren't gonna stay 20ft away from him, even those he struggles with sometimes. he's not here to be a shooter, period.

you think he's a good 3pt shooter???
Missed the point completely.......The argument was that you take out those two games where he shot really well and his percentage drops...duhhh. Take out two games where he missed his 3s and his percentage goes up...Get it? You can't take out those two games and make a legit argument. You can factor in other MAJOR issues, such as: How much will the shot improve if he works on it all off season since he's no longer in baseball? How much better will his shot be since he's not recovering from a significant injury (for the first time) in the off season and can work on his shot with out those glitches? He clearly has pretty good mechanics based on his free throw shooting.

Listen, I apologize if this comes off like I'm picking on you or something......it's just that these arguments that show such limited depth of thought seem to ask for a response.

Missed the point completely.......The argument was that you take out those two games where he shot really well and his percentage drops...duhhh. Take out two games where he missed his 3s and his percentage goes up...Get it? You can't take out those two games and make a legit argument. You can factor in other MAJOR issues, such as: How much will the shot improve if he works on it all off season since he's no longer in baseball? How much better will his shot be since he's not recovering from a significant injury (for the first time) in the off season and can work on his shot with out those glitches? He clearly has pretty good mechanics based on his free throw shooting.

Listen, I apologize if this comes off like I'm picking on you or something......it's just that these arguments that show such limited depth of thought seem to ask for a response.
USUALLY I AGREE WITH THIS THINKING.....BUT you're not accounting for the fact that nobody was in his area code by then, he could take 3 hours to shoot. counting that is quite misleading. Once teams started to at least consider guarding him he was back to missing most of em.

If we are expecting him to be a shooter, we're in trouble. He can help the team, but not that way....

Likewise. I thought he had some terrific moments later in conference play.
Hate to pylon (😉), but he really seemed to improve leaps and bounds as the season went along. I wish we had seen more of him but I am glad he got the minutes he did. I really think that he could be a major factor in next season's team's success.

Last edited:
USUALLY I AGREE WITH THIS THINKING.....BUT you're not accounting for the fact that nobody was in his area code by then, he could take 3 hours to shoot. counting that is quite misleading. Once teams started to at least consider guarding him he was back to missing most of em.

If we are expecting him to be a shooter, we're in trouble. He can help the team, but not that way....
This is my opinion only…I don’t claim basketball expertise.

When he’s wide open is the ONLY time he typically needs to hit a good percentage…that’s the thing, Connor is best at facilitating…..making the offense flow.

Consequently he simply needs to be a threat so that the other team has to guard him on the perimeter. When they sag off of him and plug up the lane….that’s when he hurts the team. That’s when the offense gets plugged up…when it doesn’t flow.

When he plays 15-20 and on occasion 25 minutes it’s typically because we have foul trouble or the team isn’t responding to what the opponent is doing. To me, this is where he’s most valuable. He gets his teammates where they need to be and doing what they need to do.

It’s in that “limited” role that he’s very effective. If those that hate on him think he’s supposed to be some big scorer it’s a mistake on their part.

ADVERTISEMENT