ADVERTISEMENT

Connor officially back

This is my opinion only…I don’t claim basketball expertise.

When he’s wide open is the ONLY time he typically needs to hit a good percentage…that’s the thing, Connor is best at facilitating…..making the offense flow.

Consequently he simply needs to be a threat so that the other team has to guard him on the perimeter. When they sag off of him and plug up the lane….that’s when he hurts the team. That’s when the offense gets plugged up…when it doesn’t flow.

When he plays 15-20 and on occasion 25 minutes it’s typically because we have foul trouble or the team isn’t responding to what the opponent is doing. To me, this is where he’s most valuable. He gets his teammates where they need to be and doing what they need to do.

It’s in that “limited” role that he’s very effective. If those that hate on him think he’s supposed to be some big scorer it’s a mistake on their part.
Agreed

I honestly think Joe T would have played more minutes on most teams. Sure he made errors but he was awesome a lot of the time too and I think would have matured faster if given full control.

I honestly think Joe T would have played more minutes on most teams. Sure he made errors but he was awesome a lot of the time too and I think would have matured faster if given full control.
You mean.. if you let players play, they get better?! Amazing!

Going to admit I think Cmac has played at the expense of others in the past. Not afraid to admit I’m glad he came back as we need him for depth and the guy just knows what he’s doing. I don’t want him out there more than 12-15 minutes a game but I’ll admit I’m glad he’s back.

Going to admit I think Cmac has played at the expense of others in the past. Not afraid to admit I’m glad he came back as we need him for depth and the guy just knows what he’s doing. I don’t want him out there more than 12-15 minutes a game but I’ll admit I’m glad he’s back.
coach on the floor….. he has a vital role and he’s perfect for it

Future coach material...

If CMac can continue to knock down those threes, it makes this team much much better. Teams can't sag off of him at this point. Opens things up for dribble drives from other players.

Conner had a couple of really nice passes last night also,.. His game usually makes everyone else look better.

Reactions: owenhawk
Conner had a couple of really nice passes last night also,.. His game usually makes everyone else look better.
If people understand the game and realize you need players like CMac to be a very good team - especially with a program like Iowa that isn't able to bring in a bunch of Top 50 players ready to contribute right away - then they would never have had problem with him seeing the floor.

He is an extremely valuable role player. He is tough mentally, has a high bball IQ, can guard 4 positions, is a really good passer and post-feeder, can handle the ball, and can rebound decently. If he hits open 3's, just makes him that much more valuable.

And it's not like he was ever logging starter minutes. He was 8th on the team in minutes last year. And he is a guy you definitely want in at the end of games with a lead.

Reactions: longliveCS40
I've had my issues with his playing time the past few years but I don't see that as an issue this year with the short rotation. He's going to play a huge role and i really like the way he's being utilized early on. He's always been the same guy but with this young team, with no other longstanding players, is finally a perfect role for him. Think he's gonna have the best year of his career

Reactions: littlez
If people understand the game and realize you need players like CMac to be a very good team - especially with a program like Iowa that isn't able to bring in a bunch of Top 50 players ready to contribute right away - then they would never have had problem with him seeing the floor.

He is an extremely valuable role player. He is tough mentally, has a high bball IQ, can guard 4 positions, is a really good passer and post-feeder, can handle the ball, and can rebound decently. If he hits open 3's, just makes him that much more valuable.

And it's not like he was ever logging starter minutes. He was 8th on the team in minutes last year. And he is a guy you definitely want in at the end of games with a lead.
Exactly what I was saying last year. In last night's game, he really avoided shooting, only taking and making one shot (3 pointer) and making both ends of a 1 and 1.

Reactions: owenhawk
ADVERTISEMENT