ADVERTISEMENT

Cons; Would you throw your parents off Medicare? I would

Neither party has any desire to give an inch on balancing the budget. Higher taxes and spending cuts are needed. The GOP won’t raise taxes and won’t cut spending and the Dems won’t cut spending.

OP proves time and time again why everyone in his life walked away from him and he will die miserable and alone.

Neither party has any desire to give an inch on balancing the budget. Higher taxes and spending cuts are needed. The GOP won’t raise taxes and won’t cut spending and the Dems won’t cut spending.

Citizen's United. The root of nearly all evil politically.

Reactions: Ree4
Gee.....and “the providers” wouldn’t figure this out Nd charge appropriately!
You do realize that Medicare fees are set by the federal government and the providers don't set them. Then insurance companies negotiate the fees they are going to pay as a percent of Medicare. Blue cross might pay 130% of medicare, United 140%, Cigna 125% etc.

You do realize that Medicare fees are set by the federal government and the providers don't set them. Then insurance companies negotiate the fees they are going to pay as a percent of Medicare. Blue cross might pay 130% of medicare, United 140%, Cigna 125% etc.
Exactly…
But what happens if no providers sign up? And he’s talking about a scenario where “universal insurance”might be the only answer..

So what do you think FICA is?
FICA pays for current Part A expenditures., basically, those with earnings are paying 2.9% tax for Medicare Part A.
Part B and C are primarily funded with General Revenues. Todays earnings are supporting todays Medicare expenditures.
Joel thinks his portion of 2.9% over the past 40 years is a contribution to his Medicare coverage, which is not how it works

OK… tell me “how it works”? What is that “MediCare” contribution deduction on my paychecks for them? ( Part of your SS contribution goes expressly to MediCare. )
You still have paychecks? pay federal taxes? If so, you are "contributing"

I do believe there are cuts that can and should be made to the defense budget. I was just being as ridiculous as the OP.
Yes, it is insane how much has been wasted and mismanaged over the past 70 years. Just think about the cost of all those nukes we don't need and will never use. Throw in some senseless wars and the military's endless need to have the latest/most advanced weapons. I know some of this is necessary, but it has really gotten out of hand. We definitely keep the defense contractors happy.

FICA pays for current Part A expenditures., basically, those with earnings are paying 2.9% tax for Medicare Part A.
Part B and C are primarily funded with General Revenues. Todays earnings are supporting todays Medicare expenditures.
Joel thinks his portion of 2.9% over the past 40 years is a contribution to his Medicare coverage, which is not how it works
:rolleyes:

Joel never said “his” coverage....I was however contributing to MediCare via my paycheck deduction for 40+ years....and with paying my annual tax bill....which I still do pay via income taxes. These contributions today are indeed for MY MediCare as I am a current user of the insurance...and a lusty contributor to the Feds via my income taxes.

We should all have the option to be on Medicare for a price that is more than what those currently on it now pay.
It is kind of expensive actually. Anyone on Medicare spent 50 years or so making payments. In return they receive 80% of a paid up Healthcare policy at age 65. In my case, I have since been paying $375 or so monthly for the other 20% of the policy ... plus co-pays and deductible's.

The inference is that for 100% of the coverage, the rate would be $1875 a month or $22,500 a year.

Notably, in 11 years, I have only received more than this number in claimed benefits once. I would argue that I am subsidizing others so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
It is kind of expensive actually. Anyone on Medicare spent 50 years or so making payments. In return they receive 80% of a paid up Healthcare policy at age 65. In my case, I have since been paying $375 or so monthly for the other 20% of the policy ... plus co-pays and deductables.
Yes, but if we added younger people, at higher rates, itv would still work, plus no profit motives for Medicare.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT