ADVERTISEMENT

Cook from Ft. Dodge

mr12182

HR MVP
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2009
2 questions: Did he win last night vs SEPolk and is he a D-1 level wrestler that we are recruiting? TIA

Yes he won by pin. He's received several scholarship offers to D-1 but none from Iowa. I heard Stanford and Oklahoma have offered. Last I heard, he still wants to try to play D1 football if he gets an offer.

SEP is weak at that weight. It would have been interesting to see him go up a weight to wrestle Andersen. SEP won a pretty tight dual. FD Tristan Lara did take down #1 Nathan Lendt 7-4.

I predict FD wins the state championship and SEP wins the state duals. SEP appears to have some more depth while FD has some real firepower at the top end with three #1 ranked guys after this week and several top 5s.

Last edited:
Yes he won by pin. He's received several scholarship offers to D-1 but none from Iowa. I heard Stanford and Oklahoma have offered. Last I heard, he still wants to try to play D1 football if he gets an offer.

SEP is weak at that weight. It would have been interesting to see him go up a weight to wrestle Andersen. SEP won a pretty tight dual. FD Tristan Lara did take down #1 Nathan Lendt 7-4.

I predict FD wins the state championship and SEP wins the state duals. SEP appears to have some more depth while FD has some real firepower at the top end with three #1 ranked guys after this week and several top 5s.
I noticed yesterday they are both in the Top 50 High School rankings on Intermat.

Would you happen to know if an old friend, Joe Zuspan still lives in the Fort Dod

Would you happen to know if an old friend of mine, Joe Zuspann, still lives in Oklahoma. I believe he coached at Lawton.

I didn't know Joe Zuspann however there are a number of Zuspann's that live in the Fort Dodge area. I'm sure they are related.

I remember watching Joe wrestle for the Clones back in the 70's, along with studs like Mike Land, Kelly Ward, Willie Gadson, and Frank Santana. Man, those were some tough ISU teams. Those were truly the golden years of Iowa-ISU wrestling, with a home-and-home each year and a packed house for both meets.

I remember watching Joe wrestle for the Clones back in the 70's, along with studs like Mike Land, Kelly Ward, Willie Gadson, and Frank Santana. Man, those were some tough ISU teams. Those were truly the golden years of Iowa-ISU wrestling, with a home-and-home each year and a packed house for both meets.
Indeed it was. Which is why I'm an advocate for ISU getting their shit together to make those memorable events again. Anyway..................

I remember watching Zuspann as well (he was at ISU when I was in H.S.), and many other Fort Dodge guys living in NW Iowa over the years. They sent several guys to Iowa State over the years I believe, but very few if any I can recall going to Iowa.

Based on what I found from Al Gore's Google Machine............................................I would assume Joe Zuspann is still in the Lawton, OK area. Came across an engagement announcement for a daughter that apparently went to OU and got married in 2007 (which stated Grandpa and Grandma lived in Fort Dodge, IA), so he'd been around there for a long time it appears, and went there initially to be a Wrestling Coach for a newer H.S. program in the early 80's. Was an assistant with Carl Adams at Boston U and wanted to get the hell out of the city, which I can't blame him! So off to Oklahoma he went.

Here's the article about when he first arrived in Lawton. Good stuff.

http://newsok.com/article/2051567

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT