ADVERTISEMENT

Real Woods > Spencer Lee??

Mendoza77

HR MVP
Jan 31, 2015
Did you watch the interview of Spencer last week, with Barstool Sports? It was in some thread on here, but I don't recall which one, so I'm posting it below - great interview! He refutes any idea that he was injured, and gives major credit to Matt Ramos.

Near the end of the interview, at 36:15, he states that Real Woods is "unreal good - I don't even like wrestling him, he's so good, it's painful. You guys have no clue - he's the best wrestler I've ever touched in my entire life - he's disgustingly good, it's actually terrifying. Him not winning is baffling."

Wow, I recognize that Real is an outstanding wrestler, but now I'm looking at him in a different perspective. It's possible no one comes close to him next year - big time domination.

Did you watch the interview of Spencer last week, with Barstool Sports? It was in some thread on here, but I don't recall which one, so I'm posting it below - great interview! He refutes any idea that he was injured, and gives major credit to Matt Ramos.

Near the end of the interview, at 36:15, he states that Real Woods is "unreal good - I don't even like wrestling him, he's so good, it's painful. You guys have no clue - he's the best wrestler I've ever touched in my entire life - he's disgustingly good, it's actually terrifying. Him not winning is baffling."

Wow, I recognize that Real is an outstanding wrestler, but now I'm looking at him in a different perspective. It's possible no one comes close to him next year - big time domination.

Perspective is key here. Although Woods is really good and was a combination of a questionable call and a bad decision from winning it all, that 16 lb difference between their weight classes has much to do with the "painful" part. I really like Woods style and do expect him to win next year, but, at their best(p4p), I would still have Lee ahead of him by a comfortable margin.

There is a bit of subtlety to what I think Spencer said about this. He did not refute the idea that he is injured or that at 100% at all. What he did say was his health is not an excuse for why he lost. He does not want an * next to the match because he totally respect Ramos and does not want his accomplishment overshadowed. This really speaks to Spencer's character imo.

I don't think Spencer has wrestled a lot of the top guys ever at weights above probably 133 or so and certainly not lately. He probably scrapped with Eiermann and maybe Lugo but beyond that I doubt it. He's not touched a guy like Yiani or Lee or even RBY.

There is a bit of subtlety to what I think Spencer said about this. He did not refute the idea that he is injured or that at 100% at all. What he did say was his health is not an excuse for why he lost. He does not want an * next to the match because he totally respect Ramos and does not want his accomplishment overshadowed. This really speaks to Spencer's character imo.

I don't think Spencer has wrestled a lot of the top guys ever at weights above probably 133 or so and certainly not lately. He probably scrapped with Eiermann and maybe Lugo but beyond that I doubt it. He's not touched a guy like Yiani or Lee or even RBY.
He’s dismantled a guy that dismantled RBY though. Just sayin’…

I just think his knees aren’t fully recovered double ACL reconstructions is pretty traumatic……. I felt all along he was pushing it coming back so soon but obviously he wanted to get the fourth and be done with college wrestling and rushed it…… or he might just never be 💯 again…… that or he doesn’t trust them yet

as far as MF out of tournament…..my take is he only wrestled this season to make history and once that was off the table he just decided he was through….. to me he just seemed like he didn’t enjoy this season at all and was just toughing it out

of course that’s a big ole pile of conjecture cause it’s all my speculation

I just think his knees aren’t fully recovered double ACL reconstructions is pretty traumatic……. I felt all along he was pushing it coming back so soon but obviously he wanted to get the fourth and be done with college wrestling and rushed it…… or he might just never be 💯 again…… that or he doesn’t trust them yet

as far as MF out of tournament…..my take is he only wrestled this season to make history and once that was off the table he just decided he was through….. to me he just seemed like he didn’t enjoy this season at all and was just toughing it out

of course that’s a big ole pile of conjecture cause it’s all my speculation
I think you nailed it. Ready or not he was going for number 4 and that was it. The cut was brutal without being able to train like others and he was ready to move on from college wrestling. He was just as healthy when he lost as he was most of the year, which was probably not close to 100% or he could have trained like he wanted. Once he lost, that was it. He didn't struggle through the last couple years to get 3rd. Call him a quitter if you want ( I would say he is exactly the opposite of that), but he was ready for the next biggest thing when his 4 title run ended. Freestyle is what he moved on to and I'm glad he is still able to compete, even if he isn't 100% and may never be. Kid deserves some good luck in the future.

Last edited:
He also dismantled Yianni as a kid, multiple times I think.

Also, as stated above, he did not say he was not injured, he simply said an injury wasn't why he lost. He also alluded to not being healthy at least a couple times during that interview.
It's worth reiterating this nuance. Never did Spencer say he wasn't still battling physical limitations related to prior injuries (frankly, I think it's clear that he was and still is). He just wasn't willing to use that as an excuse. Indeed, it was clear from his comments that he's not where he'd like to be physically. He just wasn't going to make excuses, and he wanted to make sure to give props to Ramos for wrestling one hell of a match, which he did.

The elite D1 college wrestling schedule is a grind. The freestyle schedule isn't remotely close to as grueling. Hopefully a year on the freestyle schedule allows Spencer's body to get as close to 100% as it can, and he can unleash holy hell on the 57 kg weight class leading up to Paris 2024. And hopefully that process begins at the US Open.

RBY beat the guy that pinned Spencer Lee 11-3. Just sayin'...
See Ya Goodbye GIF by One Day At A Time

Wow guys, I thought this was going to be a cool thread about Real Woods, based on Spencer's really high praise for him. Makes me not want to post threads anymore. :confused:
You had a couple things working against you. First, Spencer is the most popular topic on this forum — there is no way a thread related to him isn’t going to start focusing on him. Second, it is difficult to buy what Spencer was selling when Woods is DNP-6-2 in his career at Nationals. It’s kind of mind-boggling what Spencer was
saying, unless he’s just going off a small sample. Don’t get me wrong — Real is really good, but his numbers don’t equate to elite status.

You had a couple things working against you. First, Spencer is the most popular topic on this forum — there is no way a thread related to him isn’t going to start focusing on him. Second, it is difficult to buy what Spencer was selling when Woods is DNP-6-2 in his career at Nationals. It’s kind of mind-boggling what Spencer was
saying, unless he’s just going off a small sample. Don’t get me wrong — Real is really good, but his numbers don’t equate to elite status.
I might be wrong but I don’t think Spencer was going off his experience of wrestling the DNP version of Real in the practice room. TBD of how far back this poaching goes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT