ADVERTISEMENT

Cooper DeJean (6'1", 200lbs) Will Star at Safety/Cash. Ran 10.66 in 100M. Adidas Nat'l Player of the Year & An All American + Video Highlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out the difference between Cooper & Xavier. Cooper is just shy of a foot longer than Xavier.

And Cooper would have won Class 4A (the winner jumped 2 inches less, at 23'5.50")

23'7.50" -- Cooper DeJean (Class 2A)

22' 7.75" -- Xavier Nwankpa (Class 4A). He finished in 4th place. This jump puts him at #2 all time in SE Polk history.

22'2.00" -- Tamin Lipsey, PG Recruit (Class 4A)

Check it out & watch:

Check out the difference between Cooper & Xavier. Cooper is just shy of a foot longer than Xavier.

And Cooper would have won Class 4A (the winner jumped 2 inches less, at 23'5.50")

23'7.50" -- Cooper DeJean (Class 2A)

22' 7.75" -- Xavier Nwankpa (Class 4A). He finished in 4th place. This jump puts him at #2 all time in SE Polk history.

22'2.00" -- Tamin Lipsey, PG Recruit (Class 4A)

Check it out & watch:

This makes me question why xavier is rated so much higher than cooper. I understand the level of competition thing but besides cooper being way more productive on the football field he's also faster & more athletic after watching his jumps & basketball highlights plus their measurables are almost identical. Could you imagine those two together in our secondary in a few years?

Last edited:
This makes me question why xavier is rated so much higher than cooper. I understand the level of competition thing but besides being way more productive on the football field he's also faster & more athletic after watching his jumps & basketball highlights plus their measurables are almost identical. Could you imagine those two together in our secondary in a few years?

Talk about a couple ball Hawks!

Reactions: Tytyhawk
Not too shabby for a Class 2A athlete.

And apparently he beat the the best 3A time in the 100.

And as we know, he would have won the Class 4A Long Jump as well.

He could win the whole State meet for OABCIG all by himself, practically
Kid from Bellevue (Grable) won the 3200, 1600, 800 and one of the relays. 40 points for his team in 2A, which is DeJean’s class. I also watched him win the 1A cross country title last year. He’s a great runner. It was a fun state track meet this year.
I saw most of DeJean’s competitions and he looked great. Looks like the real deal.

Reactions: grhawk
That Bartels kid from Kennedy is impressive. He was pretty good in football too. I wonder if Iowa football took a look at him?

Arland has a message for Cooper.

I just wish Cooper had early enrolled.

I don’t blame any kid like cooper who stayed to compete one last time in spring sports like track or baseball in the summer. Another thing is our secondary is loaded so Cooper is most likely going to be a red shirt or complete in 4 or under games.

However guys like Bruce and Keagan who can possibly see the field and play next year makes lot more sense enrolling earlier. End of the day no real right or wrong answer on anyone who enrolls early. Only problem i’d ever have is if a kid was pressured to enroll early which I don’t see happening with our staff.

I don’t blame any kid like cooper who stayed to compete one last time in spring sports like track or baseball in the summer. Another thing is our secondary is loaded so Cooper is most likely going to be a red shirt or complete in 4 or under games.

However guys like Bruce and Keagan who can possibly see the field and play next year makes lot more sense enrolling earlier. End of the day no real right or wrong answer on anyone who enrolls early. Only problem i’d ever have is if a kid was pressured to enroll early which I don’t see happening with our staff.

good points. good for Cooper to experience his full senior season & leave as a legend.

Reactions: TKingpin
Kid from Bellevue (Grable) won the 3200, 1600, 800 and one of the relays. 40 points for his team in 2A, which is DeJean’s class. I also watched him win the 1A cross country title last year. He’s a great runner. It was a fun state track meet this year.
I saw most of DeJean’s competitions and he looked great. Looks like the real deal.
Lots of great stories out of the state track meet. A freshman girl from Mid-Prairie won the 3000, 1500 and anchored a relay championship. She was also the cross country champion. It’s the fifth straight 1500 state championship for her immediate family and 15th state championship overall.

Lots of great stories out of the state track meet. A freshman girl from Mid-Prairie won the 3000, 1500 and anchored a relay championship. She was also the cross country champion. It’s the fifth straight 1500 state championship for her immediate family and 15th state championship overall.

nice to see full crowds there, too, cheering them on

Reactions: T. Kimball
Yeah, my daughter was in all of her races. We knew the Hostetler girl would win them all. Her sister won several titles. I believe her dad is the coach at mid prairie.

RBs need a quick first 5-10 steps, elite balance and usually low center of gravity. If Cooper's got all that, by all means he should get a try at RB.
Former QBs, especially tall, fast ones have great potential at safety. They see the whole field well, have a feel for what the opposing offense/QB is doing and can get to the right spot quickly. That's why I'm thinking he could b a great safety

Me personally, if I was a kid I would go offense if I can see playing time the same either way. More glory, etc and eventually if you make pros, more money.

From a google search, it appears Dwight's best 100M time was 10.2; Adam Huluska, interesting enough, ran a 10.1
Probable.
I remember andy brodell running pretty well also.
When i lived in iowa me and my brother attended drake relays and/or state meet about 25 years in a row.
Fantastic memories.

Last edited:
how'd your daughter do?
First year of track for her and she had a great year but faltered a bit at state. She came in with some lofty expectations and just had a bad weekend. Sometimes you have it, sometimes you don’t. Looking forward to a fun senior year of cross country and track. The future is bright for her. Thanks for asking!

First year of track for her and she had a great year but faltered a bit at state. She came in with some lofty expectations and just had a bad weekend. Sometimes you have it, sometimes you don’t. Looking forward to a fun senior year of cross country and track. The future is bright for her. Thanks for asking!

For sure!

And a great learning experience for her!!!

@MepoDawg# , did Cooper run any faster this year than 10.66?

That's the fastest time I saw this track season.

And like you said, this time was faster throughout the year then any 4A sprinter.

Pretty impressive for a 2A kid.

i wonder why Adam never ran track in college; it just seemed easy / natural for him

Alford was very opposed to two sport players generally, with one real notable exception where he ignored Kirk and let that dufus Buetjer play basketball after Kirk made it publicly clear he did not want it.

Cannot say Alford was entirely wrong on this in general. College is where you probably should be down to one sport. Unless you're George McGinnis who probably could have made even more money in football. I remember reading, I think in Sporting News, that George was AA in both football and HS and had as many football offers. Of course, that was in like 1969 and my memory may not be perfect after 52 years.

Legend, hop on that research. How many football offers did George McGinnis have?

@MepoDawg# , did Cooper run any faster this year than 10.66?

That's the fastest time I saw this track season.

And like you said, this time was faster throughout the year then any 4A sprinter.

Pretty impressive for a 2A kid.
Don’t think so. He ran 10.71 at districts.

Alford was very opposed to two sport players generally, with one real notable exception where he ignored Kirk and let that dufus Buetjer play basketball after Kirk made it publicly clear he did not want it.

Cannot say Alford was entirely wrong on this in general. College is where you probably should be down to one sport. Unless you're George McGinnis who probably could have made even more money in football. I remember reading, I think in Sporting News, that George was AA in both football and HS and had as many football offers. Of course, that was in like 1969 and my memory may not be perfect after 52 years.

Legend, hop on that research. How many football offers did George McGinnis have?
I guess I had forgotten about Alfraud's policies ;)

RBs need a quick first 5-10 steps, elite balance and usually low center of gravity. If Cooper's got all that, by all means he should get a try at RB.
Former QBs, especially tall, fast ones have great potential at safety. They see the whole field well, have a feel for what the opposing offense/QB is doing and can get to the right spot quickly. That's why I'm thinking he could b a great safety

yeah, it would be a shocker if he ended up switching positions

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT