ADVERTISEMENT

Cooper DeJean (6'1", 200lbs) Will Star at Safety/Cash. Ran 10.66 in 100M. Adidas Nat'l Player of the Year & An All American + Video Highlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooper was the best Athlete on the field for the Shrine game and dominated as QB. I know he’s not a prototypical Iowa QB but I wish they’d give him a shot.

Reactions: RomanHawk
You are either the world's biggest AH or you are drunk. Or maybe both, GTFO

Use your brain for a second.

You seem to think that Iowa runs tons of Wildcat plays. We don't.

You also seem to think Iowa does not have players on offense who can run the wild cat WHEN WE DO RUN IT. We do.

You also seem to think Cooper needs to play cash, safety, and wild cat in college. He doesn't.

Cooper had 2 offers to play QB. He turned both of those schools down. Why do you think that is?

That's the problem. You aren't thinking. So, you are either the world's biggest dumb ass or drunk. Or maybe both. GTFO.

Hahahaha. Oh man…

The person behind Franisdaman is a Loser. If you’re married, I bet your wife knows you’re a loser that spends all his time on Hawkeye Report.

Says the Loser Hick in Arkansas who spends all his time on Hawkeye Report.

Can't wait for the next stupid thing you type.

Cooper is arguably a better athlete than a few of the defensive backs that Phil has put in the NFL.

If he follows the Phil Parker plan, Cooper will skip his senior season to enter the NFL Draft.

You can put money on it.

Reactions: Rocket98
@percyland , @JerseyCityHawki @WSC72 @RomanHawk @nu2u @CRWash63 @SLarew

I posted what follows on May 26.

Matt Bain & Chad Leistikow discussed Cooper on the HawkCentral KXNO radio program that night.

Note that Drake wanted Cooper to play basketball.

Virginia, UNI and South Dakota State recruited Cooper as a QB.

Matt Bain addressed why Cooper would NOT be playing QB as a dual threat QB at Iowa. Iowa runs a pro style offense so the plan has always been that Iowa will use him in the secondary.

Tyler Barnes said they went over this with Cooper, his HS coach & his parents & they pointed to 4 names: Micah Hyde, Amani Hooker, Desmond King and Tyler Sash. All 4 had the ball in their hands a lot in HS but Iowa turned them ALL into elite defensive backs. So, this is the vision Iowa has for Cooper.

Matt said Cooper screams the cash position because Iowa likes to put its best athletes at the cash position.

They discuss Cooper at the 7:40 mark.

That podcast is here:

Last edited:
Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
@Franisdaman I get the feeling that you do not think Cooper should be utilized on offense?

I think the coaches know what they are doing. And as you can see 2 posts above, Cooper, Cooper's coach and Cooper's parents agree with the Iowa coaches.

As you can see:

* Tyler Barnes said they went over this with Cooper, his HS coach & his parents & they pointed to 4 names: Micah Hyde, Amani Hooker, Desmond King and Tyler Sash. All 4 had the ball in their hands a lot in HS but Iowa turned them ALL into elite defensive backs. So, this is the vision Iowa has for Cooper.

* Matt Bain said Cooper screams the cash position because Iowa likes to put its best athletes at the cash position.

cc: @SLarew

Reactions: F5n5
Just an FYI, not a good look Fran. It's this type of thread that makes people not want to post/read websites. If your goal is to stifle people presenting thoughts and opinions then consider this a goal accomplished. In my opinion it's not what this board is set up to be. An yes, I am fully aware of what the coaches plans are. That part at this point in time is miniscule in comparison to your responses.

@DodgerHawki

I agree with you. As I stated in May, there were no other major schools who were recruiting him as a QB.

Virginia, UNI and South Dakota State were the only schools who recruited Cooper as a QB.

Drake wanted Cooper to play basketball.

Matt Bain in that May podcast why Cooper would NOT be playing QB as a dual threat QB at Iowa. Iowa runs a pro style offense so the plan has always been that Iowa will use him in the secondary.

Tyler Barnes said they went over this with Cooper, his HS coach & his parents & they pointed to 4 names: Micah Hyde, Amani Hooker, Desmond King and Tyler Sash. All 4 had the ball in their hands a lot in HS but Iowa turned them ALL into elite defensive backs. So, this is the vision Iowa has for Cooper.

Matt said Cooper screams the cash position because Iowa likes to put its best athletes at the cash position.

If you think Cook /Derby/Cooper are analogous situations, you are clueless.
The only commonality is that they were all hs QBs.

It was obvious before they started, that Cook and Derby weren't P5 level QBs.
It's obvious before he starts, that Cooper could very well be.

They all were athletes. Derby and Cook were recruited as QBs but could've played other positions because of their athleticism and considered athletes by some recruiting services. Very similar to Rocky Lombardi. Derby was offered by Florida to play QB and recruited by Dan McCarney when he was on Meyer's staff. Arkansas brought Derby in to compete and played few games when the starter got hurt and only went to TE his last year to see the field. Derby was the backup at Iowa for a year so no it wasn't apparent they weren't P5 QBs from the get go. Not one school recruited Cooper to play QB unlike the other 2 and you are clueless to think because he dominated lower class Iowa HS being the best athlete on the field would automatically translate to being a good QB in the Big 10.

I agree with you. As I stated in May, there were no other major schools who were recruiting him as a QB.

Virginia, UNI and South Dakota State were the only schools who recruited Cooper as a QB.
Virginia is a major college football program. The Cavaliers have been playing major college football for more than 100 years and they are a member of the ACC, a major college football conference. You didn't know that?

Also, re-posting the exact same information in multiple threads over and over again is a very effective strategy. Someone will surely be convinced after reading the the same post with the exact same information for the 5th time ... the strategic use of bold face brings it all home.

Reactions: Tunadog
Just an FYI, not a good look Fran. It's this type of thread that makes people not want to post/read websites. If your goal is to stifle people presenting thoughts and opinions then consider this a goal accomplished. In my opinion it's not what this board is set up to be. An yes, I am fully aware of what the coaches plans are. That part at this point in time is miniscule in comparison to your responses.
BOOM.

There was never the slightest confusion as to what the coaches plans are for Cooper and what side of the ball our staff will play him.

The simple, playful opinion that the staff should consider playing this tremendous athlete as a wildcat QB somehow caused @Franisdaman to go off the deep end.

BOOM.

There was never the slightest confusion as to what the coaches plans are for Cooper and what side of the ball our staff will play him.

The simple, playful opinion that the staff should consider playing this tremendous athlete as a wildcat QB somehow caused @Franisdaman to go off the deep end.
Believe me, this isn't the first time fran has publically exhibited a red ass because a poster has posted a dissenting opinion..... his preferred methodology is to double down no matter how ridiculous his opinion and then parrot an attack on the poster in return. For the record, I would love to see DeJean used as a wildcat QB but I just don't think the coaches will let him play both ways.

Believe me, this isn't the first time fran has publically exhibited a red ass because a poster has posted a dissenting opinion..... his preferred methodology is to double down no matter how ridiculous his opinion and then parrot an attack on the poster in return. For the record, I would love to see DeJean used as a wildcat QB but I just don't think the coaches will let him play both ways.
I wouldn't say never. Goodson played Wildcat last year and I would bet 100% we will see him there again this year. If he has a great year and goes to the NFL, Iowa would still want to use the Wildcat occasionally.

KF has been more open to a lot that he used to not be open to. Bruce would be another guy who could be a potential Wildcat QB. He played QB in the largest high school class in Kansas, he can throw the ball a bit. Either he or Dejean would be potential Wildcat QB's. There may be others on the roster.

Reactions: BigOHawk
I wouldn't say never. Goodson played Wildcat last year and I would bet 100% we will see him there again this year. If he has a great year and goes to the NFL, Iowa would still want to use the Wildcat occasionally.

KF has been more open to a lot that he used to not be open to. Bruce would be another guy who could be a potential Wildcat QB. He played QB in the largest high school class in Kansas, he can throw the ball a bit. Either he or Dejean would be potential Wildcat QB's. There may be others on the roster.
I would live to see it. Goodson and Bruce play offense. DeJean plays defense and I don't think PP would be in favor as it would unnecessarily risk injury (with Goodson and Bruce as viable options). OTOH, King, Hyde and other DBs returned punts so it is just speculation on my part.

Reactions: WSC72
I would live to see it. Goodson and Bruce play offense. DeJean plays defense and I don't think PP would be in favor as it would unnecessarily risk injury (with Goodson and Bruce as viable options). OTOH, King, Hyde and other DBs returned punts so it is just speculation on my part.

Personally I’d like to see DeJean play some offense as well.

Reactions: BigOHawk
BOOM.

Again,

Why are you so obsessed with the wildcat where you think we run a ton of wild cat plays? News flash: We don't run a lot of wild cat plays. So, your opinion is ridiculous and ignorant from the very start.

Why do you think we don't have current players on offense who can run those few wild cat plays? Ever hear of Tyler Goodson, Tyrone Tracy and Arland Bruce? You think Cooper is shifty and can sling the ball around? Good grief. Have you forgotten about these 3 offensive players???

And lets face it. Cooper screams the cash position because Iowa likes to put its best athletes at the cash position.

Yes, Cooper is a tremendous athlete. Micah Hyde, Amani Hooker, Desmond King and Tyler Sash were all tremendous athletes, too. All 4 had the ball in their hands a lot in high school, just like Cooper, but Iowa turned them ALL into elite, NFL defensive backs.. So, this is the vision Iowa has for Cooper. Luckily, our coaches know what they are doing and are not ignorant like you two.

So, based on the above, why you would want Cooper to play safety, cash and wildcat in college has never made any sense.

Reactions: F5n5
Again,

Why are you so obsessed with the wildcat where you think we run a ton of wild cat plays? News flash: We don't run a lot of wild cat plays. So, your opinion is ridiculous and ignorant from the very start.

Why do you think we don't have current players on offense who can run those few wild cat plays? Ever hear of Tyler Goodson, Tyrone Tracy and Arland Bruce? You think Cooper is shifty and can sling the ball around? Good grief. Have you forgotten about these 3 offensive players???

And lets face it. Cooper screams the cash position because Iowa likes to put its best athletes at the cash position.

Yes, Cooper is a tremendous athlete. Micah Hyde, Amani Hooker, Desmond King and Tyler Sash were all tremendous athletes, too. All 4 had the ball in their hands a lot in high school, just like Cooper, but Iowa turned them ALL into elite, NFL defensive backs.. So, this is the vision Iowa has for Cooper. Luckily, our coaches know what they are doing and are not ignorant like you two.

So, based on the above, why you would want Cooper to play safety, cash and wildcat in college has never made any sense.

How many wildcat plays do we run a year? 5? 10? I’m not advocating one way or the other.

And please, no boldface type or repeated responses in your answer (that’s a direct challenge).

Reactions: Franisdaman

You would live to see it?

Boy, you are making so much sense today, as usual.

Use your brain for a second.

You seem to think that Iowa runs tons of Wildcat plays. We don't.

You also seem to think Iowa does not have players on offense who can run the wild cat WHEN WE DO RUN IT. We do.

You also seem to think Cooper needs to play cash, safety, and wild cat in college. He doesn't.

Cooper had 2 offers to play QB. He turned both of those schools down. Why do you think that is?

That's the problem. You aren't thinking. So, you are either the world's biggest dumb ass or drunk. Or maybe both. GTFO.
You are really messed up. You won't find a post of mine were I suggested or even mentioned Cooper playing wildcat or anything else about the wildcat. He needs to be given a shot at the QB position. You and others have claimed his level of competition precluded that. He proved you wrong Saturday.
Next you claimed he would make a great DB. Maybe so,, but a player needs to be given a chance at the position of most value. You are so dumb, you'd suggest putting a 5 star WR at long snapper because maybe he'd be a great long snapper. GF.

Cooper turned down others because he has always wanted to play at Iowa. It was not a position related decision.

Last edited:
How many wildcat plays do we run a year? 5? 10? I’m not advocating one way or the other.

And please, no boldface type or repeated responses in your answer (that’s a direct challenge).

That's my point. We don't run a ton of wild cat plays. And when we do? Listen to the buzz in Kinnick when Tyler Goodson lines up in wild cat. Do you think Tyler would want to sit out a wild cat play in favor of Cooper or anyone else? Of course he wouldn't. Also, imagine what the buzz will be when shifty Arland Bruce eventually lines up in wild cat.

The offense is in good hands. The coaches smartly are going to let Cooper focus on playing safety and cash. Hopefully we see him in at least 4 games. Simple as that.

He needs to be given a shot at the QB position. You and others have claimed his level of competition precluded that. He proved you wrong Saturday.
Next you claimed he would make a great DB. Maybe so,, but a player needs to be given a chance at the position of most value. You are so dumb, you'd suggest putting a 5 star WR at long snapper because he's maybe be a great long snapper. GF.

Cooper turned down others because he has always wanted to play at Iowa. It was not a position related decision.

Wow. Thank you for allowing me to quote all of your "takes."

I never said anything about his high school opponents. Just like I won't say one game on Saturday proved anyone correct.

You think Cooper MIGHT make a great DB?

You don't think a player being able to play safety & cash is of great value?

And you end with a WR / long snapper analogy to try to make your case?

And you call me dumb.

We ran at least 5 wildcat plays if not MORE just in the last drive of the Illinois game last year.

My take is he's a Hawk and will do very well wherever we put him and it's not out of the question that he switches positions in his career given PT, 2-deep, injuries, etc. That said, he could be a very good TE as well! Or maybe a RZ QB?

Reactions: WSC72
My take is he's a Hawk and will do very well wherever we put him and it's not out of the question that he switches positions in his career given PT, 2-deep, injuries, etc. That said, he could be a very good TE as well! Or maybe a RZ QB?
Red Zone QB?! I love it.

Fran, After trying to nicely say it I feel obligated to be a little more clear YOU ARE BEING A JACKWAGON IN THIS THREAD. Regurgitating what we already know doesn't change their opinion on them wanting to see him get an opportunity at QB. There are far better ways to approach the differing opinions that have been presented in this thread. The amusing part is when people have attempted to nicely point it out YOU DOUBLED DOWN ON THE JACKWAGON APPROACH.
You bring a ton of great things to this board. Apparently dealing with differing opinions is not one of them. Keep doing those good things, this thread is not one of those good things.

Reactions: HawkInArk
If Cooper is our best QB prospect, I expect the coaches will notice once he gets here and give him that chance. That said, I don't expect to see Cooper at QB.

I guess I am not sure how they will notice when he is not throwing the ball around to WRs but instead working with Phil and the defensive staff.

I just don't get all this QB and wildcat talk when it comes to Cooper.

So, we expect Cooper to be in the DB room and the QB room?

We expect him to know the cash position, the safety potion AND the QB position?

We expect Cooper to be able to play defense and then play offense, go the line of scrimmage and get Iowa in the right play?

Or is the expectation that he will "simply" switch to QB, give up on playing DB and start out as 4th string QB, hopefully beating out the 3 ahead of him? When do fans who have this "vision" project that happening? This year? Next year? And, until that happens, Cooper just sits and does not get on the field? Just doesn't sound like much of a "vision."

And have people with that "vision" forgotten about the very capable QBs already on our roster?

And if people still want him to "simply" play wildcat, do you think we should SIDELINE Tyler Goodson & Arland Bruce so that we can put Cooper in? You think they would be ok with that? Again, we don't run THAT MANY wildcat plays to begin with, and when we do, Tyler and Arland are going to have Kinnick buzzing.
Didn't realize that "I would like to see......" from the OP's had so much baggage attached to it. Thank you oh wise one for setting them straight, seeing the errors of their ways must have been painful but I am sure they appreciate you coming down off the mountain and providing this guidance.

Reactions: HawkinK.C.1
Didn't realize that "I would like to see......" from the OP's had so much baggage attached to it. Thank you oh wise one for setting them straight, seeing the errors of their ways must have been painful but I am sure they appreciate you coming down off the mountain and providing this guidance.

Facts matter, and it's clear there are a lot of errors and useless sarcasm when you post.

There was never any "I would like to see" to what I replied to.

What that person did type and what I did respond to, however, was this:

If Cooper is our best QB prospect, I expect the coaches will notice once he gets here and give him that chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT