ADVERTISEMENT

Cooper Koch

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
I liked Somerville and thought he was a decent player.

Me too, he was pretty good and would have contributed for sure. The rumor as I recall was he was unhappy of redshirting his freshman year and insisted on being guaranteed a starting position that next year and beyond. Alford refused so he left for Bradley.

Looks like Iowa offered him a scholly. Class of 2024, son of JR.

6'7" forward out of Peoria, IL.

E1IaUnHXMAc6drl

I always like to see legacy recruits come into the program. We’re all seeing how that’s playing out with Kenyon’s sons.

Interesting, I did a web search about him and the first article references Marcellus Somerville’s son as well. Both sons playing and practicing together in the Peoria area.

https://www.pjstar.com/story/sports...eshmen-prepared-by-famous-fathers/3888792001/

Let's offer both Lathan Sommerville AND Cooper Koch!

Marcellus can't hold a grudge against Iowa. That's ALL on Alford! I was really disappointed when Marcellus left...

Get those two, Wieskamp Jr and JMac. A team full of tall, Long, athletic and High basketball IQ Legacy players would be sweet!!!

Let's offer both Lathan Sommerville AND Cooper Koch!

Marcellus can't hold a grudge against Iowa. That's ALL on Alford! I was really disappointed when Marcellus left...

Get those two, Wieskamp Jr and JMac. A team full of tall, Long, athletic and High basketball IQ Legacy players would be sweet!!!
I’d take a Garza Jr over all of those combined

Reactions: amahawk
About 10 years ago I was on a flight back from Turkey I was wearing an Iowa shirt and lady with a young son told me that her husband went to Iowa. Turns out her husband was Marcellus Somerville She said that Marcellus left Iowa because things that Alford told Marcellus when recruiting him were not what was actually happening. She was impressive in that she didn't bad mouth Alford but was just factual. She also said she played college basketball but I don't remember if it was at Bradley. I assured the son that that we would love to have him at Iowa when he goes to college.

About 10 years ago I was on a flight back from Turkey I was wearing an Iowa shirt and lady with a young son told me that her husband went to Iowa. Turns out her husband was Marcellus Somerville She said that Marcellus left Iowa because things that Alford told Marcellus when recruiting him were not what was actually happening. She was impressive in that she didn't bad mouth Alford but was just factual. She also said she played college basketball but I don't remember if it was at Bradley. I assured the son that that we would love to have him at Iowa when he goes to college.
Looks like they are doing good things.

My recollection is that Bradley hired his high school coach as an assistant, but he could have been leaving Iowa regardless.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Me too, he was pretty good and would have contributed for sure. The rumor as I recall was he was unhappy of redshirting his freshman year and insisted on being guaranteed a starting position that next year and beyond. Alford refused so he left for Bradley.

He did not want to redshirt so Alford did it for him by never playing him. Imagine how much better the squad would be with Somerville taking Worley's minutes? Just another contaminated occurrence in Alford's toxic environment. For some reason got it in my head Somerville led the Valley in scoring, but could be wrong about that one.

Hope Lathan takes your advice and becomes a Hawkeye!! He is already bigger than his dad. Being that young it will take a little while to grow into that body.

He did not want to redshirt so Alford did it for him by never playing him. Imagine how much better the squad would be with Somerville taking Worley's minutes? Just another contaminated occurrence in Alford's toxic environment. For some reason got it in my head Somerville led the Valley in scoring, but could be wrong about that one.
Marcellus took Bradley to the Sweet 16. Huge mistake by Alfrod. And we may pay for it, again, by not getting in on his kid... Sommerville is legend in Peoria. Although Bradley is really bad at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: uihawk82
Alford had a knack of recruiting players who didn't stick around.

I once spent the time to go year by year on Alford's recruits. The norm was a guy would play 8 consecutive semesters. Alford had the same number of commitments never play a minute at Iowa as played 8 consecutive semesters. Between the transfers, the criminals, the academic casualties (some of whom returned) and the inability to become initially eligible he really turned the boys program into a clown show.

Last edited:
3rd, 3rd, 4th. Coach Jake led one of the years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT