ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

Ronman

HR Legend
Jan 4, 2004
Planet Iowa
I don't remember seeing this discussed on this board, but with the rapid spread of the coronavirus, what are the odds that the NCAA Tournament would be cancelled? It's my favorite sporting event, but it seems as though there have been a lot of human gatherings being shut down, or at least being played before empty arenas.

They will allow attendees. The cities hosting are banking on visitors to their locales to spend money on food, beverages, and hotels.

Unless you can get coronavirus through watching it on TV it will have little impact. The money is made through TV not stadium attendance.
Maybe for the NCAA, but be assured the host cities would lose millions if this happened in hotel and restaurant revenue. Read online last week that some group claiming to represent the players petitioned the NCAA to hold all the games WITHOUT fans in attendance to lessen the risk to players. This would certainly be a drastic step, but it depends how much this blows up in the next week or so. You do have to wonder the way this is progressing in the state of Washington if they would consider moving the regional in Seattle elsewhere. In the end this is basically the same as a bad flu virus, which kills many people with weakened immune systems every year.

Maybe for the NCAA, but be assured the host cities would lose millions if this happened in hotel and restaurant revenue. Read online last week that some group claiming to represent the players petitioned the NCAA to hold all the games WITHOUT fans in attendance to lessen the risk to players. This would certainly be a drastic step, but it depends how much this blows up in the next week or so. You do have to wonder the way this is progressing in the state of Washington if they would consider moving the regional in Seattle elsewhere. In the end this is basically the same as a bad flu virus, which kills many people wi7th weakened immune systems every year.
except health experts say it Wii be a minimum 1 year to 18 months before a vaccine is available and who gets it. This is not flu, it's a new pathogen. We know how to treat flu, make vaccines for flu, we know flu, our hospitals and staff know flu and are well trained for it. It may turn out similar, but those calling it a cold and no big deal have no idea

except health experts say it Wii be a minimum 1 year to 18 months before a vaccine is available and who gets it. This is not flu, it's a new pathogen. We know how to treat flu, make vaccines for flu, we know flu, our hospitals and staff know flu and are well trained for it. It may turn out similar, but those calling it a cold and no big deal have no idea

Unless you're over 70 or have significant comorbidities, you're likely ok.

From your brilliant post what exactly does the bolded mean.

I don't remember seeing this discussed on this board, but with the rapid spread of the coronavirus, what are the odds that the NCAA Tournament would be cancelled? It's my favorite sporting event, but it seems as though there have been a lot of human gatherings being shut down, or at least being played before empty arenas.

wont be cancelled, but there are plans out there to play in empty arenas.

Rutgers hasn't been in the tourney in a very, very long time. We have a legitimate shot at getting there this year.
Prevailing theory has always been God hates Rutgers
Thus
Either the tourney goes on with no fans allowed or the tourney gets canceled
Either way it will just prove that God really does hate Rutgers.

87730879_10157040570442043_8227935717293031424_n.jpg

Personally think it is just the media trying to blow it out of proportion and click bait articles for their websites. Honestly doubt there is much conversation of it even happening because of the $ that would be lost.

Yet what I find funny is they talk about NCAA tourney but no one cares about conference tourney sites where more teams will be playing at a single venue over more days than the tourney sites and all of this less than a week prior to the start of March Madness. But have seen or read nothing for doing this next week in all the places next week hosting conference tourneys including some major ones like in KC, Indianapolis, Vegas, NYC, etc. Even for other things like the Big 10 Wrestling in NJ this weekend.

Last edited:
but the host cities bid on a BIG spending crowd

I agree the host cities would suffer but it wouldn't cancel the tournament. It may look weird seeing the later round games with empty seats but the games will go on. For those not concerned this maybe a moment of opportunity. When several tourists died in the Dominican last year my boss bought him and his family tickets and got an incredible package deal for dirt cheap.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
You do realize that in 2019 16000 people died from just the regular flu?? This is getting hyped by democrats and media to try to hurt trump. They are evil people

Do I think this maybe blown out of proportion relative to the flu sure, and I take an immune suppressor every two weeks so I'm partly worried. But to think this is a conspiracy against Trump doesn't make sense. The whole world is taking similar preventive measures and have their media outlets providing similar attention. They have no interest in Trump and our elections. My coworkers daughter is in Florence Italy told me at times of the day it's a ghost town. Mecca in the middle east is eerily vacant. My friend stationed in Korea said similar things there. This has nothing to do with Trump. And no I am not a listed democrat nor Republican. I prefer to stay in the middle so I don't fall off the edge.

There are 8 billion people on this planet and we'll say 100k have this virus, 80% in China.

BFD

You do realize that in 2019 16000 people died from just the regular flu?? This is getting hyped by democrats and media to try to hurt trump. They are evil people

Oh boy, I'm going to jump into this discussion against my better judgement.

I didn't know the COVID-19 virus spread was done and the effects are over....COVID-19 is just getting started. So, stop trying to compare a past event with something that is currently underway and has never been experienced before. But hey, cope with it anyway you need to.

You do realize that the death rate of the coronavirus is at approximately 3.5% (as of March 3, according to the WHO) while the death rate for the average seasonal flu is <0.3%, according to the CDC?

However, I am also of the belief that if you are younger-middle aged with a normal immune system, then you are likely safe

Read an article somewhere, (if I get time I’ll try and post) basically said insurance would cover most money loss if they play in front of empty stands.

It's a concern, but like many things social media and "news" outlets are fueling the panic with this.

Stick to the facts.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...ronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

Take precautions, but if you don't have pre-existing conditions, you'll be fine.

Caronavirus: 3,491 deaths worldwide
"Flu": Roughly 300,000 - 600,000 deaths every year

In yet some folks don't think a flu shot is necessary...but that's a whole other can of worms

Never called it a cold, and you have no idea either. I said like the flu many people get sick, and for those with immune issues it can be fatal. We'll see what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT