ADVERTISEMENT

Could Manny R be the best Defensive back ever at Iowa?

Hawkeyeinsoutherncalifornia

HR All-American
Mar 9, 2017
Van Nuys, California
I know there's been some absolutely studs in the Dbackfield, however with raw superior talent I think Manny could be one of the best defensive players IOWA has ever had as if he continues his disruptive coverage this kid has no ceiling.. he's tall, athletic and extremely SMART.. with a nose for the ball and heads up all the time to making the "big play" you could actually argue he won the Michigan game for us this year with the stripping of the ball towards the end of the game it was extreme beauty is all I can say and he's like super glue on his receivers he covers and won't back down from anyone.. I just have a gut feeling he might end up being the best dback Iowa has had and even better than King .. because of his raw talent and his size has NFL written all over it if he can add a few more pounds of muscle ..

Call me nuts or whatever but I just love this guys style and how he sticks to his receivers and is always I repeat looking for the opportunity of the big play..

I'm going to take a wait and see attitude ... however, he played at quite a high level when he was starting last year as a true freshman. The big question is whether he'll let his success as a freshman get to his head ... or will he focus on the "little picture" ... and keep on focussing on incremental improvement.

If you recall, after King's surprisingly stellar freshman campaign ... he did experience a little bit of a sophomore slump. Fortunately, he came back better than ever as a JR ... and earned himself the Thorpe Award.

Manny has an impressive skill set ... so hopefully he makes the most of it.

I agree tactical, yes very lofty expectations however as ghost said "if he looks at the small picture and progresses" and not the big fat head approach where his head swells- somewhat of that nature I think Manny can be as great as Manny wants to be .. agree to disagree?

QUOTE="Tacticalhawk, post: 4479017, member: 84525"]Manny far exceeded expectations and your predictions are possible. However your predictions of being better than King are very lofy expectations. Hope he reaches them![/QUOTE]

I like the little we've seen of him but there was just a guy that played for Iowa 7 months ago that will be hard to beat as best ever.

Reactions: Ree4
I agree tactical, yes very lofty expectations however as ghost said "if he looks at the small picture and progresses" and not the big fat head approach where his head swells- somewhat of that nature I think Manny can be as great as Manny wants to be .. agree to disagree?

QUOTE="Tacticalhawk, post: 4479017, member: 84525"]Manny far exceeded expectations and your predictions are possible. However your predictions of being better than King are very lofy expectations. Hope he reaches them!
[/QUOTE]

We can agree to agree if you want.

QUOTE="Tacticalhawk, post: 4479017, member: 84525"]Manny far exceeded expectations and your predictions are possible. However your predictions of being better than King are very lofy expectations. Hope he reaches them!
[/QUOTE]
If he needs "small progression" then he's in the right program. I agree with the OP, this kid is special and a talent, clearly.

Rugamba looked great at times last year for sure. His upside is huge, no doubt. We have had some great, great CB's at Iowa. Only time will tell if Rugamba will be one of them. He certainly isn't there yet.

Let's not go too crazy. I do think first team all-B1G is possible in his career, if he does that, then we can start comparing to other top Iowa dbacks.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I like him a lot and yes he's going to be good. I look for him to get pushed a bunch from the Hankins kid out of texas.

Ojemudia has the skills to match him IMO..
Ojemudia is a little taller, but does he have Manny's leaping ability? Also, Manny has pretty fluid hips ... does Ojemudia have the same hip-swivel? I know that Phil really likes both guys ... so that's a big positive for both guys.

Emlen Tunnell is in the NFL Hall of Fame and Bob Jeter had an outstanding career for Green Bay. I can only hope that Manny can come close to their accomplishments. As a percentage of the team, Iowa has probably had more d-backs in the NFL than any position other tight ends and offensive lineman.

Emlen Tunnell is in the NFL Hall of Fame and Bob Jeter had an outstanding career for Green Bay. I can only hope that Manny can come close to their accomplishments. As a percentage of the team, Iowa has probably had more d-backs in the NFL than any position other tight ends and offensive lineman.
Merton Hanks was a 4x pro bowler and 3x all pro as well as NFL DB of the year in '95 and super bowl champ and he rarely gets a nod but I think he's gotta be right up there.

Just my opinion:

It's not fair to the young man himself, this early in his career to say such a thing. While he has obviously proven himself on the field so far during limited snaps, he honestly has not done anything near deserving of this type of consideration, IMO.

Not questioning your age or anything like that, but I think you're discrediting far too many badass Iowa DBs from the 80s and 90s, many of who will never even be mentioned on this board.

57c1f9f3c6c6d.image.jpg

It'd be a great thing for the Hawks if, over the rest of his career, Rugamba positioned himself in the discussion.

He's not in the discussion at all. That is delusional.
Lots of potential for sure. Best ever? That would be a huge feat

Paul Krause is a good choice. Also Nile Kinnick. Manny R would have to lead Iowa to a NC and be making big plays all over the field in the process in order to be number 1 IMO. Damn right I hope that's exactly what happens!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT