ADVERTISEMENT

Couple questions on Iowa high school basketball this season

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
(1) when i see some of these games end with less than 40 points for the winning team, it makes me think a shot clock is needed; has this been discussed where it might be implemented in the near future?

(2) I have no idea but for those who know, is Muscatine really one of the top 8-10 teams in the state?

Last year Muscatine played West in the game before state, correct? West handled them rather easily, IIRC. Was the path paved this year for Muscatine to get them and Joe to state?

Linn-Mar upsetting PV made their path a little easier.

They had an opening round bye. Then they had to beat Dav North, who had virtually the same record as them, at home.

I doubt they’re one of the top 8-10 teams overall on the year. They finished tied for 3rd the MAC. They played NS tough both games, but got handled pretty easily by PV in both of their contests. Their only “bad” loss was at home to CR Prarie. Zero quality wins. Prairie’s power ranking is pretty solid at that. They beat NS as well.

Here’s a link to BC Moore’s rankings.
http://ia.bcmoorerankings.com/bbb/2018/latest/4ARank.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Franisdaman
Shot clock - it gets brought up periodically but basically it's another expense for schools because it takes somebody to operate it and it takes them money to install. Probably not on the docket for the forseeable future.

And yes, not having a shot clock in 2018 makes it pretty brutal.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Went to substate games in CR last night and the impact of no shot clock was pretty evident. This isn't the style played today, does not prepare kids for the next level, or make for entertaining basketball. Feed the post, foul, feed the post, foul. Need to get a shot clock to open the floor up and give teams that don't have the size a chance to compete. I like watching good half court basketball as much as the next person, but 45-60 second possessions are from a bygone era. LM-Muscatine was a pretty entertaining game, but Kennedy vs. West was a snooze fest for the most part.

Reactions: Hawks1958
Shot clock - it gets brought up periodically but basically it's another expense for schools because it takes somebody to operate it and it takes them money to install. Probably not on the docket for the forseeable future.

And yes, not having a shot clock in 2018 makes it pretty brutal.
Would they really pay someone to operate the shot clock in high school basketball? Why not institute it in basketball. They did it in football with a play clock.

Valley did it against IC West two years ago in the state final I’m pretty sure. Yeah just held for one shot. I thought that game alone would push for a shot clock. Hell even if it’s 40 seconds, it’s better than nothing.

2 years ago Valley double OT vs Pleasant Valley. Valley got ball second OT held it til 25 seconds left, Called timeout, made shot at buzzer 50-48

Or you can play good defense and force a turnover or a 5 second call.
You realize how much of an advantage for the offense that is, right? Defending continuously for any amount of time can really wear on players. Forcing a 5 second call is hard to do, as is a turn over. You should be rewarded for playing good defense for 30 seconds.

High school coaches cannot recruit. Therefore they have to adjust to the personal they have and try a strategy that will give them the best chance to win. A shot clock would result in many blow out games. How entertaining is that. Teams that play good pressure defense can force the offense into turnovers or to take shots. Too many teams want to set back in a zone because teaching aggressive defense is hard work.

(1) when i see some of these games end with less than 40 points for the winning team, it makes me think a shot clock is needed; has this been discussed where it might be implemented in the near future?

(A shot clock is not needed. 4A schools just need to stop being chicken sh**s. You're the biggest schools in the state with the most "available talent". Shoot the damn ball and deal with it.

"Yeah but-"

No. F*** your yeah buts. Deal with it. You're welcome. )

(2) I have no idea but for those who know, is Muscatine really one of the top 8-10 teams in the state?

(Joe Weiskamp is. Ask all the Iowa fans who can't to see what our team will do next year with him in the lineup as a true freshman going up against veteran Big 10 opponents.....)

Last year Muscatine played West in the game before state, correct? West handled them rather easily, IIRC. Was the path paved this year for Muscatine to get them and Joe to state?

(No shenanigans were involved.)

Hope that helped with your questions about Iowa high school basketball in 2018......

Let's remember in Class 4A, 1 in 6 teams make it to the State Tourney.

If a team runs their offense for 4 minutes and elects not to shoot....that's annoying, but I can live with it because if the ball is moving the defense has at least a chance to cause a turnover.

If a team stands at the top of the key with everyone just standing around, that is plain as anything really tough to watch and is the reason why I think a shot clock should be installed.

If it's a cost issue, then do it for the class 3A and 4A schools.

They just dribbled the ball at half court for 4.5 minutes before trying to drive. It was bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT