ADVERTISEMENT

Courtney Green...Double Standard

I was a college basketball official for 17 years. I saw that play among others. That was definitely a foul whether it was junior high, high school or college. The level of inconsistency is embarrassing. When I was officiating, we were rated after every game. Not only are the officials doing a poor job, but the supervisor of officials is also. I believe that the officials have not kept up with the level of talent by the players. I worked numerous basketball camps and workshops so I could be ready for the season. Nobody buys a ticket to come and watch the officials. The officials owe it to the players and coaches to at least be consistent and hustle to be in the right position to make the call.
I actually believe the majority of officials are competent and very good at their jobs. However, there are perhaps 10% that are woefully bad and need to be replaced. They suck year after year and nothing happens to them.

I actually believe the majority of officials are competent and very good at their jobs. However, there are perhaps 10% that are woefully bad and need to be replaced. They suck year after year and nothing happens to them.
As an Illinois fan, I will objectively state that there a number of missed calls. Each fan base feels that the officiating favors the other team. As it relates to Kofi, they definitely missed a couple of travels, and I've yet to see three seconds correctly officiated with any consistency in the B10. On the other hand, Kofi gets bodied and hammered with regularity down low, and he's treated like the biggest 8th grader on the court where the officials handicap the game to help his little opponents out. Officials tend to let contact go with bigs near the basket, so Coleman Hawkins crowding Keegan may not always get the same scrutiny as when a smaller player gets bumped. Don't get me started on the charge/block call; Keegan had a bad call go against him on offense but the charge he took on Curbelo's 4th foul should have been a mere turnover or a block (watch the tape). Illinois shot 22 free throws to Iowa's 21 and that's with the Hawkeye's fouling intentionally for the last two Illinois attempts. After the ILL/OSU game at ILL, our Rivals Board was livid, and someone posted five photos of Kofi getting hammered with no call. I respect your coach and team, and I will cheer for Iowa against unless it hurts the Illini in the standings. Best of luck in the NCAA Tourney.

Bo Borowski, Green, and Larry S. Will probably be the dream team doing the championship game.

Reactions: iahawks10
As an Illinois fan, I will objectively state that there a number of missed calls. Each fan base feels that the officiating favors the other team. As it relates to Kofi, they definitely missed a couple of travels, and I've yet to see three seconds correctly officiated with any consistency in the B10. On the other hand, Kofi gets bodied and hammered with regularity down low, and he's treated like the biggest 8th grader on the court where the officials handicap the game to help his little opponents out. Officials tend to let contact go with bigs near the basket, so Coleman Hawkins crowding Keegan may not always get the same scrutiny as when a smaller player gets bumped. Don't get me started on the charge/block call; Keegan had a bad call go against him on offense but the charge he took on Curbelo's 4th foul should have been a mere turnover or a block (watch the tape). Illinois shot 22 free throws to Iowa's 21 and that's with the Hawkeye's fouling intentionally for the last two Illinois attempts. After the ILL/OSU game at ILL, our Rivals Board was livid, and someone posted five photos of Kofi getting hammered with no call. I respect your coach and team, and I will cheer for Iowa against unless it hurts the Illini in the standings. Best of luck in the NCAA Tourney.
I respectfully very much disagree re:Cofi. That guy should have fouled out in the first half of nearly every game I’ve ever seen him play. If there exists a game with five photos of him getting hammered with no call, that gives me some comfort that at least one official gave him a dose of his own medicine.

ADVERTISEMENT