ADVERTISEMENT

Courtney Green...Double Standard

IllQChawk

HR All-American
May 29, 2001
There is evidently a double standard in college refereeing, at least in Courtney Greens world. Last night in the second half, Keegan was out on the 3 point line with ball in hand with 4:09 left in the 2nd half. Keegan fakes a 3 and Kofi who is out guarding Keegan go's for the fake and jumps into Keegan. Now Courtney Green is just feet away from these two and you guessed it 'NO CALL' clearly a foul.
Now flash back to Wednesday the 19th of January, Iowa at Rutgers tie game clock running out, Keegan guarding Ron Harper out by the 3 point line and just nudges Harper and you guessed it, Courtney Green is just waiting to call a foul on Keegan and does. Rutgers wins the game on 2 free throws by Ron Harper with 2 seconds left in the game.
I know Courtney is human and all, but consistent refereeing by men or woman is all us fans ask for.
Not a fan of Courtney Green at all....

There is evidently a double standard in college refereeing, at least in Courtney Greens world. Last night in the second half, Keegan was out on the 3 point line with ball in hand with 4:09 left in the 2nd half. Keegan fakes a 3 and Kofi who is out guarding Keegan go's for the fake and jumps into Keegan. Now Courtney Green is just feet away from these two and you guessed it 'NO CALL' clearly a foul.
Now flash back to Wednesday the 19th of January, Iowa at Rutgers tie game clock running out, Keegan guarding Ron Harper out by the 3 point line and just nudges Harper and you guessed it, Courtney Green is just waiting to call a foul on Keegan and does. Rutgers wins the game on 2 free throws by Ron Harper with 2 seconds left in the game.
I know Courtney is human and all, but consistent refereeing by men or woman is all us fans ask for.
I was a college basketball official for 17 years. I saw that play among others. That was definitely a foul whether it was junior high, high school or college. The level of inconsistency is embarrassing. When I was officiating, we were rated after every game. Not only are the officials doing a poor job, but the supervisor of officials is also. I believe that the officials have not kept up with the level of talent by the players. I worked numerous basketball camps and workshops so I could be ready for the season. Nobody buys a ticket to come and watch the officials. The officials owe it to the players and coaches to at least be consistent and hustle to be in the right position to make the call.

Excellent presentation of facts. Lots of people hate facts these days, but no matter how much you hate it, 2 and 2 is still 4. And what you said is exactly right. Except that there were many more egregious failures on the part of the officials. And again I wonder, why hasn't Iowa EVER received such home-cookin'?

Other examples of facts from last night in Champaign:

* Tony Perkins drives the left baseline, fakes, and Curbello leaps and climbs over Tony's back, dragging his feet across Tony's back and head. NO CALL. Tony plays through it, and Kofi body checks Tony as he moves toward the basket. NO CALL. Tony plays through it and scores. That's outrageous bullshit regardless of any other factors.
* Rabraca has the ball at the right of the lane, bumps his defender who throws himself to the ground, offensive FOUL on Rabraca! Kofi, all 7 feet and 300 pounds of him, dips his shoulder and drives into his defender once, twice, three times . . . as many times as it takes to get to the rim, then lays it in. He does it virtually every time he has the ball. NOT ONE FOUL called. I guess that's why the announcers kept calling him "the sledgehammer." Of course, the rules of basketball do not allow for sledgehammers.
* Just one example of many: Kofi takes the ball at the right of the lane. Without dribbling--does he know how--shuffles BOTH feet toward the basket. He stops. Shoves the defender, shuffles his feet AGAIN, and lays it in. There's your player of the year, my friends. What a talent.

If the rules of basketball that apply to Iowa also applied to Illinois, Kofi would have had about 8 traveling violations, half a dozen three-second violations (yes, I've seen it called this year . . . ONCE!), and about 10 fouls. His basketball "talent" is a mirage. If he weren't allowed to play rugby on the basketball court, he would be a nobody.

Yes, Iowa lost last night because it had its worst FT shooting game of the year. So give Illinois credit for its brilliant FT defense. LOL

But here's another fact many of you won't like, but it's still a fact: the refs, again, were either biased against Iowa or egregiously incompetent. We're not talking about 50-50 calls here. We're talking about blatantly obvious situations that were clear to any objective observer . . . Illinois fouls, Illinois traveling . . . that were seen by refs a few feet away and intentionally ignored. Meanwhile, the whistles were quick against Iowa in far, far less obvious situations.

If basketball was officiated the way basketball was intended to be played and officiated, he'd be out by the 5:00 mark of the first half. Every game.

Refs whenever he is near the ball on defense or is making a 5-step move on offense...

snl-saturday-night-live.gif

Excellent presentation of facts. Lots of people hate facts these days, but no matter how much you hate it, 2 and 2 is still 4. And what you said is exactly right. Except that there were many more egregious failures on the part of the officials. And again I wonder, why hasn't Iowa EVER received such home-cookin'?

* Tony Perkins drives the left baseline, fakes, and Curbello leaps and climbs over Tony's back, dragging his feet across Tony's back and head. NO CALL. Tony plays through it, and Kofi body checks Tony as he moves toward the basket. NO CALL. Tony plays through it and scores. That's outrageous bullshit regardless of any other factors.
* Rabraca has the ball at the right of the lane, bumps his defender who throws himself to the ground, offensive FOUL on Rabraca! Kofi, all 7 feet and 300 pounds of him, dips his shoulder and drives into his defender once, twice, three times . . . as many times as it takes to get to the rim, then lays it in. He does it virtually every time he has the ball. NOT ONE FOUL called. I guess that's why the announcers kept calling him "the sledgehammer." Of course, the rules of basketball do not allow for sledgehammers.
* Just one example of many: Kofi takes the ball at the right of the lane. Without dribbling--does he know how--shuffles BOTH feet toward the basket. He stops. Shoves the defender, shuffles his feet AGAIN, and lays it in. There's your player of the year, my friends. What a talent.

If the rules of basketball that apply to Iowa also applied to Illinois, Kofi would have had about 8 traveling violations, half a dozen three-second violations (yes, I've seen it called this year . . . ONCE!), and about 10 fouls. His basketball "talent" is a mirage. If he weren't allowed to play rugby on the basketball court, he would be a nobody.

Yes, Iowa lost last night because it had its worst FT shooting game of the year. So give Illinois credit for its brilliant FT defense. LOL

But here's another fact many of you won't like, but it's still a fact: the refs, again, were either biased against Iowa or egregiously incompetent. We're not talking about 50-50 calls here. We're talking about blatantly obvious situations that were clear to any objective observer . . . Illinois fouls, Illinois traveling . . . that were seen by refs a few feet away and intentionally ignored. Meanwhile, the whistles were quick against Iowa in far, far less obvious situations.
I started laughing at the play you mentioned where Curbelo jumps on Perkins head, no foul. What the literal hell? Dude jumps on a guy and no call. Perkins did end up scoring, but not getting a foul called on Curbelo there meant he would have fouled out sooner than he did.

Courtney Green should NOT be officiating major college BB. The two calls noted by the OP were both clear errors that few decent officials would make. In the Rutgers game, unfortunately, it decided the game.

That said, last night's officiating was not terribly one-sided overall. There were plenty of bad calls, but the guys were going at it.

Officiating Kofi on both ends would be tough for anyone. Players are often allowed to beat on him, and he is allowed to bump his way to baskets and rebounds. I am curious about what those who have officiated think about the difference between officiating big guys around the basket and players on the perimeter. Should the game be called the same way for both? It seldom is, or there would be a lot of guys sitting on benches with foul trouble. My personal preference is to let the players play, but officials are there to call the game the same both ways and to make sure that basic rules are enforced.

If basketball was officiated the way basketball was intended to be played and officiated, he'd be out by the 5:00 mark of the first half. Every game.
Correct. I have said many times that a game that started as a no contact game has turned into a full contact game with pushing, shoving hand checking and in your face street ball.

Can't wait to see how refs call Kofi in the NCAA tournament.
They just don't allow all the physicality in the tournament to me.

I started laughing at the play you mentioned where Curbelo jumps on Perkins head, no foul. What the literal hell? Dude jumps on a guy and no call. Perkins did end up scoring, but not getting a foul called on Curbelo there meant he would have fouled out sooner than he did.
This no-call was particularly ridiculous. That's a foul 100 times out of 100 with competent officiating. The refs didn't cost the game, but that non-call was just embarrassing work.

And the charging foul on either Tony or Joe as they drove the lane. The guy was still moving.
Announcers even said that was a bad call.

It is long past time to have full time paid and evaluated officials at this level. This should be more than just a side gig. They need to be monitored, graded and promoted or demoted (e.g. fired) based on performance.
I don't know how the logistics could be sorted out at the lower levels (non power conference D-1 ball). But play in the "big leagues" deserves competent full time professional officals working the games.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the inconsistency in the foul calls in the EXACT SAME SITUATION.............

- The play where Keegan forced up that 3 after he got bumped by Kofi.....and then later Kofi clearly gets caught in the air and Keegan draws the shooting foul.

Those are the same fouls on Kofi, but only one gets called by the refs. It wasn't that they were favoring Illinois. They just swallowed their whistle on that play and then Keegan paid for it by forcing that shot up.

- Then earlier in the game Kris draws a shooting foul on Curbelo because he is moving into his space making body contact on the shot. Even the announcers that spent most of the game playing to the Illinois crowd talked about this being a good call..............then towards the end of the game when Cockburn had that big block on Keegan, he was clearly fouled by Hawkins in a play that was EXACTLY the same as the foul on Curbelo, except Hawkins was on Keegan's shooting arm. Even more contact, but the refs got caught in the moment and let the crowd have their moment to cheer for Kofi with the block.

There were plenty of other cases. The inconsistencies are the biggest issues with the officials.

There is pretty clear bias against calling fouls on star players. Keegan usually gets a friend whistle this year now that he is a star. Last year when he was a nobody, he was a foul magnet.

The play in question, is called foull 90% of the time on miscellaneous center not named Cockburn. Definitely being a home and being a POY candidate/star meant resulted in no call.

Seems like Courtney Green has to move to the NO Iowa games list. He definitely hosed iowa at Rutgers.

This loss vs Illini, sure the officials weren't helping Iowa, but Iowa players do have to make FTs and big shots.
They didn't, so loss is fair outcome. Bad whistle on the Road is not abnormal.

There was a ton of bad call/non calls particularly against Iowa, however this was not one of them. I have watched in about 18 times and Curbelo jumps over not on. There was zero contact on that play from Curbelo. You could argue that there was from Kofi but barely and amount of contact shouldn't be called.

There was a ton of bad call/non calls particularly against Iowa, however this was not one of them. I have watched in about 18 times and Curbelo jumps over not on. There was zero contact on that play from Curbelo. You could argue that there was from Kofi but barely and amount of contact shouldn't be called.
Curbelo's leg didn't contact Perkins? Sure looked obvious to me but I didn't watch 18 times so could be wrong.

He drags his foot across Perkins’ head/face. Not to mention the and one that should have occurred on the Kofi contact 😂

Curbelo's leg didn't contact Perkins? Sure looked obvious to me but I didn't watch 18 times so could be wrong.
Not that I saw. 18 times was probably an exaggeration but I watched it multiple times because I thought there was no way he didn't foul him but I never saw any contact. I didn't see any Iowa player calling for a foul either.

Not that I saw. 18 times was probably an exaggeration but I watched it multiple times because I thought there was no way he didn't foul him but I never saw any contact. I didn't see any Iowa player calling for a foul either.
There was contact, but I agree that it wasn't enough to where not calling a foul was egregious.....at least not like other calls in that game.

Curbello kicked Tony in the back and the head. Then Kofi body-checked him. Play continued, and Tony scored. When, exactly, was Tony supposed to ask for a foul? The damn game was going on, and he played through it. And I must say, if you don't think Curbello made multiple contact with Perkins, you need to see your optometrist, my friend.

Curbello kicked Tony in the back and the head. Then Kofi body-checked him. Play continued, and Tony scored. When, exactly, was Tony supposed to ask for a foul? The damn game was going on, and he played through it. And I must say, if you don't think Curbello made multiple contact with Perkins, you need to see your optometrist, my friend.
I had my eyes checked recently still checking in at 20/20 and any contact was minimal. Players ask for fouls during play all the time are you kidding? Or at least make a face right after, which he didn't. Any contact that was made had zero impact on the shot.

I had my eyes checked recently still checking in at 20/20 and any contact was minimal. Players ask for fouls during play all the time are you kidding? Or at least make a face right after, which he didn't. Any contact that was made had zero impact on the shot.
He wouldn’t be asking for a foul because it didn’t happen when he was shooting it and he made the bucket.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Per the issues described in this thread, when you think of the call at Rutgers at the end of the game, and then compare to this play where another player went over the head of our player (and definitely made contact with him), it seems pretty obvious which one is more likely to be called a foul. And the opposite happened for both plays. It's just not good enough from the refs.

People get called for reaching a finger in... I think a ball sack to the shoulder would warrant a foul.

Reactions: perryhawk
Courtney Green is an embarrassment to officiating . He along with Larry Sciratto, and Paul Szelc need to be shown the door. (Szelc is an ignorant scoundrel and I disapprove of his very existence)

Hate to break it to you but you aren’t an objective observer

"Bad whistle on the Road is not abnormal." So I'm assuming visiting teams that play the Hawks get the same treatment in Iowa City......

My problem wasn't the double standard a few weeks ago. My problem was the double standard about 2 minutes later when they called a foul on Kofi for doing the exact same thing to Kris that they didn't call a foul when he did it to Keegan.

He was also fouled on the shot by another Illinois player.
This and the missed foul committed against Keegan is just bad officiating.

The more we discuss, the more I think the refs did affect the out come of this game.

The more we discuss, the more I think the refs did affect the out come of this game.

The reffing was horrid.

I have a hard time blaming them, though. If the Hawks shot their season average from the line, they're up by a couple of scores inside a minute and likely having Jordan or Ulis going to the line a few times. I'd guess they win by 8-10 eventually. Their FT cost them the game, regardless of how bad the officiating was.

The reffing was horrid.

I have a hard time blaming them, though. If the Hawks shot their season average from the line, they're up by a couple of scores inside a minute and likely having Jordan or Ulis going to the line a few times. I'd guess they win by 8-10 eventually. Their FT cost them the game, regardless of how bad the officiating was.

Agree completely. It was wildly inconsistent in how it was officiated, and flat-out poorly officiated. But an uncharacteristically crappy performance at the line doomed the guys.

It is deliberate on Greene's part. He hates Iowa for some reason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT