ADVERTISEMENT

Coverage of Paige in CR

JRHawk2003

HR King
Jul 9, 2003
I have nothing against the kid, but he left and went to North Carolina and now is another player there. No interest at all in what he does. The TV stations are sure all over it. Would rather see Iowa Fencing Club highlights than anything North Carolina. No interest at all in this game between two cheaters.

I have nothing against the kid, but he left and went to North Carolina and now is another player there. No interest at all in what he does. The TV stations are sure all over it. Would rather see Iowa Fencing Club highlights than anything North Carolina. No interest at all in this game between two cheaters.

What else are they going to talk about during the final four with no other local connection? Don't watch, the solution is simple. Every news item doesn't interest every viewer.

It is pretty sad that such a cheating program can go unscathed. Cedar Rapids media should run some stories rehashing how much cheating went on at N. Carolina.

How funny would it be if UNC wins it all, and then in 2 months they are placed on Probation and have to negate their title? Yikes.

The NCAA has to get better grip on things, but it is all about $$. As long as they money is flowing in, they could give two Sh1ts about cheating.

Or you could run stories on a local kid(arguably the best player to come from the Cedar Rapids metro area)who is an all American, 3 time all academic all American, won the Acc skip prosser award 2 years in a row for best student athlete in basketball and up for the National Arthur Ashe award.

The media should be focusing on the cheating scandal and why the NCAA is letting them participate in the tournament. Marcus is a North Carolina player. Let their media stroke him.

Reactions: smashed
Local kid, parents both long-time productive members of our community, probably highest rated prep ever in corridor, brought tarheels to CF, bringing tour of players to area after season, future local NBA representative, leader of top rated team in country.

Why cover crap like that when you could be spinning a doomsday scenarios like Boise State is last win of season or Ia State loss is beginning of end of Fran era.

No one was complaining or still complains when they show Kiah stokes highlights at uconn or wnba. Why not for Marcus. He's a good kid and player. Not every kid grows up bleeding black and gold as he did not and Iowa was still early on in Fran's revival of the program when he made his choice to play for one of the premiere programs in the country.

Maybe those with issues can call or send a friendly email to their local news to see if they can get the coverage changed...

What else are they going to talk about during the final four with no other local connection? Don't watch, the solution is simple. Every news item doesn't interest every viewer.
Well, they could say that the slam dunk contest on Thursday night was won by an eastern Iowa kid from Clinton. Anyway, during the time Harrison Barnes was at NC, seems like the DM TV stations had to tell how many points he scored every, or it seemed like every, game. Like nothing else was going on in the sports world. Not so much since he went pro.

No Iowa kid is obligated to go to college in Iowa. True for any kid in any state related to their state universities. College is an individual's choice. Go where you want to. Paige has had a good experience outside of Iowa at UNC. Woodbury had a good experience staying in Iowa and not going to UNC.

I'm with the OP.
Another ego driven Lin Mar kid.

Marcus Paige is a class act and is one of the two or three best players I have ever seen come out of Iowa. At Linn Mar, the fifth largest high school in Iowa, he was the class academic valedictorian. He is about the nicest kid you would ever want to meet. Anyone who has met him or knows him can understand that he is destined for great things.

Or you could run stories on a local kid(arguably the best player to come from the Cedar Rapids metro area)who is an all American, 3 time all academic all American, won the Acc skip prosser award 2 years in a row for best student athlete in basketball and up for the National Arthur Ashe award.
Hah! Why would anybody in this area be interested in anything like that? We'd rather argue why some our freshman players should be Creaned to make way for a great JUCO.

Reactions: WSC72
I mean if Joe Blow went to Alabama and won a NC, the local papers would be writing it up. I mean its a local kid who went to the local schools before ever signing with the school.

I say the local media should eat that sh!t up. Its great for the local community and even better its good for the "young kids" in the community to see that a local kid can make it in the NCAA. I like it and have saved every paper!

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
Iowans are very attached to their own and will take any claim to fame they can get. By every account, Paige seems like a good dude. No reason the local press wouldn't give him some love. What else are they gonna talk about?

Have no interest in paige at unc and have no interest in pierschbacher at alabama.

Screw Paige and screw Caolina.

Shows you how boring life in Iowa really is that they have to grab someone's coattails from 1500 miles away.

Reactions: klamont9
I could care less if he wins NC or not but i will say he is a great represenative of our state.

No other state but Iowa does this crap with players that leave the state. You don't see Cj Beathard highlights in Tennessee.

Reactions: cooldude33
Not from Iowa anymore! He's from North Carolina

Funny, I could've sworn he was announced before the games as "a senior from Marion, Iowa".

The kid has more class and character than most of the folks on this board will ever come close to having. Family has been here a long time and are also great people. He's worked hard for what he has accomplished and i'll take seeing someone like him--from any state--be successful instead of these spoiled-brat, "me" kids who have had everything handed to them because they were a great athlete.

Lots of articles about Clemmons back in Lansing after beating MSU and throughout the year. I'm sure there were news segments, too. Some of you need to grow up and move on. Why wouldn't they cover a hometown kid in the Final Four? Just because UNC may be in trouble. May not have anything to do with Paige.

Reactions: Curt Furence
Paige is just as much from the metro as Zach Johnson and Kurt Warner were when they have been at the top of their game. No different than Sioux City press covering K. Heinrich. It's local news.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Funny, I could've sworn he was announced before the games as "a senior from Marion, Iowa".

The kid has more class and character than most of the folks on this board will ever come close to having. Family has been here a long time and are also great people. He's worked hard for what he has accomplished and i'll take seeing someone like him--from any state--be successful instead of these spoiled-brat, "me" kids who have had everything handed to them because they were a great athlete.

Wrong
Know the dad - he's a ego also. People in CR still laugh at Marcus crying during junior games from losing and his dad.
Didn't the dad give Marcus the ole "texas red shirt" just for sports?
RE: Clemmons/Sapp from other post - he had no chance to go to MSU - they had no room for him.
Marcus could have put IOWA on his chest - he fled.

Wrong
Know the dad - he's a ego also. People in CR still laugh at Marcus crying during junior games from losing and his dad.
RE: Clemmons/Sapp from other post - he had no chance to go to MSU - they had no room for him.
So he's a bad guy for crying after losing? Wow, guess a lot of people are terrible. Sounds like you're trying to blame him for his dad's decisions that he couldn't do anything about. And this is about you being upset that he didn't go to Iowa. Wow, you must have a good life worrying about others and their decisions that have no effect on you.

So he's a bad guy for crying after losing? Wow, guess a lot of people are terrible. Sounds like you're trying to blame him for his dad's decisions that he couldn't do anything about. And this is about you being upset that he didn't go to Iowa. Wow, you must have a good life worrying about others and their decisions that have no effect on you.

Nope
Just kid could have gone to Iowa but showed no interest - had to go to the "midnight madness", etc, etc.
He's dead to me...
Go to the Carolina board to talk about him. I'd rather have a beer with Sapp and his dad.

This isn't at all hard to fathom.
Kid from a small place, decorated starting pg in the national title game. Of course the local tv outlet would cover that. There is almost nothing else going on in local sports at the moment.

Admittedly I have never been a five star athlete. But I will tell you this, I have never given a damn what other people thought regarding the decisions I made in my life for me and my family. And I could give a rats ass about the people who consider me dead to them.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Not sure what that has to do with anything. Channel 9 still doesn't have to lap it up. It ran before Iowa Baseball tonight. That is just ridiculous.

There are a lot of terrible kids playing little league baseball and other pee wee sports if crying after you lose when you're 10 makes you a bad kid.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...ll-these-are-states-most-players-top-25-teams
From November, it isn't like Iowa has a lot of college basketball players playing in big games. This is from November, sothe numbers obviously changed but Iowa had 4 players on top 25 teams at one point this year. I have no problem with local media covering local kids.

When Chasson Randle was at Stanford, local QC media frequently updated on his games. When he won the NIT Championship they had a segment on him and had him on local TV for an interview. The kid was a great student and a great player, and like Paige had a great career. I have no problem with local kids get local attention.

Wrong

Know the dad too and been around him a number of times and he's as humble as his boy. Does he get into the games? Heck yes--who of us wouldn't. He played college ball as well (albeit a lower level) so the competition is still in his blood. Heck, mom gets more nervous watching him than dad does.
I must be stupid, because I don't know what the "texas red shirt" is, so I can't comment on that.
And to say he "fled" is about as dumb as....well, most everything else you've said.

Reactions: HawkGem11
Know the dad too and been around him a number of times and he's as humble as his boy. Does he get into the games? Heck yes--who of us wouldn't. He played college ball as well (albeit a lower level) so the competition is still in his blood. Heck, mom gets more nervous watching him than dad does.
I must be stupid, because I don't know what the "texas red shirt" is, so I can't comment on that.
And to say he "fled" is about as dumb as....well, most everything else you've said.

I think he is trying to say they held him back a year when he was younger, maybe sent him to Kindergarten late, but he was born in September and is only 22 as a senior so that can't be true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT