ADVERTISEMENT

Covid Gain of function research in the USA

Hawk_82

HR Heisman
Sep 17, 2006
Curious if you knew this was going on and what your thoughts are? early on in the pandemic there was a lot of discussion about gain of function research and is it ethical to perform.

Pretty scary stuff when you think about it. sounds like research in in Boston has created a covid virus that is significantly more dangerous than anything we have seen to date (this one kills 80% of infected mice). I dont believe this is being created for anything other than research purposes, however the danger is still very real if there was a lab leak in the usa.

Curious if you knew this was going on and what your thoughts are? early on in the pandemic there was a lot of discussion about gain of function research and is it ethical to perform.

Pretty scary stuff when you think about it. sounds like research in in Boston has created a covid virus that is significantly more dangerous than anything we have seen to date (this one kills 80% of infected mice). I dont believe this is being created for anything other than research purposes, however the danger is still very real if there was a lab leak in the usa.

From what I have read, the fearmongering about that Boston research was kind of overblown. I guess the original Covid virus killed 100% of infected mice. The click baiting like they were working on a world-killing virus or something was more than what it justified.

However, it's still a conversation that should be had generally.

Reactions: Hawk_82
Did you know that the original covid virus that landed in Washington state killed 100% of mice?

The university in Boston combined the original covid virus and the omicron strain. Resulting in a virus that was less deadly than the original but more deadly than omicron.

However, it's still a conversation that should be had generally.
My preference would be, were it to be done, that it be done here, under the enhanced strictures put in place by the Obama administration, and not have the NIH launder money through outfits like EcoHealth Alliance to pay the Chinese to conduct experiments where even DARPA says, 'woah, that's shit's crazy!'

My preference would be, were it to be done, that it be done here, under the enhanced strictures put in place by the Obama administration, and not have the NIH launder money through outfits like EcoHealth Alliance to pay the Chinese to conduct experiments where even DARPA says, 'woah, that's shit's crazy!'
Agreed.

Reactions: Finance85
NYTPitchBot: "Boston University conducts Covid Gain-Of-Function Tests; Builds a Better Mousetrap"

Yes, super great idea given the climate we live in today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT