ADVERTISEMENT

"Cultural Appropriation?" White people can hate each other, too!

strummingram

HR Legend
Oct 1, 2010
A good friend of mine asked some other friends to join her for a dinner at Papa's And Beer for Cinco De Mayo. She's one of my PBS, NPR, Bernie Sanders-For-President, ultra-sensitive, feminist friends.

We all go and eat. The place is packed. After dinner we go into the parking lot and the crowd is much bigger outside. We see college kids from Clemson outside wearing Sombreros and handlebar mustaches and taking selfies and drinking beer! My friend gets irate... "That is so racist!" That triggers me immediately. "What's racist?" She replies "Those mustaches? HELLO! The sombreros! That's cultural appropriation! It's terrible. I'll send you a link to an article." I went on to explain how the whole day is conceived for all of this to take place and expected and encouraged. Keep in mind, Papa's And Beer is staffed with 100% Latinos and they are providing Coronas outside and offering handlebar mustache necklaces and sombreros. Not to mention, choosing to eat at a Mexican restaurant on Cinco De Mayo and doing it wearing a sombrero is merely a matter of degree! So, I informed her that she was guilty of cultural appropriation by inviting us to the restaurant to begin with!

If there is no intent to harm a person, or peoples' culture, then why do white people bash other white people for indulging in the other cultures' stereotypes. If you can't distinguish stereotypes from reality, then I'm sorry for your shortcomings. Halloween must be murder for them. Do they ignore the presence of embellishment and caricature on purpose?

Here is the link she sent. It's basically another white person who is wracked with guilt about her ancestry and expects all other white people to either concede to being steeped in her guilt or they qualify as candidates for the Grand Wizard of the KKK, so she writes for HuffPo and insists that the the other whites should self-victimize just like her. White people are bashing each other on who's more racist now. I guess that's progress to some people.

Reactions: HallofFame
Thank the gods! I have my pharaoh costume all ready to go for Decadence Parade down in New Orleans.

A good friend of mine asked some other friends to join her for a dinner at Papa's And Beer for Cinco De Mayo. She's one of my PBS, NPR, Bernie Sanders-For-President, ultra-sensitive, feminist friends.

We all go and eat. The place is packed. After dinner we go into the parking lot and the crowd is much bigger outside. We see college kids from Clemson outside wearing Sombreros and handlebar mustaches and taking selfies and drinking beer! My friend gets irate... "That is so racist!" That triggers me immediately. "What's racist?" She replies "Those mustaches? HELLO! The sombreros! That's cultural appropriation! It's terrible. I'll send you a link to an article." I went on to explain how the whole day is conceived for all of this to take place and expected and encouraged. Keep in mind, Papa's And Beer is staffed with 100% Latinos and they are providing Coronas outside and offering handlebar mustache necklaces and sombreros. Not to mention, choosing to eat at a Mexican restaurant on Cinco De Mayo and doing it wearing a sombrero is merely a matter of degree! So, I informed her that she was guilty of cultural appropriation by inviting us to the restaurant to begin with!

If there is no intent to harm a person, or peoples' culture, then why do white people bash other white people for indulging in the other cultures' stereotypes. If you can't distinguish stereotypes from reality, then I'm sorry for your shortcomings. Halloween must be murder for them. Do they ignore the presence of embellishment and caricature on purpose?

Here is the link she sent. It's basically another white person who is wracked with guilt about her ancestry and expects all other white people to either concede to being steeped in her guilt or they qualify as candidates for the Grand Wizard of the KKK, so she writes for HuffPo and insists that the the other whites should self-victimize just like her. White people are bashing each other on who's more racist now. I guess that's progress to some people.
In fairness to your friend Papa's and Beer is not a typical Mexican restaurant name so the whole party outside might have come as a shock. ;)

Next time play it safe and go to Outback.

In fairness to your friend Papa's and Beer is not a typical Mexican restaurant name so the whole party outside might have come as a shock. ;)

Next time play it safe and go to Outback.

And, if we wear a kangaroo on our shirt, someone else may be offended.

Well, the article refers to points about how basically our entire American Culture is spawned and structured to serve all fair-skinned, western-European-descent people. While I agree that those people, especially Anglican, have been "in charge" for the majority of the time, it's no longer that way. It's as though some people need to impose some self-victimization to feel in balance.

HuffPo article

Now if we could just get other cultures to respect whites and not target them...a very noble and tolerant idea don't you think. I think it is all being blown off the charts...I try to respect all people but I am careful to keep my eyes open and my mind clear.

We are all white devil. Only the white man has done any harm to the planet and other races on it. It is time for us to roll over give up whatever culture we have and self slave ourselves for the next 1,000 years. Then and only then may we feel the plight.

We are all white devil. Only the white man has done any harm to the planet and other races on it. It is time for us to roll over give up whatever culture we have and self slave ourselves for the next 1,000 years. Then and only then may we feel the plight.
Good point HOF. Now while I am sure white/Caucasian/European type folk have inflicted their share of grief on other cultures they have certainly been joined in their efforts...many share the blame...and some bear more blame than others. No offense intended but I find the "disgust" of the lady friend of OP to be amusing if not out and out hilarious.

Get smarter friends. Problem solved.

I agree with this. People who think the white man is keeping the black man down are effectively telling you blacks are too stupid to help themselves and need white assistance to be equals. Which makes them the true racists.

Reactions: TennesseeWaltz1
I agree with this. People who think the white man is keeping the black man down are effectively telling you blacks are too stupid to help themselves and need white assistance to be equals. Which makes them the true racists.

Yeah... exactly. The author of the article perfunctorily insists that whites have NO sense of racial stress and therefore have no way of empathizing or improving racial relations. Well, if that's the case, then why mention it? She's white, we're white, we can't improve as whites, so f*ck it! She even seems to denounce personal accountability as some kind of fairy tale. Like, because I'm white then I cannot I advocate that we strive to not view each other based on aesthetics. That sounds like some pseudo-intellectual white person conveying the newest form of white supremacy. Whites are now even dictating how whites are to be viewed!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT