ADVERTISEMENT

The Caitlin Clark Effect and the uncomfortable truth behind it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooo... I actually go a slightly different direction. CC isn't attractive, frankly she is kind of homely, which makes the fan thing truly organic. Grown men are watching her because of her abilities not because she is attractive, which has kind of always been the fatal flaw for woman's athletics.
Eh, she’s not “hot” but she is certainly conventionally attractive in a girl next door type of way.

It's not beyond a pay wall. Anyways, black folks tend to have minimally 2x the avid fans of the wnba as white folks.
It is, actually.

You need a Statista Account for unlimited access
  • Immediate access to 1m+ statistics
  • Incl. source references
  • Download as PNG, PDF, XLS, PPT
Get full access

BASIC ACCOUNT​

For single users
$0 USD
Always free

Register now
Note: Your last visited statistic is not included in this account.
  • Free statistics
    Limited access to free statistics which count ≈7% of all our statistics

Sooo... I actually go a slightly different direction. CC isn't attractive, frankly she is kind of homely, which makes the fan thing truly organic. Grown men are watching her because of her abilities not because she is attractive, which has kind of always been the fatal flaw for woman's athletics.
I think for CC to be who she is right now, a LOT of things had to come together. Apart from the obvious such as innate athleticism, hard work, family support, family resources, school resources, dedication, I think maybe a small part of it could be that she is pretty plain looking. That is, if she was super hot, maybe boys would have been fawning all over her from an early age and maybe she might have devoted time to boys rather than relentless self-improvement. Then again, maybe not.

It is, actually.

You need a Statista Account for unlimited access
  • Immediate access to 1m+ statistics
  • Incl. source references
  • Download as PNG, PDF, XLS, PPT
Get full access

BASIC ACCOUNT​

For single users
$0 USD
Always free

Register now
Note: Your last visited statistic is not included in this account.
  • Free statistics
    Limited access to free statistics which count ≈7% of all our statistics

Tell us, mango dango, 2x the number of fans or 2x the level of self reported interest?
Why don't you do the survey and find weaknesses? I didn't do the survey. I just reported what it stated. All data collections have inherent biases and errors numbnuts. Even your pedophilic interests.

Why don't you do the survey and find weaknesses? I didn't do the survey. I just reported what it stated. All data collections have inherent biases and errors numbnuts. Even your pedophilic interests.
What in the hell are you talking about? I am pedophilic numbnut because basically everything you posted in this thread is objectively or subjectively erroneous? Jesus.

JFC ciggy, this is a shit opinion piece.
Ciggy =
50a8e-chumming.jpg

Am I the only one that's tired of the race angle as an explanation for the CC phenomenon?

I'm sure race is a factor in it, particularly when discussing the marketing of CC, but to try and measure that against all of the other variables in play is just pure conjecture and opinion.

Let's just enjoy it and leave the rest of this argument at the door.

1. Top prospect comes to iowa
2. Top prospect is fricking awesome
3. Iowa fans start flooding to her games because she's fricking awesome
4. Nation starts seeing how many iowa fans go to a womens game to see CC
5. Nation is like, hey maybe we should watch this player that is selling out arenas.. they then quickly realize how amazing she is during 2023 run.
6. Nation starts realizing she is generational in 2024.
7. Nation watches her break all the records, goes on a historic run and brings millions of new fans to the sport

But racism! Idiots

Eh, she’s not “hot” but she is certainly conventionally attractive in a girl next door type of way.
Plain Jane that cleans up well. Looks like an accountant with nice legs.

I love it that she's a plain Jane and honestly isn't that charismatic on camera. All about basketball and that's why she's loved.

Am I the only one that's tired of the race angle as an explanation for the CC phenomenon?

I'm sure race is a factor in it, particularly when discussing the marketing of CC, but to try and measure that against all of the other variables in play is just pure conjecture and opinion.

Let's just enjoy it and leave the rest of this argument at the door.
We've stuffed race into everything for a while. Race sells.

Man, CC is really rocking the boat being the biggest star in women’s basketball. Imagine how crazy things would be if a black golfer in the PGA became arguably the world’s biggest sports celebrity and a billionaire! Wouldn’t that be wild. I know, such a thing is impossible in this racist world.

Man, CC is really rocking the boat being the biggest star in women’s basketball. Imagine how crazy things would be if a black golfer in the PGA became arguably the world’s biggest sports celebrity and a billionaire! Wouldn’t that be wild. I know, such a thing is impossible in this racist world.
And the most popular rapper for a good stretch was a white a guy. The most reasonable politician? A black man.

Reactions: Stephen Hawk King
I don't know why people write these articles other than to get clicks - what's the point?

Yes, she is white and hetero. She is also amazingly talented and FUN! 30 ft 3's are her norm. Dazzling passes. The Hawks won a lot of games which is also FUN!

If everything was the same as she is - from Iowa, goes to Iowa, plays amazing BB, she leads the team to great things, is well spoken and simply just "must-see", would it be any different if she was black?

I don't think so. Others may disagree.

1. Top prospect comes to iowa
2. Top prospect is fricking awesome
3. Iowa fans start flooding to her games because she's fricking awesome
4. Nation starts seeing how many iowa fans go to a womens game to see CC
5. Nation is like, hey maybe we should watch this player that is selling out arenas.. they then quickly realize how amazing she is during 2023 run.
6. Nation starts realizing she is generational in 2024.
7. Nation watches her break all the records, goes on a historic run and brings millions of new fans to the sport

But racism! Idiots
And beyond her exploits on the court, I think another aspect to her “marketing success” is how polished she is in every other aspect of her life. This doesn’t get enough attention as a contributor to the phenomenon that we are witnessing.

Post-game interviews: She analyzes like a coach or seasoned, veteran commentator. Gives credit to her opponent and her team; only rarely talking about herself and even then it’s about her deficiencies. Never gloats.

Another differentiator- she doesn’t lead off by “giving all the glory to God” which virtually every other athlete seems to do these days - it’s so overdone.

Social media crap: always takes the high road and refuses to take the bait.

Other events like awards shows / charity events: talks about growing the game, shining a light on women’s sports, etc.

I think she and her family have probably dedicated a fair amount of time “curating” the CC#22 that we see off the court and it’s paying off.

Couple that with all that she can do on the court and it’s a sports marketing wet dream. What’s Clark’s major again? I forgot. 😉

She's a racist as is most of the inbred hillbilly uneducated white trash population of Iowa. How is this a surprise, at all?

Look at the Ashley Hinson ad with all the white moms. The tag line is Ashley is one of us. Hitler would be proud. Iowa is a shithole and I've decided to move.

Lake doesn't look a hundred percent white. Looks like she has some ethnic in her. That should be an automatic dq in magat land. Doesn't pass the Anglo Saxon sniff test. She might be an illegal.

I've defiled many white ladies. I'm sorry!

The caucus system discriminates against minority (non-white) voters who were a small percentage of the demographics anyways.

Did rivals change something? I can't respond to anything on my phone. As far as the caste system is concerned, I work with white people and Chinese. I loathe all of them equally. I'm a loner at work and generally find my coworkers to be dumbasses regardless of race or any other criteria.

But they are white, affluent, and good people........

Any non-white people? Or just white as white can be.

The IRP in Coralville has it and old white people love it.

They might vote for a female but that female better be white. Simple demographics bears this out. An Indian American woman, notwithstanding her fake South Carolina accent, ain't winning (even her nomination).

They can suck it.

At least, one is getting bjs from a white woman haha.

Everyone was white including the cops. Simple lover's quarrel. If it was a minority like me, I'd be shot dead or in a prison in Utah.

Make Gobi Manchurian. You'll like it. Here's some really white people making it and liking it.

Trump had money from his whack ass father as a kid. Kyle is a broke ass white trash punk.

He was a sexy cricket player in the 70's with a proclivity for sleeping with white women. Oh well.

Old saggy white senior partner at the firm got a beej from her. Guaranteed.

Supper Club = Where ancient white people eat and talk about the good ole days.

Marva Abel was my old realtor. An old white woman in IC. Close but no ;)

White people issues

Only took 2 years. Still Trump is a free man. Imagine if he weren't white.

So much butthurt on this thread for white people to lose a few roles.

Oh no, the inhumanity towards the white thespian.

The correct derogatory term for a white person like you is haole, pronounced howlee.

Aloha and Mahalo.

He's implying that all blacks are trouble makers and that they rely on their white saviors to choke them to death since minorities like me just can't resist breaking the law.

I'm surprised they didn't ask her and Tim Scott for more drinks and when the food was being served? Shocked. And where oh where is Vivek Wangaswamy Rasam Sambar No Chance.

I love my fellow Indian Americans making fools of themselves. Fun to see.

My American name these days is Bob Cobb, aka the Maestro. I will be running next cycle. Vote for me white people! I will make the samosa the national dish of yankee America.

I live with uppity white people. I grow my lawn out only to the point where I know they are slightly annoyed. Then I tractor it and I see them grinning ear to ear as every blade is cut to the putting green that they expect. My neighbor has OCD and mows every 2 days.

Any hot Cuban boots?

At the rate this is going, my Indian ass is going to be a white supremacist. Fingers crossed. White supremacy standards are severely slipping.

These people are rich, locally famous, most of you kiss their asses, what's there not to love? The old man is probably going to retire and move to a bigger city and his vaunted kid will have a nice mediocre career at no one cares university. The old man will get a job in broadcasting or some corporate gig that all rich white guys get, if he wants to. Until then, I'll bring out my world's smallest violin and serenade.

These are just fine and never need to be repaid. They are mostly taken by white rednecks and white fraudsters running the next hip bar and grill with 450 unlisted employees.

Student loans on the other hand might have one or two brown or black people, ergo bad and gay cakes will activate the super massive blackhole annihilating Earth.

Maher was always a fraud. People like me saw that from day 1. Others didn't. He, I guess, hid it well for the white demographic.

It's like the pejorative term oreo. Once Indians get wealthy, many become R's. They don't realize that at any dinner with white people, many will ask them for a glass of water and where the restroom is. They are idiots. Vivek is one of them.

Iowa is an uneducated redneck white trash racist xenophobic gun toting shithole. People should stop pretending it is anything else.

Who knew white guys from N. Dakota were ballerz?
Burgum loves the ole' soft focus. I'm sure he's got the white MILF vote locked up. I'm Doug Burgum and I like to smile. <Camera soft focus>

Hah well genes do get diluted. My great grandfather was 6'8 and towered over the British. He had one of them oldey time staches to match. There's a photo of him with a bunch of white guys and he looks huge. I on the other hand am a pudgy 5'10 runt. I blame it on my late mother ;)

White trash gonna white trash.

These guys should go hunt that Maine guy. Now that would be awesome. A white nutwad and some jacked up cholos. Let's do this!

If he was brown or black, he'd be rotting in prison. White people like to protect their own.

Let's see Clark light it up in the wnba. Until then enjoy the Caucasian competition in big ten women's hoops.

Largely uneducated, mostly white, culturally unaware, latently racist.

Everyone white needs immigrants to do shit jobs. So yes, many are in favor of having legal immigration for crap jobs. Skilled workers, maybe, given that the Dakotas are the siberia of the US.

Vivek needs to come out of the closet and admit he loves anal sex with a geriatric out of shape white man. It looked like he wanted to make out with Trump. I can console his wife.

The worst law student in my class was like Cicero compared to this moron. Alabama must have no standards to become a lawyer. Being white is enough.

Yup, white trash like you = shit. Run back to your trailer.

Some British white guy is my guess.

Crooked white rapist gets away with everything. Next--run country into the ground to please uneducated imbeciles like @RicoSuave102954 and @Scruddy .

White people should adopt him as their messiah. He's got messianic powers. Jesus Christ light.

Feel free 14 year old white slackers. Don't get decapitated on the way to work, yo.

That's why I use racist imbecile white trash cracker when describing you.

People sometimes wonder why I'm not an Iowa homer even though I live in Iowa. It's because of these type of experiences. So in some ways, I was happy South Carolina stuck it to them. Those South Carolina players or their parents have probably experienced what I have, and thus we, minorities, neither trust or keep white people close. Ironically, my uncle married a white Iowan and their kids are interracial. No one would rent to them in Iowa City in the early 60s and they had to live in a garage.

Man you got me. Wow. Now, actually read what I posted. Idiot. Now, go back to beating on some poor innocent woman if you can catch up to her. My guess is, your wife either ran way or has filed so many protective orders against you that the cops know you on a first name basis. Must be slow at your end being jobless, worthless and a spouse abuser.

Man you got me. Wow. Now, actually read what I posted. Idiot. Now, go back to beating on some poor innocent woman if you can catch up to her. My guess is, your wife either ran way or has filed so many protective orders against you that the cops know you on a first name basis. Must be slow at your end being jobless, worthless and a spouse abuser.

Please don't be mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT