The Caitlin Clark Effect and the uncomfortable truth behind it

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
By Jim Trotter
4h ago

It’s not surprising that corporations are lining up like fans along arena railings to get Caitlin Clark’s autograph. The former Iowa star is a transcendent talent who has proven she is as proficient at breaking viewership records as scoring marks, drawing capacity crowds at home and on the road and even attracting 17,000 spectators to an open practice during Final Four weekend. Her WNBA jersey sold out within hours of her being drafted No. 1 overall by the Indiana Fever, and multiple teams have moved upcoming games to larger venues to accommodate “unprecedented demand” for Fever games.
Advertisement

So, it makes perfect sense that she has been hired to pitch everything from home and auto insurance to performance drinks, from trading cards to supermarket chains, from automobiles to financial investment firms. She’s not only deserving of every opportunity but also has earned every endorsement deal that’s been placed before her, including a $28 million Nike pact that includes her own signature shoe line, as reported by The Athletic.

That being said, we should not delude ourselves into believing her appeal as an influencer is based solely on basketball, because it’s not. Arguing otherwise is an affront to history and reality. Clark’s attractiveness to local companies and national corporations is heightened by the fact that she is a White woman who has dominated a sport that’s viewed as predominately Black; a straight woman who is joining a league with a sizable LGBTQ+ player population; and a person who comes from America’s heartland, where residents often feel their beliefs and values are ignored or disrespected by the geographical edges of the country.
Because sport and society are constructed from the same fabric, it’s impossible to separate them, which is why it’s foolish to act as if basketball is the only thing fueling The Caitlin Clark Effect. The primary thing? Yes. But not the only thing.

Some will attempt to mold these words into a disparagement of Clark or her accomplishments. They are not. She is a tremendous player and, by all accounts, a quality human being. But multiple things can be true at the same time, particularly when discussing why one player is perceived to be a better brand ambassador than someone else. Searching for perspective on the topic took me back to an interview I did last month with Flora Kelly, a vice president of research for ESPN.
Advertisement

On the eve of the women’s Final Four, I was intrigued by the question of which is the bigger TV draw — a great player or a great team? Kelly acknowledged the significance of a generational talent like Clark, and how her presence alone can push viewership numbers to record heights, but she also stressed that other factors can push viewership far beyond the roof and into the stratosphere. Factors such as legacies of a franchise or program, rivalries between a team or players, and cultural or societal elements that create viral moments.
“We’re in kind of a unique moment where social media can really spin and kind of create a hyper-awareness around these athletes, causing a moment that goes beyond sport,” Kelly said at the time. “But there are so many other factors that people are just downright ignoring and just making it Caitlin Clark. There are a lot of storylines surrounding her that are lifting it. Maybe it’s not the chicken or the egg. Maybe it’s both.”
The racial component when discussing brand ambassadors may make people uncomfortable, but it’s a conversation that merits consideration. Sue Bird, who is White and gay and one of the legends of women’s basketball, addressed it in 2020 while discussing the league’s inability at that time to capture the country’s attention in the same way that the U.S. women’s national soccer team had done.
“Even though we’re female athletes playing at a high level, our worlds, you know, the soccer world and the basketball world are just totally different,” she said. “And to be blunt it’s the demographic of who’s playing. Women’s soccer players generally are cute little white girls while WNBA players — we are all shapes and sizes … a lot of Black, gay, tall women. … There is maybe an intimidation factor and people are quick to judge it and put it down.

The Pulse Newsletter
Free, daily sports updates direct to your inbox. Sign up

Paige Bueckers, a star guard for the University of Connecticut, echoed similar sentiments the following year while accepting the ESPY for best college athlete in women’s sports. She stated that 80 percent of the WNBA postseason awards were won that season by Black players, but they received half the coverage of White athletes.

Advertisement

“With the light that I have now as a White woman who leads a Black-led sport and celebrated here, I want to shed a light on Black women,” she said. “They don’t get the media coverage that they deserve. They’ve given so much to the sport, the community and society as a whole and their value is undeniable.”

Her words were particularly poignant in 2023 when nine of the 10 starters in the WNBA All-Star Game were Black, yet Sabrina Ionescu, a reserve guard who happens to be White, was selected as the cover athlete for NBA2K24. Ionescu was a college icon at Oregon, where she set the NCAA record for triple-doubles, but she had yet to reach that status as a professional. So the decision of NBA2K24 to pass over multiple dominant Black players — including A’Ja Wilson and Jonquel Jones, frontline stars who won league MVPs in 2020, 2021 and 2023 — was particularly conspicuous. But, like Clark, she checked particular boxes that the others did not as a straight, White player.

The topic of sexual orientation and identity is as old as the WNBA itself because of the league’s sizable percentage of LGBTQ+ players. Fact is, the league struggled in its infancy to find the right balance between promoting inclusivity and not alienating the broader community.

Initially, it tended to feature promotional ads of married players with children despite many of its players being non-heterosexual. Sue Wicks, a member of the WNBA’s inaugural draft class who in 2002 became the league’s first openly gay active player, has said she felt boxed in while the league tried to find the right messaging.

“It would always chafe against me, someone saying, ‘You can’t say that you are gay,’” she told The Athletic in 2020.

The league, which today is the most inclusive in professional sports, has come light years since then even if society has not as a whole. In the Supreme Court ruling overturning Roe v. Wade, Justice Clarence Thomas cited three other rulings he’d like to see the court take up in the near future, each of which was instrumental in creating the pathway to national same-sex marriage rights. The topic of sexual orientation and identity remains an issue with some, which explains why Clark might be viewed even more favorably as an influencer.

That is not a knock against her personally or a slight to her sublime basketball skills. It is a nod to the reality that brand ambassadorship at her level is not simply a commentary on someone’s athletic ability. It’s also a reflection of society’s impact on who gets the biggest bags.

These articles are tired old bags of sh#$. Once upon a time there was an incredible men's basketball player named Michael Jordan who had endorsement deals and fame that well exceeded even CC...before there was social media in every palm on the globe. (It was harder then to achieve icon status IMO.)

When you combine exceptional talent, great personalities and so forth...you are occasionally going to have an MJ or CC. Emphasis on the word occasionally.

That's it...the rest aren't racist because CC is white. Nor were we racist because MJ is black. Quit making stupid crap up so you have something to fill your column.

006d7385d553b88d4bb54b2332e865dd.gif

It is important to understand that none of this is a judgement for or against #22 but more a comment on corporate America and its relationship to American morality. Corporations are their best when they are amoral. Corporations are best when they do what they do best….make money. Individuals gets ground into the mix when they agree to earn a living via the corporate route. Although the individual is not responsible for this commentary, they are certainly singled out as a cause for the assertions made.

It is what it is. “Fans” cannot allow themselves to take this stuff personally. It isn’t. However, the corporation and how it conducts its business, does reflect the morals and ethics that best reflect those of their consumers. That might be what is most unsettling about this article.

About the only race angle that I could see is that basketball is so dominated by black players -- especially the really good exciting players -- that a really good exciting white player is a novelty and is more interesting for it. (in an underdog sort of way) And that's part of the attraction.

But I don't think the author understands how unique Caitlin is talent wise.

By Jim Trotter
4h ago

It’s not surprising that corporations are lining up like fans along arena railings to get Caitlin Clark’s autograph. The former Iowa star is a transcendent talent who has proven she is as proficient at breaking viewership records as scoring marks, drawing capacity crowds at home and on the road and even attracting 17,000 spectators to an open practice during Final Four weekend. Her WNBA jersey sold out within hours of her being drafted No. 1 overall by the Indiana Fever, and multiple teams have moved upcoming games to larger venues to accommodate “unprecedented demand” for Fever games.
Advertisement

So, it makes perfect sense that she has been hired to pitch everything from home and auto insurance to performance drinks, from trading cards to supermarket chains, from automobiles to financial investment firms. She’s not only deserving of every opportunity but also has earned every endorsement deal that’s been placed before her, including a $28 million Nike pact that includes her own signature shoe line, as reported by The Athletic.
That being said, we should not delude ourselves into believing her appeal as an influencer is based solely on basketball, because it’s not. Arguing otherwise is an affront to history and reality. Clark’s attractiveness to local companies and national corporations is heightened by the fact that she is a White woman who has dominated a sport that’s viewed as predominately Black; a straight woman who is joining a league with a sizable LGBTQ+ player population; and a person who comes from America’s heartland, where residents often feel their beliefs and values are ignored or disrespected by the geographical edges of the country.
Because sport and society are constructed from the same fabric, it’s impossible to separate them, which is why it’s foolish to act as if basketball is the only thing fueling The Caitlin Clark Effect. The primary thing? Yes. But not the only thing.

Some will attempt to mold these words into a disparagement of Clark or her accomplishments. They are not. She is a tremendous player and, by all accounts, a quality human being. But multiple things can be true at the same time, particularly when discussing why one player is perceived to be a better brand ambassador than someone else. Searching for perspective on the topic took me back to an interview I did last month with Flora Kelly, a vice president of research for ESPN.
Advertisement

On the eve of the women’s Final Four, I was intrigued by the question of which is the bigger TV draw — a great player or a great team? Kelly acknowledged the significance of a generational talent like Clark, and how her presence alone can push viewership numbers to record heights, but she also stressed that other factors can push viewership far beyond the roof and into the stratosphere. Factors such as legacies of a franchise or program, rivalries between a team or players, and cultural or societal elements that create viral moments.
“We’re in kind of a unique moment where social media can really spin and kind of create a hyper-awareness around these athletes, causing a moment that goes beyond sport,” Kelly said at the time. “But there are so many other factors that people are just downright ignoring and just making it Caitlin Clark. There are a lot of storylines surrounding her that are lifting it. Maybe it’s not the chicken or the egg. Maybe it’s both.”
The racial component when discussing brand ambassadors may make people uncomfortable, but it’s a conversation that merits consideration. Sue Bird, who is White and gay and one of the legends of women’s basketball, addressed it in 2020 while discussing the league’s inability at that time to capture the country’s attention in the same way that the U.S. women’s national soccer team had done.
“Even though we’re female athletes playing at a high level, our worlds, you know, the soccer world and the basketball world are just totally different,” she said. “And to be blunt it’s the demographic of who’s playing. Women’s soccer players generally are cute little white girls while WNBA players — we are all shapes and sizes … a lot of Black, gay, tall women. … There is maybe an intimidation factor and people are quick to judge it and put it down.

The Pulse Newsletter
Free, daily sports updates direct to your inbox. Sign up

Paige Bueckers, a star guard for the University of Connecticut, echoed similar sentiments the following year while accepting the ESPY for best college athlete in women’s sports. She stated that 80 percent of the WNBA postseason awards were won that season by Black players, but they received half the coverage of White athletes.

Advertisement

“With the light that I have now as a White woman who leads a Black-led sport and celebrated here, I want to shed a light on Black women,” she said. “They don’t get the media coverage that they deserve. They’ve given so much to the sport, the community and society as a whole and their value is undeniable.”

Her words were particularly poignant in 2023 when nine of the 10 starters in the WNBA All-Star Game were Black, yet Sabrina Ionescu, a reserve guard who happens to be White, was selected as the cover athlete for NBA2K24. Ionescu was a college icon at Oregon, where she set the NCAA record for triple-doubles, but she had yet to reach that status as a professional. So the decision of NBA2K24 to pass over multiple dominant Black players — including A’Ja Wilson and Jonquel Jones, frontline stars who won league MVPs in 2020, 2021 and 2023 — was particularly conspicuous. But, like Clark, she checked particular boxes that the others did not as a straight, White player.

The topic of sexual orientation and identity is as old as the WNBA itself because of the league’s sizable percentage of LGBTQ+ players. Fact is, the league struggled in its infancy to find the right balance between promoting inclusivity and not alienating the broader community.

Initially, it tended to feature promotional ads of married players with children despite many of its players being non-heterosexual. Sue Wicks, a member of the WNBA’s inaugural draft class who in 2002 became the league’s first openly gay active player, has said she felt boxed in while the league tried to find the right messaging.

“It would always chafe against me, someone saying, ‘You can’t say that you are gay,’” she told The Athletic in 2020.

The league, which today is the most inclusive in professional sports, has come light years since then even if society has not as a whole. In the Supreme Court ruling overturning Roe v. Wade, Justice Clarence Thomas cited three other rulings he’d like to see the court take up in the near future, each of which was instrumental in creating the pathway to national same-sex marriage rights. The topic of sexual orientation and identity remains an issue with some, which explains why Clark might be viewed even more favorably as an influencer.

That is not a knock against her personally or a slight to her sublime basketball skills. It is a nod to the reality that brand ambassadorship at her level is not simply a commentary on someone’s athletic ability. It’s also a reflection of society’s impact on who gets the biggest bags.
hqdefault.jpg

Newsflash! Most Americans are white and straight and companies use white straight people to get the white straight money for white straight stuff. But when it comes to black stuff that white people want (sneakers/ Beats headphones) they use the cool edgy black people (Jordan/ Dre) to sell them. For everything else they use Steph Curry, Charles Barkley and Megan Rapinoe.

This has been Econ/ Marketing 101.

Newsflash! Most Americans are white and straight and companies use white straight people to get the white straight money for white straight stuff. But when it comes to black stuff that white people want (sneakers/ Beats headphones) they use the cool edgy black people (Jordan/ Dre) to sell them. For everything else they use Steph Curry, Charles Barkley and Megan Rapinoe.

Where does Shaq fit in here?

He's right.
I think the disconnect is as follows. Most of you are white. For your race, Caitlin Clark is a generational talent. No doubt she is an amazing basketball player. For minority people, brown like me, or black, seeing her snatch a 28 million dollar deal without playing a single game in the WNBA screams racism. Is it justified? Who knows? I don't work in that market and couldn't tell you diddly squat about the WNBA. But I can see the hurt feelings. It is true that Tiger and Mike got endorsement deals. That happened once they actually did something in the respective sports, not college.

He's right.
I think the disconnect is as follows. Most of you are white. For your race, Caitlin Clark is a generational talent. No doubt she is an amazing basketball player. For minority people, brown like me, or black, seeing her snatch a 28 million dollar deal without playing a single game in the WNBA screams racism. Is it justified? Who knows? I don't work in that market and couldn't tell you diddly squat about the WNBA. But I can see the hurt feelings. It is true that Tiger and Mike got endorsement deals. That happened once they actually did something in the respective sports, not college.

Tiger had deals with Nike and Titleist before doing a single thing professionally. And it was for $40M (Nike only). And they built and entire golf line around him. And this was before NIL basically allowed you start being a pro before you're a pro (don't underestimate that impacting the timing with what's happening with CC22).

So yeah, your argument doesn't hold water. Generational talents are going to get deals. Black or white or purple. I can understand people wanting to make it about race though.

Edit to add: Here's the info as it seems you've forgotten about Tiger's deal.

He's right.
I believe Woods and Jordan got their first deals pretty early, maybe before they were pros? They, and hopefully Clark, had superstar written all over them from the beginning.

Tiger had deals with Nike and Titleist before doing a single thing professionally. And it was for $40M (Nike only). And they built and entire golf line around him. And this was before NIL basically allowed you start being a pro before you're a pro (don't underestimate that impacting the timing with what's happening with CC22).

So yeah, your argument doesn't hold water. Generational talents are going to get deals. Black or white or purple. I can understand people wanting to make it about race though.

Also, Lebron says hi.

Fair enough. How many black WNBA stars have a deal remotely close to Caitlin's? Wasn't that last lady Sabrina whats her name also white?

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
And here's the deal, to put it bluntly. Nike has had other stinkers. Let's see what she does in a couple of months. She might kick ass or fizzle. I wouldn't want that pressure on me.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus

Get them crackers out of our space!

He's right.
She is this generations "I want to be like Mike".

Dumb out of you Gohox.

Reactions: Chuck C
He's right.
It’s about the tens of millions of tv viewers not her race.

It really is that simple.

Fair enough. How many black WNBA stars have a deal remotely close to Caitlin's? Wasn't that last lady Sabrina whats her name also white?
I think the deal is as much for her game attendance and TV ratings the past year. Clark was a great college player, but also a big influencer without even trying. People were watching her like no one before in the college sport.

No doubt, Clark checks a lot of boxes. Ability, personality, intelligence. And it would be dishonest to ignore the demographics, but it would be equally dishonest to give them all the credit.

And here's the deal, to put it bluntly. Nike has had other stinkers. Let's see what she does in a couple of months. She might kick ass or fizzle. I wouldn't want that pressure on me.
One of the worst takes I’ve seen on HORT in a very long time.

Reactions: Chuck C
He's right.
Tiger and Mike's time was over 30 years ago, thinks in marketing have changed.

BTW Caitlin has done things in her respective sport.

Some just like pulling the R card for any "silly" reason.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
I
It is important to understand that none of this is a judgement for or against #22 but more a comment on corporate America and its relationship to American morality. Corporations are their best when they are amoral. Corporations are best when they do what they do best….make money. Individuals gets ground into the mix when they agree to earn a living via the corporate route. Although the individual is not responsible for this commentary, they are certainly singled out as a cause for the assertions made.

It is what it is. “Fans” cannot allow themselves to take this stuff personally. It isn’t. However, the corporation and how it conducts its business, does reflect the morals and ethics that best reflect those of their consumers. That might be what is most unsettling about this article.
If you had a choice between cc or angel its most likely cc. Reese cusses on Facebook so much even i was shocked. Not to mention ionesca is far more popular than the guard in front of her. I don't even know her name tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT