ADVERTISEMENT

Cuomo: Gyms still unsafe, will remain closed indefinitely

Gyms are more well equipped to handle proper safety and cleaning protocols than most any other business type. Seems shortsighted to make decisions that worsen the obesity epidemic during a pandemic wherein obesity is a primary risk factor for complications.

I do think restaurants, bars, gyms, etc should likely remain closed until community spread is very limited (which in NY it kind of is) but I also think their expenses should be covered as well and the staff and owners should be able to get immediate unemployment benefits.

Reactions: dgordo
This all sucks.... I don’t have the answers and hate false equivalence and additional disclaimer blah, blah, blah..... but man I don’t see how a gym cannot be made equally safe to a school or a bar or a church.

I do think restaurants, bars, gyms, etc should likely remain closed until community spread is very limited (which in NY it kind of is) but I also think their expenses should be covered as well and the staff and owners should be able to get immediate unemployment benefits.
No ducking way..gyms can be safe

Reactions: mcgrawfsu
That might be years or forever. Are you willing to compensate all those business owners for the loss of their investment?

This guy is pissed

giphy.gif

Gyms are more well equipped to handle proper safety and cleaning protocols than most any other business type. Seems shortsighted to make decisions that worsen the obesity epidemic during a pandemic wherein obesity is a primary risk factor for complications.
As we've seen in Florida, the issue isn't whether a business is equipped to handle the protocols but whether they will in the long term. The willingness to comply has been the issue here.

Reactions: billanole
As we've seen in Florida, the issue isn't whether a business is equipped to handle the protocols but whether they will in the long term. The willingness to comply has been the issue here.
I really think that what each of us are seeing might just be what's going on around us. I see - honestly - at least 95% compliance around me but I limit my outings to the store, work, and my gym. We have a local mask ordinance and we have to ask people to leave if they come into the dealership if they don't have a mask on. We also have masks on hand for them if they've forgotten theirs. All have complied.

I really think that what each of us are seeing might just be what's going on around us. I see - honestly - at least 95% compliance around me but I limit my outings to the store, work, and my gym. We have a local mask ordinance and we have to ask people to leave if they come into the dealership if they don't have a mask on. We also have masks on hand for them if they've forgotten theirs. All have complied.
There is a lot of truth in this. Here, because our local economy is so dependent on tourism, our commissioners won't do anything to upset the visitors. When they did close the beaches in March, that was during Spring Break which Walton County has been trying to stifle for years. Our BCC went as far as ask our county attorney if they had the legal authority to enact a mask ordinance ignoring the fact that 38 states and many other municipalities already have them. That attitude is precisely why we have such a lack of compliance here.

I'm happy for you and your city, Goldie.

Reactions: goldmom
I have to wonder if any business, besides health care, is more able to clean the facility and promote safe practices. Health, after all, is their goal.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT