ADVERTISEMENT

de-commits and transfer thread

He must be leaving at the semester for a new home. Otherwise you stay and possibly win a national championship with Michigan. I wonder if Wisc is the new destination now that they have their coach.

Cant he still play for Mich in the playoffs

I guess that depends on a few things. If he isn't registered for second semester classes then he probably won't be considered to be on the team. Not sure how all that works, and with the portal.

It would be really off if he were entering the portal so early that he'd be missing the postseason. Very little chance he ends up on another team that makes the CFP. He won't have any problem finding a home, and if QB1 were to get hurt and he became a natty hero....imagine the NIL.

Needs:
#1A OL (multiple)
#1B QB
#3 WR
#4 DB (at least 1)
I agree with but your #4. I would rather have another LB than DB. I know this debacle from Neb is fresh in our minds but realistically Iowa was to their #6 CB with Heinz (Moss, Dejean, Harris, Roberts, & Hall).

Assuming all of those guys are back except Moss, you still are going to have 3 guys with starter experience in Dejean, Harris, & Roberts. And Hall is only going to get better - he was just thrown into a tough situation. We know PP is going to use that bad experience to teach Hall and that Hall is talented. And there are a few other young guys in the background.

I just think after Jacobs and Higgins, there is a lot of unproven players in that unit next year.

Right now our #1 priority should be OL. We're going to need 2-4 new options for next year.

Guard should be the priority. Center is going to be Jones. Richman will be one tackle. If Proctor signs, he will be the other tackle. I suspect Colby will be a guard unless they find two absolute studs in the portal. That leaves one guard position undecided with DeJong, Elsbury, Dunker, Stephens, and Davidkov (if he stays) to compete. I doubt they will hit the portal hard at OL.

I agree with but your #4. I would rather have another LB than DB. I know this debacle from Neb is fresh in our minds but realistically Iowa was to their #6 CB with Heinz (Moss, Dejean, Harris, Roberts, & Hall).

Assuming all of those guys are back except Moss, you still are going to have 3 guys with starter experience in Dejean, Harris, & Roberts. And Hall is only going to get better - he was just thrown into a tough situation. We know PP is going to use that bad experience to teach Hall and that Hall is talented. And there are a few other young guys in the background.

I just think after Jacobs and Higgins, there is a lot of unproven players in that unit next year.
I thought it sounded as if Roberts wasn't coming back?

Reactions: SB_SB and owenhawk
Guard should be the priority. Center is going to be Jones. Richman will be one tackle. If Proctor signs, he will be the other tackle. I suspect Colby will be a guard unless they find two absolute studs in the portal. That leaves one guard position undecided with DeJong, Elsbury, Dunker, Stephens, and Davidkov (if he stays) to compete. I doubt they will hit the portal hard at OL.
Jones may be the center, but I would not be a bit surprised to see either Elsbury, Britt or Myslinski (sp)

Unpopular opinion:

This is the year our coaches need to have ugly conversations with several people on the roster and just go gang buster on best available players from juco/portal.

This

Isn't going to just go away. They need a bunch of new bodies and open competition at every offensive position.

I don't think they will hit it hard if they truly believe all of these young guys that played are talented and going to take steps next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they targeted at least 1 OL (at any of the spots) for experience/depth.

I think it should be in play but doubt it will be. How many snaps did Myslinski get this season?
0 snaps from the look of it. It's odd looking at the 2 deeps in spring, Elsbury was #1 at C with Jones and Fagan behind him. I don't know if Jones can move to a guard position, but his timing with snap delivery seems off all season to me. If they like him, I'd be happier to see him move off center. (now with that said, watch him go on to become the next Lindy).

To be honest, I can't remember where I heard it, but I do remember hearing it. I would absolutely be a huge fan of Scary Terry coming back
I saw something on Twitter from Roberts but it was very vague and honestly couldn't tell if it was a good or bad thing that he posted. I think the only way he doesn't return if he just feels like he's put in his time and ready to get on with life.

I think Hall is going to make a big step. It was probably good for him (not the team/fans :)) to be thrown into the mix like that and be able to use that for his growth this coming year.

PP must think highly of him to put him in that spot as a True Fr.

0 snaps from the look of it. It's odd looking at the 2 deeps in spring, Elsbury was #1 at C with Jones and Fagan behind him. I don't know if Jones can move to a guard position, but his timing with snap delivery seems off all season to me. If they like him, I'd be happier to see him move off center. (now with that said, watch him go on to become the next Lindy).

I believe he is Center next year. I agree he had a rough first year but expect him to be much better next year IF someone different is coaching the O line. If that doesn't happen, they could bring back Scherff, Wirfs, and Lindy and the line would still be garbage.

This thread seems like a Christmas list you make when you are a kid when you don’t know your parents are super poor. Lots of wishful thinking
Dear Santa, I'll take a Florida red rider duo QB/WR like Brad Banks and CJ "CU Later" Jones. We don't need an OL with a QB that can move in the pocket.

If they don't hit the portal for all the OL positions then they're missing an opportunity. What we have isn't cutting it and chances are next year they're not all going to improve. No position on the OL should be safe. What QB is going to want to come play for the OL we currently have? To get a QB, the staff is going to have to show their plan for improving the offense. We were not just a QB away from a good offense this year.

If they don't hit the portal for all the OL positions then they're missing an opportunity. What we have isn't cutting it and chances are next year they're not all going to improve. No position on the OL should be safe. What QB is going to want to come play for the OL we currently have? To get a QB, the staff is going to have to show their plan for improving the offense. We were not just a QB away from a good offense this year.

The reason they didn't improve is coaching. If the same coach/es are responsible for their development, it won't matter how many studs we bring in.

Reactions: hawkod
The reason they didn't improve is coaching. If the same coach/es are responsible for their development, it won't matter how many studs we bring in.
I wish it was just coaching but it's not. Let's bring in the studs and prove me wrong.

The O line inexperience claim is overstated. Plumb is a 5th-year player. DeJong is in his 4th year. Richman is in his third year and second as a full-time starter. The issue is not
inexperience nearly as much as development.
I am in the middle on this. Plumb and DeJong are experienced but I don't believe they are near as talented as the younger guys. They played out of necessity.

Richman and Colby are two guys who have played the last two years because they are talented but they have been still young and growing. Next year, the inexperience/youth excuse can't be made - they need to take the next step.

Stephens, Dunker, and Elsbury - this is their first real action and they are 2 FR & a Soph. That tells me they have some talent to and now with a year experience, maybe they can make the jump.

Jones - who knows ... I doubt he will ever be Linderbaum but they must have seen something in him. We have to remember it's his first yr at that position. Optimistically, he makes a big jump and can be at least solid next yr.

Then MAYBE you have both Davidikov and Britt coming back in addition to MAYBE Proctor and Lauck coming in.

I would say ALL of those guys have more talent/potential than Plumb/DeJong.

If 5-6 of those 10 can make jumps and/or pan out, that means the OL could make a jump with what they have in-house.

But agreed the development needs to be there and this will be a very telling year for Barnett. And I am all for adding 1-2 in portal if it is immediate upgrade, even for a year as some of the young guys still come along.

I am in the middle on this. Plumb and DeJong are experienced but I don't believe they are near as talented as the younger guys. They played out of necessity.

Richman and Colby are two guys who have played the last two years because they are talented but they have been still young and growing. Next year, the inexperience/youth excuse can't be made - they need to take the next step.

Stephens, Dunker, and Elsbury - this is their first real action and they are 2 FR & a Soph. That tells me they have some talent to and now with a year experience, maybe they can make the jump.

Jones - who knows ... I doubt he will ever be Linderbaum but they must have seen something in him. We have to remember it's his first yr at that position. Optimistically, he makes a big jump and can be at least solid next yr.

Then MAYBE you have both Davidikov and Britt coming back in addition to MAYBE Proctor and Lauck coming in.

I would say ALL of those guys have more talent/potential than Plumb/DeJong.

If 5-6 of those 10 can make jumps and/or pan out, that means the OL could make a jump with what they have in-house.

But agreed the development needs to be there and this will be a very telling year for Barnett. And I am all for adding 1-2 in portal if it is immediate upgrade, even for a year as some of the young guys still come along.

A grad transfer tackle and guard would be welcome additions. But it is unlikely game-changing underclassmen will be available in large numbers because they will stay where they are already playing or declare for the draft if eligible.

Reactions: owenhawk
A grad transfer tackle and guard would be welcome additions. But it is unlikely game-changing underclassmen will be available in large numbers because they will stay where they are already playing or declare for the draft if eligible.
Agreed. If they can get solid grad transfer for OG or OT to fill gaps to see if these young guys can continue to grow/develop (and we know there will be injuries like there always is, so the more the better), than would love to bring them in for a year.

Reactions: Hammer93
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT